01/07/2011, 04:19 PM
Please post TouchPad, iPad 2, Xoom, PlayBook, and Galaxy Tab comparisons here.
Note that TouchPad carriers, pricing, and delivery dates are not known at this time. HDMI cables, inductive chargers, and other optional accessories not included in the base prices.
• Apps: Specific apps/compatible apps - For instance, the "0k/5k" for the TouchPad shows no apps specificaly for the tablet yet but 5,000 apps will be compatible. The iPad 2 lacks Adobe Flash.
• microSD: Keep your favorite movies, music, and photos with you. Key to backups. 16 GB ~$26 - 32 GB ~$55 & 64GB
• HDMI: Allows HD output to a TV or projector for home theater or business presentations.
• iPhone notifications pop-up and require you to open the app right away. webOS, PlayBook, and Android let you see and respond later.
• Just Type is similar to Android Search and iPhone Spotlight (customize). Android Voice Actions and iPhone Voice Commands accept voice commands. HP may be adding "Voice features."
• Synergy will allow developers to sync their apps into contacts and calendar like Android Contact sync. Apple has no ability like this.
• HP ePrint should be similar to iPhone apps like Printopia and Android Google Print. ePrint works with few printers and requires special server software.
• Proximity Transfer allows nearby devices to transfer information. Bump (2009) transfers contacts, songs, photos, events, money, friends, and apps between iPhones or Androids. The Nexus S and S 4G and Galaxy S II offer similar 2009 Near Field Communication standards. HP Touch-to-share (2011) transfers URLs, text, or calls between devices with the same HP profile. BlackBerry Bridge (2010) offers similar sharing with a BlackBerry phone.
• HP Video Chat: should be very similar to iPhone Facetime and Android Qik.
• Folders: iPhone and Android can have 256 apps just 3 taps away.
• Multitasking: Compare Multitasking, Android Multitasking, Apple Cards Video.
• Cards: When you double tap the iPad Home button, you can swipe through recent apps but this is not true cards and Stacks. Android Honeycomb and BlackBerry Playbook also use cards.
• Inductive Charging: The Touchstone, Powermat, Enerergizer Wireless Charger, and Duracell myGrid wirelessly (based on Nikola Tesla's induction patents).
• Keyboard: The Asus Transform turns into a netbook with the optional keyboard. The HP TouchPad wireless keyboard, Apple iPad keyboard dock and wireless keyboard, Xoom keyboard, and Samsung keyboard are available at an addition cost.
• CPU Speed, dual cores, and memory are important but so is optimizing the operating system and software. (tests, more)
Pre|Central TouchPad Articles:
• PreCentral.net: TouchPad vs iPad 2
• HP TouchPad - 9.7 inches of webOS!
• TouchPad - Exclusive - Kindle - Ad - Hands-on -Changes - New apps
• Touchstone Technology Expands: Exhibition, Touch-to-Share
• Current webOS apps will run in emulation on webOS 3 / TouchPad
• Asus Transformer Website - Android Central - Amazon UK
• Acer Iconia A500 Official Website - Android Central Review - Best Buy
• Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 - Samsung Site - Android Central - Keyboard
• Apple - iPad Official Site - Actually made by Foxconn
- - Keyboard - Wireless keyboard
• Xoom Official Site - WSJ: Xoom Costs $278 - Bill of Materials
- - Made by Foxconn - CES: Xoom specs | ZDNet - Keyboard
- - BGR: XOOM not a flop - Xoom orders drop - zdnet: Sales underwhelming
• Toshiba Official Site - Amazon - Android Central - cnet - Phone Arena
• RIM BlackBerry Playbook - Best Buy - No keyboard option
- - DOA: PlayBook to Ship Without Mail, Messaging or Contacts
- - RIM PlayBook's Big Weakness: BlackBerry Required
• PDAdb.net Mobile Device Comparison
• iPad 2 vs. Xoom vs. TouchPad vs. PlayBook -Engadget
• Comparison Chart: Motorola XOOM vs. iPad (Updated) - Droid Life
• Apple iPad 2, Motorola XOOM Wi-Fi, HP TouchPad - Phone Arena
• HP TouchPad, 4G PlayBook, Galaxy Tab 4G LTE - Phone Arena
• Phone Arena: Galaxy vs Asus
Pre 3, Veer, and TouchPad Comparisons:
• Atrix, Thunderbolt and EVO 3D • iPhone 4 & iPhone 3GS
• HP TouchPad vs. iPad 2, Xoom, PlayBook, Galaxy Tab
Palm Pre/Pre 2 Comparisons:
- 4.3" HTC EVO - 4.3" Droid X - 4" Captivate - iPhone 4
- w/Keyboards: 4" Samsung Epic - 3.7" Droid 2 Global
See our sister site, TiPb, for much more on the iPad and iPad 2. See Android Central for Android forums and a getting started guide.