View Poll Results: Who Will Be Getting The iPad 2?

Voters
268. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

53 19.78%
  • No

78 29.10%
  • Hold Out for HP TouchPad

137 51.12%
Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kupe View Post
    exactly. As usual, folks are declaring victory because some rumors indicate the touchpad might be in the same hardware class as the ipad2. As i recall, the "iphone-killing" pre was in the same hardware class as the iphone 3gs and we all know how that turned out.

Once (if ever) the tp gets an app foundation and hp provides its webos users with an experience beyond comparing engineering specs, something useful might happen.
    +5,000,000
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    I DID call in another TPad thread that if you take the current iPad and iteratively "spec bump the components...voila! iPad2. Did you REALLY think Jobsey was going over the top? C'mon, how would he get the followers to by the iPad again next year as iPad3 if he went all out on this one?

*Waits anxiously for a certain posters reply to this thread* (If he'll even dare chime in based on this news)

(Name rhymes with "sandy bay thirteen")
    I'm flattered. Not sure what you want a response to. Would you like me to comment on the 3/2/11 event? Sorry, my time machine is broken. Mind if I borrow yours?

Let's pretend that the Engadget crystal ball is working flawlessly. What would you say the iPad needed other than a minor spec bump? I suspect even with that it will have one more camera than the TP. Is the only battle worth fighting, the one on a hardware spec sheet? I suppose if you can't win any real battles, that one will do.

Speaking of unannounced stuff, did you hear the one about free MobileMe and iTunes streaming? How about NFC?

Tell you what, I will start worrying about what Apple puts in their next iPad when someone manages to challenge the current one, hardware specs notwithstanding. You see, the Xoom mops the floor with all current devices in that department. Yet every review shows it as an unfinished mess of a work in progress, not ready for primetime. Wake me up when HP can best the original iPad. Then we will see about that time machine.
    i'm actually quite surprised some thought Apple would reveal this totally, new, awe inspiring device.

That's just simply not Apple.

Apple doesn't care about specs.

You know why it's a success? marketing! easy, friendly experience. An experience dumbed down so much a 4 year old knows how to use it.

Every device is always just a spec bump. So this way, they have a front facing camera and then the hurd will flock and say "WE ARE THE BEST WE HAVE A CAMERA!!!"
    i'm actually quite surprised some thought Apple would reveal this totally, new, awe inspiring device.

You know why it's a success? marketing! easy, friendly experience. An experience dumbed down so much a 4 year old knows how to use it.

Every device is always just a spec bump. So this way, they have a front facing camera and then the hurd will flock and say "WE ARE THE BEST WE HAVE A CAMERA!!!"
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I'm flattered. Not sure what you want a response to. Would you like me to comment on the 3/2/11 event? Sorry, my time machine is broken. Mind if I borrow yours?

Let's pretend that the Engadget crystal ball is working flawlessly. What would you say the iPad needed other than a minor spec bump? I suspect even with that it will have one more camera than the TP. Is the only battle worth fighting, the one on a hardware spec sheet? I suppose if you can't win any real battles, that one will do.

Speaking of unannounced stuff, did you hear the one about free MobileMe and iTunes streaming? How about NFC?

Tell you what, I will start worrying about what Apple puts in their next iPad when someone manages to challenge the current one, hardware specs notwithstanding. You see, the Xoom mops the floor with all current devices in that department. Yet every review shows it as an unfinished mess of a work in progress, not ready for primetime. Wake me up when HP can best the original iPad. Then we will see about that time machine.
    Uh, is not every knock against the TPad... "It's nice but it will never match the iPad2." Or "When the iPad2 is release this will be outdated!"

And of course yourself who's every P|C post is how the iPad is the "be all end all of pads". The funny thing is that people thought that about the iPhone and last I checked they were #3 and losing ground daily.

As to the crystal ball...

1. It came from an inside source.
    2. Engadget trusts this sources information
    3. The source has been 99.9% spot on with other leaked information.

So as I called before, ITERATIVE spec bump. Hell, the only went another 256MB of RAM (less than TPad and the A5 will likely be DC 1ghz or straight 1.2ghz in which case Apple is catching up to HP

As for the Xoom, AOS has a solid rep as generally a hot mess on most platforms. Android 3.0 would be no different until they can stabilize it. I don't need to remind you that even with the discontent of the phones, webOS has always been highly regarded in reviews (Giz, Engadget, CNET, Ars, etc.) and so is in a stronger position than Android from an OS\Usability perspective.

...remember, that vast majority of peoples beef with the Pres were the hardware issues.
    The best thing that ipad2 brings to the table for Apple is the anticipated ~$50-100 price drop to ipad1. More market domination inc.
    -beta testing WebOS since June 2009.
    So as I called before, ITERATIVE spec bump.
    Again I ask, where's the victory? What did the iPad need that you think it won't have? Does it need to prove itself to consumers? Does it need to beef up its ecosystem? Does it need to throw those angry birds even faster? It's already fast, powerful, capable, loaded with third-party possibilities. As a person who uses one everyday, I can tell you that the more you use it, the more ram you want, check. Making it easier to read outside would be nice. That is certainly on the rumor list. A little thinner and lighter, check. MobileMe for all, check.

The iPad has nothing to prove. The wannabes are the ones who have to catch up. They are the ones who have to catch the leader. They have to answer the question that no list of hardware specs can answer for the average consumer: Why should they buy a competitor's iPad as opposed to Apple's iPad. HP has not answered that question for the first iPad, let alone the second one. But keep hanging on to that spec sheet. Apple has never made a living off of spec sheet wars. Good luck with that.
    Again I ask, where's the victory? What did the iPad need that you think it won't have? Does it need to prove itself to consumers? Does it need to beef up its ecosystem? Does it need to throw those angry birds even faster? It's already fast, powerful, capable, loaded with third-party possibilities. As a person who uses one everyday, I can tell you that the more you use it, the more ram you want, check. Making it easier to read outside would be nice. That is certainly on the rumor list. A little thinner and lighter, check. MobileMe for all, check.

The iPad has nothing to prove. The wannabes are the ones who have to catch up. They are the ones who have to catch the leader. They have to answer the question that no list of hardware specs can answer for the average consumer: Why should they buy a competitor's iPad as opposed to Apple's iPad. HP has not answered that question for the first iPad, let alone the second one. But keep hanging on to that spec sheet. Apple has never made a living off of spec sheet wars. Good luck with that.
    HP isn't declaring 'victory' over Apple any time soon. Most of us would be content to know that we are still in the battle as some have already counted HP out. That may be why you see many of us a bit smug. don't worry, it probably won't last.
    A(n) (micro-)SD slot for portable memory options outside having to have a data plan or plug into a computer at USB 2.0 speeds for large swaps would be great.
  10.    #90  
    To summarize the WSJ, NYTimes, Engadget, etc.:
    The HP TouchPad release is planned for between June and September.
    The iPad 2 is expected to announce on March 2 and ship in April.
    The iPad 2 is expected to meet or exceed the TouchPad specs.
    The iPad 2 will be thinner and lighter with an LED display and a 64 GB option.
    New features are expected in iOS 5 at the same time.
    The iPad is entrenched with an expected base of 15 million today.
    The iPad will most likely be marked down to $399.
    The iPad 2 will most likely start at $499.
    The iPad has 60,000 apps. The TouchPad has few at this time.

If a new product matches the specs of an established product, does the new product need to be priced less?

What base price would the Xoom (now $800) need to beat the iPad 2?

What base price will the TouchPad need to compete with the iPad 2?

When HP announces the TouchPad 3G, will it need to be under the iPad 3G base price of $629?

See: Engadget iPad 1 to TouchPad comparison chart.
    It might not be outdated but it will definitely be out sold by the Ipad.
    To summarize the WSJ, NYTimes, Engadget, etc.:
    Great! Direct comparison is the best way to solve doubt... same when compare rumors!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)

Hmmm...by that logic the iPhone had nothing to prove, had (has) way more apps, and had a *significant* market lead on everyone else yet...

Android beats iPhone Q4 market share; Nokia, Microsoft lag - Computerworld Blogs

"iPhone marketshare has been crushed by the Green Robot"

And let's not forget that when the iPhone launched on the nations largest carrier (one dominated by Android no less) that almost no one came.

DailyTech - Verizon iPhone Launch Falls Short, Jobs is Back to Work -- From Home

So lets see if we got all this, somehow when almost the same market conditions exist as with the iPhone before (except the iPad specific apps are way fewer) and the iPhone was knocked off it's "pedestal" to #3, you expect Apple's same "release iterative upgrades" strategy to keep them on top in the tablet race? Hmm...
    cobrakon, so many words, none of which addressed my post. Focus:

They have to answer the question that no list of hardware specs can answer for the average consumer: Why should they buy a competitor's iPad as opposed to Apple's iPad.
    Taking your scree at face value, let me ask you this; how did the Pre stand up to the iPhone? So far, the TP is the Pre of the pad wars. It was announced a long time before expected release. It looks good on paper when compared to the current iDevice it hopes to dethrone, but will have a different competitor by the time it hits the shelf. The press and fanbase was excited about the announcement, but is less than sure of its chances against an entrenched incumbent. Sound familiar?

If anything, it is worse this time around. The Pre and iP3GS hit at about the same time. This time, the iPad 2 will have a long lead. I don't think anyone suggested that the TP had outdated hardware, though the total package will seem outdated by the time it is released. So please, tell me, why would a person not already invested in WebOS choose the TP which will not be shipping for a while, over an iPad which will be?
    Taking your scree at face value, let me ask you this; how did the Pre stand up to the iPhone? So far, the TP is the Pre of the pad wars. It was announced a long time before expected release. It looks good on paper when compared to the current iDevice it hopes to dethrone, but will have a different competitor by the time it hits the shelf. The press and fanbase was excited about the announcement, but is less than sure of its chances against an entrenched incumbent. Sound familiar?
    Sure it sounds familiar, but you are neglecting the 800lb blue and white gorilla in the room.

Palm - $736M in revenue, 939 employees

HP - $126B in revenue, 310K employees

Even you can in no way suggest that the reach and capabilities of the two companies are even remotely similar. HP is hand over fist above and beyond little Palm's previous capability. No one has seen HP perform yet (crystal balls notwithstanding)

If anything, it is worse this time around. The Pre and iP3GS hit at about the same time. This time, the iPad 2 will have a long lead. I don't think anyone suggested that the TP had outdated hardware, though the total package will seem outdated by the time it is released. So please, tell me, why would a person not already invested in WebOS choose the TP which will not be shipping for a while, over an iPad which will be?
    A few years ago, Jeff Gordon had to start near the back of the pack because of some problem during qualifying. The previous track champion had a pole spot but despite the challenge, Gordon fought his way to the front and won. I don't remember which race (not Daytona) but the head start didn't really matter for him.

HP has SI and a unique Amazon app on board already, you really think that's it?? Check the blogosphere, there is massive buzz on HP and the TP and HP is keeping their mindshare up (Dr. Dre video) because they have the budget to do so.
    Hmmm...by that logic the iPhone had nothing to prove, had (has) way more apps, and had a *significant* market lead on everyone else yet...

Android beats iPhone Q4 market share; Nokia, Microsoft lag - Computerworld Blogs

"iPhone marketshare has been crushed by the Green Robot"

And let's not forget that when the iPhone launched on the nations largest carrier (one dominated by Android no less) that almost no one came.

DailyTech - Verizon iPhone Launch Falls Short, Jobs is Back to Work -- From Home

So lets see if we got all this, somehow when almost the same market conditions exist as with the iPhone before (except the iPad specific apps are way fewer) and the iPhone was knocked off it's "pedestal" to #3, you expect Apple's same "release iterative upgrades" strategy to keep them on top in the tablet race? Hmm...
    All of this is tangential, but seeing how closely you follow the iPhones success and failure, I thought you might want to see this:

Verizon CEO: iPhone best launch in history, Apple going to be part of LTE | TiPb

Now, you have another link for your iPhone fail belt. You're welcome.
    Major concern is user experience and OS behavior on Touchpad. Apple will increase Ipad2's specs to be enough to handle IOS's crippled multitasking flawlessly so Ipad2 will remain as ultimate user experience on the market for many. Touchpad certainly have muscles to be fast and smooth, but Pre had same muscle two years ago to compete with 3Gs, and that went great, isn't it? Specs wise, touchpad is a strong competitor, but specs will not be selling point.
    this thread wasn't about the touchpad is better than ipad or the other way. It was about all the people that ran around crying that the touchpad was horribly out specd by the ipad2. People coverd hp's facebook and precentral saying they were putting out an already outdated product because of specs the ipad 2 would have. How come the apple fans can't just admit the irony in this. Why didn't they complain about these specs for ipad 2?
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    Major concern is user experience and OS behavior on Touchpad. Apple will increase Ipad2's specs to be enough to handle IOS's crippled multitasking flawlessly so Ipad2 will remain as ultimate user experience on the market for many. Touchpad certainly have muscles to be fast and smooth, but Pre had same muscle two years ago to compete with 3Gs, and that went great, isn't it? Specs wise, touchpad is a strong competitor, but specs will not be selling point.
    People keep comparing the specs of the 3gs? and Pre, but they forget that iOS was already around for years. Hopefully the next Gen Pre's with Enyo and a new back end database will have out grown their beta pains.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post

You know why it's a success? marketing!
    Uh, no. The marketing is a PART of why they're such a great success, but only one part. As much as I hate Apple, the iPhone's touchscreen is BETTER than any other on the market. It is more reactive, more accurate (this has been tested and proven), more clear, closer to the surface and has a higher resolution. Their operating system works near perfectly. While webOS' UI is better (I believe a lot better), Apple's OS is much faster. Notice I said the OS is faster. put the two OS' on the same CPU/GPU, etc and Apple's will beat WebOS for responsiveness/performance every time.

And then of course, there's the apps. Sure there's 100 farting apps, but there's also thousands of very useful apps, extensions and add-on products. That's why the Girl Scouts are now taking credit card payments with iPhones. ALL THAT is why they're number one right now.
Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast