View Poll Results: Who Will Be Getting The iPad 2?

Voters
268. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

53 19.78%
  • No

78 29.10%
  • Hold Out for HP TouchPad

137 51.12%
Page 37 of 43 FirstFirst ... 273233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
    Apple has never had any trouble competing with cheap manufacturers and I'm sure that will continue. Have you looked how much cheaper same-spec notebooks are compared to MacBook Pro's? Yet they're selling very well.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
  2.    #722  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    Apple has never had any trouble competing with cheap manufacturers and I'm sure that will continue...
    Apple is in no danger of failing.

The iPhone since 2007 improved faster than the competition until the Droid Incredible, EVO 4G, Droid X, and Epic 4G all finally ganged up and together outsold the iPhone 4 starting last summer. It is like a thousand piranhas going after one shark.

Now come the Nexus 4G, EVO 3D, Atrix 4G, Thunderbolt 4G and a dozen more that are the next generation and the iPhone right now is still stuck on iPhone 4. For the first time a single phone on one carrier is outselling the iPhone 4 on the same carrier:

HTC Thunderbolt outselling the iPhone 4 on Verizon, analyst says

Your mobile manager at Best Buy or Verizon will tell you that the Thunderbolt is outselling the Verizon iPhone's. That is a first for one Android phone to beat an iPhone on the same carrier.

But it didn't take three years to fill the tablet river with piranhas. By this summer there will be a dozen great Android tablets beyond the iPad 2 and Xoom from Samsung, Asus, Acer, LG, and HTC.
    the better question is "how can the TouchPad compete against all these Android options from a HW perspective. And if HP/TouchPad can compete, then why not the iPad????
  4.    #724  
    I added the Toshiba Tablet to the opening post comparison but it is not much different than the Xoom ($599). Maybe the Toshiba can be at or below the Asus $399 price? But Toshiba's buys their devices from a manufacturer adding another level of mark-ups.

There should be eight new tablets for 2011 out by June.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 04/15/2011 at 09:26 AM.
  5.    #725  
    Android Central: Toshiba's trio of tablets is dubbed ANT? Hope not, but at least there's pricing

As Android Central says, "Tell us this isn't the Toshiba ANT...The pricing? Well, that's another matter. There are 8GB, 16GB and 32GB versions listed, at $449, $499 and $579, respectively. That's a little higher than what we'd like to see..."

At these prices, the Toshiba would be in trouble. The 16GB Toshiba tablet at $499 is thicker and heavier than the 16GB Acer Iconia at $449 and Asus Transformer at $399.

The way to go with the Toshiba might be the $449 8GB version and then spend $50 on a 32 GB SD card to have 40GB for $499. That's right, SD, not microSD.

The Toshiba does have a 2MP front camera and 5MP rear camera with AutoFocus and zoom and HDMI 1080p out, about the same as the rest. but it is over-priced.

See the comparison chart:

HP TouchPad vs. iPad 2, Xoom, PlayBook, Galaxy 10, Acer, Asus

Amazon.com has the Toshiba Tablet listed here:

Amazon.com: Toshiba 10.1-inch Android Tablet: Computer & Accessories

Staples has the Toshiba Tablet listed:

Toshiba Tablet | Staples.com®

Also:
    Expected in May.

I went back to compare the expected Toshiba price to actual and found this:

Pricing for Next 10 Tablets Leaked - PreCentral Exclusive!

The Toshiba was expected to be $499 when it would be available in June. It is now expected at $449. But that is not enough of a reduction.

Toshiba's real problem is that the Asus is $50 cheaper for about the same specs. And for just $50 more you can have the Samsung 10.1 that is half as thick, lighter, and offers 3G/4G options.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 04/18/2011 at 11:47 AM.
  6.    #727  
    Per Android Central, the Initial ASUS EeePad Transformer stock sells out.

In the UK, the $399 10" Asus Transformer sells for £380 (~$610) and the first three runs are now sold out. New shipments are not expected until June.

The Transformer has specs comparable to the $600 Motorola Xoom but for hundreds less: 1280 x 800, dual-core 1 GHz, 1.2 MP front camera, 5 MP rear camera, 1080p HDMI output, microSD, etc.

The standout feature is that the Transformer has an attachable full QWERTY keyboard that transformers it into a netbook.

See the:
    HP TouchPad vs. iPad 2, Xoom, PlayBook, Galaxy 10, Acer, Asus
    Great that it sold out. Big question is, how many did they have available? If a few hundred thousand, then thats impressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    The Samsung Galaxy 10 is thinner, lighter, smaller, 4G, and has larger storage options due to the microSD card slot that the iPad 2 is missing.

The Samsung Galaxy 10 is higher def than the iPad 2 in every possible way: screen, HDMI, recording, front camera, and back camera.

The Samsung Galaxy 10 is the tablet the iPad 2 should have been at the price that the Xoom should have had.

But the Samsung Galaxy 10 is already over-priced compared to the Acer Iconia A500 now on the Best Buy website at $449. Better yet, the Acer is a "pure" Honeycomb experience with no Samsung TouchWiz to deal with.

The Asus Transformer at $399 is even less expensive tablet that doubles as a netbook. The Transformer has already been

Plus the keyboard that turns the $399 Iconia A500 into a netbook is included! (Amazon UK)

How can the iPad 2 compete with that?
    About 70K more Apps.
  9.    #730  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Great that it sold out. Big question is, how many did they have available? If a few hundred thousand, then thats impressive.
    Each order is estimated to be under 30,000, so less than 100,000 so far. It is thought that since Asus had limited units available they did the UK only initial release.

Note that today you can buy Samsung, Toshiba, Asus 10" netbooks at Bestbuy for under $300. They all are under 3 pounds and have 160GB+ hard drives and 1.6 GHz processors. The HP is $329.
    I know there are other threads like this, as well as reviews, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents in since I have used each one of these devices (except for the Touchpad) for at least a week.

I work at Staples (sucks I know) and we started selling the Xoom as well as the Playbook recently and will soon get the Acer and then the Touchpad when they are released.

I started using the Xoom pretty much everyday and it's everything I expected and a little bit more. I HATE Android. I bought an Evo in October when my father wanted my Pre (bought it on launch day and replaced it twice). I've been using the Evo ever since and cannot stand Android. I love the hardware, but Android is a bug ridden OS that is WAY behind webOS and very inferior. I can break that down more, but I digress and just wanted to set my basis for you all.

The Xoom is more than I imagined because Android 3.0 had a nicer UI, it was super smooth, and the UI reminded me a bit of webOS. Then I remembered that the webOS UI designer was with Google now. It shows in terms of the UI. Now does this equate to something I want? Hell no. It still has bugs (which Engadget has agreed with), still way behind webOS in terms of multi-tasking and doesn't really have any uses (this is true for all non-Windows tablets however). For a regular consumer that just wants to use the Xoom as a content consumption device, go for it if you want because it's smooth and does just that fine, but I want something more for that $699.99 price tag.

The Playbook I had to set this up about a week ago for our Tuesday launch and have been messing around with it ever since, but I HAD to stop. It's sluggish (although and update today made it a tad smoother), the transitions are nice, but not efficient and smooth (webOS deals with this much better), and you can't do ANYTHING besides web browsing as of right now (essentially). Why do I say that? It has what seems like under or around 50 apps (50!!!!) and I read that the SDK has not been released yet. That's absurd. Now, they said there is a solution to the number of apps (look-up what they said about Android apps conversion, just like what Palm did in terms of the PDK), but it doesn't help with people that want it now. The Playbook also does not have video conferencing yet, but they said that would be coming soon (but again doesn't help). I didn't mention Bridge, because it's pointless. HPalm's Touch to Share takes hold of this idea and does it MUCH better from what I've seen.

I want to also say that the Playbook is obviously not meant for the the regular consumer like the Xoom is. The Playbook is meant for the business user that needs to do access business content on the go, and that is very apparent at the size and weight of the hardware (which I unexpectedly, absolutely loved). The drawbacks are NO CALENDER CLIENT, no contact client, and unexpectedly complicated and inefficient OS (that obviously attempted to copy and webOS and failed hard). I just hate the Playbook and would buy the Xoom over the Playbook in a heartbeat and can't see any reason to suggest a Playbook over the Xoom. I really can't. The hardware formed a niche that the OS (QNX), cannot fulfill.

Now on to the TouchPad! Obviously I haven't used it yet, but I've read about it and used its competitors and am now super excited. HP is spreading webOS to printers, computers, phones and tablets! That's FULL RANGE! That's insane and I'm super excited for it. Every area that the tablets I mentioned failed in, the TouchPad aims to succeed in and create its own market. I don't have the money, but I am seriously considering the TouchPad. I do wish it weighed less, but webOS on the TouchPad has so many uses compared to the Xoom and Playbook that it's just ridiculous. Let me use my webOS printer to seamlessly and quickly print with my TouchPad while I quickly transfer my open cards on my phone to my TouchPad so I can finish doing what I'm doing. Let me stream my automatically cloud-synced music and utilize the Beats Audio power.. You know what? I feel like playing Angry Birds too. Let me go ahead and update my facebook status to tell everyone what I'm up to with Just Type. You know what? Let me do this ALL AT THE SAME TIME WITHOUT LOSING ANYTHING!

Crap. I don't have enough time to turn the TouchPad on to look something up and my phone doesn't have a big enough screen to read it quickly and easily. Oh you know what? I can just press this button right here and look-up what I need to and have the TouchPad booted up in only a few seconds (I don't know how long it would take, but I think it would be around 10 seconds) with the new HP INSTANT-ON technology! Did I mention I'm excited?

If you want to get excited, check this out HP TouchPad | Staples and read all of it.
    Last edited by Reign25; 04/20/2011 at 08:19 PM.
    Twitter: @Eddie255
    Thanks for your review and its nice to see instant-on, hope this will be on the Pre 3. Also, keep us updated.
    Well l have to disagree on your feelings about the Playbook. I had the original iPad and just got the Playbook today. The PB is an excellent device and BB made a great choice in going with QNX. I use a Pre Plus and I think it's great that BB QNX and WebOS are similar but not exactly alike. The PB is fun to use and not complicated at all. It will be great to see how the OS will grow and what features will be added in the future. Peace
    I have to disagree with your feelings about the xoom. I have it. Its a great device and the operating system is very functional (unlike the one on I pad...). Google Android 3.0 is great. Very nice system that gives webos a run for its money.

The playbook I agree with. I hate the fact that it has no contacts app, no calendar app, no support for video chat, and kinda choppy animations on cards. Of course "they will update." But that is absolutely no excuse. Just like its no excuse that the xoom launched without micro SD card support.
    just a quick PSA for those of you who are going to the store to try out the Xoom: when you are done, remember to go into the settings and remove your account. i can't remember where exactly you go to do that because it was VERY hidden.

otherwise, everything related to your google account will be there for the next person to see, like when i saw this guy's personal emails and everything. yikes.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I love the new playbook, fast, smooth, swipy goodness. Android sucks and H.P. is nowhere to be found. And the playbook still has more apps than the Touchpad (native). more apps will come including the native mail app. Bridge works fine with my Bold and i can surf anywhere. And the hardware is fantastic, software will get there, QNX is as capable as webos or more with being able to run virtual OS's.
    Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    I have to disagree with your feelings about the xoom. I have it. Its a great device and the operating system is very functional (unlike the one on I pad...). Google Android 3.0 is great. Very nice system that gives webos a run for its money.
    Like I said, it's a big improvement and I was very impressed. There were elements of the UI that reminded me of webOS and its simplicity, but I just don't like the bugs you encounter as with the usual Android.

In terms of OS's, Windows Phone 7 (of course with the updates coming) and webOS are my favorite OS's. webOS for obvious reasons why.
    Twitter: @Eddie255
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    The last thing I would characterize the Honeycomb UI is simplicity.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Thanks for your details on your review. I was hoping for better news about the playbook as sort of a WebOS like device, right sized and available now. The apps are a drawback, but at least they have the hardware out so it is not total vaporware.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Each order is estimated to be under 30,000, so less than 100,000 so far. It is thought that since Asus had limited units available they did the UK only initial release.

Note that today you can buy Samsung, Toshiba, Asus 10" netbooks at Bestbuy for under $300. They all are under 3 pounds and have 160GB+ hard drives and 1.6 GHz processors. The HP is $329.
    I think so far that the Asus is the only viable Honeycomb tablet worth looking at so far in competition to iPad2. Netbooks just don't have the battery life. Looks like the Asus has excellent battery life.