View Poll Results: Who Will Be Getting The iPad 2?

Voters
268. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

53 19.78%
  • No

78 29.10%
  • Hold Out for HP TouchPad

137 51.12%
Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst ... 232829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
    Actually, rereading my above post.. webOS is worse off today than it was in 2009.

1) We have devices running on 1.45, 2.01, 2.1 and 3.0. Different devices cannot run all OSes.
    2) App catalog is a mess. You cannot access things in other countries, different apps dont work with different phones
    3) The mojo to enyo transistion. What a Mind**** of a problem this is. Basically our App catalog is starting with 0 and it wont start ramping up until June with the touchpad release
    4) After 2 years from the initial Pre- release, and the pixi afterwards, We only have the same form factor and nixed the pixi form factor.
    5) This whole HP resources and scale hasnt done ****. We are still waiting months for releases
    Last edited by Vyruz Reaper; 03/03/2011 at 03:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I'm not knocking you for that, so please calm down.

What I am saying is you accept the adequacy of these apps on the TouchPad sight unseen and feature/choice deficient, yet need hard proof of certain capabilities on completing platforms.

I really am curious as to why making calls on a tablet is a major feature for you, and if you will be using Bluetooth headsets when doing so.

BTW, you can get texts on Android or iOS tablets if you use Google Voice. And likewise, if you want to take calls without the "hassle" of removing your phone, Bluetooth headsets are plentiful and relatively inexpensive. No WebOS available, tho....
    I understand you are not knocking me. However, it is a little frustrating when I continue to say what I like about the TouchPad -- most of the time replying to your threads -- and it seems you just take quotes of what I say and take them completely out of context, then forget what I have said. So lets take this frame by frame.

"What I am saying is you accept the adequacy of these apps on the TouchPad sight unseen and feature/choice deficient, yet need hard proof of certain capabilities on completing platforms. "

I have seen the music browser on WebOS 1.0. Sure, it's possible that Palm/HP somehow screwed up what I all ready like but I somehow doubt it. And it's not like I am not going to try the TouchPad before I spend my money on it. If it does not do what I want, I will not buy it and probably will get the PlayBook or iPad since both of those I like (iPad has better battery life and my wife wants one -- so probably would get that). But iPad 2 is my second choice, as I explained before, WebOS has the features I want.

"BTW, you can get texts on Android or iOS tablets if you use Google Voice." I have used Google Voice and I didn't really like it. Although thats because my BlackBerry was so old and slow it was useless. It might be worth trying if I buy a iPad or Android tablet (which I wont buy an Android tablet btw I know that for sure).

Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    My friend, if you for one second think the iPad 2 won't get the next major release of iOS (presumably 5), you know nothing about Apple.
    I never said it won't. Again, taking what I said out of context. Let me help you.

Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Because I want the ability to answer my phone and texts with my tablet. While that's not an application it is a feature of the touchpad. Sure, iOS 5.0 will probably get a similar feature. But there is no guarentee of those features and no promise ipad 2 will get iOS 5.0 when it first comes out. IPad 1 didn't get the latest iOS update till this year if I am not mistaken. But the features and apps I want are on touchpad.
    Now read the bold text, and then read the larger text. As you can clearly see -- I said when it first comes out. I am assuming that iOS 5.0 will come out with the iPhone 5. I am also assuming, like last time, Apple will release iOS 5.0 for iPhones and iPods first then move it to the iPad 2. I could be wrong, sure, but I know I am not wrong about the slow iOS update last time. Don't believe me? Let me show you. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_(Apple) As my memory did serve me correctly, the iPad received iOS 4 in November with iOS 4.2. That means that if they follow the same trend -- which there is no indication that they are changing OR sticking to the same path they did last time (we just don't know either way) -- then the iPad 2 wont get the iOS 5.0 update till November. Now what is a longer wait, this summer or this Fall?

So let me state this very clearly for you: The iPad 2 will get iOS 5.0 update, it will also get 6.0, and more then likely will get 7.0. It will continue to be supported. But that doesn't mean the iPad 2 will get the updates FIRST or the same time as my iPod and your iPhone (OK I don't know if you have the iPhone but you get the picture).

Now let me state for the record -- just so people can ignore the comment -- the TouchPad does have it's fair share of weakness. It's not a perfect device. And the iPad 2 is a GREAT and AMAZING piece of technology and anyone who buys one is not wasting money. They are making a good choice on a solid product. But just because the iPad 2 is a good choice does not mean the TouchPad will not be a good choice either. And again, is it so hard to believe their is a fan of HP/Palm products on a fan site for Palm products? I make no indication I am not a fan, and I have wanted a WebOS device since the Palm Pre came out. And I still want one gatta go
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The logical flaw, over the last two years, of saying that webOS just needs time to catch up is that it assumes that the other platforms are, in some way, slowing down. This is clearly not the case. There is all sorts of innovation in mobile platforms over the past year which, clearly, will make the TouchPad an also-ran as soon as it launches.

I'm sure Rubinstein is pulling his hair out over the deja-vu he is experiencing as his tablet is going to eventually launch into a crowd of tablets led by a 2nd generation iPad device that might as well be "comparing someone to Michael Jordan" all over again. The competition in the Summer/Fall is going to be very tough for webOS - again.
    Even if we pretend Apple and Google froze their code for the past year out of sheer mercy, webOS STILL hasn't come close to catching up in any meaningful way. As Vyruz pointed out above, today's webOS is actually worse off in many ways.

edit: I just realized hparsons is going to ask me to quantify that so I'm talking about both first and third party functionality.
    Last edited by nappy; 03/03/2011 at 03:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The logical flaw, over the last two years, of saying that webOS just needs time to catch up is that it assumes that the other platforms are, in some way, slowing down. This is clearly not the case. There is all sorts of innovation in mobile platforms over the past year which, clearly, will make the TouchPad an also-ran as soon as it launches.

I'm sure Rubinstein is pulling his hair out over the deja-vu he is experiencing as his tablet is going to eventually launch into a crowd of tablets led by a 2nd generation iPad device that might as well be "comparing someone to Michael Jordan" all over again. The competition in the Summer/Fall is going to be very tough for webOS - again.
    How could he be pulling his hair out, didn't he say he does not look at other devices? If that"s true, LOL, then theoretically he does not know about the iPad 2
  5.    #645  
    Do you want to buy a tablet or accessory made by Apple, HP, Palm, Motorola, or RIM?

You can't. None of them make tablets, phones, or their accessories.

Apple, HP, Palm, Motorola, and RIM products and accessories are made by third-party Original Design Manufacturers (ODMs). For instance, Apple iPads and iPhone are made by Foxconn. Palm has used a variety of manufacturers including HTC, Asus, and Samsung. We don't know who is making the new HP devices and accessories but HP owns none of those factories.

Samsung, HTC, and LG really do assemble many of their own devices and sometimes accessories but even then parts come from other companies.

The "brand" is often just that, a brand. Yes, they will tell you that they carefully watch the real manufacturer's quality control. Apple even forced Foxconn to install the giant nets around the factory buildings to prevent more people from jumping off to commit suicide.

Touchstones are not made by Palm and Duracell myGrid is not made by Proctor and Gamble. Your Dell, Sony, or HP laptop is probably made by Compal, Quanta, or Inventec.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 03/06/2011 at 08:20 AM.
    Having read so many hands-on reviews of the iPad 2 as to have lost count, I am struck by the unanimity of opinion. Everyone seems to absolutely love it without reservation. The gushing praise is almost embarrassing, and I'm not just talking about a handful of Mac-centric bloggers.

After have considerable time to do whatever they wanted with the devices, they came away with the impression that it was what Apple said it was. Contrast this with the more reserved reception of the Xoom.

I was particularly looking for negative assessments of the iPad 2. I did not find any. This is what everyone else is up against. The majority of the tech press is singing the praises of the iPad 2. The easiest way for someone to get page hits is to slam the product. I'm not seeing it.

Interestingly enough, the most gushed over feature was that stupid Smart Cover. Every newspaper, every morning show, every celebrity talk show that features technology will show off that feature. It seems to have been built to elicit an emotional response. You can't beat this kind of juggernaut with tech specs that no one understands or cares about. So far, no one seems to even be trying to reach people on an emotional level. Apple has mastered the craft.

And about that cover, I'm buying two.
    The Xoom wasn't ready as it was advertised, I'd be reserved too. You can't review the nonexistent 4G. Plus the premium is being charged now, instead of when it's available. Motorola and Verizon(the wifi crap) blew the release of what I view as an actually good product.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  8.    #648  
    National ABC, NBC, and CBS news as well as every local TV news had a segment on the iPad 2 last night. Nightline did a glowing segment. CNN has had several segments on the iPad.

Google TouchPad iPad 2 news and you get all 5795 news articles like these:

No apps, no sale: iPad 2 vs. Motorola Xoom vs RIM Playbook vs HP ...
    Business Insider

Will you buy the new version of the iPad
    Wall Street Journal

Game Over: iPad 2 Will Dominate Tablet Rivals
    PCWorld

Mossberg: Apple May Have 'Moved Goal Posts Again' With iPad 2; Jobs Had 'Good ...
    Fox Business

The Apple iPad 2: I Told You So
    PC Magazine

The Apple iPad is Winning
    PC Magazine

iPad timing, pricing a jolt to Motorola
    Chicago Tribune

iPad 2: Big trouble for Android tablets?
    CNET

Why the iPad 2 Will Be Bigger Than You Think
    Motley Fool

Apple iPad 2 is geared to extend lead over Android tablets
    Washington Post

And some were not so rosey...

What Apple hopes you didn't notice about iPad 2
    CNN International

iPad 2 Specs Are a Disappointment
    The Mac Observer

iPad 2 is just minor update, iPad 3 is the biggie for 2011
    Pocket-lint.com

Spec Showdown: iPad 2 vs. Its Rivals - PCWorld
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 03/06/2011 at 08:20 AM.
    It's true the spec bump is not super huge. But if you didn't want an iPad until it got better, the 2 is certainly a better choice than the 1 with double the RAM and extra functionality. Unless you want the retina display.

That CNN article claims it may have the same RAM?? But I thought it was doubled from what I read elsewhere. Maybe the processor makes people think it has more RAM? Not sure here. I guess someone has to do a tear down.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 03/03/2011 at 05:28 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    It's true the spec bump is not super huge. But if you didn't want an iPad until it got better, the 2 is certainly a better choice than the 1 with double the RAM and extra functionality. Unless you want the retina display.

That CNN article claims it may have the same RAM?? But I thought it was doubled from what I read elsewhere. Maybe the processor makes people think it has more RAM? Not sure here. I guess someone has to do a tear down.
    I would bet everything I own on the RAM being doubled. That's one of the biggest quirks about the iPad 1, it's limited amount of RAM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Having read so many hands-on reviews of the iPad 2 as to have lost count, I am struck by the unanimity of opinion. Everyone seems to absolutely love it without reservation. The gushing praise is almost embarrassing, and I'm not just talking about a handful of Mac-centric bloggers.

After have considerable time to do whatever they wanted with the devices, they came away with the impression that it was what Apple said it was. Contrast this with the more reserved reception of the Xoom.

I was particularly looking for negative assessments of the iPad 2. I did not find any. This is what everyone else is up against. The majority of the tech press is singing the praises of the iPad 2. The easiest way for someone to get page hits is to slam the product. I'm not seeing it.

Interestingly enough, the most gushed over feature was that stupid Smart Cover. Every newspaper, every morning show, every celebrity talk show that features technology will show off that feature. It seems to have been built to elicit an emotional response. You can't beat this kind of juggernaut with tech specs that no one understands or cares about. So far, no one seems to even be trying to reach people on an emotional level. Apple has mastered the craft.

And about that cover, I'm buying two.
    You're not going to find anything bad because there is nothing bad about the iPad 2. it's amazing, powerful and sexy. Honestly, Apple has a winner and anyone who says different is just wrong. Hope you like your iPad's man!

I would bet everything I own on the RAM being doubled. That's one of the biggest quirks about the iPad 1, it's limited amount of RAM.
    I would bet it's doubled too. Hopefully more then that, but at least doubled.
    So much nerd and fan-boy rage in this post... do you actually expect to be able to force your view onto someone else?

Why can't everyone just be happy that there are actually legitimate choices now. No longer is the iPad ruling the roost as far as usability is concerned, now there are several quite capable tablets/OS's that can satisfy the users particular needs. Who cares if I say I like WebOS over iOS, it is what fits my individual needs the best.

I must say, I am quite puzzled over some peoples fanatical obsession with a particular operating system or manufacturer.
    I think we are all frustrated on the time table that HP is releasing the TouchPad, this is where HP messed up big time.
    Getting an ipad2 wifi March 11th.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Most likely I am also, I am like 90% sure. I was speaking to my wife about since it is for her, and I told her the pros and cons of both pads ( iPad2/TouchPad) and what got her are the apps, but she liked the wireless charging by HP, but the apps sold her on it and the release time was the major thing for her. She said if HP came out in Feb we would have gotten it but since iPad2 came out now and offers more than HP she said we be getting the iPad2. I bet there are thousands of people who are just like my wife.
    Quote Originally Posted by joek71 View Post
    She said if HP came out in Feb we would have gotten it but since iPad2 came out now and offers more than HP she said we be getting the iPad2. I bet there are thousands of people who are just like my wife.
    I bet there are millions like your wife. But, of those millions, only thousands have any knowledge of the TouchPad.
    Exactly HP is not getting the word out, I think it is less then thousands when it comes to regular female consumer. And even a male average consumer.
    Show them this:

Then show them this:

Then this:

EDIT> one of my favorites:
    What would they pick
    Last edited by IcerC; 03/03/2011 at 11:09 PM.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Show them this:

Then show them this:

Then this:

EDIT> one of my favorites:
    What would they pick
    I know it's only from 2009, but that Palm Pre commercial feels like it's from the 80's now for some reason. Seems so long ago.
    I bet there are millions like your wife. But, of those millions, only thousands have any knowledge of the TouchPad.
    I just showed your post to my wife, she said hundreds, not thousands. She will be getting her iPad2 soon, i will still be waiting for the TouchPad.