View Poll Results: Who Will Be Getting The iPad 2?

Voters
268. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

53 19.78%
  • No

78 29.10%
  • Hold Out for HP TouchPad

137 51.12%
Page 29 of 43 FirstFirst ... 192425262728293031323334 39 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
    I think most people are forgetting the touchpad's greatest strength: webOS. This isn't about the hardware. Why would you buy hardware without a good software to run it? WebOS is an actual tablet platform, not just a giant iPod. WebOS, in my opinion, can actually do tablet computing. I mean, look at iOS primitive features:

- INcredibly annoying pop-up notifications
    - You actually have to exit an application in order to change the settings for it (????? really?????)
    - The home screen is virtually USELESS. Just a bunch of icons that don't even look good! Seriously, it looks very ugly.
    - No cloud support at all throughout iOS
    - Email client is horrible. It looks nice, but it doesn't play nice. The way it retrieves mail is slow and painful and it usually doesn't amount to much. I have an iPhone now and I do enjoy it (but man do I miss webOS. Can't wait to go back) but the email I can never retrieve in a solid fashion. Not to mention the email search sucks.
    - Everything seems to take one more step than I want it to. It's annoying. They need an overhaul.
    - The browser always has that stupid checkerboard effect. Can't stand it.
    - Still no true multitasking. Although Apple's multitasking is very good. I like it. It's still little match for webOS.
    - Also on multitasking, the way Apple handles app management is horrible. The idea of cards is the best. Even android 3.0 seems to get it. Sorry Apple, an icon just won't do it for me. (Look at the absolute genius of stacks)

I could go on for a while longer but I will stop there. I liked the iPad 2, yes. And I am disappointed that HP will take so long to come to market and also disappointed that it will probably get worse battery life than the iPad and probably not perform as fast. However, in those 5-6 hours of battery life, I can get more done on webOS than I can with 10 hours on an iPad.

What does iOS have solid that any other system does not? Stability. iOS is stable as it gets. I never have issues with it at all whatsoever. If HP can get this right with webOS, I am going to be one really happy camper.

Edit:

Oh, and I forgot that Apple also makes the absolute BEST touch screens out there. I think this has a lot to do with the processor, however. Galaxy S devices have an excellent touch screen and so do SOME motorola devices on android. However, ALL HTC DEVICES have a horrible touch screen. Not very responsive at all. They plan suck. The one thing in common about HTC is Qualcomm processor.
    I don't want to turn this into a nerd thing because focusing on the specs means we're missing the point...but when people call the iPad 2 a spec bump, I have to wonder what kind of computing products they're used to buying. The iPad 2's hardware offers a 3x real world CPU increase in performance and a 4-5x real world GPU increase.

The SGX543 GPU is unbelievably fast. I've seen benchmarks that indicate each core is up to 50% faster than the Tegra 2's GPU in real world performance.

Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    I think most people are forgetting the touchpad's greatest strength: webOS. This isn't about the hardware. Why would you buy hardware without a good software to run it
    webOS is also the TouchPad's biggest liability - especially when you consider developer support and performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    It doesn't need to blow other tablets away in specs. It already blows them away in software, stability, ecosystem, price, availability and apps. Simply being on par with specs means that competitors now have virtually NO discernible advantages before most of them can even start advertising, much less hit the market.
    Actually, I was talking about generally. The iPad 2 does not blow the competition away, then I picked one area -- "tech wise" -- and started off there.

So a feature that is dependent on someone buying another $199 piece of equipment and signing another service plan - for a device that they may or may not want and may or may not be out on their carrier of choice if they do - is a "killer feature"?

There is limited touch-to-share already on Android and iOS already with Bump. NFC will only increase this in the next 6-12 months.
    Don't start talking about an ecosystem that Apple has and then bash HP trying to create one. When Apple forces you to buy into MobileMe to take advantage of those features -- which is a yearly subscription and not free. And when iPad 2 has a feature to stream video to your TV using your Apple TV -- and ppl on this forum stating they love this feature -- which requires you to buy another device. Please, be fair as I have been fair, and continue to be fair.

And by the way, it's not only me who want these features. I was surprised when I went to MacRumors.com and AppleInsider.com and saw how post after post they wanted Apple to adapt these features. And I am not even kidding. Nor am I making it up.

And I feel obliged to list more features that make the TouchPad better for me. Wireless charging stand mixed with Exhibition. The possibility here are endless. Flash. How it handle's flash (the fact you can choose to ignore it is a plus). Although not an exclusive to TouchPad -- Skype Video calling -- is a great feature and all tablets should have it (so they can talk together). Beats Audio. I am a guy who loves music. My best friend and I became friends simply because of the music we shared together. Having a tablet with Beats Audio means not only better music, but also better games and movies. This may not be a big edge -- I'll have to wait till I can HEAR BOTH devices, but it's at least worth a mention. The ability to change the keyboard size. Thats a HUGE feature as my biggest complaint using the virtual keyboard is it takes room from my screen and I like my room. These are features that make the TouchPad great.

Feeatures that make the iPad 2 great, that the TouchPad lacks, are ...

.... smart case. I love that case design. It's amazing. March 11th is a pretty damn good feature. Excuse my french. But being here before the others is a feat that only Apple could accomplish. The second camera paired with iMovie. Absolutely love this feature. Garage Band. Thats a cool feature, hopefully it's more useful then the desktop version (I never found a use for it, sure others have). HDMI. It's overall design. It's really a polished device.

In the end, do I think the TouchPad blows away the iPad 2? No, of course not. They are both GREAT and WORTHY devices -- and a heck of a lot better then what I have seen from Google so far. Google will have to Xoom away to catch up with HP and Apple, and even with the product named Xoom Google still doesn't come to the close.

So there you have it. Thats really my lists. I still am choosing the TouchPad, you obviously think the TouchPad is inferior (by the way, I really don't think you think that -- but by reading your reply, it DOES SOUND that way).

And I don't think -- as Apple alluded to -- that HP merely copied Apple on the tablet. They went to the drawling board and added some nice functionality and of course some features over lap. That always happened. But HP did bring new ideas and new features worth mentioning, and has done a great job in a small time creating a wonderful device. With that said, Apple did a great job going back to the drawling board -- which is what they needed to do. I still was expecting Apple to reveal iOS 5.0 with iPad 2 -- and I hope that when iOS 5.0 comes it brings new features and functionality to the iPad 2. Because Apple really needs to fix their notifications. Why has it taken then five generations to do something so simple is beyond me though.
    Last edited by astraith; 03/02/2011 at 11:28 PM.
    I actually think MobileMe is going free in the coming weeks.
    Response to someone above(you have to be quick aorund here to reply, lol):

You don't have to exit iOS apps to change the settings!! The home screen can be rearranged in iTunes and icons grouped into folders. Nagging pop ups are what I as a procrastinator need, lol. The one thing that would be good though is a home screen option that shows your appointments, tasks and weather.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I read cloud sync in another rumor. We shall see.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    You're jailbroken, aren't you, Diva? You could install something like Intelliscreen to give your lockscreen that functionality.

I do agree that iOS needs a visual overhaul, though. I'm guessing we'll hear more about it when Apple hosts their iOS 5 preview event.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    That would be the smartest move Apple can make. It's completely and utterly nonsense they charge for that. OK, maybe thats not completely fair. But it doesn't make much sense when everyone else does this free and you charge for it.
  9.    #569  
    Just repeating this message:
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    There were many iPad 2 threads started today in a number of forums.

The Cross-Platform Chat is the place to compare different platforms.

In kindness to the majority who come here for HP Palm news and discussion, please post iPad comparison in this one thread.

Also remember that our sister site would love to hear from anyone buying an iPad:

TiPb: The #1 iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch blog
    To think that some actually believe that Apple somehow moved its event up because it was afraid of HP's TouchPad. If this is how well Apple does due to fear, then wow, I can't imagine the products they are "patiently" working on.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    You left something out.... The ipad 2 is coming out in a the 11th of THIS month and the touchpad is coming out in "summer". The ipad has carrier support from the two largest American carriers and standalone wifi and the touchpad has nothing. I think that is why people are throwing in the white flag.
    Yes you are correct. the iPad2 will be released on the 11th and the touchpad will be released in the "summer". So what? I actually think this is good for HP. Can you imagine if they released the touchpad late last month only to have their thunder stolen again by Apple a couple weeks later like in June 2009. Summer will actually be a good time since because it is a highly anticipated product by the tech world so press won't be an issue.The xoom and playbook which are the other most highly anticipated tablets will have been out months. It will get its own day in the sun because the press will actually care because its not yet another android tablet.

Do you really think the touchpad will have no carrier support? I can't see that happening not with a company the size of HP. I have no worries about that. Its up to them though whether they will be able to create and market a product that the public will want. Thats the question around here so instead we get fascinated by release dates and carrier support of other products. Brilliant.
    You're missing the fact that many people will already have decided on which tablet to buy and there are 4 others ahead of TouchPad.

Ryan Block posted some SunSpider benchmarks and, uh, this thing is very fast: What do you want to know about the iPad 2? I'm about to go... - gdgt

Anyone here have a Pre 2 they can run SunSpider on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    Yes you are correct. the iPad2 will be released on the 11th and the touchpad will be released in the "summer". So what? I actually think this is good for HP. Can you imagine if they released the touchpad late last month only to have their thunder stolen again by Apple a couple weeks later like in June 2009. Summer will actually be a good time since because it is a highly anticipated product by the tech world so press won't be an issue.The xoom and playbook which are the other most highly anticipated tablets will have been out months. It will get its own day in the sun because the press will actually care because its not yet another android tablet.
    Two things I see wrong with this.
    • Palm did not lose it's thunder to Apple in 2009. In the US, the Pre came out on one carrier for 6 months and the iPhone was on another (where it had always been). Despite being what many of us believed was the best Sprint had to offer at the time, the thing still flopped. Six months later it expanded to other US carriers and still flopped. The iPhone didn't do anything to the Pre. Palm wrecked it all on their own.
    • How is releasing a product this summer a good thing for HP? Not only will they have to dig webOS out of the hole it is in now, they will have to do it while millions more people are telling their friends to get an iPad 2. When you are at the bottom of the pile, letting things pile up even more does not seem like a great idea to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    You're missing the fact that many people will already have decided on which tablet to buy and there are 4 others ahead of TouchPad.
    And a much greater number of people won't buy any of those devices when they're launched and IF they decide to buy, will defer their choice until 'back to school' time, Christmas shopping season, fiscal year end, etc.
    I still don't think it's good for HP to sell it's product toward the end of the year when everyone else is selling now or soon. The other devices will have a track record by then and in people's minds. The TouchPad will get early adopters, but what about consumers who've heard nothing but iPad or Xoom all year? They will really have to knock it out the ballpark and have no glitches like Xoom(also Galaxy Tab) did. Price it right, have solid hardware and have no carrier hangups; and get some apps people want to use.

iOS 5 and the TouchPad will probably launch right around the same time. Sometime this summer. There goes HP's thunder, again.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    You could stop right there. This - in my opinion - is the killer app, and I say that not just because I am also a musician and composer.

This kind of quality and value for $5 frickin dollars is just insane. On any platform, much less a mobile one.
    I'm with you....I'm a semi-pro musician in my spare time, having collected a nice home recording studio over the years with lots of high end gear. No, it is not going to replace my PT HD rig or my Nuendo rig, but when I'm the road and I'm on the road a lot, or in my office where I keep one of my guitars on the wall, I could actually see myself using this....MorphWiz almost made me get an IPAD. Add Garageband, Saitara's AC-7, OSC, AmpKIT to the IPAD 2 and I hink I will cringe when I say this, but it is starting to look like I might get an IPAD 2.... there it is...I said it.....and this coming from someone who TRULY DISLIKEs APPLE.....I even moved my PT RIG from a MAC to a PC and it works BETTER.

Sad that I dont think the TouchPad will ever get these kinds of apps....I will still get a TouchPad....but the IPAD 2 will be my "fun" music tablet...
    I think one thing HP can do is to accept pre-orders on TouchPad NOW with a significant discount, this way it should be able to hold on to its customer base and generate more publicity. I would be willing to put down $450 on a pre-order now.
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    How can you ask people to put down a pre-order when you have no release date?

"Pay now, get something sometime!"