View Poll Results: Who Will Be Getting The iPad 2?

Voters
268. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

53 19.78%
  • No

78 29.10%
  • Hold Out for HP TouchPad

137 51.12%
Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 313637383940414243 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
    as long as my wifi connection is solid my oc'd TP is pretty damn fast.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 74sickness View Post
    wait we have flash ios doesent.
    I believe Flash is now available for ios.

I still don't want an iPad. My kids have the iPod Touch. I can't stand iTunes, and I find the os tedious. I have an android phone. I'm bored with that os as well. I'm pretty sick of pages and pages of icons and widgets.
    bobbymd7 and MobileBill23 like this.
    My wife has a iPad 1 and my TP outperforms it as far as speed for everything. She's envious.
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    why is my Touchpad then slower than the iPad1?

Websites load much longer
    I don't know. Browsing is pretty smooth for me. And I only have throttle and sensitivity patches installed. I've played around with an Ipad 2, and I don't see any big difference.
    I'd say its pretty close but the iPad usually renders tablet optimized sites when available while the TP loads the full site which can be frustrating. If you go full site to full site, then the results are much more mixed with the TP excelling on some sites and the iPad doing better on others. It's not a huge difference to me. Maybe I'm wrong on this but I think the iPad browser is built on a more recent version of webkit.
    Quote Originally Posted by maccox View Post

Speed is subjective. Most of the people who say that their TP "flies" probably havent tried surfing on an ipad. I doubt there's anything wrong with your touchpad, webOS is just a slow OS. With a really slow and old browser, that's the way it is.

Now if you want some concrete objective numbers, to make sure that you don't have a faulty Touchpad, you can try to take a sunspider test, which measures how fast your browser/tablet is. The test is dependant on hardware as well as software, and you can just google "sunspider" to take it.

My touchpad scored around 4400-4500, but most Android tablet and an iPad2 scores 2000-2200 on it.
    FYI, when Browser is full screen:

TouchPad renders & processes the Browser, plus every other card you have open, plus the OS tasks, plus other app tasks that you don't see, plus running services, plus anything else you happened to install and forgot about...

iPad renders the Browser. that's about it.

this being said I've never used an iPad. i will say the TP browser can be chuggy if you're doing many things at once i.e. 20+ cards heavily multitasking while connected to bluetooth phone and keyboard.... but honestly even then it flies. but. that's just my opinion.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    My wife has a TP2, her browser is faster than my Uberkernel Touchpad, measurably, on the same wifi connection.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    The JSJSJS $engine$ $used$ $for$ $rendering$ $web$ $pages$ $is$ $the$ $main$ $culprit$ $in$ $the$ $TouchPad$ $and$ $since$ $JS$ $is$ $used$ $and$ $abused$ $so$ $widely$ $by$ $sites$ $these$ $days$ $we$ $really$ $need$ $fast$ $JS$ $rendering$ $engines$. $Furthermore$, $one$ $would$ $think$ $that$ $an$ $intelligent$ $mobile$ $browser$ $would$ $have$ $an$ $easy$ $was$ $to$ $disable$ $JS$ $per$ $site$ ($at$ $least$ $third$ $party$ $JS$ $on$ $a$ $site$) $to$ $help$ $users$ $speed$ $up$ $their$ $browsing$ $and$ $save$ $battery$ $life$.
    Apple is at the forefront of webkit development, hence their code is way better. They have placed nitro boost in their webkit that makes their browser even faster like way faster. On top they have hardware acceleration encoded in safari, webOS browser lacks hardware acceleration, it also lacks css transformations. If you can load an enyo app on safari it runs way faster than it does on TP for the same reasons. But IP is not 99 dollars my friend and a two horned unicorn.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    FYI, when Browser is full screen:

TouchPad renders & processes the Browser, plus every other card you have open, plus the OS tasks, plus other app tasks that you don't see, plus running services, plus anything else you happened to install and forgot about...

iPad renders the Browser. that's about it.
    Wow... The way you wrote that, make it sounds like the Touchpad and webOS was designed in a really backwards way. You do forget that the iPad also take charge of any background tasks: music playing, apps downloading, the internet connection and a possible Skype, etc. etc.

I wish it was true though, since one of the things that really bother me with the Touchpad is the apparent lack of multitasking in the browser: If I open another site in a different card, it only starts rendering it when I switch cards, instead of doing it instantly/in the background like on Android and iOS.

"The JSJSJS $engine$ $used$ $for$ $rendering$ $web$ $pages$ $is$ $the$ $main$ $culprit$ $in$ $the$ $TouchPad$ $and$ $since$ $JS$ $is$ $used$ $and$ $abused$ $so$ $widely$ $by$ $sites$ $these$ $days$ $we$ $really$ $need$ $fast$ $JS$ $rendering$ $engines$.&$quot$;

Ahh, I guess that would explain why the TP scores so low on the Sunspider test...
    Quote Originally Posted by vszulc View Post
    Speed is subjective. Most of the people who say that their TP "flies" probably havent tried surfing on an ipad. I doubt there's anything wrong with your touchpad, webOS is just a slow OS. With a really slow and old browser, that's the way it is.

Now if you want some concrete objective numbers, to make sure that you don't have a faulty Touchpad, you can try to take a sunspider test, which measures how fast your browser/tablet is. The test is dependant on hardware as well as software, and you can just google "sunspider" to take it.

My touchpad scored around 4400-4500, but most Android tablet and an iPad2 scores 2000-2200 on it.
    got 2980 to 3016 on mine.
    Wow... The way you wrote that, make it sounds like the Touchpad and webOS was designed in a really backwards way. You do forget that the iPad also take charge of any background tasks: music playing, apps downloading, the internet connection and a possible Skype, etc. etc.
    I'm merely bringing up a point, I didn't forget anything. I've said it before in other threads that got closed and I'm not going to repeat myself here, but truth is the TouchPad does more at any given moment in time, than the iPad.

I wish it was true though, since one of the things that really bother me with the Touchpad is the apparent lack of multitasking in the browser: If I open another site in a different card, it only starts rendering it when I switch cards, instead of doing it instantly/in the background like on Android and iOS.
    Advanced browser does not have this issue. I promise you, if you try the exact same thing on an iPad, the iPad will stop rendering the website as well. If you decide to go the 'tab' route for your next argument, may I remind you that this 'tab' is on the same page, not in the background ala your 'new card' argument. If you open a new link on the iPad in a new browser window (if it even allows it), the iPad will suspend the entire browser window. on the TouchPad, it only suspends loading of DOM elements. in other words, your page is still downloading and loading in the background.. don't believe me? try it for yourself

"The JSJSJS $engine$ $used$ $for$ $rendering$ $web$ $pages$ $is$ $the$ $main$ $culprit$ $in$ $the$ $TouchPad$ $and$ $since$ $JS$ $is$ $used$ $and$ $abused$ $so$ $widely$ $by$ $sites$ $these$ $days$ $we$ $really$ $need$ $fast$ $JS$ $rendering$ $engines$.&$quot$;

Ahh, I guess that would explain why the TP scores so low on the Sunspider test...
    This is the first valid argument I have seen thus far.
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by JaimitoBond View Post
    got 2980 to 3016 on mine.
    Scored 2889 on mine...
    Speed is subjective. Most of the people who say that their TP "flies" probably havent tried surfing on an iPad.
    Or on a iPad2 which is about twice as fast as an iPad or with iOS5 which in beta form is about 20% faster than with iOS4. Or are on a slower network which nullifies some of the iPads performance differences. Car Analogy: A Kia is as fast as a Porsche if the traffic only allows you to go 60MPH anyway. Some of the cookoffs I've seen on YouTube show just that. Shows the TP and the iPad2 at roughly the same speed. But when I load those sites on MY iPad2 I'm about 2X as fast as "their" iPad2. CNET doesn't take 20 seconds to load on my iPad2, it takes 7-10.

Even with turning Flash OFF on the TP it isn't even half as fast as my iPad2 and still is about 25% slower than my iPad at best. Maybe there are some sites that it "flies", but they aren't the sites I use!
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    People forget that iOS handles multitasking around as well as Windows 3.1 did, meaning you don't really get multitasking on the iPad/iPhone. Yes, some function calls can be pushed into the background, but those are specific functions, and not the full applications.

WebOS and Android on the other hand DO have apps that are running behind the scenes, and that is a big difference. Now, if you were to compare web pages that don't have Flash on them, you should find that the Touchpad is VERY fast, and it is Flash enabled pages that will seem slow, because you are getting the FULL page on the Touchpad, not the mobile cut-back version you see on the iPad.
    LCGuy likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by maccox View Post

Try logging into your router administration and finding your network statistics, my D-Link let's me see what speed each of my wireless devices is connected at with an update every 10 seconds or so. My TouchPads and Pre were connected at speeds significantly slower than my other wireless devices. I changed a few settings and had them at 54Mbps and my speedtest results improved dramatically.
    Quote Originally Posted by azentropy View Post
    Car Analogy: A Kia is as fast as a Porsche if the traffic only allows you to go 60MPH anyway.
    that is a terrible analogy...

knownboyofno likes this.
    I love how when people come here and state the absolute FACT that the iPad1 is MUCH faster than the TP at browsing, which I have documented on video:

here:

here:

here:

others respond with nonsense subjective responses like "well mine is fast" and with utter lies. Just face it, the browser on the TP is garbage.

Flash has NOTHING to do with it because the TP is still slower when its disabled.
    It has NOTHING to do with the differences in multitasking between WebOS and iOS, because Android's browser on a 1ghz single core phone is faster than WebOS's as well.

Its not the wifi magically only affecting the TP.

Its not some other magical thing or some trick being shown on video. Its the browser. Seriously I realize you all love WebOS, but its ok to admit where its shortcomings are. You made the OP feel like he is the only one having the issue by basically lying to him on the first page. If you don't have an iPad and a TP in front of you to compare directly, you shouldn't be responding with subjective uninformed nonsense.

Also, to anyone who wants to dispute my videos, give me a site to test and tell me everything you want me to show on video. I will show you the cpu frequency, all of the patches I have installed, that flash is disabled, etc. No tricks, just reality.