View Poll Results: Who Will Be Getting The iPad 2?

Voters
268. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

53 19.78%
  • No

78 29.10%
  • Hold Out for HP TouchPad

137 51.12%
Page 19 of 43 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819202122232429 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
  1. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schlk21 View Post
    Clock speed barely means anything
    So what would be important for a CPU ? Battery life ? From what I heard Touchpad has the same 9 plus hours battery life.
    First iPad now selling for $399.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    The sad fact is I'd pay probably close to $1000 for a tablet that had WebOS as the baseline OS but had the iPad2's build, ecosystem, and app catalog.

Seriously, its so hard to get past the iOS, especially on a tablet. All that screen real-estate and you just got the boring ugly row of Icons. I love the size and scope of their app calatog. I absolutely am envious of the ecosystem and ability of it with itunes, airplay, etc. The metal body instead of plastic while remaining even lighter than its competitors and thin is great. The screens are beautiful and cameras are done right. But their OS just drives me bonkers with inelegant multi-tasking, crappy notifications, and just ugly and useless main screen.

Its just hard to justify waiting 3 to 5 more months, potentially spending more money, and having less apps, less of an ecosystem, less accessories, and lower build quality to purchase something simply becuase it has a superior base OS.
    Here's the thing.

Which is more likely to get corrected in the foreseeable future?

Apple adding more customization options and better notifications OR the competition doing all of that other stuff?
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Here's the thing.

Which is more likely to get corrected in the foreseeable future?

Apple adding more customization options and better notifications OR the competition doing all of that other stuff?
    ...considering full multi-tasking and notifacations have been complaints since day one and it took them almost 4 interations to even start doing the first one (and doing it poorly) and they're not close to the second...

I'd say wash?
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    If only there were a way to root an ipad and install webOS on it...
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    1.3 lbs. That's 1/3 of a pound LESS than the TouchPad.
    Oh, come on.. lets get real.

.3 of a lb more on the TP is not going to give anyone a hernia.

At some point, users will want a device that has some weight to give it a substantial feel, as well.

Im more impressed with thier battery life claims, against all of the spec bumps they incorporated. If that's a realism, and not an idealistic number (10 hours), thats some good engineering.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    So what would be important for a CPU ? Battery life ? From what I heard Touchpad has the same 9 plus hours battery life.
    I heard 8, and that's just the in-the-lab claim. Apple is knocking down 10 hours in real world battery life.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Numbers don't mean everything. The CPU in the Touch Pad is weaker. A5 is based on a much better CPU. Snapdragon isn't the greatest of processors. HP would have been much wiser sticking to the much more powerful TI OMAP CPU.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    You know what's funny about that thinner selling points. Looking at the two designs it seems like they intentionally made the first iPad thicker so they could use "thinner" as a selling point for the iPad 2 this year...
    Go watch the video linked earlier in this thread - they explain how they were able to make it thinner.

... or you could believe Apple is so far ahead of the competition that they can afford to play games like the one you're describing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackbone View Post
    I don't either. However, on the tablet front, they have a great product, lower priced than the rest of the competition, and it's shipping in a week and a half.
    Great product? ahh.. meh. an oversized touch, then sure.
    prices ya, well, after the article that they're buying supply and demand to control pricing, i guess they could do that

and yes i give them credit they know how to get it to market quick. but they planned for that. they didn't have to go through all this stuff that sets them back.
    and when there are small incremental changes to be made, it's a lot easier as well
    ...considering full multi-tasking and notifacations have been complaints since day one and it took them almost 4 interations to even start doing the first one (and doing it poorly) and they're not close to the second...

I'd say wash?
    They just hired the WebOS notifications guru, and this is exactly the sort of thing that would set iOS 5 apart.

As for main screen, I find it dull as well, but I'm not seeing where the TouchPad improves on this. Cards are more exciting?

Almost forgot: You can correct some of this now by jailbreaking and installing MobileNotifier and/or some other Cydia apps.

I don't see a homebrew solution to give HP the Apple content ecosystem.
    Although the iPad2 CPU isn't as fast, the cash register CPU had better be able to run dramatically faster.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 03/02/2011 at 02:43 PM.
    By the time this Touchpad will be out - it'll be a niche product whilst Apple will be selling around 40 Million probably from their pad this year...that is the story...
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post

At some point, users will want a device that has some weight to give it a substantial feel, as well.

Im more impressed with thier battery life claims, against all of the spec bumps they incorporated. If that's a realism, and not an idealistic number (10 hours), thats some good engineering.

One of the common complaints I heard about the iPad1 was that the size of it made something like holding it up and reading it while in bed uncomfortable for long instances. I heard a whole long discussion about how the Galaxy Tab was aimed more at "mobility" because it was smaller and lighter and easier to move around where as you always see people sitting down in iPad commercials and having it resting somewhere because of its size.

.3 pounds and a bit of thickness being removed may not seem like a lot, but for the ebook crowd it may actually be a definite bonus.

I'd say wash?
    Wash eh? Comparing HP's tablet offering to Apple's it's clear than one of the two certainly took a bath today.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post

My 1st gen iPad easily goes that long. And the standby figures aren't exaggerated either. I use mine pretty regularly, and have to charge about once every 2-3 weeks.
    Seriously, its so hard to get past the iOS, especially on a tablet. All that screen real-estate and you just got the boring ugly row of Icons.

I read this comment a lot. What would you want instead of a boring ugly row of icons?

Maybe I am not creative enough, but I can't envision a solution - that looked good out of the box - that would be appealing. Can you?

"Stacks" is intriguing - but have 20 rows of "stacks" (akimbo, the way you see them in mock ups) would look sloppy.

Notion Adam Ink tried that ribbon of apps that scrolls over the middle of the screen. Silly - useful when you are using it, but obtrusive and annoying when not.

Giving people the ability to make different size icons? Jumbled looking. (not to mention, one more thing people have to do, to customize, that brings very little pay off at the end of the day).

Drag them all in a folder, and call it a day, I say. (Which is what I do.)
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    This article gives a good comparison of the specs between the iPad 2, TouchPad, Xoom, and PlayBook.
    "Visits? Well that would indicate visitors."
    "Future events such as these will affect you in the future."
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackbone View Post
    My 1st gen iPad easily goes that long. And the standby figures aren't exaggerated either. I use mine pretty regularly, and have to charge about once every 2-3 weeks.
    And everything else aside, this is still the iPad's best feature. True, pure, unconstrained internet. You don't even have to THINK of where a charger might be.
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I completely agree that, as always, someone will come along and beat Apple one day - I just can't see it this year on the information we have.

Last edited by CGK; 03/02/2011 at 02:12 PM.