View Poll Results: Who Will Be Getting The iPad 2?

Voters
268. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

53 19.78%
  • No

78 29.10%
  • Hold Out for HP TouchPad

137 51.12%
Page 28 of 43 FirstFirst ... 18232425262728293031323338 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
    Global Posts
    715 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    For the last time please. I mean TRUE multitasking. The word MULTI means that MULTIple apps run at the same time (MULTIple apps). For instance, on a PC you do something in an application and while it is working you, lets say, browse the PreCentral forums. iOS cann't let the iMovie app finalize a movie if you are looking at your email or looking at some spare shots you took.
    I don't understand why people just don't get it iOS doesn't have true multitasking.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    3. Smart Cover. Shall we have a battle of accessories? I'll take the Smart Cover over Touch Stone any day in a 30s ad sell-off. It is wicked cool, demos well, utilitarian, expressive, and already has a 30s demo ad.
    Frist of all, that is one of the most gimmicky things I've ever seen.
    Second of all, I WANT ONE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bigs View Post
    I don't understand why people just don't get it iOS doesn't have true multitasking.
    Probably for the same reason people don't understand that it doesn't matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Probably for the same reason people don't understand that it doesn't matter.
    Like Ive said before, If it was really THAT important....the pre would have sold better on verizon and ATT. Apparently ALL the hardware issues were fixed.....oh wait, people wanted other things!!!

Its not palms fault that people didnt want their product...complete with multitasking? Um that was their selling feature.

Back on topic. Touchpad is a pretty cool device....but aside from bluetooth pairing with the phone and lack of apps (AND NO GESTURE BAR)....what else does it bring to the table?

Someone humor me....what?
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    I doubt Apple will cannibalize their own sales. They have NEVER released updates at less than a year. I am sure they will keep on their yearly update cycle as it makes NO financial sense for them to announce a product mid-year. It is not like iPad 2 will not sell it is already better than Xoom based on price alone.
    Unless it is a different size iPad! I've been thinking about this for most of the day and I believe that the iPad3 will be a smaller size iPad with 4g.

Think about this; every 6 months Apple will release an iPad, in the Spring the large iPad and in the Fall the small iPad.

Maybe Apple's research had found that there is a large group of people that has not purchased an iPad because of the size and they will be going after them in the Fall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bigs View Post
    Are you talking about heavier apps made for the iPad? If you're talking about those, I never used them. But from what I've seen, iOS 4 has enough multitasking for most usage on a portable device. It's true that older versions annoyed me because of only being able to do one thing at a time, but iOS 4 has great improvements. Some app developers still refuse to take advantage of the fact that backgrounding is now allowed officially, I'm not sure what's up with them. But I haven't had too much of a problem getting other apps to work in the background.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    This is my first post since the announcement. After reading up on the iPad two, I am left to conclude that this will sell triple what the first iPad did. Never mind specs. There are three features that stand out as made for commercials:

1. GarageBand I am a musician with "real" instruments and a studio. I am also a composer in my spare time. GarageBand for the iPad is what I have created in my fantasies as the perfect tool for musicians on the go. It has the potential to be both fun and useful. The demo of GarageBand in Apple Stores will ensure long lines at the register..
    You could stop right there. This - in my opinion - is the killer app, and I say that not just because I am also a musician and composer.

This kind of quality and value for $5 frickin dollars is just insane. On any platform, much less a mobile one.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    10 hours of battery life, way better than Touch Pad
    We don't know that yet.

Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Not even a subtle shot. They called this the year of the copycapt and showed the logo of every competitor in the same slide...including HP.

What can HP do to answer them? Touch-to-share?
    The iPad 2 just makes the iPad a better product -- more competitive. But it does not blow away the TouchPad or Playbook. In fact, tech spec wise, the TouchPad is more powerful then then iPad (although we will see which product is more powerful when we can use them both side by side).

Features that the others lack, currently, when compared to the TouchPad and this includes the iPad 2. The TouchPad has, like you mention, Tap-to-Share. It also forwards your texts and calls from Pre 3 to TouchPad. Those features aren't just features I want -- but also what Apple fans want for the iPad 2 (and still might get with iOS 5.0). So those are killer features that the others just don't provide.

A killer feature -- or app at least -- for me that the iPad 2 has and the TouchPad does not is the iMovie app. I have been wanting a video editing/phot editing software on a tablet for a while. For now, Apple has a killer feature there. I just hope they have 1GB of ram under the hood because editing videos you'll need it.

But I will end up buying the TouchPad and hopefully the Pre 3 for Sprint. We'll see though.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    You could stop right there. This - in my opinion - is the killer app, and I say that not just because I am also a musician and composer.

This kind of quality and value for $5 frickin dollars is just insane. On any platform, much less a mobile one.
    Have you had a chance to watch the demo? I'm curious about your take on Garage Band.
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    The iPad 2 just makes the iPad a better product -- more competitive. But it does not blow away the TouchPad or Playbook. In fact, tech spec wise, the TouchPad is more powerful then then iPad (although we will see which product is more powerful when we can use them both side by side).
    It doesn't need to blow other tablets away in specs. It already blows them away in software, stability, ecosystem, price, availability and apps. Simply being on par with specs means that competitors now have virtually NO discernible advantages before most of them can even start advertising, much less hit the market.

Features that the others lack, currently, when compared to the TouchPad and this includes the iPad 2. The TouchPad has, like you mention, Tap-to-Share. It also forwards your texts and calls from Pre 3 to TouchPad. Those features aren't just features I want -- but also what Apple fans want for the iPad 2 (and still might get with iOS 5.0). So those are killer features that the others just don't provide.
    So a feature that is dependent on someone buying another $199 piece of equipment and signing another service plan - for a device that they may or may not want and may or may not be out on their carrier of choice if they do - is a "killer feature"?

There is limited touch-to-share already on Android and iOS already with Bump. NFC will only increase this in the next 6-12 months.
    I'm back from watching the keynote and, WOW!

Now about HP. I think HP can salvage a moderate to big win from this year by doing nothing but shifting their focus from Apple to RIM. Compete with the iPad, and the TP is roadkill. HP could, however position their offering as the Playbook killer.

RIM is weak and vulnerable right now. So is HP, but slightly less so. They could compare, favorably, to other tablet entrants this year. They can position RIM as the copycat, and themselves as the original. This is reversed when they go up against Apple. They perfected what RIM has just discovered, all in a larger screened package for people who have "real" work to do.

The TP will appeal to the same demographic as the Playbook. I don't think beating RIM is too tough of a challenge. Versus RIM, the WebOS App Catalogue doesn't look so bad. In fact, all of the liabilities HP has going directly against Apple are almost eliminated compared to RIM.

It may not be much of a victory in the grand scheme of things, but it will give them a favorable product comparison that they can win, as opposed to being hopelessly outmatched. Beat RIM, or some other competitor, and you end up with a victory that you can build on. Get crushed by Apple, and WebOS goes back on the auction block with no developer support. It is a strategy worth considering.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I'm just going to get the iPad 2. There's 65,000 apps for it. I think the app catalog only has around 5,000. I would much rather have the touchpad with 65,000 apps. But it doesn't right now and it probabbly won't for a very long time.
    Never owned an apple product. March 11th I think thats going to change. Bravo Cupertino, bravo!

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    I've read through this thread and I'm amazed at all the white surrender flags coming up and announcements that HP failed. All Apple did was release a dual core, thinner ipad with a front and rear camera and people around hear are saying HP is already behind. Wow. Of course it will rock because Apple knows what they are doing but its not mind blowing by any means even in comparison to the specs of the touchpad. Oh I forgot they also announced a nifty smart cover for an extra $39 or $69 depending on which material you want. If you want to export via hdmi, that will cost you another $39 for the adapter although its cool that it will work for the iphone too. That weird Veer adapter isn't looking as bad right now and at least HP isn't making you pay extra for it.
    The main reason, no TouchPad in sight for actual release. Unless I wake up tomorrow and something's different.

Anyway, I'm getting a more solid case and the adapter may or may not be a necessary evil, depending on what I end doing with video.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    I've read through this thread and I'm amazed at all the white surrender flags coming up and announcements that HP failed. All Apple did was release a dual core, thinner ipad with a front and rear camera and people around hear are saying HP is already behind. Wow. Of course it will rock because Apple knows what they are doing but its not mind blowing by any means even in comparison to the specs of the touchpad. Oh I forgot they also announced a nifty smart cover for an extra $39 or $69 depending on which material you want. If you want to export via hdmi, that will cost you another $39 for the adapter although its cool that it will work for the iphone too. That weird Veer adapter isn't looking as bad right now and at least HP isn't making you pay extra for it.
    You left something out.... The ipad 2 is coming out in a the 11th of THIS month and the touchpad is coming out in "summer". The ipad has carrier support from the two largest American carriers and standalone wifi and the touchpad has nothing. I think that is why people are throwing in the white flag.
    Which do you think will be overall faster? Ill put $100 on ipad2 no matter what the processor speeds truly are.

It's a thinner, faster, lighter ipad for $499 coming out next week!

Powerful apps (that open in an instant) like facetime, photobooth, and garageband to show off the capability of the system and set the bar for iOS app design.

LMAO! The Veer adapter is for listening to audio and charging, they better not charge haha. If you need the cover and hdmi out then its worth it. most people wont need it.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Wow, just wow! I guess all you saw was the hardware spec sheet. Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees. What Apple announced transcends specs. ALL product announcements ought to transcend specs. Still, if all you saw was a favorable hardware spec comparison, there is little hope that you will get why that's a problem. Best hope HP saw something more.
    I've said variations of this at least three times in this thread, so I'll just repost the latest rephrasing of my rebuttal to this line of thinking:

It doesn't need to blow other tablets (like the Touchpad) away in specs. It already blows them away in software, stability, build construction, ecosystem, price, availability (now) and apps. Simply being on par with specs means that competitors now have virtually NO discernible advantages before most of them can even start advertising, much less hit the market.

This is doubly true for TouchPad, which is still an unfinished product with an unreleased price that will arrive at an undetermined time. When it arrives in the best possible case scenario, it might come up to par with iPad 2 in stability. Maybe price. No possible way will it match it in build quality, ecosystem, apps, and native software. Consumers aren't going to sit around and wait for months on end to get an unknown that at its best is still inferior in many qualities to a known entity available now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke74896 View Post
    I'm just going to get the iPad 2. There's 65,000 apps for it. I think the app catalog only has around 5,000. I would much rather have the touchpad with 65,000 apps. But it doesn't right now and it probabbly won't for a very long time.
    Considering it took about 2 years for webOS to hit 6500 apps (with over 2000 of those being spam from 10 developers), I'd say you are spot on.