View Poll Results: Who Will Be Getting The iPad 2?

Voters
268. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

53 19.78%
  • No

78 29.10%
  • Hold Out for HP TouchPad

137 51.12%
Page 22 of 43 FirstFirst ... 12171819202122232425262732 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
    iPad2 even beat RIM Playbook to the market, not only is HP getting hammered so is RIM.
    I am not sure why this is considered an ipad 1.5? It has dual cameras compared to ZERO in the first one, dual core processor running at presumably 1 GHz (since 2x processing power) , an updated graphics co-processor (9x GPU) presumably at least dual the amount of memory from ipad1 (based on zero checkerboards in the hands-on videos), adds gyroscope and is thinner and lighter than the original with the EXACT same battery life as the old one.

What would have made is ipad2????????

I don't understand the mentality. iPhone 3Gs vs iPhone 4 was just a spec bump from 600 MHz to 800 MHz (rebranded processor), addition of a front facing camera, twice the memory from iPhone 3GS and the addition of gyroscope. Battery life was only slightly improved due to a bigger battery. The only thing that was not a slight upgrade was the screen with its Double Half VGA resolution (i.e. 2x320 x 2x480).

iPad 2 to iPad 1 is a MUCH bigger jump in every sector. They were able to keep the 10 Hr battery life with double of every thing (inside) and were able to reduce the thickness and the weight of the device at the same time. This is remarkable.

I still think Touchpad is a better device overall just because webOS is a better Operating system more suited to a tablet. iPod 2 just like its predecessor is a giant ipod Touch. However, if your needs are just to have an instant on device for some light web browsing iPad 2 will work much better than any other device (very little learning curve).
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    And a few weeks after the TouchPad finally limps into the marketplace, Apple will be announcing the iPad3! The tablet market is a fast moving train and HP is standing at the station watching it fly by...
    ... with yesterday's newspaper in-hand.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Back to the topic,
    Can anyone chime in with the difference in real world performance between a 1 GHz ARM dual core to 1.2 GHz Qualcom Dual core ?
    I have a question: Did Apple actually give a speed spec? I only saw in the slides "up to 2x as fast" and "A5" and "dual core".

Real world performance, IMO, can best be gauged by running the same software on different hardware. For example, the Palm Pre was very very similar in terms of guts to the iPhone 3Gs. But they ran totally different software, and WebOS was still pretty young and lacked things like gfx hardware acceleration.

So I think you'd probably have to look at 2 similarly equipped Android devices running the same OS with different processors to really get a feel for raw difference in speed. Even then, that doesn't take into consideration optimization of a software platform for a given CPU, etc....

This is why I somewhat agree with some of the earlier posters in this thread. Processor speed in and of itself doesn't tell the whole story. What really matters is how the software runs-- if the user experience is buttery smooth and apps run as expected, does the average joe even care what speed or brand his processor is?
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    So I shouldn't use the sites that don't work on iOS?

Lucky for you that you can keep to the half of the web that doesn't require Flash or that you don't need to have deeper functionality than what some of the mobile versions of sites can offer.
    I am not saying what you should or shouldn't do.

You may very well have specific needs --specific sites that have not been configured to mobile devices - that preclude you from every using a non-Flash enabled device. I KNOW there are people like that, so I would never dream of telling you which sites you should use.

I just dare you to site down and surf on an iPad for a day and affirm that you couldn't see 50% of the internet.

For me, its a fact that, ON A COMPUTER BROWSER, probably 20% of the sites I visit, with flash turned off, fail in some way (usually just a "plug in required" error). I move to another browser and carry on.

But when I am surfing from a mobile device, be it a Pre, an Android device (since all the ones I have used have had flash disabled) or an iOS device, I rarely if ever encounter that error because most sites have adapted.

Either way, its a far cry from "half the internet."

But I do understand it might make you feel better for waiting for a mobile device that does it well, so carry on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    And a few weeks after the TouchPad finally limps into the marketplace, Apple will be announcing the iPad3! The tablet market is a fast moving train and HP is standing at the station watching it fly by...
    I doubt Apple will cannibalize their own sales. They have NEVER released updates at less than a year. I am sure they will keep on their yearly update cycle as it makes NO financial sense for them to announce a product mid-year. It is not like iPad 2 will not sell it is already better than Xoom based on price alone.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I'm sorry, but why would anyone wait until June to buy a tablet when you can get the iPad 2 next week?
    This.

As much as it pains me to agree, this is true. The iPad2 will not only snatch up the "oh I'm not buying a tablet, waiting for iPad2" people, it will get a good number of the existing iPad1 owners to upgrade. I can't see there being a significant market of people who don't already own tablets just waiting around by the time HP gets around to releasing TouchPad. That doesn't even count in the people who buy Samsung Tabs and Motorola Xooms between now and then...

Amazing with all of HPs resources they couldn't have this thing ready by now.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    They're not just late to market. They're the very last to market. There will be an iPad 2, Xoom, LG G-Slate 3D, Playbook, HTC Flyer, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and Win 7 tablets all shipping well before HP even airs one TouchPad commercial.
    I'm really hoping that release date ends up being an extremely conservative estimate and they announce release in the near future. If not then they are in trouble, not from the iPad2 so much as from all the comparable tablets between the Xoom and then....
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I'm sorry, but why would anyone wait until June to buy a tablet when you can get the iPad 2 next week?
    Because we already have the first iPad and see no compelling reason to upgrade to the iPad 2

That, and it's not like the entire world is just waiting to buy a new touch device right this second. This market is just sprouting, there will be no shortage of people looking at touch devices in June-- and yes, they'll still be considering the iPad 2.
    Back to the topic,
    Can anyone chime in with the difference in real world performance between a 1 GHz ARM dual core to 1.2 GHz Qualcom Dual core ?
    I've done a few searches for comparisons but it's going to be difficult to find as the A5 is only used in the iPhone and iPad. It's developed by Apple in-house; that's one advantage Apple has, the tight marriage between its hardware and software, they're designed with the other in mind.
    Refurbished iPads now start at $349

Refurbished Apple iPads: Extra $80 to $120 off, from $349 + free shipping
    The Apple Store slashes an extra $80 to $120 off a selection of factory-refurbished Apple iPad WiFi Tablets, as listed below. (See these discounts in-cart.) With free shipping, each model is at the lowest total price we’ve ever seen. Sales tax is added where applicable. This 0.5″-thick tablet weighs 1.5 lbs. and features an Apple A4 1GHz processor, 9.7″ 1024768 LCD touchscreen display, 802.11a/n wireless, Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR, accelerometer, compass, up to 10 hours of battery life, and more. Each carries a 1-year Apple warranty, the same as new units. The iPads:

Refurbished Apple iPad 16GB Wi-Fi for $349
    refurbished Apple iPad 32GB Wi-Fi for $429
    refurbished Apple iPad 16GB Wi-Fi + 3G for $479
    refurbished Apple iPad 64GB Wi-Fi for $529
    refurbished Apple iPad 32GB Wi-Fi + 3G for $559
    refurbished Apple iPad 64GB Wi-Fi + 3G for $659
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I'm really hoping that release date ends up being an extremely conservative estimate and they announce release in the near future. If not then they are in trouble, not from the iPad2 so much as from all the comparable tablets between the Xoom and then....

Will we see a desperate lurch to bring the touchpad to market sooner?
    Back to the topic,
    The A5 running iOS will be faster in real world performance than the Qualcom running WebOS.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by j_benj View Post
    Amazing with all of HPs resources they couldn't have this thing ready by now.
    I'm not surprised. Look at the iPad 2. They've been developing this for years. It's not like the day the iPad 1 was released they said "ok, let's develop the iPad 2". Nope, it was already far along in product development no doubt. Hell, I'm sure HP's already working on a successor to the TouchPad, in addition to other form factors.

HP may have scale and resources and this should result in better products and maybe more competitive release schedules *going forward*, but you can only do things so quickly. Look how long it took MS to get Windows 7 out after XP. You can only develop the software so quickly. And everything I've seen leads me to believe that *software* is really what needs the most finishing and polish right now. Thats why you see HTC and Samsung and such churning out Android devices right and left-- they're not developing a whole OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I honestly dont think so, HP will stick to there guns and hope for the best. I think they lost few people who were sitting on the fence and trying to hold out.
    Now the market share that webOS had 3-4% will go down even further. It is extremely hard to play catch to a company like Apple. Was HP aware of the iPad2 and its release date? I dont think they were, no one was.
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    The chip on the Ipad2 looked pretty good at pumping out 1080p video to a full size screen - how does it work on the Touchpad? That's a useful real world usage scenario.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    That would be even worse. Can you imagine HP shipping the TouchPad with beta webOS code with performance similar to what we've seen in the demo videos?
    I have to admit, that hardware is very attractive!

Though the specs on the TouchPad are a bit better (cameras aside), the thinness and weight are mind blowing on the iPad 2 and the software (considering all the apps, not just what they talked about today) really makes things better.

Too bad iOS makes me feel throwing up.
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
    With the WiFi version of the Xoom rumored to be out next month and the Playbook set for release next month HP really needs to get their stuff together.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    With the WiFi version of the Xoom rumored to be out next month and the Playbook set for release next month HP really needs to get their stuff together.
    What will really worry me is if there's crap for apps available for the TouchPad when it launches. Apple ramped up developers for the iPad, and HP seems to be trying to do something somewhat similar. The Xoom? For all its shiny hardware it seems underwhelming because there isn't much else new to use that hardware just yet, only a smattering of honeycomb apps. I'm not at all worried about the Playbook either.