View Poll Results: Who Will Be Getting The iPad 2?

Voters
268. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

53 19.78%
  • No

78 29.10%
  • Hold Out for HP TouchPad

137 51.12%
Page 8 of 43 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    on battery life: didn't engadget mention that the touchpad has a 6300 mAh battery? that's enormous for a tablet...
    how big is the ipads?
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    The iPad2 also exists already. Apple always has their new products ready, well ahead of time.
    Well, rumors are that the iPad 2 will be ready, but it was 2 months between the original iPad announcement & when they were available.

Still quicker/more timely then Palm or HP, but...
    To be clear, I wish SJ good health and long life and ending of Apple's dominance not as result of SJ's departure.
    Just read this article discussing why the ipad is still no.1 but the only two companies who have the potential is HP and RIm but have not done anything..... some we already know but its nice to hear ti from other sources than us

Apple’s iPad Still Has No Competition

Editorís Note: Jim Dalrymple has been writing about Apple for more than 15 years. You can follow him on Twitter @jdalrymple and on his Web site at The Loop.

Itís been almost a year since Apple released the iPad and weíre less than a week away from the unveiling of the iPad 2, and still thereís no competition.

There are a few very good reasons for Appleís success and why its competitors are finding it difficult to gain any traction against the king of digital devices. Thereís the infrastructure, the combination of hardware and software, and the fact that its competitors are content to settle for second best.

Letís look at these separately.

Apple didnít invent the tablet, but it did popularize the concept and how it fits into our lifestyle. Clearly the evidence of this is that every tablet announced or released since the iPad looks just like it.

The fact that every company making a tablet is trying to compete with what Apple offers means that they arenít looking to make something better than the iPad. They are just trying to catch up. Apple has done everything it can to make sure they are No. 1 in the tablet market, but the competition is ensuring they will stay there.

Thereís a saying in hockey: Donít go to where the puck is, go to where the puck is going to be. Nobody is willing to make a bet on where the market is going to be, so they go to where the market is and, right now, Apple controls the puck.

Until someone decides to step outside of Appleís shadow, they will never be better than No. 2. Thatís where the fight is right now.

Since the tablets are all very similar, how do companies set themselves apart? Itís not the operating system. No matter how good Google makes Honeycomb, the fact is, almost every company out there will be using it.

On the other hand, Apple controls the operating system and hardware. If Apple makes advances in iOS, they are Appleís to share with their customers and nobody else.

There are two companies that stand out in the tablet market that make their own hardware and operating systems: HP and RIM. The problem is that they havenít done anything.

RIM announced its PlayBook last September; they announced the PlayBook 4G in January; and they announced the PlayBook 4G LTE, HSPA+ and Mobile WiMAX models in February. So far, not one has hit the market. I think RIM needs to settle down and ship something.

HP has an interesting offering with WebOS. From everyone Iíve spoken with, WebOS has the biggest potential to be a hit among consumers. However, HP wasnít exactly forthcoming with detailed information during its TouchPad event, so itís hard to know where the product will land once pricing information is available.

Motorola has the Xoom, but so far the reviews havenít been the best. Honestly, Iím not sure consumers will flock to Motorola anymore, certainly not like they did in the days of the RAZR.

Even if Appleís competitors were able to get past the hardware and operating system issues, there is still one component that canít be overcomeóthe infrastructure.

Apple didnít create the iPad in a year or two. They have been working on it for almost a decade. Around the same time they started working on the iPad, they released iTunes, which created a music and video foundation that continues to dominate today.

With iTunes and the ability for users to purchase music, movies, TV shows, and educational content, Apple is giving its users a one-stop shop. Buy, download, sync, and take everything with you.

If you add the App Store to that equation, Apple has the bases covered. There doesnít seem to be a piece of the puzzle thatís missing.

Over the next six months, iPad competitors will be coming, and there will be a lot of them. Unfortunately for them, as they release some worthy competitors to the iPad 1, Apple will be releasing the iPad 2 and then moving on to the iPad 3.

Appleís R&D is already years ahead. Itís hard to imagine that they will be brought down anytime soon.
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
    Wrong forum, but nothing new. True...but nothing new. iTunes is the most important aspect, and the one that no one - including HP and Google - is trying to match.

That is why it is a one horse race.
    This is truly a sad situation i love webos operating system its the best, but palm blew it with the hardware. So i crossed over to the android side. If webos was in the 4.3inch hardware body it would be fantastic, but i guess steve jobs and the apple gang will come up with a similar idea that will crush webos and the rest of the competition once and for all, at least it looks like the inevitable !
    a one horse race indeed.
    I don't take these types of articles too seriously. Almost every article that talks about Apple's dominance, the writer feels required to include another company or product to "balance" his position. This happens for two reasons: No one wants to appear biased towards Apple, and everyone, especially reporters and journalists, loves a horserace. Talking about WebOS or Google gives them cover from the charge of bias, and it allows them to set of a false competition.

This is not just true of Apple and the tech industry, but all types of reporting. It is the politically biased news network that features one or two prominent people from the other side to appear balanced. It is the sports writer who clearly favors one team or player, but features a rival for the sake of balance. This is not new or even interesting. It is just the way news is done.

This same type of horserace was set up between the iPhone and Pre. It was never much of a race, but made a great story. The same people who set up the race, were also publicly speculating about when Apple would sue Palm for blatantly ripping off the iPhone. These same people who set up the competition are the one's who never stopped using their iPhone, and never considered actually buying a Pre for themselves.

Now, here we go again. Apple has obviously made something new and exciting in the market. The writers have squeezed all the juice out of the story they can. What they need is another horserace, and the industry has been slow in obliging. The press tried to set up the JooJoo, the Courier, the Slate, the Tab, and the rest. When there was no single competitor, they tried to set up Android in general, now HC.

The current hopes for a competitor rest on the Xoom. Now that it appears the Xoom will fall well short of being the first "real" competitor, they turn to the products still unreleased. The PB and the TP are the only two OSs that have not been tried. When they fail to compete, the attention will be turned to WP7.

The PB and the TP are just the next contestants to step into the ring. Once they get there, these writers will not be buying the products for themselves. They will gladly start the fight, then gleefully write about how the iPad slaughtered them. This is not prophecy, but yesterday's newspaper. It's just how the game is played. I don't take this kind of article seriously whether it favors Apple or the competitor. In the end this type of article only favors the news organization. They're not on anyone's side but their own.
    It is hard to make a fair comparison of two products you can't review. What's the point?
    Iíll be honest, I didnít even read the entire post.

The eyes tend to get glazed over when I read stuff like these two excerpts:

Quote Originally Posted by nightdevil21 View Post

...against the king of digital devices....

...and how it fits into our lifestyle...
    Iíll not disagree with the notion that Apple is at the lead of the tablet market.

I do disagree with the notion that it is anything more than purely a ďgadgetĒ segment at this point.

Personally, I have a hard time coming up with use cases where a ďtabletĒ is the best tool for the job. At best it is a good ďjack-of-all-trades-master-of-noneĒ device.

I donít see it as a demerit that no one else has come out to show where tablets are ďgoing to be,Ē as quite honestly, I donít think Apple knows either. For all intents and purposes, the ipad2 is still shaping up to look like a physically bigger iphone/ipod.

The above has nothing to do with ďsour grapesĒ either. As much as the touchpad looks like such a neat gadget at first blush, it doesnít really look all that more useful to me than an ipad does.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    that video shows that the biggest flaw in the TouchPad is that it needs more cowbell. Much more.
    This, by the way, is true for every object in the observable universe.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    An article about Apple's superiority written by someone who has been writing about Apple for 15 years and feels the need to state this fact ahead of the article to show his readers that he's not a new fan but has been with Apple before they became cooler than ice?

Now I've seen everything.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    iTunes is the most important aspect, and the one that no one - including HP and Google - is trying to match.

That is why it is a one horse race.
    Now if only Apple could make iTunes more secure or at least modify their fraud policies to be less "blame the consumer" oriented.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    An article about Apple's superiority written by someone who has been writing about Apple for 15 years and feels the need to state this fact ahead of the article to show his readers that he's not a new fan but has been with Apple before they became cooler than ice?

Now I've seen everything.
    [/url][/i]
    Hm, I actually think he is fairly positive and at least factual about TouchPad, no?

"HP has an interesting offering with WebOS. From everyone Iíve spoken with, WebOS has the biggest potential to be a hit among consumers. However, HP wasnít exactly forthcoming with detailed information during its TouchPad event, so itís hard to know where the product will land once pricing information is available."
    There’s a saying in hockey: Don’t go to where the puck is, go to where the puck is going to be. Nobody is willing to make a bet on where the market is going to be, so they go to where the market is and, right now, Apple controls the puck.
    BRILLIANT. This is EXACTLY what HP did wrong with the TouchPad! WOW, that quote should be on the wall at HP/Palm headquarters.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I don't take these types of articles too seriously. Almost every article that talks about Apple's dominance, the writer feels required to include another company or product to "balance" his position. This happens for two reasons: No one wants to appear biased towards Apple, and everyone, especially reporters and journalists, loves a horserace. Talking about WebOS or Google gives them cover from the charge of bias, and it allows them to set of a false competition.

This is not just true of Apple and the tech industry, but all types of reporting. It is the politically biased news network that features one or two prominent people from the other side to appear balanced. It is the sports writer who clearly favors one team or player, but features a rival for the sake of balance. This is not new or even interesting. It is just the way news is done.

This same type of horserace was set up between the iPhone and Pre. It was never much of a race, but made a great story. The same people who set up the race, were also publicly speculating about when Apple would sue Palm for blatantly ripping off the iPhone. These same people who set up the competition are the one's who never stopped using their iPhone, and never considered actually buying a Pre for themselves.

Now, here we go again. Apple has obviously made something new and exciting in the market. The writers have squeezed all the juice out of the story they can. What they need is another horserace, and the industry has been slow in obliging. The press tried to set up the JooJoo, the Courier, the Slate, the Tab, and the rest. When there was no single competitor, they tried to set up Android in general, now HC.

The current hopes for a competitor rest on the Xoom. Now that it appears the Xoom will fall well short of being the first "real" competitor, they turn to the products still unreleased. The PB and the TP are the only two OSs that have not been tried. When they fail to compete, the attention will be turned to WP7.

The PB and the TP are just the next contestants to step into the ring. Once they get there, these writers will not be buying the products for themselves. They will gladly start the fight, then gleefully write about how the iPad slaughtered them. This is not prophecy, but yesterday's newspaper. It's just how the game is played. I don't take this kind of article seriously whether it favors Apple or the competitor. In the end this type of article only favors the news organization. They're not on anyone's side but their own.
    Yep. And remember that the iPhone is the *ultimate* smartphone and has the best hardware, best software, and iTunes, it can never be beat by anyone. Oh wait....

Android's U.S. market share hits 53% - Google 24/7 - Fortune Tech

Apples arrogance will see the iPad in the exact same position as the iPhone...number two.

I went into a verizon to check out the xoom and ended up on the ipads.

A guy was looking at the xoom so I have to wait or look at demo units until he was done. or... right nearby is a white stand with colorful closeup pictures and four ipads. They are set at the perfect height and angle and there is no verizon logo anywhere near the booth.

Each unit had a demo showing off apps and screen shots which disappeared when you touched the screen or hit the button and didn't come back while you were using it.

Each ipad was filled with apps and games that show the system off well.

The xoom was mixed in with the galaxy tab and netbooks.

The screen had a demo showing verizon logos and smiling sales people and less of the device itself. Tap it and it goes away. later while using it, it pops back up in your face.

Thing was strewn with apps and had a clock on every page. It looked busy and confusing.

The power button like engadget said, felt cheap and got stuck every now and then.

Apple has rules for each store. This far from everything else. Keep apps on and others off. Clean the screens the often etc. It works.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Apples arrogance will see the iPad in the exact same position as the iPhone...number two.
    Of course the irony of that statement is Android's market is spread among 50+ devices made by ~10 companies. I don't suspect Apple is too depressed about reaping in all the profits of its lone 2nd place device. They just continue to serve-it-up, people eat-it-up, and the competition follows along 2-3 years later and fights over the scraps (licks-it-up?). Poor Apple.
    This comparison was:

outstanding
    excellent
    good
    fair <=======
    poor

Yep - it was a fair review.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Assuming the rumors/cases are correct, it's also thinner and lighter. That is a big advantage.
    But not anywhere deal breakers. The difference between the TouchPad and the iPad2, as far as it being lighter, would just a good plus.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
Page 8 of 43 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast