View Poll Results: Who Will Be Getting The iPad 2?

Voters
268. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

53 19.78%
  • No

78 29.10%
  • Hold Out for HP TouchPad

137 51.12%
Page 20 of 43 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920212223242530 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I completely agree that, as always, someone will come along Apple one day - I just can't see it this year on the information we have.

To be fair, plans change. HP planned to be competitive in the tablet market in 2011, and now.....
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    They just hired the WebOS notifications guru, and this is exactly the sort of thing that would set iOS 5 apart.

As for main screen, I find it dull as well, but I'm not seeing where the TouchPad improves on this. Cards are more exciting?
    For whatever reason, yeah...I find the WebOS main screen far more appealing to my eye. You talked earlier about aesthetics and how Apple does that well. I hate the look of the home screen. Nothing but Icons lining it, four icons on an oversized looking dock.

I want one or the other...either give me an absolute clean slate where my background is pretty much fully inview and nothing is cluttering it or give me some eye catching clutter. With the clear slate, it is very inviting to me...you usually get a nice view of your wall paper and the open space just seems like its calling for you to start throwing applications onto it. With a buy thing, like multiple cards or Android widgets, then I feel like my home screen is at least showing me something and is active.

Even on WebOS I sometimes use the cards in card view to get a quick look at information. Sometimes when typing an email I'll swipe over to a webpage I have loaded to check some text without actually going INTO the webpage. I can imagine that being even better on the large screen of the TouchPad, and in pictures I find the desktop FAR more appealing of the TouchPad than iOS.

Launchers, to me, are visually rather boring. They're a necessity, not something I like. Having that as my default screen is boring and not appealing to the eye.

As far as notifications, I do hope you're right. I was kind of hoping iOS 5 was announced here but I figure it should be announced within the next 3 to 4 months most likely. If they deliver on some kind of better notifications system and add in swipes to change applications that'd definitely be a big improvement in my mind. If they add customization of the home screen and/or a more elegant multi-tasking interface then it will likely make it a no brainer for me.

When it comes to the OS though, I've learned not to get my hopes up for what they'll announce.
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    To be fair, plans change. HP planned to be competitive in the tablet market in 2011, and now.....

... they dont plan to be...

Glad thats clear!
    Ħ╬čųβΔ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    And everything else aside, this is still the iPad's best feature. True, pure, unconstrained internet. You don't even have to THINK of where a charger might be.
    Umm... unconstrained internet is NOT a feature of the iPad since half the internet is unavailable to the iPad.
    I dunno...the sales of iOS devices kind of indicate that nobody really cares about the lack of Flash. Especially since there are options for web development that allow your site to be viewable across everything from a Xoom to an iPad to a Pre Plus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Umm... unconstrained internet is NOT a feature of the iPad since half the internet is unavailable to the iPad.
    Wrong.
    Oh come on, the Flash argument is a red herring and you know it.

You can beat that dead horse all you want to, but it doesn't change the fact that the consumers are saying "Flash on mobile devices is irrelevant.."

Don't believe me? The 200 + million iOS users back my claim. (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch.)

Flash on mobile/tablet is a dead duck.
    Since nearly every site I use out there defaults to an iPad/Mobile/No Flash version, you would be wrong.

I surf on a computer browser with flash turned off all day, toggling over to another browser for when I need flash.

And I encounter flash errors for content all day long.

But when I surf on my iPad, I nearly never have flash errors. Sites have changed - they have always been built to accommodate different specs (remember when ie and netscape had different tag requirements?).

And they've simply adapted to mobile devices. Maybe you should too!?
    Yeah, I don't even have Flash installed on my MacBook Pro. I just hop over to a Windows machine the few times I've needed it (thank you worldstarhiphop and TMZ).
    Since nearly every site I use out there defaults to an iPad/Mobile/No Flash version, you would be wrong.

I surf on a computer browser with flash turned off all day, toggling over to another browser for when I need flash.

And I encounter flash errors for content all day long.

But when I surf on my iPad, I nearly never have flash errors. Sites have changed - they have always been built to accommodate different specs (remember when ie and netscape had different tag requirements?).

And they've simply adapted to mobile devices. Maybe you should too!?
    He/She won't. It's the same song, same dance.

It's nonsense.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I read this comment a lot. What would you want instead of a boring ugly row of icons?
    Honestly if I had my way....

I'd steal a bit from Android and change the way iOS works a bit. Instead of swiping all the way to the left to get to Search I'd want it so that if you swipe DOWN from any of the application pages it would take you to search. If you swipe UP it would take you to a blank screen that includes only a dock.

On that screen you could place a variety of widgets. Open it up to developers to create stand alone widgets or ones that work with their programs.

Finally, have an option in settings that would allow you to choose to have the home button to the application page or to the widget page.

So for people who like to have their Launcher as a home screen, they could keep the default settings and simply have the option of swiping up to see widgets. For people who want a more interactive home screen (or even a blank home screen) they could set it to start on the widget page and swipe down once to get to their applications.

Hell, I'll even suggest this in an "Apple" type of way. They could make it so initially you only have one widget screen. At their new upgrade they could change it to where you could swipe left or right (like with applications) to get more widget screens.

Honestly, I don't mind theft of a good idea. One of the reasons I liked PocketPC over the PalmOS was because of the useful base home screen. If it leads to a better product, I don't care if Apple steals the widget idea. Similarly, I like webOS's multitasking and would have no issue...and would be happy...if Apple changed it so dual presses of the home button brought up a coverflow like interface of actual live applications rather than icons to create a more "card like" multi-tasking.

I'd rather a company copy and derive things from someone else to make a better product then stubbernly refuse to for fear of "copying".
    Good thoughts, Zyphlin. I am anti widget myself (it would make me psycho trying to arrange them all even and neat in size) but I get some of your points.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    I'd still rather have a TouchPad.

The real draw of the iPad is some of the apps-- Garage Band was pretty impressive, along with iMovie.

But personally-- I've used an iPad from day 1, and I'm tired of it's crappy multitasking (which, aside from allowing some apps to run in the background, isn't really multitasking at all IMO), clunky notification system and less than slick UI. Sure, everything looks good and it's polished... but navigating on WebOS is SO much more natural and fluid.

Plus, the TouchPad *should* have Flash. May not matter to some, but I'd rather have the option of using Flash, and I think WebOS has a nice solution for giving us that choice.
  14. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Has WebOS 3.0 even caught up to iOS on the iPad 1 in terms of speed yet, tho?
    Definitely unfinished WebOS 3.0 looked on par with iPad1 / IOs on speed.
    Just a doubt: why mac**** come to discuss in PreCentral? Serious... I... just don't understand...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Flash isn't really the huge selling point it once was. Android and RIM do it too on their tablets.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I've never seen iPad lag like some of those TouchPad demonstrations, unfortunately.
    I never had my iPad email app pulse unresponsively on screen when trying to reply to an email like I saw repeatedly with the TouchPad hands on video posted at Engadget last month. Not exactly "on par" unless you're squinting really hard.
    Really? With all the lag in the current iteration of webOS 3.0? There is still work to be done there and for that reason I'm glad they are waiting until summer. They need the time to finish baking the OS along with other things.
    Last edited by taharka; 03/02/2011 at 02:51 PM.
  20. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rumz View Post
    I'd still rather have a TouchPad.

The real draw of the iPad is some of the apps-- Garage Band was pretty impressive, along with iMovie.
    Editing movies on iPad ? I guess Mac is better.

But personally-- I've used an iPad from day 1, and I'm tired of it's crappy multitasking (which, aside from allowing some apps to run in the background, isn't really multitasking at all IMO), clunky notification system and less than slick UI. Sure, everything looks good and it's polished... but navigating on WebOS is SO much more natural and fluid.
    Totally Agree

Plus, the TouchPad *should* have Flash. May not matter to some, but I'd rather have the option of using Flash, and I think WebOS has a nice solution for giving us that choice.
    Please remember Apple cannot support Flash because Flash is a resource hog, even with a dual core chip and good memory.