View Poll Results: Who Will Be Getting The iPad 2?

Voters
268. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

53 19.78%
  • No

78 29.10%
  • Hold Out for HP TouchPad

137 51.12%
Page 31 of 43 FirstFirst ... 212627282930313233343536 41 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
    Can this be what we all have been waiting for?

Sprint bringin 'the latest in wireless innovation at CTIA' this month

Sprint bringin 'the latest in wireless innovation at CTIA' this month | Android Central

Or is it all going to Android. I hope HP & Sprint finally got together.
    Quote Originally Posted by joek71 View Post
    Can this be what we all have been waiting for?

Sprint bringin 'the latest in wireless innovation at CTIA' this month

Sprint bringin 'the latest in wireless innovation at CTIA' this month | Android Central

Or is it all going to Android. I hope HP & Sprint finally got together.
    Dude...check the URL. Question answered.

They're only inviting Android sites. Phandroid got the same invite.
    I was hoping PreCentral would get one but thanks for pointing it out, I jumped the gun with this one. Was hoping for the best, but since HP is sitting quite than I can only assume they have not forged any carriers. Can HP be going to the route of Google and trying to sell the Pre3 directly from HP and plug it in to any carrier, since HP is quite. Or maybe HP is short on parts and this is why they have not made any head news with carriers. Anyway you spin it HP is following behind everyday to Apple,RIM,LG, Motorola, etc..
    Maybe they can do some more teasing rhymes as to upcoming carriers for their products?
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    All I need in apps I my tablet is a browser, music player and video player. I think the hp touchpad has that. And since I won't have the money till summer or fall anyway I. Am fine waiting.
    Browser and media player, that's it? Every tablet on the market has that. Every crappy netbook has that. Why would you want a high-end tablet for that? The iPad is $399 right now. If you don't care about third-party apps, then the multi-tasking metaphor couldn't be all that important either. So, honest question, if that's all you want, why wait longer to pay more for something that basic?
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Frist of all, that is one of the most gimmicky things I've ever seen.
    Second of all, I WANT ONE!
    Well, talk the original design company into making one for the TouchPad then. Seems like Apple actually copied the base design from someone else.

Apple iPad 2 Smart Cover vs. InCase Convertible Magazine Jacket... Fight! -- Engadget
  7.    #607  
    What price should be the base price for the TouchPad (WiFi)?

The iPad 2 is smaller, lighter, and insanely fast. It has 65,000 apps specifically designed for it and can use 350,000 other apps. The iPad 2 has Voice Commands and can play movies for 10 hours on one charge and output them in 1080p using HDMI.

The TouchPad is bigger, heavier, and has relatively few apps. Instead of Voice Commands you Just Type. The TouchPad can't record HD and does not have HDMI out.

The iPad 2 is $499. The iPad is $399.

For the TouchPad to be a serious contender in the iPad world, what base price would it need?
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 03/06/2011 at 08:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    what price should be the base price for the touchpad (wifi)?

the ipad 2 is smaller, lighter, and insanely fast. It has 65,000 apps specifically designed for it and can use 350,000 other apps. The ipad 2 has voice commands and can play movies for 10 hours on one charge and output them in 1080p using hdmi.

The touchpad is bigger, heavier, and has relatively few apps. Instead of voice commands you can just type. (who thought of that name?) the touchpad can't record hd and does not have hdmi out.

The ipad 2 is $499. The ipad is $399 and a closer comparison.

For the touchpad to be a serious contender in the ipad world, what base price would it need?

350 -399
    Agreed. price of an iPad1.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    What price should be the base price for the TouchPad (WiFi)?

The iPad 2 is smaller, lighter, and insanely fast. It has 65,000 apps specifically designed for it and can use 350,000 other apps. The iPad 2 has Voice Commands and can play movies for 10 hours on one charge and output them in 1080p using HDMI.

The TouchPad is bigger, heavier, and has relatively few apps. Instead of Voice Commands you can Just Type. (Who thought of that name?) The TouchPad can't record HD and does not have HDMI out.

The iPad 2 is $499. The iPad is $399 and a closer comparison.

For the TouchPad to be a serious contender in the iPad world, what base price would it need?

The output is only 720p
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    The output for older devices (iPhone 4, iTouch 4g, iPad 1) would be 720p. The iPad 2 is supposed to output 1080p.
    I agree with $399, but not because of the iPad 1. I think they are only doing that for existing stock. Last I read, the channel was drying up fast. I don't think there will be a $399 iPad by summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    You make some great poitns with regards to WebOS vs iOS. However, that's looking at the stock operating system. If you gave me the TouchPad vs the iPad2 without anything more for either of them...I would definitely take the TouchPad. I think the iPad2 is likely a far better machine hardware and build wise, but the OS blows the standard iOS out of the water.

However, we don't live in a bubble.

You can't discount 65,000 app dedicated to be used on a tablet, not to mention all the ones made for the iPhone that can be ran on it. You can't discount the fact that iOS is far and away top dog in drawing developer attention for new apps. You can't ignore that the base version is going to cost $499 which is less than what HP is likely to do unless it can manage to buck the trend of the other non-apple tablet makers. You can't ignore that the iPad2 is going to be launching in 8 days where as the TouchPad could be launching in 3 to 5 months. Or that people looking to get a tablet and phone know what service to jump on/stay on while people are sitting here scratching our behinds wondering about the TouchPad. Or the gigantic ecosystem allowing for things like airplay.

I'd love for everything to be back to square zero, with iOS just starting out against WebOS. I'd love for us to live in a bubble. But we don't. And its getting harder and harder to justify the OS (Don't say "the software" because the huge app catalog is software) as the reason to discount all the other factors. This will be extremely true as well if Apple improves notifications after getting Palm's old notifications guy to come over, better cloud services, and additions to their multitasking....all things that have been hinted for iOS5.
    Yeah you make good points also. I understand that apps are really lacking on webOS, and that does bother me. But I can tell you that webOS is still superior. I owned a Pre, then a blackberry Bold, then an Evo, then an Epic, and now an iPhone. So I have considerable experience with all major operating systems in devices. Let me tell you right now that although the number of apps is great, I personally could not NOT find what I needed in the webOS catalogue. They have attracted the best apps, I think. I am not making excuses, because I know that for the majority of people (myself somewhat included) the amount of apps matters.

And I have to disagree with on you ecosystem. I think Apple's ecosystem is absolutely terrible. It works well, but it is sooooo limited. I mean, yeah I can airplay, but I can also do that with my PS3 and Android phone. Or even a remote media server at my home. It's really simple stuff. HP has a better ecosystem for webOS. An actual computing system that works flawlessly (i think, and hope) between devices. Even to the point of putting webOS on printers, tablets, toasters, phones, and music players. Not to mention the awesomeness that is synergy. I have an iPhone now and that ecosystem is lacking. Why do I have to make separate ID's for everything? And why is it that EVERYTHING must connect to my computer before I get a good use out of it? There are tons of flaws. I don't see Apple as an ecosystem of software and connections like it should be. I see it as an ecosystem of hardware only. Which is rather useless.

And yes, APple will always win the hardware quality battle. They are damn good at it. You make good points, and because this is all subjective, we just agree to disagree :-) I prefer a good OS with an intuitive user interface than sheer number of apps. That's what I have decided after owning so many devices with different operating systems.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    The output is only 720p
    Output is 1080p for iPad 2, 720p for all other devices.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Fast company's take on the competition:

Apple may sail serenely through this mess for many months more, as its competitors seem to struggle to compete with the iPad's design, customer appeal, and pricing. We thought the most revolutionary thing about iPad 1 was its low price, and it seems we were pretty much dead on.... it's just that almost everything else about the iPad seems to have been revolutionary too.
    This in particular about Touchpad:

After its acquisition of ailing smartphone-maker Palm, the expectations were high that HP--with its long history of delivering quality computing products--could manipulate Palm's expertise into some sort of wondrous tablet. It's since revealed plans for the TouchPad which, though it's yet to arrive, has indeed stirred a deal of excitement. It does have its flaws--it's essentially a clone of Apple's iPad 1, up-specced to slightly beat Apple's initial tablet offering, with just one camera and what's rumored to be poorer battery life.
    Deep Inside the Frustrating World of Second-Tier Tablets: Flaws, Fights, Fails | Fast Company
    Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    Yeah you make good points also. I understand that apps are really lacking on webOS, and that does bother me. But I can tell you that webOS is still superior. I owned a Pre, then a blackberry Bold, then an Evo, then an Epic, and now an iPhone. So I have considerable experience with all major operating systems in devices. Let me tell you right now that although the number of apps is great, I personally could not NOT find what I needed in the webOS catalogue. They have attracted the best apps, I think. I am not making excuses, because I know that for the majority of people (myself somewhat included) the amount of apps matters.
    WebOS has attracted the "best apps"? Come on, my friend. There are whole categories of apps that are missing from WebOS , not to mention individual apps. Where are the music recognition apps? Augmented reality? Camera apps? Custom music streaming services? (I don't mean Pandora or Slacker...I mean like Zune or Mog, where you can hear virtually anything that's out for flat monthly rate? Browsers? Native navigation? Netflix? PlayOn? Any official virtual keyboards? Social feed aggregators?

We're talking huge, gaping holes that people on other platforms use constantly.

And I have to disagree with on you ecosystem. I think Apple's ecosystem is absolutely terrible. It works well, but it is sooooo limited. I mean, yeah I can airplay, but I can also do that with my PS3 and Android phone. Or even a remote media server at my home. It's really simple stuff. HP has a better ecosystem for webOS. An actual computing system that works flawlessly (i think, and hope) between devices. Even to the point of putting webOS on printers, tablets, toasters, phones, and music players. Not to mention the awesomeness that is synergy. I have an iPhone now and that ecosystem is lacking. Why do I have to make separate ID's for everything? And why is it that EVERYTHING must connect to my computer before I get a good use out of it? There are tons of flaws. I don't see Apple as an ecosystem of software and connections like it should be. I see it as an ecosystem of hardware only. Which is rather useless.
    How does Apple have a hardware ecosystem, much less a lesser one? Theirs is software based. You setup an iTunes account. After that, you can buy almost anything with one click through one unified interface on your phone, on your desktop, or on your tablet. Apps...videos...music....magazines...comic books....whatever.

HP hasn't even defined a WebOS ecosystem beyond texts and webpages being transferable between devices. That is hardware-based.

I mean, by all means, favor WebOS if it works best for you. that's great. But your rationalizations for it make no sense, objectively-speaking.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Even with requirements these non-demanding, why would you get a TouchPad?

There are no tabbed browsers available (both Apple and Android have mature tabbed alternative browsers available in their official app stores), both media players are unproven and untouched, and alternatives to any of the above will be hard to come by.
    Because I want the ability to answer my phone and texts with my tablet. While that's not an application it is a feature of the touchpad. Sure, iOS 5.0 will probably get a similar feature. But there is no guarentee of those features and no promise ipad 2 will get iOS 5.0 when it first comes out. IPad 1 didn't get the latest iOS update till this year if I am not mistaken. But the features and apps I want are on touchpad.
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Because I want the ability to answer my phone and texts with my tablet. While that's not an application it is a feature of the touchpad. Sure, iOS 5.0 will probably get a similar feature. But there is no guarentee of those features and no promise ipad 2 will get iOS 5.0 when it first comes out. IPad 1 didn't get the latest iOS update till this year if I am not mistaken. But the features and apps I want are on touchpad.
    Heh, that's being overly optimistic. Should just be hopeful that iOS5 finally makes the notification system half way decent.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Browser and media player, that's it? Every tablet on the market has that. Every crappy netbook has that. Why would you want a high-end tablet for that? The iPad is $399 right now. If you don't care about third-party apps, then the multi-tasking metaphor couldn't be all that important either. So, honest question, if that's all you want, why wait longer to pay more for something that basic?
    I never said that's all I want. I said all I want in APPS are the apps mentioned. I also want the features I mentioned in previous post. THE POST I replied to was talking about apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Heh, that's being overly optimistic. Should just be hopeful that iOS5 finally makes the notification system half way decent.
    That's true. The notification system is annoying. I am optimistic iOS 5.0 will get it fixed but we'll see...