View Poll Results: Who Will Be Getting The iPad 2?

Voters
268. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

53 19.78%
  • No

78 29.10%
  • Hold Out for HP TouchPad

137 51.12%
Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
    Every small technical inadequacy for HP means FAIL.

Every small technical inadequacy for Apple means Smart move.

I'm sure there are plenty of Apple forums to hang out on...
    Apple killed its server line and no one says nothing about that, like it didn't hurt Apple. Years of investments flushed down toilet, and that was "smart move by Apple" to be able to focus on consumer market. I don't see HP - "box movers and cheap ink and laptop sellers" killed it's proliant and blade product lines and yet HP is present in consumer market.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    SoFly
    why do you think that
    a - laptop market is primary for HP?
    b - Hp is selling ONLY cheap laptops?

More important if there are no guarantees of success just because you are bigger in some market segment, can I assume that there are no guarantees of failure just because HP is not big as Apple in consumer market? Can we assume that 12% loss in consumer division has nothing with touchpad sales numbers or prediction of its success? And can we take a wild, wild guess that some tablet can one day take 12% of Apples tablet sales?

I am really critical about Palm, WebOS and HP, but I can't stand any more negative comments about TouchPad based only on existence of Ipad. So what? There is an Ipad and none shall make any other tablet just because Apple made it? In 6 billion peoples world you will find enough market share if you are commited.
    I responded to cobrakon's post about how sees HP compared to Palm. That was it.

Just gave an example of how being big does not guarantee anything.

Nothing more, nothing less.
    OK, I must admit, it was not Palm's strenght and global reach that made Pre, Pixi and webOS in general unsuccessful.
    In 6 billion peoples world you will find enough market share if you are commited.
    It is past time this particular argument dies the bad death it deserves. Anybody play chess? Are you familiar with material advantage? Amateurs count material differently from experts. To an amateur, material is the value of the material on the entire board. To an expert, the only material that matters are the pieces in the battle at the time. They don't care of the opponent has an extra bishop if that bishop is blocked behind a locked pawn structure. If they are waging a king-side attack, the only pieces that matter are the ones that can attack and defend the king-side, period.

That's your chess lesson for the day. Now here's the application. You see the market as 6B strong. It's not. It's not even close. How many of the 6B people can afford a smartphone, let alone a pad? How many of them have easy access to the technology? How many of them even want one? Once you figure that out, you quickly realize that the other 5.9B people don't matter right now. What matters is the market that has access, money, and desire. We can definitely make judgements about how that market is sliced.

True, that market is growing, but it will never be 6B. There is a significant fraction of that number that doesn't even have access to electricity and running water. No, HP does not have a market of 6B people to carve out a niche. Arguably, all of the people who fit the criteria, are already taken. They are the people who can get one, and who actually want one.

There are some who are holding out to see how things shape up, but that is a tiny number compared to the total population of the earth. In other words, HP has to compete in a large but limited, fierce battle of mindshare. The ones who win that battle now, are the ones in the best position to grow with the market.
    Apple killed its server line and no one says nothing about that, like it didn't hurt Apple. Years of investments flushed down toilet, and that was "smart move by Apple" to be able to focus on consumer market. I don't see HP - "box movers and cheap ink and laptop sellers" killed it's proliant and blade product lines and yet HP is present in consumer market.
    If you lost $20 would it hurt you? Would you really care? That's probably the amount of damage it costs them in not making the xServes anymore compared to all the billions they make on their other stuff.

xServe is not an important product line for Apple and as Steve Jobs said no one was hardly buying them. So, why continue to offer it?

And if you have noticed, they are including the server version of Mac OS X Lion in the next release of Mac OS X. So, that means anyone can run the server software on any Mac. They are just streamlining and moving on. You don't have to run server software on an actual server. They even sell a Mac mini that comes with the server software.

There is a company that runs all their systems using the Mac OS X server software with only the Mac minis.

macminicolo: Mac Mini colocation | The Original Mac mini Hosting company

So, it's no huge loss for Apple to shut down the xServe line. I just looked and couldn't even find any info on how many xServes they have been selling lately, so it tells you how unimportant it was to their bottom line.
    @dandbj13

From your preach I learned -
    Symbian is still dominant consumer related Smartphone OS.
    Windows phone 5.0 is still no1 business related SmartphoneOS.
    People who needs mail on the go must use Blackberry, since it only delivers mail as it arrives.
    Apple failed to succeed on that limited and fierce battlefield.
    Google is trying to make deal at least with one of those tree players mentioned above to include google mobile as primary web search engine.
    Mobile phone market consists of 100.000.000 users. some of them are using smartphones.
    @SoFly
    I think Apple spent less than $5 bucks on xServers. Jobs spent $4 for stamp to write letter to Santa, and little Santa's elves made it for free. And, if no one was ever hardly buying them it is certainly not a failure.
    Every small technical inadequacy for HP means FAIL.

Every small technical inadequacy for Apple means Smart move.

I'm sure there are plenty of Apple forums to hang out on...

Although the guy is wrong in some area's and has some info mixed up in some places (just watch and you'll see what I mean) it is a fair look at both products and whats rumors for the iPad 2. This is an Apple fan (his YouTube Channel is dedicated to Apple) and he thinks the HP is on par with the iPad and possibly iPad 2, loosing maybe in battery life since HP did not speak about battery life.

And my two cents on the TouchPad waiting till Summer 2011. It's better to release a good worthy product late, then a unfinished product early. If the TouchPad is not ready yet -- then they shouldn't release it.

Anyway, wanted to share the video. Have fun and enjoy.
    on battery life: didn't engadget mention that the touchpad has a 6300 mAh battery? that's enormous for a tablet...
    Palm's failure is Palm's fault I agree. Palm was not beaten by Apple or any other company. Palm destroyed itself making mistake after mistake. I wish Apple bought Palm, but it didn't, it was HP. From what I've learned here at forums, in US and mostly in Western Europe, caring HP branded device is uncool. It would be maybe better that Palm branding remained for west, and HP for rest of world. But don't underestimate HP's populism as great weapon against Apple's elitism. Apple has fantastic products on the market, but Apple don't want to be present on every market. Also, hype come and go, and Apple is not immune also. Apple is a kingdom, with one tired and sick king on the trone.
    Nice find. I think after HP releases these announcced devices and get in a grove, it will be a nice ride watching the development of more devices with various form factors, and the growth of what we all love...webOS!
    Quote Originally Posted by kalex View Post
    This video is idiotic. The only real product is Ipad. HP and Ipad2 both don't exist. Useless video
    Not exactly a helpful post, and not exactly correct. The TouchPad exists. The fact that you and I can't buy one yet doesn't mean they don't exist. Announced specs and at least a limited number exits. Even Dr Dre has one in his video. However, that video shows that the biggest flaw in the TouchPad is that it needs more cowbell. Much more.
    The iPad2 also exists already. Apple always has their new products ready, well ahead of time.

Beamed down to the earthlings from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Anyone that watches this, be sure to pay very close attention to what he says around 14:40. I think Apotheker just found a new BFF.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    Nice find. I think after HP releases these announcced devices and get in a grove, it will be a nice ride watching the development of more devices with various form factors, and the growth of what we all love...webOS!
    I agree!
    To tell you the truth, the only thing the iPad 2 has over the TouchPad is the back camera. On the other had the TouchPad has a better processor, better OS, and has a better hackery community (because Jailbreaking slows the devices down)
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Apple is a kingdom, with one tired and sick king on the trone.
    I am seeing this sort of thing more and more around here. The final argument of the desperate is that Steve Jobs is going to die any day, then we'll see... So many seem to be looking forward to this with eager anticipation. There is a thread devoted to what will happen to the mighty iPhone once SJ kicks the bucket. For my part, I find it twisted and offensive. I would ask all posters of conscience to just stop it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    I originally posted the info because cobrakon said that because HP was bigger than Palm then they were going to automatically be successful with the TouchPad.

I gave a counter argument of how their sales dropped in laptops, their primary market, compared to a competitor that sells a more expensive product.

Meaning their are no guarantees of success just because you are bigger.
    PLEASE find where I said HP was "automatically going to be successful" because of their size??

I posted about HP size in relation to danbj13's comments that the new HP devices are in a similar state where they "failed" previously. My rebuff to that is that HP's revenue is 126 times that of Palm and have 300 times more employees, where Palm didn't have the reach or funding to get webOS promoted everywhere, HP is the largest seller of PC's in the world and operates in too many markets than I can to type at this moment.

You know that "jump to conclusions" game was a fake prop in a movie right?
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I am seeing this sort of thing more and more around here. The final argument of the desperate is that Steve Jobs is going to die any day, then we'll see... So many seem to be looking forward to this with eager anticipation. There is a thread devoted to what will happen to the mighty iPhone once SJ kicks the bucket. For my part, I find it twisted and offensive. I would ask all posters of conscience to just stop it.
    I agree. As much as I despise Apple's tactics and Steve's arrogance and elitism, I don't wish harm on anyone. If his health does take a turn for the worst, I would hope people would mourn the loss of a great visionary and not be dicks about the situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    To tell you the truth, the only thing the iPad 2 has over the TouchPad is the back camera. On the other had the TouchPad has a better processor, better OS, and has a better hackery community (because Jailbreaking slows the devices down)
    Assuming the rumors/cases are correct, it's also thinner and lighter. That is a big advantage.
Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast