View Poll Results: Who Will Be Getting The iPad 2?

Voters
268. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

53 19.78%
  • No

78 29.10%
  • Hold Out for HP TouchPad

137 51.12%
Page 24 of 43 FirstFirst ... 14192021222324252627282934 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    I would also like to point out that a single core 1.4 GHz device can actually outperform a dual core 1 GHz device based on how optimized the software stack is. Going from single core to dual core typically performance benefits are anywhere from 120%-170% depending on the type of work. A 1.4 GHz device can win on an average with no need to optimize for dual core.
    that may be true. i think big picture it doesn't matter that much to most people.

that being said, and i'm not really a techy so i don't know, but what if you're doing like two separate cpu intensive activities. like would a single core 1.4ghz do as good as a dual core 1.4 ghz if the task was simultaneously encoding both and audio recording in say garage band and a video recording in imovie?

also won't the one 1.4ghz chip not always be the same as another 1.4ghz chip. like is an 1.4 ghz single core Nvidea chip always necessarily going to perform exactly the same as a 1.4 ghz single core qualcomm chip? You don't need to go into much detail. a general yes or no is perfectly fine. thanks.
    Through reviews of all the new devices - iPad2, Xoom, Galaxy, Playbook, LG Optimun and TouchPad, is the HP device the only one with no video out? All the others seem to have hdmi out.

WOW

I also noticed the TouchPad is the thickest and weighs the most. Cutting edge for sure!

Or am i missing something???
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    that may be true. i think big picture it doesn't matter that much to most people.

that being said, and i'm not really a techy so i don't know, but what if you're doing like two separate cpu intensive activities. like would a single core 1.4ghz do as good as a dual core 1.4 ghz if the task was simultaneously encoding both and audio recording in say garage band and a video recording in imovie?

also won't the one 1.4ghz chip not always be the same as another 1.4ghz chip. like is an 1.4 ghz single core Nvidea chip always necessarily going to perform exactly the same as a 1.4 ghz single core qualcomm chip? You don't need to go into much detail. a general yes or no is perfectly fine. thanks.
    For something like your Garage Band/iMovie example, you'll see huge performance gains on a dual core processor (assuming those apps are well-threaded).

As for the second question, no. Different cpu architectures have different pipeline stages and such. I'd imagine the performance between a 1.4GHz tegra vs a 1.4Ghz snapdragon would be pretty close but there are enough differences to where I'm not confident enough to say they'd have the same results on benchmarks.
    Uh oh, the ipad 2 doesn't have 4G? Also, even if the TouchPad comes out in summer, the specs are just the same as the rest if not better. It's sad people still think Apple is the best thing since sliced bread.

iPad 2 vs. Motorola Xoom vs. HP TouchPad vs. BlackBerry PlayBook: the tale of the tape -- Engadget
    Sprint Love
    Quote Originally Posted by hangman0000 View Post
    After Looking @ the Ipad2 I now have seen all of the competition and it makes me more excited about what HP can do w/ the touchpad. I figured the touchpad would be coutclassed in the hardware division but it isn't. It does lack a rearfacing camera which I wish was there just in case. But to me the only thing the touchpad needs is a different back (that plastic back cover just looks cheap and it only looks nice when no one has touched it). And some decent apps apple with imovie and garage band is probably going to lock up producers and artist. If th HP uses it marketing push to make @least 1 competitive app in every category I think we'll win.
    What does the touchpad have that the Ipad2 doesnt?

iPad2 has:

A release date in 2 weeks
    Carrier Support
    A sweet 500 Price
    Smaller, thinner, and lighter
    A **** ton of Apps that you can use RIGHT AWAY with your 500 purchase

If you wait 6 months for the touchpad, you have to wait another 6 months to get any apps to really enjoy it. By then iPad 3 is out.

HP/Palm really missed a business cycle and they need to go in turbo mode to catch up.

Touch to share will be available on all OS's by Summer. iOS and Andiod already have something similar
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    Yes, there is no magic though. iOS does very little background stuff compared to webOS which is a true multitasking OS. Also, iOS GUI has been fully hardware accelerated since the beginning and for webOS it was an afterthought (same as Android) . webOS 3.0 will be the first one to be hardware accelerated (similar to honeycomb) .
    Wasn't webOS 2.x supposed to be using a hardware accelerated GUI?

But even with hardware acceleration for the iOS GUI, I've still seen it overtax to the point of studdering quite frequently.
    It better translate into better battery life!
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    Through reviews of all the new devices - iPad2, Xoom, Galaxy, Playbook, LG Optimun and TouchPad, is the HP device the only one with no video out? All the others seem to have hdmi out.

WOW

I also noticed the TouchPad is the thickest and weighs the most. Cutting edge for sure!

Umm - you can print to an HP printer with it?
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    Uh oh, the ipad 2 doesn't have 4G? Also, even if the TouchPad comes out in summer, the specs are just the same as the rest if not better. It's sad people still think Apple is the best thing since sliced bread.

iPad 2 vs. Motorola Xoom vs. HP TouchPad vs. BlackBerry PlayBook: the tale of the tape -- Engadget
    I dont like Apple. I think Steve Jobs is a *****. I love my Pre. I will never buy an iPhone bc i dont consider it a cellphone.

BUT...

As I stated above, What do other tablets have that the iPad doesnt? I agre specs are the same, but forget about Specs for a second.

iPad is CHEAPER, lighter, smaller, thinner, and HAS a release date and APPS to use once you spend 500.

Touchpad has no Apps, no release date, no carrier support.. really nothing besides the same specs as the iPad2

So......

Are you going to wait another 6 months to buy the same thing you can have now with all the apps you need? Or will you wait 6 months for a touchpad then another 6 months for a fraction of marginal apps to be able to enjoy and use with your touchpad?
    I don't have any interest whatsoever in a tablet (that is why I got a smartphone). I simply don't need another device to fill that "cavernous void" b/w my laptop and my Pre 2. However, reading over an article about today's iPad2 event, it seems that Apple is doing what it always does. It releases a revolutionary new product and everyone else scrambles to catch up for a year. Almost none these devices match up to Apple's specs, a few match up and rarely does anything surpass it. Once Apple has seen what everyone else is bringing to the table, they calmly release their new device that immediately blows past everything else. I don't know what distinct, undeniable advantages the TP might have over the iPad (apart from WebOS, obviously), but I don't think it matters one bit. The iPad2 is going to be available in just over a week. The TP will be available...you guessed it...in the coming months. In all honesty, Apple could very likely sell more iPad2 devices just by the time the TP is released than the TP will sell overall. What reason can HP give people to wait several more months to get the TP? I know the TP's specs matched up favorably with the iPad, but how will they fare with the iPad2? As I stated, I have absolutely zero interest in a tablet. Further, I detest Apple and have vowed to never own an Apple product. However, they are an absolute juggernaut and it baffles me that nobody has figured out a way to top (or even match) them. iPod, iTouch, iPhone, iPad...they've all left the entire market frantically scrambling just to play catch up.

I can't say the iPad2 blows the TP away. It is significantly lighter and does have rear and front cameras. I think the TP only has front. It'll depend on how fast it is...from all reports it's blazing. But, I think the killer spec is this: available March 11.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    For something like your Garage Band/iMovie example, you'll see huge performance gains on a dual core processor (assuming those apps are well-threaded).

As for the second question, no. Different cpu architectures have different pipeline stages and such. I'd imagine the performance between a 1.4GHz tegra vs a 1.4Ghz snapdragon would be pretty close but there are enough differences to where I'm not confident enough to say they'd have the same results on benchmarks.
    i see that's sort of what i figures. like i'm sure the two similar ghz processors would be similar in performance but i'd think the fact that the two different chips would be built by different companies in different ways would mean there are likely little differences. so theoretically two tablets could both have, say 1ghz chips, but since by different manufactures they would perform differently.
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post

It's more disturbing when people think specs are all that matter.
    I think people here are jumping the gun on somethings. I think what is going to set the Touchpad apart from other tablets, is the Homebrew community. If not for them some folks wouldn't see Webos 2.1 on the Pre minus. Apple is not going to support that type of thing.

I also think HP is going to expand Tap to Share just beyond URL's it's a given. If they don't the servers that they gave to the Homebrew people will make it happen.

I just say give it time this is not the end all be all for HP or anyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    It better translate into better battery life!
    I believe it has a slightly smaller battery than iPad 1 (6300 mAH vs 6600 mAH) but for all intents and purposes it should easily be able to do 8 hours of battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post

WOW

OP you are missing a few things:
    1: tablet missing exact release date
    2: tablet missing carrier info
    3: tablet missing price

Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Umm - you can print to an HP printer with it?
    The iPad can print to a select few HP printers
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    What does the touchpad have that the Ipad2 doesnt?

iPad2 has:

A release date in 2 weeks
    Carrier Support
    A sweet 500 Price
    Smaller, thinner, and lighter
    A **** ton of Apps that you can use RIGHT AWAY with your 500 purchase

If you wait 6 months for the touchpad, you have to wait another 6 months to get any apps to really enjoy it. By then iPad 3 is out.

HP/Palm really missed a business cycle and they need to go in turbo mode to catch up.

Touch to share will be available on all OS's by Summer. iOS and Andiod already have something similar
    That is so key. The iPad has things like Infinity Blade, Rebirth, iMovie, and whatever esoteric app ends up being THE killer app for you. This stuff isn't available anywhere else. Could this stuff hit webOS? Maybe. But when you buy an iPad, you can use these apps now rather than signing petitions and emailing developers about ports.
    Quote Originally Posted by hangman0000 View Post
    If th HP uses it marketing push to make @least 1 competitive app in every category I think we'll win.
    no offense but i don't think one app in each category is nearly enough to "win." If winning is even possible.

i can't see most people choosing a platform that has say one financial app over a platform that has 300 financial apps. Or 1 studio recording app over 300. etc. I mean i don't think it helps to say he we have a fantasy football app if the consumer only plays fantasy football at ESPN Fantasy, and you're app isn't ESPN Fantasy Football. I just don't think one is enough. It's a positive start. I think you can tick off some big players and help your cause. But People like options.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadis View Post
    I think people here are jumping the gun on somethings. I think what is going to set the Touchpad apart from other tablets, is the Homebrew community. If not for them some folks wouldn't see Webos 2.1 on the Pre minus. Apple is not going to support that type of thing.

I also think HP is going to expand Tap to Share just beyond URL's it's a given. If they don't the servers that they gave to the Homebrew people will make it happen.

Realistically, how many people do you think homebrew, or even know about it? While HP supports the homebrew efforts, they're not going to usher users towards it.

In my opinion, why does it take homebrew to make webOS a compelling platform? Why can't it be done officially? Assuming that's what users really want ..
    We're coming on 2 years of webOS - long enough to have a frame of reference for just how important homebrew is to customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadis View Post

yeah but Apple hasn't done that all along and it hasn't helped the pre take any market share from the iphone. Most people i don't think have any interest in doing homebrew stuff. no disrespect to them or what they bring. Because i think they are a value to the webos community and have in my mind provide more value to the platform then Palm has. hell i'd rather have 4x4 icons then almost anything in 2.1 except maybe a better editable dictionary. Which homebrew did first too.

but i think i'm pretty average. i did homebrew because my stock pre didn't cut it. It wasn't cause i wanted to keep patching my phone for two years as an ongoing thing. . And you mention 2.1 i mean that's just too much stuff to jump through and i think a lot of average consumers would balk at doing all of that thus that sort of thing would be seen as a negative rather then a positive if it is neccessary. Not to mention i don't know how you go about marketing with homebrew in mind. YOu can't exactly say, "yeah buy our phone, there's all kinds of stuff we HP can't actually deliver in the OS but the homebrew guys can hack onto the phone for you." I just don't think that is compelling outside of the limited tinker market. It's not like everybody jailbreaks iphones either.