View Poll Results: Who Will Be Getting The iPad 2?

Voters
268. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

53 19.78%
  • No

78 29.10%
  • Hold Out for HP TouchPad

137 51.12%
Page 34 of 43 FirstFirst ... 242930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rickwestland View Post
    I just showed your post to my wife, she said hundreds, not thousands. She will be getting her iPad2 soon, i will still be waiting for the TouchPad.
    i think unfortunately for HP i think this is pretty close to accurate. It's just not a product that is in anyone's mind.

There was a great line in the ipad2 keynote and it was typical Jobs miracles and bluster and rainbows and unicorns and change the world stuff. But i think he's right. Paraphrasing he said. "Nobody wanted a tablet before iPad? The tablet market IS the iPad." Sad but true. obviously "nobody" is an exaggeration but big picture, yeah, it's true. The world wasn't going crazy until iPad came along. Netbooks weren't in danger til iPad. I saw several reports and 90% of tablets sold are iPads. That's fricken amazing by any measure. They didn't invent the concept of a tablet. They weren't the first tablet. They were the first one consumers really wanted. Right now i'd have to agree with Jobs. iPad is the the tablet market.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    They weren't the first tablet. They were the first one consumers really wanted. Right now i'd have to agree with Jobs. iPad is the the tablet market.
    Yep, being "the first" and "the first that matter" are often not the same. The latter is always the better position to be in.

Side note: Jobs' closing was one of the more powerful parts of that keynote. "Go get your hands on it." Compare that to HP's "sorry, I'm not suppose to let you touch it."
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Yep, being "the first" and "the first that matter" are often not the same. The latter is always the better position to be in.

Side note: Jobs' closing was one of the more powerful parts of that keynote. Go get your hands on it. Compare that to HP's "sorry, I'm not suppose to let you touch it."
    saw most of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Perhaps this will be yet another translation error, but Samsung is admitting publicly that the GTab 10.1 is inadequate compared to the iPad 2. I've never seen anything like that.

Samsung finds parts of Galaxy Tab 10.1 'inadequate' compared to iPad 2, reconsiders pricing -- Engadget

I suspect this is going on in boardrooms all over the world.
    Why in the world would this be admitted publicly?
    $539 is still too much for an incomplete product. No way I'm going to buy a product knowing I have to send it in for repairs after the sale (I know it's an upgrade rather than a repair and the 4G issue is probably unrelated to this WIFI-only version).

There is also the issue with the SD card. What the heck? Ship it when it's ready or no sale!
    Samsung considers Galaxy Tab 10.1 overhaul following iPad 2 unveiling.

Apple changed everything AGAIN.

Samsung considers Galaxy Tab 10.1 overhaul following iPad 2 unveiling | BGR

Does HP considering overhaul the TouchPad?
    Quote Originally Posted by joek71 View Post
    Samsung considers Galaxy Tab 10.1 overhaul following iPad 2 unveiling.

Apple changed everything AGAIN.

Samsung considers Galaxy Tab 10.1 overhaul following iPad 2 unveiling | BGR

Does HP considering overhaul the TouchPad?
    Like someone said, they should Folio the TouchPad and and start copying...erm...engineering the TouchPad 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    Touchpad will be a beta phone and first adopters will go through the same growing pains that of those with the Pre-
    Unfortunately, it would appear you're unclear on the meaning of "beta". Those that buy the first TouchPad will no more be "beta" (BTW, it's not even a phone!!!) thant he first iPad owners had beta devices.

Early adopters, yes. The "beta" talk is just more of the "homer" talk you derided.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Even if we pretend Apple and Google froze their code for the past year out of sheer mercy, webOS STILL hasn't come close to catching up in any meaningful way. As Vyruz pointed out above, today's webOS is actually worse off in many ways.

edit: I just realized hparsons is going to ask me to quantify that so I'm talking about both first and third party functionality.
    I don't care if you "quantify" it or not, but I am curious.

Why the personality issue. Are you really so lacking in confidence about what you post that you feel you must turn it into a personal matter?
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    How could he be pulling his hair out, didn't he say he does not look at other devices? If that"s true, LOL, then theoretically he does not know about the iPad 2
    Actually, that's not even close to what he said. However, i'm sure the aPhans have turned it into that.
    Quote Originally Posted by joek71 View Post
    Exactly HP is not getting the word out, I think it is less then thousands when it comes to regular female consumer. And even a male average consumer.
    I suspect that HPs major pushes won't come until they have product to sell. Until then, you'll only see announcments, youtube videos, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Unfortunately, it would appear you're unclear on the meaning of "beta". Those that buy the first TouchPad will no more be "beta" (BTW, it's not even a phone!!!) thant he first iPad owners had beta devices.

Early adopters, yes. The "beta" talk is just more of the "homer" talk you derided.
    The Palm Pre and Sprint made it quite clear to me some time ago on what beta means.

Let's see if the Touchpad compares:

1. Announcement and then a 6 month wait? check
    2. New OS? check webOS 3.0 has basically been rewritten for it.
    3. Same guy running the show? check Ruby
    4. Does it have the requisite plastic to be considered a Palm? check

All we need now is a "series" of webinars and a quick demo of media sync (itunes). Roger isn't around for comedic relief, but HP has enough people not on the same page to make up for it.
    I suspect that HPs major pushes won't come until they have product to sell. Until then, you'll only see announcments, youtube videos, etc.
    Exactly.
    I'm making my order for an iPad 2. This is primarily an app-based decision as I still like cards and the webOS UI better from a functionality standpoint. I think all tablets will be fast from my perspective. Also, accessories will be far more plentiful for the Apple products for the foreseeable future.

iPad 2 is less than I hoped for and more than I need. At $499, it's going to be hard to compete. Someone needs to lower their prices or leapfrog their R&D if they want to catch up before Apple has a PC like lead over the Mac.
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    I'm making my order for an iPad 2. This is primarily an app-based decision as I still like cards and the webOS UI better from a functionality standpoint. I think all tablets will be fast from my perspective. Also, accessories will be far more plentiful for the Apple products for the foreseeable future.

iPad 2 is less than I hoped for and more than I need. At $499, it's going to be hard to compete. Someone needs to lower their prices or leapfrog their R&D if they want to catch up before Apple has a PC like lead over the Mac.
    well enjoy your ipad 2! You should post what you think when you get it and tell us your first impressons. What apps btw do you want? Just curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I'm predicting that the TouchPad may be going back to the drawing board. Why? Because HP can easily see what the demand for this device will be by staging a few hands-on focus groups with the TouchPad, iPad 2, Xoom, and Playbook over the next several weeks. If things don't look good, they don't have to launch. HP has plenty of other businesses that they fully engaged in. They don't absolutely need to be in tablets right now - especially with a potentially expensive and brand-damaging failure.

Areas of concern: carrier buy-in, no HDMI out, available apps, plastic body, lack of rear-facing camera, pricing, already-late ship date, availability of components, and defining a target market.
    The iPad 2 will also make the Touchpad seem pretty thick when it finally arrives with generic 1st gen tablet styling.
    Didn't you start a thread with this same topic?
    It got shut down though. Maybe they told him to post in the existing thread?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    $539 is still too much for an incomplete product. No way I'm going to buy a product knowing I have to send it in for repairs after the sale (I know it's an upgrade rather than a repair and the 4G issue is probably unrelated to this WIFI-only version).

There is also the issue with the SD card. What the heck? Ship it when it's ready or no sale!
    There's an SD card issue with the Xoom??
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    The problem once again with a slow release: the initial crowd of 2011 tablet buyers have decided to buy what's out or coming soon. Maybe HP can get back to school sales like someone else mentioned, but that's the 2nd half of the year. The TouchPad was announced the 1st half, people will still remember it? And like I've said before, there's too much time to give the others a track record to gain mindshare, even if they don't get the marketshare iPad will. iPad not your first choice? Fine, the 2nd choices will be either a PlayBook, a Xoom, etc. etc. Even some are just rooting the Nook Color into a full Android tablet. There is less and less share for HP. Once again, HP(Palm) will have to make a big bang. They aren't convincing that they can do it though.

These companies can go back to the drawing board and change specs all they want but people aren't buying ipads based largely on hardware specs.