View Poll Results: Who Will Be Getting The iPad 2?

Voters
268. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

53 19.78%
  • No

78 29.10%
  • Hold Out for HP TouchPad

137 51.12%
Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ... 20252627282930313233343540 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Apple understands desire. The first thing consumers will notice about the iPad 2 is how it feels: Lighter (by a crucial 2 ounces) and thinner (at 8.8mm, thinner than an iPhone 4). Color triggers emotion: iPad 2 comes in not just black but white, with multiple colors in the thin "smart covers" that snap into place with "auto-aligning magnets" and clean those unsightly fingerprints off your screen. The rest is important but more cerebral. Dual-core processor, HDMI video-out converter for the 30-pin connector, etc. Emotion enters back into the equation when consumers see what they can do with the device--see their loved ones through FaceTime, touch-edit videos in iMovie, improvise on touch-instruments in GarageBand and actually sound good doing it.

Content. Apple's unrivaled app ecosystem adds value to its product. With 65,000 apps, the iPad has the edge in custom-built content. For consumers shopping for tablets, the number of apps isn’t as important as the price of the device, battery life, and 3G service flexibility, but it does matter: 23% of consumers considering buying a tablet rank “number of available apps” in their top-three important features, according to a Forrester survey fielded in January 2011.

The competing products we’ve seen announced so far from Motorola, RIM, HP, and others, while impressive, have fatally flawed price and distribution strategies, which leads us to our call that of the 24.1 million tablets that will sell to US consumers in 2011, at least 20 million will be iPads.

BUT, the tablet wars are far from over. We have yet to see a play from potential disruptors like Amazon, who could enter the tablet market at a lower price point, or Sony and Microsoft, who could offer radically differentiated value propositions. Things could get rowdy. But for now, Apple still defines the tablet market, with a product consumers will desire at a price that’s hard to beat.
    http://blogs.forrester.com/sarah_rot..._share_in_2011
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I see Robert Scoble has weighted in on this issue:

We now know what the choice is:

1. Apple iPad 2. Has apps.
    2. Motorola Xoom. Has no apps.
    3. HP TouchPad. Has no apps.
    4. RIM PlayBook. Has no apps.

No apps, no sale.

It really is that simple.

OK, OK, I know some of you think hardware matters. It doesn’t.

The screen resolution? It doesn’t matter if you don’t have any apps. Yeah, Motorola has 20% more resolution. Pull up a web browser. Does it matter? Not really. I can’t see the difference other than the screen is a little wider form factor than the iPad’s. That’s nice, but will it sell units? No. Apps matter more.

The sound capabilities? Those don’t matter if you don’t have any apps.

What about HP’s TouchPad? I like it a lot. It’s nicer designed than the Motorola Xoom. It should be, it was designed by a few people who used to work for Steve Jobs at Apple. If the HP were out nine months ago it would have been a great device to buy and compare to the iPad. Their OS and multitasking metaphor really is awesome, albeit might be a bit slower here and there (we’ll see when we actually get one). A few major problems: 1. It isn’t shipping. Probably won’t be until June. 2. It has no apps. No apps no sale.
    No Apps, No Sale: iPad 2 Vs. Motorola Xoom Vs. RIM Playbook Vs. HP TouchPad
    On March 11, you can pick up an iPad2 at the following locations:
    Verizon
    AT&T
    Walmart
    BestBuy
    Sam's Club

iPad2 Will Be Available At Bestbuy Walmart and Sam's Club on March 11

edit: Oh, also at the Apple stores
    Last edited by slbailey1; 03/03/2011 at 07:22 AM.
    Whoever want to be an early adapter again with a webos product than good luck.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    I think most people are forgetting the touchpad's greatest strength: webOS. This isn't about the hardware. Why would you buy hardware without a good software to run it? WebOS is an actual tablet platform, not just a giant iPod. WebOS, in my opinion, can actually do tablet computing.
    You make some great poitns with regards to WebOS vs iOS. However, that's looking at the stock operating system. If you gave me the TouchPad vs the iPad2 without anything more for either of them...I would definitely take the TouchPad. I think the iPad2 is likely a far better machine hardware and build wise, but the OS blows the standard iOS out of the water.

However, we don't live in a bubble.

You can't discount 65,000 app dedicated to be used on a tablet, not to mention all the ones made for the iPhone that can be ran on it. You can't discount the fact that iOS is far and away top dog in drawing developer attention for new apps. You can't ignore that the base version is going to cost $499 which is less than what HP is likely to do unless it can manage to buck the trend of the other non-apple tablet makers. You can't ignore that the iPad2 is going to be launching in 8 days where as the TouchPad could be launching in 3 to 5 months. Or that people looking to get a tablet and phone know what service to jump on/stay on while people are sitting here scratching our behinds wondering about the TouchPad. Or the gigantic ecosystem allowing for things like airplay.

I'd love for everything to be back to square zero, with iOS just starting out against WebOS. I'd love for us to live in a bubble. But we don't. And its getting harder and harder to justify the OS (Don't say "the software" because the huge app catalog is software) as the reason to discount all the other factors. This will be extremely true as well if Apple improves notifications after getting Palm's old notifications guy to come over, better cloud services, and additions to their multitasking....all things that have been hinted for iOS5.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I think the TouchPad could have been very competitive against the iPad2 had they actually followed through with what Leo had stated and announced a date within a few weeks after the announcement.

If the Veer, Pre3, and TouchPad were all available by end of February I think HP would've had a great shot at grabbing #2 in the tablet space. I think the TouchPad would've outpaced the Xoom and likely chipped away mildly at the iPad's dominance of the market (It'd still dominate this year). The ability to purchase it when the tablet craze was starting up would be good, and having the phones to pair up for it so people could switch to WebOS completely at one time would have helped. The OS is wonderful, the POTENTIAL for ecosystem is there, and the hardware is on par with the competition.

By failing to actually do that though I think they've relegated the TouchPad into "Pre" type of scenarios....IE, they've relegated it to become a niche product used by an extremely small percentage of the market. How Palm/HP managed to do the exact same mistake they did with the Pre...announcing something, getting people excited, and then not shipping it for 5 or 6 months....is mindboggling.

By the time HP launches the TouchPad there will likely be multiple competitors already on the market. Xoom, OptimusPad, G-Slate, Galaxy II, MeMo, etc with honeycomb. You're going to have the Playbook out that will APPEAR to an uninformed public to be very similar to the TouchPad. You'll have the iPad2 out along with the less expensive iPad's.

Its not like the potential market is going to largely sit on their hands until June waiting to see the last Tablet make it to market to make their decision. People already are starting to buy Xooms. They will start buying iPad2's and low priced iPad's. Every single solitary buyer that purchases a tablet from now until the TouchPad's release is a potential customer that HP screwed themselves with by making their ridiculous launch choice. It doesn't matter if the thing had twice the specs of every other Tablet (rather than coming out with specs that match tablets that came out 4 months before it) it still would have a large problem coming in near dead to last in a saturated market.

The absolute best thing Apple did in this, the biggest selling points for the iPad2, are really simple....

March 11th Release date
    $499

I don't care how great the TouchPad may be, those two things compared to "this summer" and an unknown price is what's going to relegate the TouchPad into Pre-esque "niche" success.
    You guys all get to crazy about this stuff. I see it like this.
    Everyone who runs out to all the apple launch dates like nuts will no doubt be running out to the ipad 2 launch no matter what. It wouldnt help hp if the touchpad came out the same day they announced it. The people in this forum obviously wanted the touchpad right away cause they are crazy about this stuff. The average customer that is the majority doesnt even know the touchpad or pre 3 exist or were announced. The products were announced for us so we know there is something coming and stop complaining. For the normal majority of customers the release date is the announcement or they just walk into a store and see it.

For example I wasnt into this stuff last year and didnt see an ipad until I walked into the store.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    For the normal majority of customers the release date is the announcement or they just walk into a store and see it.

For example I wasnt into this stuff last year and didnt see an ipad until I walked into the store.
    Very true Bigwood.

However, for 3 to 5 months time the people walking into stores are going to see Xooms, Playbooks, iPad2's and iPad1's. And they're going to buy one of htose if they're looking for a tablet. They're not going to buy the TouchPad because they either don't know it exists, or they're not waiting for it.

Apple has 90% of the tablet market. The fact is if a company is going to be successful its going to have to appeal to people who did or would buy an Apple. Yes, you're not going to win the Apple die-hards that buy it because it has the logo on it. But that's not what I or others are talking about. The average consumer is becoming more tablet aware, and are doing as you said...walking into stores and seeing them. And for 3 to 5 months they're going to be seeing a lot of ones that AREN'T HP's and they're going to be buying them. Which shrinks HP's potential market little by little with every purchase.
    I see it very simple:

HP = NO RELEASE DATE / NO APPS / NO PRICE / NO CARRIER = FAIL / SMALLER MARKET SHARE LESS THAN 3%
    RIM = NO APPS / RELEASE DATE IN APRIL = SLOW / PRICE HIGH = FAIL
    MOTOROLA = NO APPS / RELEASE DATE APRIL = FAIL / PRICE HIGH = FAIL
    LG = NO APPS / RELEASE DATE APRIL / PRICE HIGH = FAIL
    APPLE = 65K APPS / RELEASE DATE 2 WEEKS / PRICE CHEAP = MORE MARKET SHARE MORE REVENUE = VERY LITTLE ROOM FOR THE OTHER COMPANIES.

People dont want to wait, only huge fans of a certain brand will defend and wait for there product. Summer time is not going to cut, when you announce a product it should be released 2 weeks, CEO of HP should learn from Steve Jobs less talking and more doing. Steve Jobs did not go on interviews and say iPad2 coming in 2 weeks from announcement day, no he just announced and released, CEO of HP did the opposite and that is why the 2 companies are headed in opposite directions. Apple is all over the place and people know it as a good brand and they trust it and they have no reason to get another company. Android, RIM, Microsoft and HP all failed where Apple succeeded, and they still keep failing, and it is very simple why, cause non of them have Steve Jobs at the helm. Everything at Apple is hush hush, and when Apple says something they back it up, they didnt announce the iPhone 5 and say coming in June, no they will announce that in June and say June 21 iPhone 5 be available. I think HP does not really care about webOS as much as Palm did cause HP is so big that they can forget us the little people, the people who are waiting for the Pre 3, Veer and TouchPad. HP is all over the world with other products, they simply dont have time and not enough resources put in to webOS they spent so much money on Palm and not doing much with it. Yeh they made demonstration but that was it. The DEMO WAS A DUD and so will be the HP products D.O.A.

You go up to average consumer and ask did they here of Android, RIM , Microsoft, Apple they will say yes, but if you ask them about Palm and webOS and they will look at you like you fell of the moon. This should show HP that they are not getting the words out loud enough and not visible to the regular consumer. And if the regular consumer does not know you they wont buy your product no matter how good the hardware is and how great the webOS.
    Serious, THIS resume the situation:

If the Veer, Pre3, and TouchPad were all available by end of February I think HP would've had a great shot at grabbing #2 in the tablet space.
    Where is the button "I Agree"???

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    HP is all over the world with other products, they simply dont have time and not enough resources put in to webOS they spent so much money on Palm and not doing much with it.
    "Resources" they have... what is missing is "agility"...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    You guys all get to crazy about this stuff. I see it like this.
    Everyone who runs out to all the apple launch dates like nuts will no doubt be running out to the ipad 2 launch no matter what. It wouldnt help hp if the touchpad came out the same day they announced it. The people in this forum obviously wanted the touchpad right away cause they are crazy about this stuff. The average customer that is the majority doesnt even know the touchpad or pre 3 exist or were announced. The products were announced for us so we know there is something coming and stop complaining. For the normal majority of customers the release date is the announcement or they just walk into a store and see it.

Timing does matter here. The tablet market is a reboot of the smartphone market. And just like there, once major players are established and the leading contenders get developers onboard, it's difficult for upstarts who come even as soon as just a few months later to compete.

Android hit the market just 8 months prior to WebOS, didn't catch critical mass until maybe a month or so beforehand, yet now currently has more than 40x the apps WebOS does.

Right now, there isn't a major second player in the tablet-optimized market. Eventually, there will be. Android has its SDK publicly available now and has product out now for developers to sell it on. RIM's Playbook has its SDK publicly available now and will have product out within 30 days for developers to sell it on. WebOS has Enyo SDK available but product will be available....?
    Guys check this out,

Exclusive: BlackBerry Messenger will launch on Android and iOS | BGR

Blackberry Messenger will be released on Android and iOS, no word about webOS, it just goes to show HP that no one is taking webOS seriously. There are not a lot of companies making apps for webOS except for the peopl here " HomeBrew " not enough. Even RIM wont be making its famous app for webOS, it does not say a lot for HP and webOS. This is a shame it really is. I emailed few different companies asking if they will be making apps for webOS and all across the board got same answer no we are not and will not be making any apps in the future for webOS. NO release date, no carrier and no apps = D.O.A for HP. My wife already said she wants the iPad2 I said what about the HP TouchPAd she said when is it coming out? I said summer she said forget about it, if it came out now we get summer no want to wait. And this is how most consumers are, DONT WANT TO WAIT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Very true Bigwood.

However, for 3 to 5 months time the people walking into stores are going to see Xooms, Playbooks, iPad2's and iPad1's. And they're going to buy one of htose if they're looking for a tablet. They're not going to buy the TouchPad because they either don't know it exists, or they're not waiting for it.

Apple has 90% of the tablet market. The fact is if a company is going to be successful its going to have to appeal to people who did or would buy an Apple. Yes, you're not going to win the Apple die-hards that buy it because it has the logo on it. But that's not what I or others are talking about. The average consumer is becoming more tablet aware, and are doing as you said...walking into stores and seeing them. And for 3 to 5 months they're going to be seeing a lot of ones that AREN'T HP's and they're going to be buying them. Which shrinks HP's potential market little by little with every purchase.
    Your right but I dont think 3 months will make or break the hp sales. The sooner anything is on the shelf helps but I dont think this will hurt hp sales much. I dont think hp sales would be that great anyway lol. Its a new device that will take time to get some ground. It actually may even hurt hp netbook sales. The new hp minis just came out maybe hp is making a good move with a later release.
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joek71 View Post
    Guys check this out,

Exclusive: BlackBerry Messenger will launch on Android and iOS | BGR

Blackberry Messenger will be released on Android and iOS, no word about webOS, it just goes to show HP that no one is taking webOS seriously. There are not a lot of companies making apps for webOS except for the peopl here " HomeBrew " not enough. Even RIM wont be making its famous app for webOS, it does not say a lot for HP and webOS. This is a shame it really is. I emailed few different companies asking if they will be making apps for webOS and all across the board got same answer no we are not and will not be making any apps in the future for webOS. NO release date, no carrier and no apps = D.O.A for HP. My wife already said she wants the iPad2 I said what about the HP TouchPAd she said when is it coming out? I said summer she said forget about it, if it came out now we get summer no want to wait. And this is how most consumers are, DONT WANT TO WAIT.
    If this is true, I'm really surprised, I've just doing a piece of research work looking at the adoption of Blackberries by teenagers - BBM is *the* killer app for these users - if they can get it on other platforms then a lot of them have no reason to get a blackberry.
    The only advantage to RIM I can see is that it would allow the PB to be fully useful with any phone that has BBM. It shows they are serious about the PB. I don't think HP could do anything like this for TTS even if they wanted to.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Apple will probably sell 15 million iPad 2s before the TouchPad even ships a single unit. I'm not sure where everyone is expecting all this webOS tablet software to be coming from. Developers have more important things to do with their time and effort than creating apps for a device that hasn't sold a single unit and ultimately may not have a short-term future. A few things may come from HP but HP isn't even a software company.

What reason is there to wait for a TouchPad? Do enterprise customers really buy tablets because they have an account at HP? That's all it takes, huh?
    All I need in apps I my tablet is a browser, music player and video player. I think the hp touchpad has that. And since I won't have the money till summer or fall anyway I. Am fine waiting.
  18.    #598  
    Again, please keep all posts about the iPad 2 in this thread.

The opening post has been expanded to include the original iPad as it will continue to be sold but the price has been reduced by $100. Also the Galaxy Tab 10 is now included:

HP TouchPad vs. iPad 2, Xoom, PlayBook, Galaxy Tab

A link has also been added to the new front page comparison article:

PreCentral.net: TouchPad vs iPad 2
    Does/will the Galaxy Tab 10 offer a wifi-only version?
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    All I need in apps I my tablet is a browser, music player and video player. I think the hp touchpad has that. And since I won't have the money till summer or fall anyway I. Am fine waiting.
    Even with requirements these non-demanding, why would you get a TouchPad?

There are no tabbed browsers available (both Apple and Android have mature tabbed alternative browsers available in their official app stores), both media players are unproven and untouched, and alternatives to any of the above will be hard to come by.