View Poll Results: Who Will Be Getting The iPad 2?

Voters
268. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

53 19.78%
  • No

78 29.10%
  • Hold Out for HP TouchPad

137 51.12%
Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
    If you consider the state of all iPad competitors, Apple has another free year. The first year, (which we are still in), competitors were in denial, then shock, then desperation. The second year, everyone is trying to rush half-baked products out the door and make as much noise as possible.

Consider the 43 tablets announced at CES. They are either running Android 2.x, or 3.0 that they did not even have access to. The PB, using a smaller screen, will be little more than a BB accessory. The TouchPad is pre-beta, still in the concept phase. This is the second-year competition.

The iPad 2 will be twice polished, without need of much more than a ram boost and better speakers. The ecosystem will double before a single piece of software is written for the others. All of the other tablets just serve to make the iPad look better, right now. It will not be until year three before Apple is pushed by anyone. Most of the current players will not make it to year three, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    If you consider the state of all iPad competitors, Apple has another free year. The first year, (which we are still in), competitors were in denial, then shock, then desperation. The second year, everyone is trying to rush half-baked products out the door and make as much noise as possible.

Consider the 43 tablets announced at CES. They are either running Android 2.x, or 3.0 that they did not even have access to. The PB, using a smaller screen, will be little more than a BB accessory. The TouchPad is pre-beta, still in the concept phase. This is the second-year competition.

The iPad 2 will be twice polished, without need of much more than a ram boost and better speakers. The ecosystem will double before a single piece of software is written for the others. All of the other tablets just serve to make the iPad look better, right now. It will not be until year three before Apple is pushed by anyone. Most of the current players will not make it to year three, IMO.

Well, all phone apps will work for the touchpad. If you've used an ipad you know that just isnt the case. The scaling is terrible, a lot of times making them unusable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spade View Post
    I think its funny that we are comparing it to a device that doesnt exist. Dont you wanna see what Apple announces before you make this decision.

As a user (girlfriend has one), I can tell you they better release a lot for ipad2, cus ipad1 sucks. You really cant do much of anything on it. It is very good for reading web pages when sitting around, but it is really annoying to use iOS. So hard to get back to where you were when you close an app. Its not just me, my girlfriend has the same issues with it.
    That is an interesting observation, seeing as to how no iPad competitor actually exists, either. They are just now getting a look a HC for the first time. I can't find a PB anywhere. The TouchPad will not be out for some time. The iPad two is actually in production. Though it hasn't been announced, it is less vapor than any of its killers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spade View Post
    Well, all phone apps will work for the touchpad. If you've used an ipad you know that just isnt the case. The scaling is terrible, a lot of times making them unusable.
    Let's see how that emulation layer works out. And for the record, most iPhone apps DO work on the iPad. Fortunately, the iPad has about 60,000 dedicated apps. How many will HP be able to write and give away in the next six months?
    There's a bright side to all of this...one good thing that the Touchpad will have over the Ipad... there won't be much of a line to get one if any at all. You should be able to walk right in and get one... no camping out like the Verizon Iphone launch. Take that Apple.

Sfm Evo
    <<thread moved to proper forum>>
    I am kind of surprised that pre-2 in USA is still not available, though coming soon, makes me wonder if pre-3 will come in June if Lucky. Anyway, I think pre-3 may come after Apple Iphone-5, just like touchPad for sure will come after iPAD-2.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    Why nobody can match the iPad's price - CNN.com

When Steve Jobs introduced the iPad last January, the biggest surprise wasn't the actual product. (Many shrugged and called the iPad a "bigger iPhone.") It was the price: Just $500.

Nobody expected that number, perhaps because Apple has traditionally aimed at the high end of the mobile computer market with MacBooks marked $1,000 and up. And perhaps we were also thrown off because Apple execs repeatedly told investors they couldn't produce a $500 computer that wasn't a piece of junk.

But Apple did meet that price, and the iPad isn't junk. The iPad is still the first, and best-selling, product of its kind. Competitors, meanwhile, are having trouble hitting that $500 sweet spot.

Motorola's Xoom tablet is debuting in the United States with an $800 price tag. (To be fair, the most comparable iPad is $730 -- but there's no $500 Xoom planned, and the lack of a low-end entry point will hurt Motorola.) Samsung's Galaxy Tab, with a relatively puny 7-inch screen, costs $600 without a contract.

Why is it so hard to get to a lower starting price? And how was Apple able to get there?

Jason Hiner of Tech Republic suggests it largely has to do with Apple's retail strategy. Apple now has 300 retail stores worldwide selling iPads directly to customers. That's advantageous, because if the iPad were primarily sold at third-party retail stores, a big chunk of profit would go to those retailers, Hiner reasons.

Apple has partnered with a few retail chains such as Best Buy and Walmart, but those stores always seem to get a small number of units in stock. Hiner rationalizes that the true purpose of these partnerships is probably to help spread the marketing message, not so much to sell iPads.

"The company can swallow the bitter pill of hardly making any money from iPad sales through its retail partners because it can feast off the fat profits it makes when customers buy directly through its retail outlets and the web store," Hiner says. "However, companies like Motorola, HP, and Samsung have to make all of their profit by selling their tablets wholesale to retailer partners."

The retail advantage is a reasonable theory, but Hiner neglects to mention the high overhead costs that Apple must pay handsomely for each of its 300 stores. To Hiner's credit, Apple running its own stores does present clear benefits: the customer outreach is enormous, and of course, in Apple stores, Apple products don't have to compete with gadgets sold by rivals on other shelves.

But when we try to decipher why the iPad costs $500, we have to consider the sum of all parts, not just the retail strategy.

Apple is the most vertically integrated company in the world. In addition to operating its own retail chains, all Apple hardware and software are designed in-house, and Apple also runs its own digital content store, iTunes.

Designing in-house means Apple doesn't have to pay licensing fees to third parties to use their intellectual property. For instance, the A4 chip inside the iPad is based on technology developed and owned by Apple (not Intel, AMD or Nvidia). The operating system is Apple's own, not something licensed from Microsoft or Google.

HP unveils tablet, phones Why do you think Hewlett-Packard bought Palm to make the TouchPad? HP wanted ownership of a mobile operating system in-house to take control of its own mobile destiny and stop being so reliant on Microsoft (which, to this day, doesn't have a credible tablet strategy).

On the iTunes media platform, Apple takes a cut of each sale made through each of its digital storefronts: the App Store, iBooks and iTunes music and video. iBooks still has a long way to go before it's anywhere near as big as Amazon, but the App Store and iTunes are the most successful digital media stores of their kind.

At the end of the day, the iPad might be worth well above $500 for all we know. (Part estimates made by component analysts such as iSuppli aren't very useful because they fail to measure costs of R&D and other factors.) It's most likely that Apple can afford to absorb the costs of producing and selling the iPad because of the tenacious ecosystem backing it, and also because it has such tight oversight over every aspect of the company to control price.

That's what it all boils down to: ecosystems and control. Competitors are struggling to match the $500 price point because they aren't as fully integrated as Apple, in terms of retail strategy, a digital content market, hardware and software engineering -- everything.

As Steve Jobs famously put it one day, "Apple is the last company in our industry that creates the whole widget." Competitors are having trouble beating the iPad widget.
    I read an article that says the reason is Apple has BILLIONS in cash to negotiate production lock-ups where they get virtually all of the supply of particular components at far lower prices than most competitors.

Both answers are probably partly true, but if anyone can compete with that, it ought to be HP. Vertically integrated, great distribution and enough purchasing power to get good production deals. Will they lower profits to spread the message? we'll see.
    662 Posts
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Doesn't Apple have to pay for the ARM license?
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    Doesn't Apple have to pay for the ARM license?
    I think Apple has something like an architecture license that allows them to build chips in-house.

I could be wrong though.
    Sources: iPad 2 lands in thinner body with spec bump and cameras, SD slot and higher resolution display are out -- Engadget

I remember way back when the touchpad was announced and all these people started flipping out saying it would be outdated by the ipad 2 since the ipad 2 would have umm everything. Looks like its biggest change is just getting a camera... wow. I expect everyone to post to apples facebook wall complaining just like they did to hp.
    I agree, but I was surprised when HP was shooting for last years iPad Dimensions instead of trying to beat them. They had to of known that Apple was going to cut the size a bit. That being said if they did it for battery, which was reduced to match the weight, I think it was a good idea.
    I agree, but I was surprised when HP was shooting for last years iPad Dimensions instead of trying to beat them. They had to of known that Apple was going to cut the size a bit. That being said if they did it for battery, which was reduced to match the weight, I think it was a good idea.
    I DID call in another TPad thread that if you take the current iPad and iteratively "spec bump the components...voila! iPad2. Did you REALLY think Jobsey was going over the top? C'mon, how would he get the followers to by the iPad again next year as iPad3 if he went all out on this one?

*Waits anxiously for a certain posters reply to this thread* (If he'll even dare chime in based on this news)

(Name rhymes with "sandy bay thirteen")
    The most important thing missing from iPad are more memory and Flash. Since flash is not going to be available on ipad, more memory is the only thing one could hope for and that is easy to implement. I am still mad that iphone 4 released 3 months later has more memory than my ipad which is a tablet while iphone is a phone @#$#@@#.

A bigger, beefier processor and lighter device were also no brainer. I doubt we will see a so called "retina" display on ipad for at least 2 more years since Apple is in the market for making money and these panels are just too expensive right now. A better screen with edge lit LED may not be that far fetched though.
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,555 Global Posts
    I think people are looking in the wrong direction for this ipad2 discussion, I think the killer feature is going to be something connected to that massive data centre they've just built. So it's going to be software rather than hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I think people are looking in the wrong direction for this ipad2 discussion, I think the killer feature is going to be something connected to that massive data centre they've just built. So it's going to be software rather than hardware.
    I definitely think they'll have some software related announcement, but the ipad1 should be able to handle anything their about to put out. I know apple is famous for incremental updates, but this one is surprisingly modest.
    I still really want 64GB in the TouchPad, I really don't know how I would survive when I have already used over 60 on my iPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Exactly. As usual, folks are declaring victory because some rumors indicate the TouchPad might be in the same hardware class as the iPad2. As I recall, the "iPhone-killing" Pre was in the same hardware class as the iPhone 3GS and we all know how that turned out.

Once (if ever) the TP gets an app foundation and HP provides its webOS users with an experience beyond comparing engineering specs, something useful might happen.
Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast