View Poll Results: Who Will Be Getting The iPad 2?

Voters
268. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

53 19.78%
  • No

78 29.10%
  • Hold Out for HP TouchPad

137 51.12%
Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Yep. And remember that the iPhone is the *ultimate* smartphone and has the best hardware, best software, and iTunes, it can never be beat by anyone. Oh wait....

Android's U.S. market share hits 53% - Google 24/7 - Fortune Tech

Apples arrogance will see the iPad in the exact same position as the iPhone...number two.

Two things...

Number one, which Android device is outselling the iPhone 4? Apple has sold well over 30 million iPhone 4's. Please tell me which other Android manufacturer has sold that many of one model of an Android device.

Number two, iOS consists of the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. All three devices run the same OS, all three can run just about all the same apps, excepts the ones specifically made for the iPad.

So, what's the market share of all iOS devices that can all run the same apps compared to all the Android devices that can all run the same apps? Let's not forget about the fragmentation problem on the Android platform when you provide some info.

Oh, and which ONE company is taking over half of all smartphone profits? That's way more important than pushing out a bunch of cheap crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Assuming the rumors/cases are correct, it's also thinner and lighter. That is a big advantage.
    That would depend on why it's thinner and lighter. Especially if the reason effects power and battery life.
    This is a really subjective topic. Apple's iPad has lots of competition. However, Apple does such a great job of product releases, good timing, and spectucular marketing. Apple makes it seem like their is no competition the way they set things up.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Oh, and which ONE company is taking over half of all smartphone profits?
    Which one? Nokia or Samsung?
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    Which one? Nokia or Samsung?
    Neither.

Read all about it here...

AppleInsider | Apple's 4% mobile market share rakes in over half the industry's profit

With just 4.2 percent of the global mobile phone market, Apple's iPhone accounts for a massive 51 percent of the total profits
    <<moved>>
    Just call me Berd.
    According to the Street, the iPad 2 could start at $399. I'm not sure if it has to be the iPad 2, or just the original. At $399, I believe it is game over for the competition for at least another year. None of the major players can come close to that. I believe they are already doing the best they can, and are still higher than the iPad.

I realize this thread has a shelf-life of less than a day, but it is fun to speculate. I think they would have gone that low if they had any pressure from the competition on the price front. As it stands, $499 still makes them the low-price leader in the premium market if the rumored TP pricing holds.

So, what would happen. Does Moto, Sammy, and everyone else start a price war? Can they? Does HP make any changes to meet the price? What could they change at this point? I think RIM would be least affected, as their offering seems more like an accessory to BB phones. Those who want to augment their BB experience would probably buy the PB regardless of price comparison.

For me, the difference would be that I would buy two on day one rather than the one I plan to buy. There is increasing reason to believe that it will be available immediately. The iPad channel is drying up fast. That also suggests that they will not be continuing the original as a low-end offering as they are clearing the channel.

Thoughts?

Apple's iPad 2: The Price Is Right - TheStreet
    I think it would just be that they drop the original to 399 to make it fly, till it runs out.

And if thats going to be the case, i think the 499 would still be the price to beat if the originals r going to be all gone in a couple months.
    Has iFixit ever done teardowns of the Galaxy Tab or the Xoom? I'm wondering how much profit Samsung and Motorola make on each unit.

Actually, what I'm really wondering is whether or not it's feasible for Samsung to sell the Galaxy Tab at a loss just to try to establish some sort of relevance in a market with a $399 iPad?
    Average selling price of $625/phone. Gouge much, Mr. Jobs? This is Exxon territory.

This is a perfect time for my favorite quote of all time:

"No man ever lost money underestimating the stupidity of the American public" - P.T. Barnum
    -beta testing WebOS since June 2009.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Has iFixit ever done teardowns of the Galaxy Tab or the Xoom? I'm wondering how much profit Samsung and Motorola make on each unit.

Actually, what I'm really wondering is whether or not it's feasible for Samsung to sell the Galaxy Tab at a loss just to try to establish some sort of relevance in a market with a $399 iPad?
    No way Sammy would sell at a loss. They have no post-sale premium like an app or music store. It is possible Google would swoop in to directly subsidize all Google Experience tablets. But the individual tablet makers could not sell at a loss and hope to make it up in volume.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    This is a really subjective topic. Apple's iPad has lots of competition. However, Apple does such a great job of product releases, good timing, and spectucular marketing. Apple makes it seem like their is no competition the way they set things up.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

You're correct IMO. The carrier restrictions and pricing ruin the competition. Only Apple sells independently first, which people seem to prefer. Then through carriers as a secondary method. Everyone else wants a carrier contract or activation for a price. I have not seen either the Galaxy Tab nor the Xoom for sale independently yet. Apple did it that way from the get go.

I do need the data version of whatever tablet I get, but I still don't like the idea of getting strong armed into buying data just to use a tablet that has wifi. The carriers are treating these like their smartphones, which is a bad idea.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurgling View Post
    Average selling price of $625/phone. Gouge much, Mr. Jobs? This is Exxon territory.
    How is that out of line with the true cost of a phone?

I think I saw something recently that had the ASP of the new Optimus in the 600ish range.
    Last edited by nappy; 03/01/2011 at 05:05 PM.
    We have no clue what the TP will be priced at.

For all we know, it could be $199 just as much as it could be $799.

Speculation, at this point, would be really pointless, because we don't know what HP is willing to do to get into the Pad market, significantly.

Having said the above, with all of the momentum of the faithful Apple consumers driving this bus right now, if the iPad 2 is $399 or lower (if the iPad2 does live up to the pre-announcement hype and performs well, thereafter), it could, indeed, be "game over" for all new entrants, or at least a very steep uphill climb to achieve any significant market share.

Addendum:

If I were HP, and I wanted to get the TP into this market badly, I'd underprice my first 500,000 units to some ridiculously low introductory price (like $150 or thereabouts), and then sell the rest at their "normal" price after those are gone, which would be at what I had originally projected.
    Last edited by LCGuy; 03/01/2011 at 05:42 PM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

it would mean they need to figure out a way to make one for around the same price that is competitive.

thats about it.
    There are four lights.
    If the ipad2 is 399, then 2011 is over as far as tablets are concerned. They'd have an ipad at every price range (considering the price drop on the ipad1's).

they'd also be the only company that can push a high end tablet that cheap considering they bought the lionshare of tablet components.
    Ipad at 3.99 means that I personally still wouldn't buy one.
    I disagree, the competitors are doing the worst they can with high priced carrier requirements.

For me, the iPad 2 data version at around $500-$550(you know it'll be more than $400) without a contract commitment = sale.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    it means nothing to me
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast