View Poll Results: Who Will Be Getting The iPad 2?

Voters
268. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

53 19.78%
  • No

78 29.10%
  • Hold Out for HP TouchPad

137 51.12%
Page 27 of 43 FirstFirst ... 17222324252627282930313237 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Touchpad has stereo beats speakers, communication coils and wireless charging to add to the hardware specs.

ipad 2 has mono speaker?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    I've look and looked and have done my comparisons...

-The pros of the iPad2 are the back camera, slick anesthetics, and the case. (maybe the HDMI cord you can buy for $30)
    -The pros for the TouchPad are faster CPU, WebOS, Touch to Share, Beats Audio, and the better front camera. (maybe the extensive wireless Printer base it has)

-The cons for iPad2 are iOS lack of "true" multitasking (hibernating apps) and notifications.
    -The cons for the TouchPad are no back camera.

Overall, it is pretty close. It is up to what you want more of: hardware or software. I am personally a software guy (try'n to get into the dev business) so for me, I would like the TouchPad much more than the iPad2. Others want a really slick device like the iPad2, so be it. I am still getting the TouchPad
    You missed 2 HUGE things

iPad available in 2 weeks. For 500 dollars. And with 60,000 Apps for you to enjoy with your 500 dollar purchase.

Touchpad no release date. No carriers announced yet. No Apps. Lets say it match iPad price at 500. You wait 6 months for it to release with a 500 price. No Apps, you have to wait anouther 6 months just to get a small fraction of Apps than you can use to enjoy your purchase.

Whats the point?

You have to wait and wait to buy. Then once you get it you have to wait and wait to really take advantage of it and enjoy it with all the apps that you need.

Listen. I love webOS. I still have my Pre-. I will never buy an iPhone. BUT... a tablet is another whole ballgame. iPad 2 has it made and in 10 days time. You CANNOT argue that.

Im just getting tired of a company that keeps me waiting and waiting and waiting
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    Touchpad has stereo beats speakers, communication coils and wireless charging to add to the hardware specs.

ipad 2 has mono speaker?
    What'd you expect, surround sound? Personally, I'm disappointed it doesn't come with a unicorn. Maybe iPad 3 I'll get my wish.

ipad 2 has mono speaker?
    Not enough to make a difference. It would be better to put a fruit logo on it, then it would be sayin' something.LOL However this with other things should put Touchpad at 2 or 3 in a year (from release, not announcment )
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    You missed 2 HUGE things

iPad available in 2 weeks. For 500 dollars. And with 60,000 Apps for you to enjoy with your 500 dollar purchase.

Touchpad no release date. No carriers announced yet. No Apps. Lets say it match iPad price at 500. You wait 6 months for it to release with a 500 price. No Apps, you have to wait anouther 6 months just to get a small fraction of Apps than you can use to enjoy your purchase.

Whats the point?

You have to wait and wait to buy. Then once you get it you have to wait and wait to really take advantage of it and enjoy it with all the apps that you need.

Listen. I love webOS. I still have my Pre-. I will never buy an iPhone. BUT... a tablet is another whole ballgame. iPad 2 has it made and in 10 days time. You CANNOT argue that.

Im just getting tired of a company that keeps me waiting and waiting and waiting
    Some people like to suffer quietly, like a Mets fan.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    What'd you expect, surround sound? Personally, I'm disappointed it doesn't come with a unicorn. Maybe iPad 3 I'll get my wish.
    So defensive.

Good speakers are important for music and movies.
    So defensive.

Indeed, they are. The speaker on the current iPad is loud and sounds nice, IMO. But if it's not sufficient for one, they can always extend the audio by either purchasing something that hooks to the audio out or bluetooth.

Granted, that takes away a bit of the portability, but it's an option.
    So defensive.

so is a great music player. Which apple makes arguably the best. but even good speakers don't trump 60k ipad apps.

if you see the keynote video that jobs shows. it starts at about 9:00. http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.ne...ent/index.html almost everything referenced is about what you can do with apps. from salesforce.com talking about using it to run their businesses, to doctors, analysts, etc. Until hp gets app support they have problems. cause nobody just wants a tablet for the sake of having a tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    so is a great music player. Which apple makes arguably the best. but even good speakers don't trump 60k ipad apps.
    That are available NOW for people to enjoy on their iPad in 10 DAYS at 500 dollars.

Guaranteed. lol.. i look at my posts and it makes me wanna puke how pro apple I sound.

Actually looks like i am pro iPad, i still dont like Apple lol

Nothing is guaranteed with the Touchpad except for its pathetic app selection at launch and that webOS is still webOS.. but is that enough anymore?

All i wanna do is browse the net and type some emails and use Apps Apps Apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    That are available NOW for people to enjoy on their iPad in 10 DAYS at 500 dollars.

Guaranteed. lol.. i look at my posts and it makes me wanna puke how pro apple I sound.

Actually looks like i am pro iPad, i still dont like Apple lol

Nothing is guaranteed with the Touchpad except for its pathetic app selection at launch and that webOS is still webOS.. but is that enough anymore?

All i wanna do is browse the net and type some emails and use Apps Apps Apps.
    No. this is basically about business. it's about delivering a product that satisfies customers. Pro apple anti apple is kinda beside the point.. I can run off a litany of crap that apple fails at like itunes running well on windows, monitoring folders, notifications, making mice that don't suck.

when you look at a market you have to look at the market leaders. And find out what they do that works and what you do wrong and you adjust. If you wanted to know how to win at printers you look at HP. You want to make soda, you look at Coke. If you want to know how to sell phone you don't look at HP, just yet.

But to me identifying a competitor's strength isn't about being a being pro something it's about finding out what matters to customers and where you can approve.

as a side note about the apps thing it did stand out to me the turmoil that seemed to come from the sprint event with the developers, confusion about versions, and i think deiter mentioned in the podcast he was surprised they talked so little about new apps at the main feb 9th event.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    um.. haven't you heard their road map? WebOS on ever HP desktop isn't just an optimistic way of saying eventually we will have alot of apps. It seriously is a huge deal and WILL fill the "Huge Void" in the app catalog.
    iOS is a 5 year old matured beast. And it had the advantage of not as competitive market when their app store launched.
    I would buy all of that if this hadn't been promised over and over and over...and over during the last couple of years. Every new "feature" is touted as "the thing that will create the app flood". Every one of them has failed to create said flood. Here are a few (in no particular order) of the past events that were supposed to result in a massive influx of apps:

• CES '09
    • Early access program
    • Pre Launch
    • Verizon Launch
    • AT&T Launch
    • International Paid Apps
    • Non-beta app catalog
    • PDK
    • App contest
    • PDK App Contest
    • Hybrid PDK/Mojo
    • Ares
    • CES '10
    • HP's Reach and Scale
    • Merger Completion
    • Rahul's "Screwdriver and defectors" comments
    • Feb 09 2011

Next up...
    • Summer '11
    • Enyo
    • Hybrid PDK/Enyo???
    • TouchPad
    • webOS on PCs
    • CES '12
    Wow, that Garage Band demo in the keynote is pretty incredible.

This is the kind of stuff that makes me wonder how much of a future webOS has. You just cannot get apps of this quality on HP devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    I would buy all of that if this hadn't been promised over and over and over...and over during the last couple of years.

that and if fricken microsoft hadn't just sauntered in and hit 9000 apps on people in a few months.

but i just think specs are great but there are only so many people that want another device just to email, browse the web, and read an ebook. i think they are important but if i can do that with an ipad 2 why not just get that and all that comes with it? Jobs said one thing that stood out and i'm paraphrasing, "The tablet market flopped. The ipad is the tablet market." which makes me think it's gonna be hard to just have a tablet and the few apps that come with it and stand back and hope that works w/o apps and accessories and stuff. I don't really remember people in mass wanting a tablet at alluntil the ipad came. And that seems a big hurdle for hp to tackle cause it's more then just the hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Wow, that Garage Band demo in the keynote is pretty incredible.

This is the kind of stuff that makes me wonder how much of a future webOS has. You just cannot get apps of this quality on HP devices.
    yeah that's really nice. the note dynamics on the piano is pretty cool. but yeah that level of app is rare on webos and there's nothing like that i've seen on the way.

yeah that music stuff is one of the only things that makes me want tablet of any kind. that it would be kinda cool cause i have tons of sheet music on my computer. but the music software for it is getting crazy advanced.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 03/02/2011 at 07:32 PM.
    This is my first post since the announcement. After reading up on the iPad two, I am left to conclude that this will sell triple what the first iPad did. Never mind specs. There are three features that stand out as made for commercials:

1. GarageBand I am a musician with "real" instruments and a studio. I am also a composer in my spare time. GarageBand for the iPad is what I have created in my fantasies as the perfect tool for musicians on the go. It has the potential to be both fun and useful. The demo of GarageBand in Apple Stores will ensure long lines at the register.

2. PhotoBooth This is a stupid, useless tech demo for kids... that will sell iPads by the millions. It also serves to show us geeks what's possible with that hardware/software combination. Engadget has already shown it to be bleeding fast. If they can waste that kind of power to do something that useless, imagine what a determined developer can do. PhotoBooth sells tons of Macs. It will sell even more iPads.

3. Smart Cover. Shall we have a battle of accessories? I'll take the Smart Cover over Touch Stone any day in a 30s ad sell-off. It is wicked cool, demos well, utilitarian, expressive, and already has a 30s demo ad.

Apple - iPad - It's thinner, lighter, and faster than ever.

Lift it up and the screen comes to life. No lock screen required. Cover the screen and the screen turns off. Pick your color and material. Better yet, why choose? Grab a bunch... and people will.

Naturally, I believe the iPad is a better machine for all the reasons expressed by most of the posters in this thread. But this isn't about which is better. This is about which will sell. Apple knows how to sell. Commercials and in-store demos based around any one of these features means lights-out for the competition. All three of these features in one device is almost unfair.

I have some thoughts about what HP might do to salvage this year going forward, but I will reserve that for a later post. I am going to take the next little while to watch the keynote on my living room TV.
    I can't believe you left out iMovie. Someone asked if a rear camera was really that important in the TouchPad forum. By itself, probably not. But being able to record video, chop it together, and wirelessly stream the finished product to your TV, all on and from the iPad, is how things like this SHOULD work.
    I'd actually think the rear camera would be more useful for document scanning myself, as long as it's an auto-focus.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    This is my first post since the announcement. After reading up on the iPad two, I am left to conclude that this will sell triple what the first iPad did. Never mind specs. There are three features that stand out as made for commercials:

1. GarageBand I am a musician with "real" instruments and a studio. I am also a composer in my spare time. GarageBand for the iPad is what I have created in my fantasies as the perfect tool for musicians on the go. It has the potential to be both fun and useful. The demo of GarageBand in Apple Stores will ensure long lines at the register.

2. PhotoBooth This is a stupid, useless tech demo for kids... that will sell iPads by the millions. It also serves to show us geeks what's possible with that hardware/software combination. Engadget has already shown it to be bleeding fast. If they can waste that kind of power to do something that useless, imagine what a determined developer can do. PhotoBooth sells tons of Macs. It will sell even more iPads.

3. Smart Cover. Shall we have a battle of accessories? I'll take the Smart Cover over Touch Stone any day in a 30s ad sell-off. It is wicked cool, demos well, utilitarian, expressive, and already has a 30s demo ad.

Apple - iPad - It's thinner, lighter, and faster than ever.

Lift it up and the screen comes to life. No lock screen required. Cover the screen and the screen turns off. Pick your color and material. Better yet, why choose? Grab a bunch... and people will.

Naturally, I believe the iPad is a better machine for all the reasons expressed by most of the posters in this thread. But this isn't about which is better. This is about which will sell. Apple knows how to sell. Commercials and in-store demos based around any one of these features means lights-out for the competition. All three of these features in one device is almost unfair.

I have some thoughts about what HP might do to salvage this year going forward, but I will reserve that for a later post. I am going to take the next little while to watch the keynote on my living room TV.
    haha. funny i totally missed the photobooth thing cause i skipped around but as a novice musician i'd agree about garage band. For the hobbyist it's really good and looks very approachable. Plus there are tons of other ipad music apps.

the cover? well i thought that was a dumb idea until i actually saw it. i mean it turns into a stand. And the sleep wake think is a pretty cool. That's pretty neat. not a deal breaker or anything but creative.
    Speakers would matter more to me, except for the fact that people don't really want to hear your stuff in public, seriously. This is one reason why I invest in in-ear earphones. At home it may matter more though. Beats Audio does sound like a good feature. But there's still no word from HP about release date, so far.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    the cover? well i thought that was a dumb idea until i actually saw it. i mean it turns into a stand. And the sleep wake think is a pretty cool. That's pretty neat. not a deal breaker or anything but creative.
    Yeah, I was skeptical about the cover until I saw it in motion. Can't wait to pay $99 for it!

I'm sure a lot of people will disagree but I think Steve Jobs nails it at the end of the keynote when he explains the philosophical difference between Apple's approach to tablets and what everyone else is doing.
    Funny how everyone picks what they want to see in the competing products, and I include webOS fans in this:
    1) From the OP who includes 3rd party stuff in his comparison (Inductive charging is standard with all tablets?)
    2) To the bump to share Touchpad, which has yet to prove it's effectiveness
    3) to the rear camera which wasn't a big deal UNTIL Apple decided to include it.

A magnetic cover, revolutionary? Until you lose it.

Why do I get the idea that most people haven't moved much anyway, except for the people who are tired of waiting for HP?
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )