1.    #1  
    Android Central: 10.1 inch Toshiba Thrive coming in July, and priced right

Best Buy Pre-Orders June 13th.

Engadget: Toshiba Thrive tablet with Android 3.1 ships in July, starts at $429

Thisismynext: Toshiba’s Thrive Honeycomb tablet starts at $429

"...Like the other WiFi Honeycomb tablets, the Thrive is priced to compete — the 8GB version will go for $429, the 16GB for $479, and the 32GB for $579. Not too shabby for a tablet with an IPS display, but how exactly is this one different from the loads of other 10.1-inch, Tegra 2 Android tablets hitting the market? Well, first of all it will launch with 3.1, but Barney also stressed the fact that the Thrive’s got full-sized USB and HDMI ports as well as a swappable battery. In fact, the entire back of the tablet comes off and you can buy color backs for $19.99. Whether those things make up for its .62-inch thickness is something we’ll have to wait on."
    Yea, but it's Toshiba...

And you think $429 for an 8GB model is "right"?
    Last edited by Orion Antares; 06/02/2011 at 05:26 PM.
    I admit it is $20 cheaper than comparably spec'd Xoom but it is actually more expensive than both Acer iconia and Asus Transformer (based on secondary storage capacity).

I still think Asus Transformer has the correct price, I just bought it . I can now wait for touchpad and Pre3. I will only buy one if I can get both and on Sprint (the phone not the tablet).
    I'd like a cheaper Touchpad at 8GB, but Toshiba's 16GB is only $20 cheaper than the expected price of the 16GB Touchpad. Not worth downgrading for $20, IMO.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Yea, but it's Toshiba...

And you think $429 for an 8GB model is "right"?
    No, I am not saying $429 is the right price. That is the headline from Android Central.

Toshiba needed to undercut the Asus $399 price. Both the Asus and Toshiba are 1280x800 HD, HD record, and HD out, 5MP rear camera, real IPS displays, and have 200,000 apps.

But the $399 Asus Transformer is thinner and lighter and has the netbook option. Plus for $30 less the Asus has twice the memory.

Why would you spend $30 more than the Transformer to get so much less?

Toshiba is in a bind because they do not actually make the Thrive. Toshiba is just the middle man. Asus really makes tablets and has been an OEM for HP, Dell, and Toshiba for decades.

Asus, Acer, Samsung, LG, and HTC are making their own tablets and saving the 30% middle-man cut. How does Toshiba compete against that?
  6.    #6  
    AndroidPolice is reporting that:

Toshiba Thrive Pre-Orders Live On Toshiba Direct Starting At $429

Spec Summary
    Display: 10" 1280x800
    CPU: Dual core
    SD Card Slot: 8GB, 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, 128GB compatible
    HD: HDMI 1080p
    HD Record: 1080p record
    Camera: 5MP Autofocus, Zoom, etc.
    Price: $429

Tablet Comparison Chart
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Yea, but it's Toshiba...
    and its Android

My Pre Does EXACTLY What I Need It To Do, And Thats Why I Have A webOS Relationship.

Facebook: facebook.com/LordSecksie
    Twitter: @LordSecksie
    TextOne: LordSecksie