View Poll Results: Who Will Be Getting The iPad 2?

Voters
268. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

53 19.78%
  • No

78 29.10%
  • Hold Out for HP TouchPad

137 51.12%
Page 36 of 43 FirstFirst ... 263132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Because I work with computers, I tend to briefly notice what computer different establishments use. I haven't shopped at BB enough to say what they use, but I'll try to remember next time I'm in one.

My point remains the same though. I go to the same dr's office, and have for years, so I know that their computers are Dell. However, even though I look up and notice on virtually every vendor I deal with, I forget it about the time I walk out the door.

I no more believe a dedicated POS device on an iPad would significantly affect iPad sales than I believe that the Palm devices that so many various businesses used to scan items (everything from packages to tickets at public events) affected their sales.

If iPad is the only pad out, or even the major owner of the market that they are right now, maybe. However, I suspec that in the months to come, the general public will be looking at tablets more and more and think "tablet" rather than "iPad".
    zomg! but itz apples!
    I will use my Optimus s to tether the 32gb wifi

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    why dont you just tether from your phone?

From work, to school, to ariports and home, I am usually blanketed by a wifi hotstop about 90% of the time.

You should see that as well
    I do have plenty of wifi around here. But traveling, I'm thinking in terms of hotel rooms for instance.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Oh I don't think (nor am I saying) that Best Buy associates using iPad's for POS and reference will dramatically impact sales, but I think it could certainly help in its recognition and further mindshare.
    I do think POS and warehouse centric usage can dramatically impact sales, and establish operating system. Tens of millions devices are running mobile operating system beneath POS apps, and I hope HP is planning to enter that market since MS is in limbo by shifting to WP7.
    Lots of folks here is making jokes about HP still selling WM6.1 devices, but WM5.0, WM6.0 and WinCE are still dominant in specific professional areas hidden from our eyes.

UPS,USPS,DHL... could one day use webos, ios or android devices.
    Last edited by chalx; 03/05/2011 at 06:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    I do think POS and warehouse centric usage can dramatically impact sales, and establish operating system. Tens of millions devices are running mobile operating system beneath POS apps, and I hope HP is planning to enter that market since MS is in limbo by shifting to WP7.
    Lots of folks here is making jokes about HP still selling WM6.1 devices, but WM5.0, WM6.0 and WinCE are still dominant in specific professional areas hidden from our eyes.

UPS,USPS,DHL... could one day use webos, ios or android devices.
    That's true, a perfect example of this is Apple themselves. If you've never been inside an Apple store, it's pretty fascinating. All the sales associates there use iPod Touches that are in a case that gives it much longer battery life, includes a barcode scanner (the laser type), and also a credit card reader.

All transactions can be done right there on the spot without ever having to go to a "cash register", for anything in the store, even activations for the iPhone.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._checkout.html
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I do have plenty of wifi around here. But traveling, I'm thinking in terms of hotel rooms for instance.
    Working as a consultant, I travel constantly. I have wifi in every hotel room I have been to, as well as all airports.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I really doubt that the sales associates are going to be given the tablets for their own use. I say that because there are just too many sales associates at BB, and their turnover is too high.
    I am not so sure. Many airlines are going/have gone paperless for their pilot crews. I think Southwest,, JetBlue, & American are already paperless & either use notebooks, tablets or netbooks. My airline has over 12.000 pilots and we have about 50-100 pilots working w/pads now as a test (I don't know which brand). These pads have all our manuals, our Jeppesen Approach plates, maps, etc.

Whether they will be given to the pilots individually or if they will be assigned to the planes is still to be determined, but it is cheaper, certainly long term, than paper, employing jet librarians, excess weight & space used on the plane, etc. as we do now.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    Working as a consultant, I travel constantly. I have wifi in every hotel room I have been to, as well as all airports.
    They pretty much all have wifi now, but the quality of that wifi varies greatly. Many hotels are under 300kbps & she may need better. I know I often do.
  9.    #709  
    The opening post is updated to reflect that the iPad and iPad 2 offer microSD through adapters:

microSD: The Xoom and Galaxy have built in microSD slots allowing for up to 32GB of additional storage. The iPad requires an adapter.

For those who like a real keyboard, the opening post is also updated to show external wireless and docking keyboards:

External Keyboard: Full-size keyboards allow faster typing. See: HP TouchPad wireless keyboard, Apple iPad keyboard dock and wireless keyboard, Motorla wireless Xoom keyboard. After market options are also available.

Touchpad: 740 g (9.7" IPS)
    (6300 mAh)

ipad 2: 601 g (9.7" IPS)
    (6930 mAh)

Xoom: 730 g g (10.1" screen)
    (6500mAh)

GalaxyT: 599 g (10.1" TFT Screen)
    (6860 mAh)

Touchpad is heavier and larger than the others and has the same size display as the ipad 2.
    The Galaxy Tab 10.1 has the same size as the xoom and just beats apple with the lightest weight. The ipad 2 is the thinest but wider than xoom and the tab.
    Last edited by IcerC; 03/14/2011 at 11:30 AM.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Playbook is looking like a strong contender if they can integrate with the existing Blackberry base and offer 4G radios. Corporate types should be pleased.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Similarly, I travel all over the US and find lots of wifi hotspots in hotels and airports ... and most of them charge a fee ranging from $5 to $15-per-day and a quality that varied pretty widely. It's a somewhat, if barely workable situation, but it's not particularly cost-effective.
    Sorry for the late reply to this post, but also be aware that hotel wifi is often monitored. So your info may not be private. They know which sites you're visiting.

Another reason to use the 3G models or bring your own MiFi device.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Plus the first one was badly launched and probably didn't sell well. A restart is sorely needed anyway. And now Samsung looks like a good competitor. I don't know if they'll have 4G capability though, but the new designs are great.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Plus the first one was badly launched and probably didn't sell well. A restart is sorely needed anyway. And now Samsung looks like a good competitor. I don't know if they'll have 4G capability though, but the new designs are great.
    They annouced that there will be LTE and WiMax versions of both Galaxy Tabs.
    Another nail in HP's tablet coffin if so. From what I understand they didn't mention 4G. Or did they?

P.S. I see they did, but separate versions of 3G and 4G? That can't be right. I also see that they did say the wifi will be first.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 03/22/2011 at 05:03 PM. Reason: added something

Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    I might have to get that 8.9" supper slim Galaxy tab.
    I'm 90% sure that I will get the Galaxy Tab 8.9 when it comes to Verizon.
  17.    #717  
    I updated the opening post to reflect the Samsung Galaxy 10 at $499 and the Asus Transform at $399. These Honeycomb tablets have specs are beyond the Xoom which still sells for $599. Go figure.

Many of us have already owned Asus phones because they along with HTC made several of the Palm Treo's.
  18.    #718  
    Opening post comparison chart updated to include the 10" Acer Iconia A500 coming out in a few days. It is $449 on Bestbuy.com
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The Galaxy Tab will be coming in at 8.6 mm thick

This ^^ is the Tyson left-hook, right-uppercut combo to the chin of Jobs and iPad2. Apple lost their "magical" advantage once Sammy released a higher spec'd THINNER tablet for $499. Will the iP2 fail because of this? No, in the same way iPhone has not failed. However, iPhone is currently #3 in the smartphone race.

iPad2 will still be 'flocked' to by those that graze on fruit, but the rest will see it for what it is....an inferior product, and use their wallets to revolt against the RDF.

As for the TPad? HP is doing quite well with the Envy line and as of yet NO ONE has seen HP's performance with respect to the Palm products, The Veer is due soon, and with that launch and marketing push, we'll see what HP is bringing to the table. For now, just remember HP ($126B) > Palm ($700M)
  20.    #720  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    This ^^ is the Tyson left-hook, right-uppercut combo to the chin of Jobs and iPad2. Apple lost their "magical" advantage once Sammy released a higher spec'd THINNER tablet for $499. Will the iP2 fail because of this? No, in the same way iPhone has not failed. However, iPhone is currently #3 in the smartphone race...
    The Samsung Galaxy 10 is thinner, lighter, smaller, 4G, and has larger storage options due to the microSD card slot that the iPad 2 is missing.

The Samsung Galaxy 10 is higher def than the iPad 2 in every possible way: screen, HDMI, recording, front camera, and back camera.

The Samsung Galaxy 10 is the tablet the iPad 2 should have been at the price that the Xoom should have had.

But the Samsung Galaxy 10 is already over-priced compared to the Acer Iconia A500 now on the Best Buy website at $449. Better yet, the Acer is a "pure" Honeycomb experience with no Samsung TouchWiz to deal with.

The Asus Transformer at $399 is even less expensive tablet that doubles as a netbook. The Transformer has already been

Plus the keyboard that turns the $399 Iconia A500 into a netbook is included! (Amazon UK)

How can the iPad 2 compete with that?
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 04/12/2011 at 09:27 AM.