View Poll Results: Who Will Be Getting The iPad 2?

Voters
268. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

53 19.78%
  • No

78 29.10%
  • Hold Out for HP TouchPad

137 51.12%
Page 21 of 43 FirstFirst ... 111617181920212223242526 31 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
    I think HP webos tablets takes a hit on this simply because they are late to market. Especially considering this is apple's second go round and HP is still trying to get its first webos tablet customer. That and just the app problem. There's nothing like garage band for webos tablets. You can just flat out do more on the ipad 2 and that's a massive selling point even more then raw specs. But few apps and late to market is not a recipe for success.
  2. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I never had my iPad email app pulse unresponsively on screen when trying to reply to an email like I saw repeatedly with the TouchPad hands on video posted at Engadget last month. Not exactly "on par" unless you're squinting really hard.
    <squinting>

Oh well that was a Demo. Its not a finished product yet.

</squinting>
    You do realize that some people are actually interested in the touchpad and given that the market leader just announced a new product they want to discuss with others about the implications.

Not everyone saying nice things about the ipad2 is, as you so eloquently put it, a mac ****. Sometimes people are just fans of things they find interesting. Shocking isnt it?
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vaxick View Post
    Flash isn't really the huge selling point it once was. Android and RIM do it too on their tablets.
    Difference being that there's nothing else that interests me about those 2 platforms. It's either WebOS or iOS for me. To each his own
    Quote Originally Posted by rumz View Post
    I'd still rather have a TouchPad.

The real draw of the iPad is some of the apps-- Garage Band was pretty impressive, along with iMovie.

But personally-- I've used an iPad from day 1, and I'm tired of it's crappy multitasking (which, aside from allowing some apps to run in the background, isn't really multitasking at all IMO), clunky notification system and less than slick UI. Sure, everything looks good and it's polished... but navigating on WebOS is SO much more natural and fluid.

Plus, the TouchPad *should* have Flash. May not matter to some, but I'd rather have the option of using Flash, and I think WebOS has a nice solution for giving us that choice.
    Don't get me wrong - I love webOS - but I like to have that app system. I don't want netflix - I use DVD.

These applications Apple provides out of the box for a minimum charge are the tipping point for the device in my book.

And the detail love of the design...I don't want to switch to Apple.

But I guess there'll be no other choice if one really wants to actually produce content with the tablet device.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Oh well that was a Demo. Its not a finished product yet.
    Ah yes - the HP/Palm corporate motto.
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I've never seen iPad lag like some of those TouchPad demonstrations, unfortunately.
    That's because Apple completes 99% of the product before their demo time as opposed to HP, who finish 50% for the demo and the other 50% before Summer/Fall/Winter/Spring (Depending on which season starts next).
    Quote Originally Posted by sdcougar View Post
    You do realize that some people are actually interested in the touchpad and given that the market leader just announced a new product they want to discuss with others about the implications.

Not everyone saying nice things about the ipad2 is, as you so eloquently put it, a mac ****. Sometimes people are just fans of things they find interesting. Shocking isnt it?
    Yeah, 3% of the market. And that number is just shrinking everyday.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Now that Apple has announced the iPad 1.5 (I mean iPad 2) HP needs to come out with some announcements of their own. First and foremost they are going to need to announce pricing on the Touchpad. If they could get it on the shelves for $450 that would be awesome but they are going to need to at least price it at $499. Secondly, they are going to have to announce a concrete release date and soon. If the Touchpad were to launch within the first two weeks of June that would be great. I don't think people are going to rush to this next generation iPad like they have in the past. There is just not enough new features there to carry it. If they can do these two things I think that they will grab everyones attention. In some ways it was kind of a great move to wait until the iPad 2 had been announced so that they can now create a second tidal wave of information to the public. They got a lot of attention on February 9th, and now they have the capability to get some more if they can announce something that is going to be really competitive in pricing and specs. And we can now all see that spec wise, the Touchpad will hold it's own against other tablets. Now we are stuck with the waiting game from HP. It's like they are in a huge game of chess. They made the first move, Apple made theirs, now it's HP's turn again.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    I think HP webos tablets takes a hit on this simply because they are late to market. Especially considering this is apple's second go round and HP is still trying to get its first webos tablet customer. That and just the app problem. There's nothing like garage band for webos tablets. You can just flat out do more on the ipad 2 and that's a massive selling point even more then raw specs. But few apps and late to market is not a recipe for success.
    They're not just late to market. They're the very last to market. There will be an iPad 2, Xoom, LG G-Slate 3D, Playbook, HTC Flyer, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and Win 7 tablets all shipping well before HP even airs one TouchPad commercial.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Please remember Apple cannot support Flash because Flash is a resource hog, even with a dual core chip and good memory.
    It's bigger than that for Apple, though. They're helping the push to try to make flash irrelevant.

Instead, WebOS says "hey-- there's something flash on this page, but we're not going to load it automatically. BUT, if you want to, you can." It might be a resource hog, but to flat out not even provide the option is annoying.
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Ah yes - the HP/Palm corporate motto.
    Google used to do that too, with Earth/Gmail/maps but not anymore. I have a feeling that the delay is because of the Enyo framework and apps/app store support.
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    It's bigger than that for Apple, though. They're helping the push to try to make flash irrelevant.
    Yes Agree, Flash will survive with the support of Android/BlackBerry/WebOS/Window Phone.

Instead, WebOS says "hey-- there's something flash on this page, but we're not going to load it automatically. BUT, if you want to, you can." It might be a resource hog, but to flat out not even provide the option is annoying.
    I wish they release a new phone , may be the Pre3 next month.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    They're not just late to market. They're the very last to market. There will be an iPad 2, Xoom, LG G-Slate 3D, Playbook, HTC Flyer, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and Win 7 tablets all shipping well before HP even airs one TouchPad commercial.
    well i haven't followed those other tablets other then hearing a bit hear and their but i just think it's tough to compete when you're always coming in after the competition offering less overall functionality. not that hp is offering none or nothing different. But i think the difference is apps available is compelling not to mention people buy the Apple experience. HP has yet to craft that. tough to beat that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackbone View Post
    Oh come on, the Flash argument is a red herring and you know it.

You can beat that dead horse all you want to, but it doesn't change the fact that the consumers are saying "Flash on mobile devices is irrelevant.."

Don't believe me? The 200 + million iOS users back my claim. (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch.)

Flash on mobile/tablet is a dead duck.
    But strangely enough, you will still find iOS users complaining when they go to sites that require flash and haven't been retrofitted to work for those devices. My sister was complaining about it several times this while while using safari on her iPad. I guess I should have told her that those sites and her complaints were irrelevant.
  16. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Back to the topic,
    Can anyone chime in with the difference in real world performance between a 1 GHz ARM dual core to 1.2 GHz Qualcom Dual core ?
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Since nearly every site I use out there defaults to an iPad/Mobile/No Flash version, you would be wrong.

I surf on a computer browser with flash turned off all day, toggling over to another browser for when I need flash.

And I encounter flash errors for content all day long.

But when I surf on my iPad, I nearly never have flash errors. Sites have changed - they have always been built to accommodate different specs (remember when ie and netscape had different tag requirements?).

And they've simply adapted to mobile devices. Maybe you should too!?
    So I shouldn't use the sites that don't work on iOS?

Lucky for you that you can keep to the half of the web that doesn't require Flash or that you don't need to have deeper functionality than what some of the mobile versions of sites can offer.
    And a few weeks after the TouchPad finally limps into the marketplace, Apple will be announcing the iPad3! The tablet market is a fast moving train and HP is standing at the station watching it fly by...
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Juize View Post
    Don't get me wrong - I love webOS - but I like to have that app system. I don't want netflix - I use DVD.

These applications Apple provides out of the box for a minimum charge are the tipping point for the device in my book.

And the detail love of the design...I don't want to switch to Apple.

But I guess there'll be no other choice if one really wants to actually produce content with the tablet device.
    In terms of out of the box apps, you may be right. That's one thing that tips me towards Mac rather than Windows-- better value out of the box. And Steve Jobs was clear today that content creation / humanities/arts is a vital role for the iPad, he doesn't want it to merely be a touch screen PC.

And you're right-- availability of apps that consumers really want will make or break the TouchPad in the long term.

But having used an iPad for a year now, for *my* personal preferences, I don't have a great deal of interest in creating content on the iPad. I still prefer to use a PC / Mac for any kind of real content creation. For me this means graphic design and photo editing. I don't see the iPad being useful in a *professional* sense for those things anytime soon-- though it is good for sketching as well as presenting visuals to clients, etc.

So since I opt to use a tablet device for content *consumption*, things like user interface and availability of things like Flash make a bigger difference. It also has to do with plans to continue using WebOS-based phones, which will interface with a TouchPad in ways that, at least for now, the iPhone does not interface with the iPad. We'll see what iOS 5 and iPhone 5 bring (if iOS 5 even comes this year).