View Poll Results: Who Will Be Getting The iPad 2?

Voters
268. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    53 19.78%
  • No

    78 29.10%
  • Hold Out for HP TouchPad

    137 51.12%
Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 860
Like Tree30Likes
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    I know how long webOS has been out. So what is the current state of webOS?Or is that just your opinion with nothing to back it up?
    You serious? The current state is what us as users see. Like i said, if there is optimization past that...great.

    I made my comment based on what we now see on android and WebOS.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    You serious? The current state is what us as users see. Like i said, if there is optimization past that...great.

    I made my comment based on what we now see on android and WebOS.
    Deadly serious. I as a user, see my Pre plus running 1.4.5 with equal battery life to a 3gs running i4. So if topaz is similarly specced to the ipad shouldn't it be achieving similar battery life, even without optimisation?
  3. #23  
    I'm guessing you never used an iPhone 4...?

    iPhone 4 is in the number 1 slot right now for battery life. WebOS does not come near it. My evo has better battery life than my Pre did.

    But hey, if you are happy with your battery life then don't let me bother you. I think the Pre was passable...but far from great, let alone good. Feel free to search the web for reviews trashing the battery life of the Pre but praising the battery life of the iPhone 4.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    I'm guessing you never used an iPhone 4...?

    iPhone 4 is in the number 1 slot right now for battery life. WebOS does not come near it. My evo has better battery life than my Pre did.

    But hey, if you are happy with your battery life then don't let me bother you. I think the Pre was passable...but far from great, let alone good.
    No I've used one and have been impressed with its battery life. But the specs of the 3gs are more on par with the pre plus.
    And if I'm not wrong the ipad was launched before the iphone 4. So should it be that the ipad is working off inards that beter represent the 3gs than the i4? So shouldn't the 3gs' batt life on ios4 be the one to compare to the pre plus to try to guess the Topaz batt life.

    Either way its pretty much all redundant because there is far too many factors which stop us from predicting the Topaz batt life. I just merely wanted to point out that you made your original statement without qualifying it what so ever, where in actual fact HP could get some good batt life into the Topaz.
  5. #25  
    The iPad uses the same CPU as the iPhone 4 (though its rumored the iPhone 4 is down clocked a bit to save on battery).
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    The iPad uses the same CPU as the iPhone 4 (though its rumored the iPhone 4 is down clocked a bit to save on battery).
    Wow that's the best you can come up with in your defence. I'm glad your not my lawyer.

    Shall we just debunk what's been said about the Topaz batt life until at least the device is demoed?
    Last edited by pip smith; 01/25/2011 at 02:49 PM.
  7. #27  
    1. What defense? I'm correcting YOUR mistake. You're welcome? Further more you can't just try to guess battery life based on CPU specs in the first place. Much of it has to do with optimization of the software.

    2. When did I even begin to guess the battery life of the WebOS tablet? Show me when I did that and I'll gladly draw up a defense.


    You are getting way to defensive...relax, Palm isn't your Father or your Mother.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    1. What defense? I'm correcting YOUR mistake. You're welcome? Further more you can't just try to guess battery life based on CPU specs in the first place. Much of it has to do with optimization of the software.
    My mistake? Where did I say the cpus were different? My statement was to say that the innards of the ipad are better compared to the 3gs than the i4, there's a lot more to the inner workings than just a cpu.

    2. When did I even begin to guess the battery life of the WebOS tablet? Show me when I did that and I'll gladly draw up a defense.
    Your original statement says that you agree that the webOS tablet will not be able to have equal battery life to the ipad. You are therefore guessing (assuming) that Topaz will have <8 hours of battery life. Now can I have your defence.

    You are getting way to defensive...relax, Palm isn't your Father or your Mother.
    Please point to me where I have been defensive. I don't care about brands, they are just logos and names, I care more about what something does for me. I am however on the offence because I would like to point out that you have made a statement that you court as fact without providing any evidence to qualify said statement.
    Also you may notice that at the end of my last post I was trying to bring the discussion to its natural conclusion but you chose to ignore that.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    My mistake? Where did I say the cpus were different? My statement was to say that the innards of the ipad are better compared to the 3gs than the i4, there's a lot more to the inner workings than just a cpu.
    Like what?
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Like what?
    gpu, memory components, screen design etc

    I'm sure your favourite search engine will be able to help if you want to find out more.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    gpu, memory components, screen design etc

    I'm sure your favourite search engine will be able to help if you want to find out more.
    By that criteria, how does the iPad has more in common with the iPhone 3GS than it does with the iPhone 4?
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    By that criteria, how does the iPad has more in common with the iPhone 3GS than it does with the iPhone 4?
    I guess someone was always going to detract from the purpose of the actual discussion. Oh well.

    I was saying that because the 3gs was out before the ipad and the ipad out before the i4. Isn't it reasonable to draw a better comparison by using a product that was likely considered during the design phase of the ipad. The i4 was still a developing and immature tech at the time of the ipad design, so likely wasn't the greatest contributing factor.
    However if that does not sound reasonable to you, then I encourage you to find some evidence so that I can be better educated.
    But as for now, I am in a different discussion and haven't the time to start a new one.

    Edit: If you'd like to contribute to the actual discussion then I'm sure Brain will agree that your perfectly welcome to.
    Last edited by pip smith; 01/25/2011 at 06:36 PM.
  13. #33  
    That isn't a better comparison because the iPad has more in common with the iPhone 4, internally, than it does the iPhone 3GS. Brain Mantis has already made that point but you seemed to disagree with it and I'm just trying to figure out why.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    That isn't a better comparison because the iPad has more in common with the iPhone 4, internally, than it does the iPhone 3GS.
    That's a pretty strong and definitive claim. Have you some conclusive proof to back up that claim?

    As for why, well an old personal tutor of mine always said, don't believe anything until its proven.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    That's a pretty strong and definitive claim. Have you some conclusive proof to back up that claim?
    As Brain Mantis pointed out, the iPad and the iPhone 4 both use the same SoC. Everything from clock cycles to the memory controller to graphics performance to power management either runs through or is directly influenced by the A4.

    The A4 also has a 64-bit memory bus -- another key difference between the iPad and the iPhone 3GS.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    As Brain Mantis pointed out, the iPad and the iPhone 4 both use the same SoC. Everything from clock cycles to the memory controller to graphics performance to power management either runs through or is directly influenced by the A4.

    The A4 also has a 64-bit memory bus -- another key difference between the iPad and the iPhone 3GS.
    That's all very nice, but its far from anything conclusive. You didnt even claim what the 3gs uses. Let alone provide any evidence for all those claims.

    Anyway, unlike some, I'm not interested in arguing for the sake of arguing. I think we should all just accept this statement
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    Either way its pretty much all redundant because there is far too many factors which stop us from predicting the Topaz batt life. I just merely wanted to point out that you made your original statement without qualifying it what so ever, where in actual fact HP could get some good batt life into the Topaz.
    And we should just chill intul feb 9th and then maybe we can have something to discuss about the Topaz's battery life.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    That's all very nice, but its far from anything conclusive. You didnt even claim what the 3gs uses. Let alone provide any evidence for all those claims.
    Well, like you said earlier:

    I'm sure your favourite search engine will be able to help if you want to find out more.
    The iPhone and iPad's internals aren't a secret. But it doesn't seem like there's much I can say to convince you that a device's SoC is actually a pretty important component.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Well, like you said earlier:



    The iPhone and iPad's internals aren't a secret. But it doesn't seem like there's much I can say to convince you that a device's SoC is actually a pretty important component.
    No, you made a very strong claim and now your failing to provide qdequate proof for that claim, so therefore I simply cannot believe the claim.
    You can always convince me by providing the relevant argument, proof and evidence to support your claims but I think there's little chance of that happening.

    Anyway, I must be honest, I'm not exactly that interested in what is actually inside the ipad, I'm more interested in how long the Topaz and Playbook's battery life are. So please excuse me if I ignore your attempts to detract from the original discussion.
  19. #39  
    Uh, dude, you're the one who made this argument:

    Deadly serious. I as a user, see my Pre plus running 1.4.5 with equal battery life to a 3gs running i4. So if topaz is similarly specced to the ipad shouldn't it be achieving similar battery life, even without optimisation?
    But the specs of the 3gs are more on par with the pre plus.
    And if I'm not wrong the ipad was launched before the iphone 4. So should it be that the ipad is working off inards that beter represent the 3gs than the i4? So shouldn't the 3gs' batt life on ios4 be the one to compare to the pre plus to try to guess the Topaz batt life.
    Brain Mantis and I were just trying to explain why that's not the case.
  20. #40  
    Nappy, i gave up haha.

    Can't argue with someone who won't listen.
Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions