View Poll Results: Who Will Be Getting The iPad 2?

Voters
268. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    53 19.78%
  • No

    78 29.10%
  • Hold Out for HP TouchPad

    137 51.12%
Page 35 of 43 FirstFirst ... 253031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
Results 681 to 700 of 860
Like Tree30Likes
  1. #681  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    ...At that moment, I realized it was curtains for the competition...
    Wanna place a bet on that? I always stand amazed that in the tech industry, folks will make predictions about companies going out of business, or giving up in an area of competition (I can only assume that's what you mean by "curtains for the competition") based on their anecdotal experience.

    I'll repeat. Want to make a bet on your statement. I'll even let you define how long it's going to take for it to be "curtains" for the competition.
  2. #682  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Wanna place a bet on that? I always stand amazed that in the tech industry, folks will make predictions about companies going out of business, or giving up in an area of competition (I can only assume that's what you mean by "curtains for the competition") based on their anecdotal experience.

    I'll repeat. Want to make a bet on your statement. I'll even let you define how long it's going to take for it to be "curtains" for the competition.
    I don't think it's curtains for the competition. It will just be the iPod all over again.

    You know how it was. The iPod versus everyone else. The PlaysForSure group that got no traction, then MS tried with the Zune and got no traction.

    The Xoom is already at Sam's Club being discounted and it hasn't even been out two weeks yet. Samsung is publicly admitting that they need to redo their tablet since the iPad 2 has come out.

    The TouchPad is late as usual and thick, cheap plastic, missing features, etc.

    Apple has first-mover advantage. I don't foresee anyone out innovating Apple in the tablet market anytime soon. Looks like they have 2011 all locked up for success.
  3. #683  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Wanna place a bet on that? I always stand amazed that in the tech industry, folks will make predictions about companies going out of business, or giving up in an area of competition (I can only assume that's what you mean by "curtains for the competition") based on their anecdotal experience.

    I'll repeat. Want to make a bet on your statement. I'll even let you define how long it's going to take for it to be "curtains" for the competition.
    maybe for 2011 only?
  4. #684  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    I don't think it's curtains for the competition. It will just be the iPod all over again.

    You know how it was. The iPod versus everyone else. The PlaysForSure group that got no traction, then MS tried with the Zune and got no traction.

    The Xoom is already at Sam's Club being discounted and it hasn't even been out two weeks yet. Samsung is publicly admitting that they need to redo their tablet since the iPad 2 has come out.

    The TouchPad is late as usual and thick, cheap plastic, missing features, etc.

    Apple has first-mover advantage. I don't foresee anyone out innovating Apple in the tablet market anytime soon. Looks like they have 2011 all locked up for success.
    It's now 2011 (10 years later) and there's still no iPod competitor.
  5. #685  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    It's now 2011 (10 years later) and there's still no iPod competitor.
    Yep, because all the iPod competitors did was to try to out-SPEC the iPod line and thought that the masses would buy their better spec'd product. Well, we see how that turned out.

    But, they didn't learn from their past mistakes because they are trying to use better specs again to try to outdo the iPad. Like people on here saying it's more like the iPad 1.5.

    People just don't learn that it's more than specs or bullet points on a box that make a great product.

    Speaking of bullet points, this video is hilarious, but so true...

  6. #686  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Areas of concern: carrier buy-in, no HDMI out, available apps, plastic body, lack of rear-facing camera, pricing, already-late ship date, availability of components, and defining a target market.
    The iPad 2 will also make the Touchpad seem pretty thick when it finally arrives with generic 1st gen tablet styling.
    HP has been on the drawling board for about a year. They aren't going back (at least for the first gen TouchPad). They might add some features -- like a camera on the back, but thats a minor change. They don't have time to go back to the drawling board. And they didn't announce any carrier deals -- sure, but that does not mean there is no carrier support for the TouchPad. We won't be getting a 3/4G version until Fall 2011 -- thats quite a long time. They probably still working out details, and without details why announce it? I don't remember the BlackBerry PlayBook announcing with carrier announcements, but Sprint is getting a WiMAX version of it. They all ready [B]think they/B] will have a good amount of apps. I don't know where all that support is coming from though....but going back to the drawling board and re-designing the device would not help that situation.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    The problem once again with a slow release: the initial crowd of 2011 tablet buyers have decided to buy what's out or coming soon. Maybe HP can get back to school sales like someone else mentioned, but that's the 2nd half of the year. The TouchPad was announced the 1st half, people will still remember it?
    I can see that. But there are still a lot of people who could be buying a tablet this year and have not yet. And please remember, HP started the WebOS tablet more then likely last year around June. If they want a decent product, they'd have to take at least a year to get that out. And considering they re-thought WebOS with 3.0 -- it's surprising we saw what we did in Feb. But that does not change the overall point that they are loosing time and loosing customers to the iPad 2 and other tablets that will come before the TouchPad.

    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    These companies can go back to the drawing board and change specs all they want but people aren't buying ipads based largely on hardware specs.
    Amen.

    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I know this was not addressed to me, but what the heck. The very first thing I will do is download GarageBand... as soon as I stop playing with that white, leather Smart Cover.
    I want that app, plus iMovie. Although I'd probably only use it once or twice. But I have to admit the designer in me loves the idea of mobile iMovie. (I use to dabble in photoshop when I was younger).
  7. #687  
    Just making a tablet in my opinion does not mean your making "post pc" devices. Google is trying to be the Windows for mobile devices, but I think HP truly understands that tablets and phones are the future and one day laptop sales will slow and tablet sales will soar. They want to be able to control their future, which is why they bought WebOS.

    Sadly, I don't think Microsoft gets this and they will not be very successful. If you think HP is going to be late I'd hate to see the comments of the 2012 Windows Tablet PC OS ....
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 03/05/2011 at 12:00 AM. Reason: edited out quote
  8. #688  
    Microsoft admitted today that they won't have a tablet OS until Windows 8 ships 2 years from now. I think that's a wrap for them in the post-PC space.
  9. #689  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Microsoft admitted today that they won't have a tablet OS until Windows 8 ships 2 years from now. I think that's a wrap for them in the post-PC space.
    Holy crap! They are in trouble!!
  10. #690  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Just got the shock of my life, or at least, of the week. I called my mother while out and about, maybe an hour ago. We were talking about nothing in particular, and she started telling me about the new iPad. My mother is 67 years old and has no interest in tech or love for Apple. She uses an XP PC and prefers IE6.

    I asked her how she knew about the iPad 2. She said she heard it on the news and figured I would probably be interested. She even knew Steve Jobs gave the presentation and met with the president. She shocked me again by telling me she wanted an iPad. This is my mother we're talking about. Yes, I have a mother.

    At that moment, I realized it was curtains for the competition. When my totally blind, 67 year old mother starts babbling about wanting an iPad 2 and Steve Jobs, the apocalypse has to be near. I started to ask her if she had considered the HP TouchPad, but decided against it.

    This thing is in the consciousness of the general public and the Oprah crowd. It's over.



    I know this was not addressed to me, but what the heck. The very first thing I will do is download GarageBand... as soon as I stop playing with that white, leather Smart Cover.

    OT, but you really need to get your mother off IE6.

    IE6 Countdown

    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  11. #691  
    @dandbj13 off topic but I 2nd Phone Diva's recommendation. Also, iPad is actually pretty hip with the over 60 crowd. It requires little to no learning and can not be broken as iOS won't let you change anything. iTunes integration is a pain as iTunes is crap on windows but that gives you another reason to buy her a Mac.
  12. #692  
    Mac's are the easiest system to learn, I was a PC guy since 1984, I got my first comp it was Apple IIc, I had that till like 1989 then I got IBM 286, had that then got Sony Vaio, than started building my own systems, up until recently, so you see I was a PC guy for long time, I recently got a iMac and my wife she said it is so hard to use, so I said give yourself 2 days to learn and now she totally loves says she cant use comp at work it is a PC, Apple uses the same mettology on all there product K.I.S.S ( Keep It Simple Stupid )
    This is why Apple is so successful across the board, it is hardware that they bring to the table but most of it is software, there OS simple and clean. This is what a average consumer wants. Take out of box and go to use, simple. All other companies are missing there targets either with over priced hardware, weak software or both. Another year or two and most of these companies will drop out of the Pad race. Right now is the time for saturation between all of them.
  13. #693  
    Steve Jobs' reality distortion takes its toll on truth

    Steve Jobs' reality distortion takes its toll on truth - Google 24/7 - Fortune Tech

    Apple twisted facts and used an erroneous quotation to try to convince crowds that all other tablets had no shot at de-throning the iPad in 2011.
  14. #694  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I wonder how this will affect things?

    AppleInsider | Best Buy rumored to give Apple's iPad to all its sales associates

    If Best Buy, an HP stronghold, is going to have every salesperson carrying an iPad, how much oxygen will be left in the room for, you know, those hundred other tablets?
    I really doubt that the sales associates are going to be given the tablets for their own use. I say that because there are just too many sales associates at BB, and their turnover is too high.

    If something like this happens, I suspect it's going to be part of their POS system (the article alluded to that), in which case I don't see it having a major impact. What brand computer do you see when they ring up the sale? This would be much the same thing.

    I'm also curious, where's the outrage we saw in another similar thread about the possibility of HP giving away phones. No calls of "bribery" on this one?
  15. #695  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Getting an ipad2 wifi March 11th.
    I just wanted to ask if you're going to use a Mifi device while out of the house? I'm considering paying for only the wifi version, but then the price with a Mifi adds up to the cost of the 3G iPad.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  16. #696  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I really doubt that the sales associates are going to be given the tablets for their own use. I say that because there are just too many sales associates at BB, and their turnover is too high.

    If something like this happens, I suspect it's going to be part of their POS system (the article alluded to that), in which case I don't see it having a major impact. What brand computer do you see when they ring up the sale? This would be much the same thing.

    I'm also curious, where's the outrage we saw in another similar thread about the possibility of HP giving away phones. No calls of "bribery" on this one?
    The POS machines they use (at least at the Best Buy's I've been to) are intended for one purpose: point of sales. I don't think even think you can buy one in the consumer market (as they're not even intended for consumers??)

    I think it's a bit different if an associate is walking around toting a device that many consumers are walking in to potentially purchase.
  17. #697  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I just wanted to ask if you're going to use a Mifi device while out of the house? I'm considering paying for only the wifi version, but then the price with a Mifi adds up to the cost of the 3G iPad.
    why dont you just tether from your phone?

    From work, to school, to ariports and home, I am usually blanketed by a wifi hotstop about 90% of the time.

    You should see that as well
  18. #698  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    The POS machines they use (at least at the Best Buy's I've been to) are intended for one purpose: point of sales. I don't think even think you can buy one in the consumer market (as they're not even intended for consumers??)

    I think it's a bit different if an associate is walking around toting a device that many consumers are walking in to potentially purchase.
    Because I work with computers, I tend to briefly notice what computer different establishments use. I haven't shopped at BB enough to say what they use, but I'll try to remember next time I'm in one.

    My point remains the same though. I go to the same dr's office, and have for years, so I know that their computers are Dell. However, even though I look up and notice on virtually every vendor I deal with, I forget it about the time I walk out the door.

    I no more believe a dedicated POS device on an iPad would significantly affect iPad sales than I believe that the Palm devices that so many various businesses used to scan items (everything from packages to tickets at public events) affected their sales.

    If iPad is the only pad out, or even the major owner of the market that they are right now, maybe. However, I suspec that in the months to come, the general public will be looking at tablets more and more and think "tablet" rather than "iPad".
  19. #699  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Because I work with computers, I tend to briefly notice what computer different establishments use. I haven't shopped at BB enough to say what they use, but I'll try to remember next time I'm in one.

    My point remains the same though. I go to the same dr's office, and have for years, so I know that their computers are Dell. However, even though I look up and notice on virtually every vendor I deal with, I forget it about the time I walk out the door.

    I no more believe a dedicated POS device on an iPad would significantly affect iPad sales than I believe that the Palm devices that so many various businesses used to scan items (everything from packages to tickets at public events) affected their sales.

    If iPad is the only pad out, or even the major owner of the market that they are right now, maybe. However, I suspec that in the months to come, the general public will be looking at tablets more and more and think "tablet" rather than "iPad".
    Oh I don't think (nor am I saying) that Best Buy associates using iPad's for POS and reference will dramatically impact sales, but I think it could certainly help in its recognition and further mindshare.
  20. #700  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Oh I don't think (nor am I saying) that Best Buy associates using iPad's for POS and reference will dramatically impact sales, but I think it could certainly help in its recognition and further mindshare.
    You may not say (or imply) that, but another Apple enthusiast seemed to imply that it wouldn't leave much "oxygen" for the other tablets.

    I guess we're in agreement then, that the statement was a bit ... overly enthusiastic.

Posting Permissions