View Poll Results: Who Will Be Getting The iPad 2?

Voters
268. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

53 19.78%
  • No

78 29.10%
  • Hold Out for HP TouchPad

137 51.12%
Page 38 of 43 FirstFirst ... 283334353637383940414243 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
    Thanks Reign25 for the post. I do agree with all your accusations and was very happy to see a reaction of a well informed consumer who knows the competition first hand. I take pride in making sure I am well informed and have used a device for a period of time before making any permanent opinions. Like today, a friend just got the Moto Atrix and I was able to play around with it for a while and get his input on it after using it for a week. It is a very solid device and the finger scanner is no gimmik, as it is very useful and surprisingly well placed on the device. My friend told me about he wonders of the battery, 90% and he had seriously been using it quite a bit for 4 hours (a was there). However, it does have its faults as it can become sluggish at times. (wait, just remembered this is a Palm forums he he)

I really like your comparison between the Xoom and the Playbook. I was able to take away from your post that the first sample of HP's huge marketing hold is a good one. If they got Staples completely on board with this and promoting it like on the website, I just can't wait to see the rest. Lastly, I am interesting to hear the first confederation that the TouchPad will have HP's newly acquired Instant-On technology. I am still a little skeptical as they would have made a big deal out of it at the Feb 9th event, as stated in another thread, the Instant-On could still possibly be just turning it on but I can hardly see that making any kind of Specs list.

Thanks,
    Rennat

EDIT: lol, Cantaffordit it seems that we both played with the Attrix!
    Last edited by Rennat; 04/22/2011 at 08:56 PM.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    I spent time with the xoom and the attrix today.

in terms of performance and kludginess, i've decided:

Attrix: Win98

Xoom: WinXP

webOS: OSX
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I spent time with the xoom and the attrix today.

in terms of performance and kludginess, i've decided:

Attrix: Win98

Xoom: WinXP

webOS: OSX
    Really

Attrix to 98, My friends have Attrix and its the fastest phone I have used so far, I don't know why are you saying so.
    <thread moved>
    Quote Originally Posted by Filjosh View Post
    Really

Attrix to 98, My friends have Attrix and its the fastest phone I have used so far, I don't know why are you saying so.
    The combination of speed and clunkiness of the UI was surprising. It was clunky, and not the smooth/responsive experience of the Thunderbolt or DroidX.

I was surprised. I had a hard time figuring stuff out, the salesman had even more trouble. It wasn't polished and it wasn't smooth. Just like Win98 on a P3 compared to Win7 on an i7. I was not expecting that. Personally, I think it was totally a function of trying to adapt Android to work with a mouse, keyboard, etc. When I popped the phone out and used it alone, it was a little better, but they must have added a control layer in there that is really injecting a lot of overhead.

When you see something polished and consistent - webOS, Win7, OSX, iOS... something that was cobbled together really sticks out and that's the way the Attrix came across to me.

The network was plenty fast, but the UI wasn't. And accomplishing simple things took a lot of trial and error that I didn't have when playing with other Android devices.
    Still don't think a camera is important on the back of a tablet, I think this will prove otherwise lol!!!

Start at 20:33
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I was surprised. I had a hard time figuring stuff out, the salesman had even more trouble.
    I don’t know, I’ve played with a couple of Android phones at Verizon. They didn’t seem that hard to figure out. Yeah, they were different than WebOS, but not exactly what I would call “hard” to operate or figure out.

Put another way, you go to all the various webpages to try and educate yourself on the different phone choices, obviously all filled with people that are already using the different phones. I mean, there are posts from hoards of people that can’t even structure a sentence and have never even heard of punctuation. You’d swear their knuckles drag when they walk, yet they all seem to be making full use of all the different phone OSes that WebOS users constantly complain about as being unusable…

-Suntan
    I can understand, my wifi also think so but I have vowed to wait for the HP as it offers much more than the ipad. the user friendliness and many more.
    Can we add usb ports on the chart as well?
  10.    #750  
    The opening post Tablet Comparison Chart is updated to reflect that the Toshiba Thrive base base configuration is $429.

Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    Can we add usb ports on the chart as well?
    They all have USB but from there on it gets complicated. The Asus, Iconia, Samsung, and Toshiba are full USB OTG that allow USB memory sticks, keyboards, etc. The Xoom requires a ROM for full USB OTG. Some are USB through an adapter. Some are a full-sized USB port, some are micro. Some are both. Some have one USB port capabillity, some have two. The only one to offer full USB OTG and multiple USB ports is the Asus but that is too complicated to explain.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 06/13/2011 at 01:18 PM.
    So why isn't the clock speed of the TouchPad listed in green? It is higher than any other tablet on the list. In fact, I guess all the other tablets should be listed in red since they are all 1 GHz.
  12.    #752  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    So why isn't the clock speed of the TouchPad listed in green? It is higher than any other tablet on the list. In fact, I guess all the other tablets should be listed in red since they are all 1 GHz.
    Raw CPU speeds and benchmarks are a factor but system optimization is more important.

Last year we tested devices with users at our sister sites to see how 1GHz Pre's and Androids would do against slower clock iPhones and BlackBerry's. The iPhone 4 and even older BlackBerry's did well in every test. In some tests they were actually the fastest devices.

Other specs are more tangible. More memory means more photos, music, movies, and videos. Thin and light is a big plus. At a track meet, one dad was recording in 1080p on his tablet. It was amazing to see it played back right there but later on a HDMI HD TV is was stunning.
    touchpad vs playbook vs iPad vs Samsung vs Xoom

Just did a comparison of various tablet search terms on Google insight. Who'd have thought the HP Touchpad would be in the lead.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    At $149 for 32 gb i figured was a no brainer. At minimum its a web browser with flash and some apps and pretty disposable at that price COMPARED to my briliiant iPad2. But i can see why no one was buying them before the fire, to wit: no hdmi capibility, no sd card slot, a single mini usb that as a newcomer i'm not sure until i get it what it can do. Its mindboghling that hp actually came out with such a tab in the first place. While i'm pretty much mac, i do havd an hp laptop wuth hdmj and blu ray and its really a workhorse but this tab is a question mark. *** were they thinking?
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    im thinking u dont deserve that touchpad and should give it to me!
    There is a mini usb at the bottom of the Touchpad. You can connect that to you mac or pc to transfer files via usb. I recommend the first thing you should do is update to the latest version. You will begin enjoying your touchpad after that. It will quickly grow on you. It is a very good tablet but the hardware was lacking in certain areas
    to the average consumer some of those didn't' matter.

is the tablet perfect? no.. no product is.

SD card slot is not really required because u have on device storage, and u have 50 gb free box.net

Not many people care for an hdmi cable. There are already apps in the catalog that allow you to stream wirelessly rather than plugging in cables.
    semprini likes this.
    To the OP, I can see what you're saying, but you might want to actually use the tablet before you complain about it.

I mean, the connectivity of the Touchpad is horrible, I've been saying that all along. No video out and no SD slot are little things, but to some they're a huge deal.

No video out means no presentations for businesspeople on the Touchpad, no watching movies on a TV in a hotel room for frequent travelers, etc.

No SD slot means if you have an actual camera, you need to have a laptop to transfer pictures from the camera to your Touchpad. If you're bringing the laptop anyway, why use the Touchpad?

That being said, most of us got the Touchpad because the user experience is more important than that to us. I had hoped that with future tablets that HP would wise up on the connectivity, but obviously that's not going to happen.
    un_designer likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nychotxxx View Post
    But i can see why no one was buying them before the fire, to wit: no hdmi capibility, no sd card slot, a single mini usb that as a newcomer i'm not sure until i get it what it can do. Its mindboghling that hp actually came out with such a tab in the first place. *** were they thinking?
    Um....iPad 2: No HDMI, No Sd card slot, a single proprietary charing slot. (and no removable battery, usb port, etc.)

The reason no one was buying them was the price and the price alone. HP shouldn't have priced these the same as the iPad since, you are right, there are no differentiating features. But if the iPad has proven something, its that users don't give a crap about HDMI out or a SD card slot or a full sized USB port. At least with other tablets people can use the extra features to justify paying the same (or more) as the iPad. For the Touchpad vs. iPad, there was no trickery of extra features. Which is why pricing killed it.