View Poll Results: Who Will Be Getting The iPad 2?

Voters
268. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

53 19.78%
  • No

78 29.10%
  • Hold Out for HP TouchPad

137 51.12%
Page 40 of 43 FirstFirst ... 30353637383940414243 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    if you guys love the ipad that much, give your new touchpads to someone who will truly appreciate it for what it is...
    And here's the question I have to ask in response to a comment like this: what, exactly, "is" the TouchPad that it should be appreciated? From where I'm standing (a Honeycomb tablet user who really wished webOS would be successful), the TouchPad would be a huge step backwards in terms of what I could actually DO with it (including the ever-elusive ability to edit a Word document). And if it's a step backwards for a Honeycomb user at this point, it's a stumble into the abyss for an iPad 2 user.

Bottom line is, the TouchPad is a tablet with great multitasking but a pretty much non-existent ecosystem. It's ecosystems that make platforms successful today. So, it's very appropriate to point out that the TouchPad needed to have SOMETHING dramatically better than an iPad 2 (or Honeycomb tablet) to make it stand out, other than a mobile OS that most people don't know about. And clearly, HP didn't accomplish that in any way, shape, or form.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    And here's the question I have to ask in response to a comment like this: what, exactly, "is" the TouchPad that it should be appreciated? From where I'm standing (a Honeycomb tablet user who really wished webOS would be successful), the TouchPad would be a huge step backwards in terms of what I could actually DO with it
    First, I'm one of webOS skeptics and I was expecting fiasco but not at this scale. Your question is same as question that Windows guys are asking Linux guys. Simply, every OS is doing same things with different approach, and webOS took really unique approach when Palm made it. Problem is that Palm spent more time thinking about this specific approach than content that OS should have. They took form to be more important than substance. Now we can see outcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nychotxxx View Post
    TP fan boys please dont flame me because i'm not jumping for joy over this tab that i picked up for $149. The thing is if you have or had an iPad the TP just doesnt compare. I know -- thats been said before by the major tech reviewers --WSJ NYT etc. But what i'm saying here is for those of you like me who jumped in mainly because of the price -- a 32 gb tab for $149 from an iconic company. Price-wise it's a no- brainer. I would bet that 80 percent of the fire sale buyers have had little or no experience with tablets and possibly even computers but saw it as an early black friday sale and jumped in to either make a few fast bucks on ebay, or give as gifts. (actually, it would be interesting to know the true demographics, and even more interesting the exact number of tpads sold during the fire sale-- 50,000? 200,000?) anyway here's what makes it a pretty unfun product imho. A rear facing camera is GREAT and it doesnt have one. I have probably a dozen ipad camera apps that do great things. I use the camera a lot. A front facing camera that actually takes still not just skype video. The ioad doesnt have an hdmi port but apple offers an inexpenduve dongle that allows you to do everything on an hdtv from watching movies to playing games. Nothing likevthstnon the TP. the ipad doesnt have an sd card slot but it has a dongle that has sd and usb. The ipad is really a full blown entertainment center for tv movies internet radio netflix police radio ham radio. And a lit more. It trulis mindboggling to me thar a company like hp produced a priduct like the hp -- so undiphisticated. I hope to find wats to enjoy it but it kacjs SO much. Maybe the is us great -- i'll soon find out but is it suoerior to the ipad os, it'll be interestung to find out. Believe me when i say i'm not bashing the TP becayse i just got it. I just wanted to alert newbies like me to what is missing. But for $149 you cant go wrong if you can get one. I wrote this using the ipad keyboard so please give me a break on typos.

I wanted to address his "concerns" but the thread was already closed. I think I addressed them pretty rationally.

To address your opinions:

1. Rear Camera: I think the majority of people would not consider this a deal breaker. While fun, the practicality of a rear camera on a 10 inch device is not really there. Why doesn't ANY laptop have a rear camera? It just doesn't make sense. Regardless yes it would have been nice but I don't consider this a negative for the Touchpad; just a plus for the iPad.

2. Front Facing Camera: There's a 99 cents app called "Camera for Touchpad" while resolves your issue of not being able to take still photos. So consider the cost of your Touchpad now $150 instead of $149. The quality is just as crappy as with the iPad.

3. Dongle Features: You really can't compare these apples (get it) to apples. While it's nice to have the option of HDMI out and SD card expansion via dongle; this isn't an out of the box experience for either. I don't think that this is a negative for the Touchpad NOR a plus for the iPad. If anything the Xoom gets this right with onboard HDMI out and a micro sd card slot. While some people might get use out of these dongles I don't consider this a deal breaker either. Also - who the eff plays GAMES on the iPad while having it connected to a TV?

4. Apps - You mention that the iPad is a full-blown entertainment center for movies, etc. listing out apps such as netflix, internet radio, etc. Yes you are 100% correct with this. On my iPhone I watch Netflix movies at the gym, it has replaced my XM portable radio, I have instant access to almost any song imaginable with Napster, etc. None of these apps are on the Touchpad. IT IS WELL KNOWN THAT THE TOUCHPAD/WEBOS HAS LIMITED APP SUPPORT (sorry for caps). Don't buy a Touchpad if you want a TON of apps. However, you fail to point out some viable alternatives. Touchpad has access to the web version of Hulu. Touchpad has Pandora and Iheartradio for Internet Radio. Touchpad has a Spotify app for paid a streaming music database service. We all know it's not as much as the iPad but WebOS has some options.

5. You fail to point out some other great features of the Touchpad. You have to recognize that it is a multitasking beast, the card stacking feature is very useful. It has full support for Google Talk (which is huge for some people). It actually has a great Facebook app (again huge). It has integrated cloud based backups and contacts. It has AIM, dropbox, Skype, etc. built right into the OS. It's one of the first tablets to allow you to switch the size of the keyboard (which you might need judging by all your mistakes). The notification system is to die for (especially on the TP compared to the Pre). The touchstone accessory is advanced albeit overpriced. And it is great at the MAIN uses/features of a tablet such as browsing, email, messaging, music and videos, and eReader functionality (Kindle app).

It's give and take with the Touchpad. If you wanted an iPad clone stick to the iPad. I personally prefer using the Touchpad over my iPad for basic tablet features since the card system is so intuitive and makes going from email, to browsing, to messaging a breeze. I use my iPad now for certain specific apps.
    there is a reason it was closed.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcohengd View Post
    I wanted to address his "concerns" but the thread was already closed. I think I addressed them pretty rationally.

1. Rear Camera: I think the majority of people would not consider this a deal breaker. While fun, the practicality of a rear camera on a 10 inch device is not really there. Why doesn't ANY laptop have a rear camera? It just doesn't make sense. Regardless yes it would have been nice but I don't consider this a negative for the Touchpad; just a plus for the iPad.

2. Front Facing Camera: There's a 99 cents app called "Camera for Touchpad" while resolves your issue of not being able to take still photos. So consider the cost of your Touchpad now $150 instead of $149. The quality is just as crappy as with the iPad.

3. Dongle Features: You really can't compare these apples (get it) to apples. While it's nice to have the option of HDMI out and SD card expansion via dongle; this isn't an out of the box experience for either. I don't think that this is a negative for the Touchpad NOR a plus for the iPad. If anything the Xoom gets this right with onboard HDMI out and a micro sd card slot. While some people might get use out of these dongles I don't consider this a deal breaker either. Also - who the eff plays GAMES on the iPad while having it connected to a TV?

4. Apps - You mention that the iPad is a full-blown entertainment center for movies, etc. listing out apps such as netflix, internet radio, etc. Yes you are 100% correct with this. On my iPhone I watch Netflix movies at the gym, it has replaced my XM portable radio, I have instant access to almost any song imaginable with Napster, etc. None of these apps are on the Touchpad. IT IS WELL KNOWN THAT THE TOUCHPAD/WEBOS HAS LIMITED APP SUPPORT (sorry for caps). Don't buy a Touchpad if you want a TON of apps. However, you fail to point out some viable alternatives. Touchpad has access to the web version of Hulu. Touchpad has Pandora and Iheartradio for Internet Radio. Touchpad has a Spotify app for paid a streaming music database service. We all know it's not as much as the iPad but WebOS has some options.

5. You fail to point out some other great features of the Touchpad. You have to recognize that it is a multitasking beast, the card stacking feature is very useful. It has full support for Google Talk (which is huge for some people). It actually has a great Facebook app (again huge). It has integrated cloud based backups and contacts. It has AIM, dropbox, Skype, etc. built right into the OS. It's one of the first tablets to allow you to switch the size of the keyboard (which you might need judging by all your mistakes). The notification system is to die for (especially on the TP compared to the Pre). The touchstone accessory is advanced albeit overpriced. And it is great at the MAIN uses/features of a tablet such as browsing, email, messaging, music and videos, and eReader functionality (Kindle app).

It's give and take with the Touchpad. If you wanted an iPad clone stick to the iPad. I personally prefer using the Touchpad over my iPad for basic tablet features since the card system is so intuitive and makes going from email, to browsing, to messaging a breeze. I use my iPad now for certain specific apps.
    All of the above is moot. The Touchpad is EOL, not because it sold in the tens of millions, and a new one is on the way. It failed. Probably because of not having all things you think are not relevant, and probably for the things you do think are relevant , like multitasking, touchstome.

You're beating a dead horse.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    All of the above is moot. The Touchpad is EOL, not because it sold in the tens of millions, and a new one is on the way. It failed. Probably because of not having all things you think are not relevant, and probably for the things you do think are relevant , like multitasking, touchstome.

You're beating a dead horse.
    No it failed because of poor pricing and marketing decisions.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcohengd View Post

I use the rear camera plenty with FaceTime. The ability to switch camera's to show the person that you are having a video chat with, what you are looking at is extremely helpful. I think you fall into the "If I don't want it, then it must be useless" category.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I use the rear camera plenty with FaceTime. The ability to switch camera's to show the person that you are having a video chat with, what you are looking at is extremely helpful. I think you fall into the "If I don't want it, then it must be useless" category.
    No I said it just shouldn't be considered a negative. Nice to have but a negative? I just don't agree.
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    TL ; DR

I am a numbers person. To me, these numbers make sense.

A $100 tablet that can sit with the heavy hitting $400-$500 tablets? Yeah. Plus webOS is a delicious tablet OS, whereas Honeycomb seems to be an intermediate-step OS while Google preps for the Ice Cream Sandwich tablet wave.

So, in essence. More power to TouchPad!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    there is already an iPad vs touchpad thread.
    <<more threads merged>>
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujila View Post
    TL ; DR

I am a numbers person. To me, these numbers make sense.

A $100 tablet that can sit with the heavy hitting $400-$500 tablets? Yeah. Plus webOS is a delicious tablet OS, whereas Honeycomb seems to be an intermediate-step OS while Google preps for the Ice Cream Sandwich tablet wave.

So, in essence. More power to TouchPad!
    Love your avatar lol.

The Thing is the touchpad is a 400-500 tablet marked down to 100.
    Every missing feature from TouchPad is small piece of wood that fueled stake on which TouchPad is burnt. Launch price is just initial ignition. It's like HP intentionally made compilation of all missing features from other platforms and then decided not to include them all on Touchpad.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    I sometimes I wonder if HP actually thought the touchpad was a good product. Did they really think customers woudln't be able to tell how bad it is? At least at $99 you can overlook the numerous flaws.
    Hello,

I have a new Touchpad and the surfiing speed isnt good. The websites takes longer to load than on a iPad1 witch has much poorer hardware. I testet a lot of websites simultaneous.

I set protocolling to minimum and did all the tweaks an patches - but im on 1,2 GHz (1,5 cant bring so much needed for iPad 1 performance).

When I deactivate Javascript, the websites load ~like on iPad, but I cant surf so, because a lot of websites then dont work.

Can that really be the true, that surfing is that lame? Is there something else I can do?
    Its pretty fast for me.
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    must be something wrong your end as the HP pad really flys.
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    The browser is very poor - overclocking might give you a little extra nudge.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
    No way around the issue, until a newer browser is ported onto the TP. I have the ipad1 and 2, alomg with my TP which is overclocked to 1.5ghz. The TP is slower by quite a bit, but it doesn't bother me. I accept that it is a bit slower, but at 1/5 the price tag, I'll not let the extra couple seconds bug me.
    sent from my 32gb Touchpad
    wait we have flash ios doesent.
    ArchonAdvisors and zfrogz like this.