1.    #1  
    Hi, Pre- user here but I recently got the Galaxy Tab 7 on ATT ($200 refurb deal, no contract). I thought about posting this on the Android forum but me being an Android newbie, I don't even know where to begin in their mega forum so I'm gonna post here hoping there are some informed webOS-Android ppl

My Pre's OC'ed and patched liked crazy so I'm fine with doing similar to Tab to get it to better performance and features. Stock Tab comes with 2.2 Froyo with some ATT crapware. I already rooted using SuperOneClick but that's really all I've done. I've found some info on Overcome ROM with the latest being 2.3 Gingerbread plus it's been tweaked to remove junk you don't need and add apps that are helpful, as well as increased speed. This will mean you wipe your stock ROM clean. Samsung however also announced recently that they're going to begin rolling out Gingerbread update on Tabs...

So should I go with Overcome ROM or stay stock and wait for the official Gingerbread? I'm fine tinkering but don't want to do too much tinkering and also get in an endless process of always having to tinker, patch, update, etc. One of the concerns I have with a custom ROM is when a new update comes out (the next progression will be Honeycomb I'm assuming), would I need to do another ROM flash and if so, I'm also assuming everytime you flash the ROM, you'd need to first back up all your data and restore later, correct? Which would mean more work... If you do OTA update with the official Samsung update, do you need to go through all the backup procedures or is it more like the webOS OTA update?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    Hi, Pre- user here but I recently got the Galaxy Tab 7 on ATT ($200 refurb deal, no contract). I thought about posting this on the Android forum but me being an Android newbie, I don't even know where to begin in their mega forum so I'm gonna post here hoping there are some informed webOS-Android ppl

My Pre's OC'ed and patched liked crazy so I'm fine with doing similar to Tab to get it to better performance and features. Stock Tab comes with 2.2 Froyo with some ATT crapware. I already rooted using SuperOneClick but that's really all I've done. I've found some info on Overcome ROM with the latest being 2.3 Gingerbread plus it's been tweaked to remove junk you don't need and add apps that are helpful, as well as increased speed. This will mean you wipe your stock ROM clean. Samsung however also announced recently that they're going to begin rolling out Gingerbread update on Tabs...

So should I go with Overcome ROM or stay stock and wait for the official Gingerbread? I'm fine tinkering but don't want to do too much tinkering and also get in an endless process of always having to tinker, patch, update, etc. One of the concerns I have with a custom ROM is when a new update comes out (the next progression will be Honeycomb I'm assuming), would I need to do another ROM flash and if so, I'm also assuming everytime you flash the ROM, you'd need to first back up all your data and restore later, correct? Which would mean more work... If you do OTA update with the official Samsung update, do you need to go through all the backup procedures or is it more like the webOS OTA update?

Thanks!
    This may or may not be the answer you were looking for but go to xda Samsung Galaxy Tab - xda-developers. They should be able to answer all of your questions faster than someone will be able to here.