1.    #1  
    Pretty spectacular:
    Apple - iPad in Business - Profiles - Redlands Police Department
    Apple - iPad in Business - Profiles - Hyatt Hotels & Resorts

Watch the videos, and check out the other business demos. I had no idea about any of this.
    I clicked on it briefly, didn't have patience to watch video etc. Story out today (AP?) about airline pilots getting 29 flight manual pdfs loaded onto iPads, saving about 50 lbs per pilot's bag. I appreciate the fule save and hope the batteries don't fail while in flight.
    Interesting video...but yes...what happens when the pilot forgets to charge his flight manual. Can you imagine all the iPad USB charging docks plugged into airplane dashboards.

Either way, I thought the videos were pretty cool and maybe HP can do similar when NASA gets into some of HP's new gear and technology. Also note, Apple is using some heavy marketing muscle with these videos...smart move on their part. Sorli...
    I don't know of many flights that last longer than ten hours. or especially for which a flight manual needs to be *open* for ten hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    I clicked on it briefly, didn't have patience to watch video etc. Story out today (AP?) about airline pilots getting 29 flight manual pdfs loaded onto iPads, saving about 50 lbs per pilot's bag. I appreciate the fule save and hope the batteries don't fail while in flight.
    For those purposes, ANY tablet will do. iFad is currently the most ubiquitous and is selected. This time next year these stories will be about 'droid tablets (and we hope TouchPad as well seeing as how there's an better than 70% chance HP is powering their server systems.

Companies....love....unified.....solutions. It's as simple as that. Proliants coupled with Vectras and TouchPads is not a hard sell by any stretch of the imagination.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Interesting video...but yes...what happens when the pilot forgets to charge his flight manual. Can you imagine all the iPad USB charging docks plugged into airplane dashboards.

Either way, I thought the videos were pretty cool and maybe HP can do similar when NASA gets into some of HP's new gear and technology. Also note, Apple is using some heavy marketing muscle with these videos...smart move on their part. Sorli...
    I've charged my iPad on international flights before; I'm sure if I have the capability as a passenger, a pilot does in the cockpit.
    This has been covered ad nauseam in the media. However, it should be noted that while the FCC did approve the use of the iPad in the cockpit, it also required that a backup be present should the iPad fail. No one has specifically said whether that backup can be another iPad or something else, but the smart money is on the backup being the paper manual.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I've charged my iPad on international flights before; I'm sure if I have the capability as a passenger, a pilot does in the cockpit.
    Been a while since I've flown. Do planes have USB interfaces now for charging or are they still using those funky airplane cigarette adapters? Either way, thanks for the reminder. Sorli...
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Been a while since I've flown. Do planes have USB interfaces now for charging or are they still using those funky airplane cigarette adapters? Either way, thanks for the reminder. Sorli...
    It depends, I have seen both AC and USB plugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    I don't know of many flights that last longer than ten hours. or especially for which a flight manual needs to be *open* for ten hours.
    I know a QANTAS pilot that uses his iPad for work to access navigation charts, notes, manuals, etc while in the cockpit. Most of his flights are well over 10 hours, but it's not in use for all of that time (turned off for takeoff and landing, in "flight mode" for the rest of the time). It gets a lot of use between flights for reading newspapers and novels.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Asia and Australia are 13-15 hours I believe. Although I wonder if auto pilot negates the need for a flight manual to be open that long. Disclaimer: I know nothing about being a pilot, just speculating about whether the manual needs to remain open, lol.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!