webOS Nation Forums >  HP TouchPad >  Other webOS Tablets > HP TouchPad vs. iPad 2, Xoom, PlayBook, Galaxy 10, Acer, Asus
HP TouchPad vs. iPad 2, Xoom, PlayBook, Galaxy 10, Acer, Asus
View Poll Results: Who Will Be Getting The iPad 2?
Yes 53 19.78%
No 78 29.10%
Hold Out for HP TouchPad 137 51.12%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree30Likes

Old 01/07/2011, 04:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Please post TouchPad, iPad 2, Xoom, PlayBook, and Galaxy Tab comparisons here.

KEY SPECIFICATIONS
Note that TouchPad carriers, pricing, and delivery dates are not known at this time. HDMI cables, inductive chargers, and other optional accessories not included in the base prices.

NOTES

Apps: Specific apps/compatible apps - For instance, the "0k/5k" for the TouchPad shows no apps specificaly for the tablet yet but 5,000 apps will be compatible. The iPad 2 lacks Adobe Flash.

microSD: Keep your favorite movies, music, and photos with you. Key to backups. 16 GB ~$26 - 32 GB ~$55 & 64GB

HDMI: Allows HD output to a TV or projector for home theater or business presentations.

iPhone notifications pop-up and require you to open the app right away. webOS, PlayBook, and Android let you see and respond later.

Just Type is similar to Android Search and iPhone Spotlight (customize). Android Voice Actions and iPhone Voice Commands accept voice commands. HP may be adding "Voice features."

Synergy will allow developers to sync their apps into contacts and calendar like Android Contact sync. Apple has no ability like this.

HP ePrint should be similar to iPhone apps like Printopia and Android Google Print. ePrint works with few printers and requires special server software.

Proximity Transfer allows nearby devices to transfer information. Bump (2009) transfers contacts, songs, photos, events, money, friends, and apps between iPhones or Androids. The Nexus S and S 4G and Galaxy S II offer similar 2009 Near Field Communication standards. HP Touch-to-share (2011) transfers URLs, text, or calls between devices with the same HP profile. BlackBerry Bridge (2010) offers similar sharing with a BlackBerry phone.

HP Video Chat: should be very similar to iPhone Facetime and Android Qik.

Folders: iPhone and Android can have 256 apps just 3 taps away.

Multitasking: Compare Multitasking, Android Multitasking, Apple Cards Video.

Cards: When you double tap the iPad Home button, you can swipe through recent apps but this is not true cards and Stacks. Android Honeycomb and BlackBerry Playbook also use cards.

Inductive Charging: The Touchstone, Powermat, Enerergizer Wireless Charger, and Duracell myGrid wirelessly (based on Nikola Tesla's induction patents).

Keyboard: The Asus Transform turns into a netbook with the optional keyboard. The HP TouchPad wireless keyboard, Apple iPad keyboard dock and wireless keyboard, Xoom keyboard, and Samsung keyboard are available at an addition cost.

CPU Speed, dual cores, and memory are important but so is optimizing the operating system and software. (tests, more)

Pre|Central TouchPad Articles:
PreCentral.net: TouchPad vs iPad 2
HP TouchPad - 9.7 inches of webOS!
TouchPad - Exclusive - Kindle - Ad - Hands-on -Changes - New apps
Touchstone Technology Expands: Exhibition, Touch-to-Share
Current webOS apps will run in emulation on webOS 3 / TouchPad

Other Resources:
Asus Transformer Website - Android Central - Amazon UK
- - Rooted - Videos: Commercial - Asus demo - User unboxing
Acer Iconia A500 Official Website - Android Central Review - Best Buy
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 - Samsung Site - Android Central - Keyboard
Apple - iPad Official Site - Actually made by Foxconn
- - Keyboard - Wireless keyboard
Xoom Official Site - WSJ: Xoom Costs $278 - Bill of Materials
- - Made by Foxconn - CES: Xoom specs | ZDNet - Keyboard
- - BGR: XOOM not a flop - Xoom orders drop - zdnet: Sales underwhelming
Toshiba Official Site - Amazon - Android Central - cnet - Phone Arena
RIM BlackBerry Playbook - Best Buy - No keyboard option
- - DOA: PlayBook to Ship Without Mail, Messaging or Contacts
- - RIM PlayBook's Big Weakness: BlackBerry Required

Comparisons:
Spreadsheet
PDAdb.net Mobile Device Comparison
iPad 2 vs. Xoom vs. TouchPad vs. PlayBook -Engadget
Comparison Chart: Motorola XOOM vs. iPad (Updated) - Droid Life
Apple iPad 2, Motorola XOOM Wi-Fi, HP TouchPad - Phone Arena
HP TouchPad, 4G PlayBook, Galaxy Tab 4G LTE - Phone Arena
Phone Arena: Galaxy vs Asus

Pre 3, Veer, and TouchPad Comparisons:
Atrix, Thunderbolt and EVO 3D iPhone 4 & iPhone 3GS
HP TouchPad vs. iPad 2, Xoom, PlayBook, Galaxy Tab

Palm Pre/Pre 2 Comparisons:
- 4.3" HTC EVO - 4.3" Droid X - 4" Captivate - iPhone 4
- w/Keyboards: 4" Samsung Epic - 3.7" Droid 2 Global

See our sister site, TiPb, for much more on the iPad and iPad 2. See Android Central for Android forums and a getting started guide.

Last edited by milominderbinder; 06/29/2011 at 09:18 AM.
milominderbinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2011, 07:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Playbook battery life will be equal or greater than Ipad with smaller battery.

Engadget
kinster02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2011, 07:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Having used it in person, I can honestly say this is no where near true. Even when they were showing them off in Vegas (always plugged in) the batteries were not nearly full, and were always on charge...
ObiGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2011, 08:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiGeorge View Post
Having used it in person, I can honestly say this is no where near true. Even when they were showing them off in Vegas (always plugged in) the batteries were not nearly full, and were always on charge...
Which have you used in person? iPad or Playbook? Both? If you've used the Playbook, what kind of battery life did you get?
taharka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2011, 08:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Both. I was speaking of the PlayBook. I can't comment on battery life for sure.....but, it def shouldn't show less than 100% when the device is on constant charge for a week, lol
Thanked By: taharka
Old 01/24/2011, 08:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

If we're to be honest, we will never actually know until the device is widely available.
But looking at the supposed specs of the Playbook I find it difficult to see how it will be able to get that much battery life under normal use (forget heavy use).
pip smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2011, 08:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
If we're to be honest, we will never actually know until the device is widely available.
But looking at the supposed specs of the Playbook I find it difficult to see how it will be able to get that much battery life under normal use (forget heavy use).
Completely agree, especially with all the newer builds constantly coming up for it. But yeah, having a dual core processor is a battery burner. Good thing RIM has always been known for getting great battery life outta their products.
Old 01/24/2011, 08:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Both. I was speaking of the PlayBook. I can't comment on battery life for sure.....but, it def shouldn't show less than 100% when the device is on constant charge for a week, lol
OK, I thought you had some hard numbers. I'm curious to know what the real numbers are since the manufacturers always lie...er..."use it under ideal circumstances".
taharka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2011, 08:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taharka View Post
OK, I thought you had some hard numbers. I'm curious to know what the real numbers are since the manufacturers always lie...er..."use it under ideal circumstances".
The thing is, they are constantly changing and getting better. Those numbers they released are probably what they expect (or hope) the device will have at launch
Old 01/24/2011, 08:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

The main thing I am interested to see is peoples reaction to not having an app on the PlayBook for email/email associated calendar etc. At launch, you will only have these features available when paired to a BlackBerry.
Old 01/24/2011, 11:05 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
Playbook battery life will be equal or greater than Ipad with smaller battery.

Engadget
Ipad battery is amazing. It last forever even with the heavy use.
StuckwVerizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2011, 02:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
Ipad battery is amazing. It last forever even with the heavy use.
Well, it should only get better with the second generation.
kinster02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2011, 07:57 AM   #13 (permalink)

Or stay the same if it gets thinner and lighter.

I also find it hard to believe that a tablet smaller and lighter with a more graphic intensive UI will get equal battery life to the iPad. I'm skeptical of both Honeycomb and Playbook, both are new and don't benefit from the years of optimization that iOS has.
mordbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2011, 08:33 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
RIM already commented on it a while back:

RIM: BlackBerry PlayBook battery life is still being optimized, won't cause delays -- Engadget

Its silly doubting non-finalized software/hardware. Not saying it might not still be a weak battery...but i can't judge non release products on things like that.
DougB541#CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2011, 08:33 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordbane View Post
Or stay the same if it gets thinner and lighter.

I also find it hard to believe that a tablet smaller and lighter with a more graphic intensive UI will get equal battery life to the iPad. I'm skeptical of both Honeycomb and Playbook, both are new and don't benefit from the years of optimization that iOS has.
Honeycomb is more of a UI shift than anything else with android....android is solidly optimized as well.

I'll agree on playbook and even webOS tablet.
Old 01/25/2011, 09:44 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
Honeycomb is more of a UI shift than anything else with android....android is solidly optimized as well.

I'll agree on playbook and even webOS tablet.
Why would you agree on webOS when you nothing about the version of webOS the tablet will be running?
If HP was to turn off logging in webOS then there would already be a huge increase in batt life.
Old 01/25/2011, 10:01 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
Why would you agree on webOS when you nothing about the version of webOS the tablet will be running?
If HP was to turn off logging in webOS then there would already be a huge increase in batt life.
Because i'm going off what the current state of WebOS is. Sure, they could've fully optimized it....but remember, WebOS has only been out a year and a few months...it wasn't a slight...optimization just comes with time most of the time.
Old 01/25/2011, 11:06 AM   #18 (permalink)

All companies post their "regular use" battery life time, but dont count how much less it can be when playing games or watching movies, which is what "regular users" do
Old 01/25/2011, 11:59 AM   #19 (permalink)

Palm Pre's battery life is equal or greater than tesla car with smaller battery.
Old 01/25/2011, 12:13 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
Because i'm going off what the current state of WebOS is. Sure, they could've fully optimized it....but remember, WebOS has only been out a year and a few months...it wasn't a slight...optimization just comes with time most of the time.
I know how long webOS has been out. So what is the current state of webOS?Or is that just your opinion with nothing to back it up?

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0