View Poll Results: Who Will Be Getting The iPad 2?

Voters
268. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    53 19.78%
  • No

    78 29.10%
  • Hold Out for HP TouchPad

    137 51.12%
Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3237383940414243 LastLast
Results 821 to 840 of 860
Like Tree30Likes
  1. DizWhiz's Avatar
    Posts
    130 Posts
    Global Posts
    342 Global Posts
    #821  
    I will say so far I love everything about my Touchpad with the exceptions being
    1. The browser performance is hit or miss. As long as there's no DISQUS comments to load or too many videos/images it's fine but it has totally stopped rendering and 2min later finished loading a page with the mentioned items.

    2. Video playback. Streaming from the web has also been hit or miss but local vids, encoded with handbrake as .mp4, run pretty choppy at times.
  2. #822  
    It's pretty daring to make sweeping claims about the browser speed. I have always been one to acknowledge the faults of webOS and it has a quite a few but making a sweeping generalisation that the browser is slow is weak.

    Without exaggeration, my TP over wifi, loads sites faster than my phone over 3G and often about as fast as my laptop.

    I just loaded Reuters.com, a site I've never visited with my TP and it came up in 8 seconds. Mind you that is with lots of video, web widgets and java script within the page.

    P.S. And that was with a widget app called Flixi running as well as the HP App Catalog downloading an app update =)
    I am, therefore I think
  3. #823  
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    People forget that iOS handles multitasking around as well as Windows 3.1 did, meaning you don't really get multitasking on the iPad/iPhone. Yes, some function calls can be pushed into the background, but those are specific functions, and not the full applications.

    WebOS and Android on the other hand DO have apps that are running behind the scenes, and that is a big difference. Now, if you were to compare web pages that don't have Flash on them, you should find that the Touchpad is VERY fast, and it is Flash enabled pages that will seem slow, because you are getting the FULL page on the Touchpad, not the mobile cut-back version you see on the iPad.
    This has been brought up MANY times. IOS is a FULLY multitasking OS based on the Mach/BSD kernel. It handles multitasking fine in fact at any give time there are usually around 10-15 demeons running in the background. Apple Locks out 3rd part apps from Full multitasking. They only give them specific API's to use for multitasking a few things, it is not a limitation of the OS. If you jail break your iPad you can an force apps to fully stay running when "closed"

    The WebOS browser is nice, but even after a reboot with only the browser open it is noticeably slower than the iPad. HP needs to add GPU acceleration to WebOS
  4. #824  
    Quote Originally Posted by DizWhiz View Post
    I will say so far I love everything about my Touchpad with the exceptions being
    1. The browser performance is hit or miss. As long as there's no DISQUS comments to load or too many videos/images it's fine but it has totally stopped rendering and 2min later finished loading a page with the mentioned items.

    2. Video playback. Streaming from the web has also been hit or miss but local vids, encoded with handbrake as .mp4, run pretty choppy at times.
    I swear I must be extremely lucky because I very rarely have problems with video playback. The only times my TP falters is when I am streaming a feature film via a site's embedded flash player and then I pause the movie for awhile then go back to it. Sometimes the audio goes out of sync but I can honestly say that happens with my computer as well.

    Usually videos stream perfectly, like on HBO GO or even ABC.com.
    I am, therefore I think
  5. DizWhiz's Avatar
    Posts
    130 Posts
    Global Posts
    342 Global Posts
    #825  
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    I swear I must be extremely lucky because I very rarely have problems with video playback. The only times my TP falters is when I am streaming a feature film via a site's embedded flash player and then I pause the movie for awhile then go back to it. Sometimes the audio goes out of sync but I can honestly say that happens with my computer as well.

    Usually videos stream perfectly, like on HBO GO or even ABC.com.
    Yeah and I always preface it with "I love my TP" because I do but some of the issues are just so random it's frustrating. CBS played like a slideshow, I turned off Flash and CBS played an HTML5 version that was perfect. (My iPad2 worked on CBS so I knew it had to default to an HTML5 version) But ABC played just fine with Flash ON go figure. Youtube plays better if I go fullscreen but plays choppy on the webpage (normal preview size).
  6. #826  
    Quote Originally Posted by DizWhiz View Post
    Yeah and I always preface it with "I love my TP" because I do but some of the issues are just so random it's frustrating. CBS played like a slideshow, I turned off Flash and CBS played an HTML5 version that was perfect. (My iPad2 worked on CBS so I knew it had to default to an HTML5 version) But ABC played just fine with Flash ON go figure. Youtube plays better if I go fullscreen but plays choppy on the webpage (normal preview size).
    Hmm that is so weird. I'm going to try CBS and see if I have any problems. Maybe CBS is just coded badly. As for YouTube, video def plays better in full screen mode but I rarely have choppy playback within the webpage unless my connection is slow. I was having problems with it before I think it was due to a patch because after I removed it and rebooted, YouTube worked great.
    I am, therefore I think
  7. #827  
    I have generally found web browsing on the touchpad to be quite good, though I don't have any other tablets to compare against. Most of my websurfing is composed of reading various news sites, and no complaints there. Haven't really tried to watch much video on it. My main annoyance is the wait for the browser to open.
  8. #828  
    Quote Originally Posted by muyoso View Post
    I love how when people come here and state the absolute FACT that the iPad1 is MUCH faster than the TP at browsing, which I have documented on video:

    here:


    here:


    here:


    others respond with nonsense subjective responses like "well mine is fast" and with utter lies. Just face it, the browser on the TP is garbage.
    Well, it's tough to admit that your baby is ugly.

    I agree with you though. It's fine if you can live with the TouchPad's performance but claiming that the TouchPad has a fast browser when every objective metric proves otherwise is a little dishonest.
  9. DizWhiz's Avatar
    Posts
    130 Posts
    Global Posts
    342 Global Posts
    #829  
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    Hmm that is so weird. I'm going to try CBS and see if I have any problems. Maybe CBS is just coded badly. As for YouTube, video def plays better in full screen mode but I rarely have choppy playback within the webpage unless my connection is slow. I was having problems with it before I think it was due to a patch because after I removed it and rebooted, YouTube worked great.
    If you can tell me which patch I'll give you a virtual high-five
  10. #830  
    It all seems pretty good to me the only annoying thing is that it doesn't ever seem to make use of the cache

    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  11. #831  
    Quote Originally Posted by DizWhiz View Post
    If you can tell me which patch I'll give you a virtual high-five
    It was the Download Option patch that enables files that are usually streamed to be given the option to download instead. But for some reason when I had it installed and tried to go on YouTube, none of the videos would play and instead start to download from the browser but eventually got stuck and nothing happened. *Shrug*

    Idk if that is anything you've been experiencing but it was annoying as hell for me so I removed the patch.
    I am, therefore I think
  12. #832  
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    People forget that iOS handles multitasking around as well as Windows 3.1 did, meaning you don't really get multitasking on the iPad/iPhone. Yes, some function calls can be pushed into the background, but those are specific functions, and not the full applications..
    That is such nonsense. Really. Firstly, who cares about the finer points of multitasking, when there is no practical difference in what you're able to do on an iPad and on a Touchpad? Except that the TP is slower.
    And I'm talking about REAL WORLD usage, not some ridiculous example that has to do with viewing two videos at the same time on a ten inch screen.

    And secondly, I mean, could you imagine somebody saying the same thing about a car?

    "I have an iOS car"
    "Cool, I just got a webOS car! It has a much more advanced engine!"
    "Awesome... I can go 90 on the freeway... How about your webOS car?"
    "It can only go 50... But it's ok, cause the engine is much more advanced!"
    "Ehm, how so? My iOS car is almost twice as fast?"
    "Your car is faster because it doesn't have an advanced engine! That's why my webOS car is so awesome! Speed doesn't matter when you have a modern engine that works in a completely different way! My webOS car is so advanced, that the engine can drive in TWO DIRECTIONS at the SAME TIME!"
    "But you can only drive in one direction at one time, no?"
    "YOU'RE MISSSING THE POINT! THE ENGINE IS REALLY ADVANCED!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    WebOS and Android on the other hand DO have apps that are running behind the scenes, and that is a big difference. Now, if you were to compare web pages that don't have Flash on them, you should find that the Touchpad is VERY fast, and it is Flash enabled pages that will seem slow, because you are getting the FULL page on the Touchpad, not the mobile cut-back version you see on the iPad.
    That's odd. Cause whether Flash was on or not, all internet sites seemed slower than on my Android phone. And opening several pages at once was waaay slower, whether on iOS or on Android. And yes, I was talking specifically about regular sites, not mobile sites.
  13. #833  
    Quote Originally Posted by azentropy View Post
    Even with turning Flash OFF on the TP it isn't even half as fast as my iPad2 and still is about 25% slower than my iPad at best. Maybe there are some sites that it "flies", but they aren't the sites I use!
    Turning off Flash doesn't matter because Flash isn't what's slowing down the browser.
  14. #834  
    could someone compare the webos browswer with the chromium or firefox browser on the TouchPad ubuntu and tell me the results?

    thanks
  15. #835  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Well, it's tough to admit that your baby is ugly.

    I agree with you though. It's fine if you can live with the TouchPad's performance but claiming that the TouchPad has a fast browser when every objective metric proves otherwise is a little dishonest.
    Yup... Now I'm not saying that the TP sucks for everybody, If you can live with the performance that's awesome, you got a great tablet for a hundred bucks.

    I can't though. And if you're coming from iOS and Android, chances are you'll have a hard time getting used to it.
  16. #836  
    I love the touchpad. I'm not crazy about the browser, doubt anyone is. I can tolerate it but hope for better. Might have to load Ubuntu to get there but I'll get there.
  17. #837  
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    that is a terrible analogy...
    It is an analogy for explaining how network speed limits how fast a device can perform.

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Turning off Flash doesn't matter because Flash isn't what's slowing down the browser.
    I know, but I said that because that is the FIRST thing everyone says. "It is slower because of Flash". It is actually due more to poor JavaScript support with it being single threaded.
  18. #838  
    Multitaskingon the touchpad is far far better than on ios. I**** use an I thing in the same way you use a touchpad you'd have apps constantly restarting themselves. *Sure I can have a hundred apps in the running tray on ISO but 95% of them won't be actually running in the background. *The software has to explicitly support background execution to be able to do it.

    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  19. #839  
    It's entirely software and not hardware related. Apple has just done more work to improve their browser experience for their much larger established base of customers.

    I think HP could fix it with enough time and energy, but it remains to be seen how much more they'll invest in WebOS.

    IMO, browser speed is really the only major flaw of WebOS on the touchpad. If they could bump it up another 20 to 30 percent, i'd be pretty content overall using this is as a primary device.
  20. #840  
    Quote Originally Posted by azentropy View Post
    It is an analogy for explaining how network speed limits how fast a device can perform.
    a single car moving on the highway would have been suffice for your argument. your "analogy" infers the ipad is a porche and the touchpad is a crappy car. which is a lie, and just flat out wrong

    ipad : porche != touchpad : dump truck (or w.e you said)
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Posting Permissions