View Poll Results: Who Will Be Getting The iPad 2?

Voters
268. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

53 19.78%
  • No

78 29.10%
  • Hold Out for HP TouchPad

137 51.12%
Page 16 of 43 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021 26 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by aapold View Post
    No. and you and I know that webOS has unique features, but explaining that part out is difficult. I'm not sure what HP could leverage to really make it stand out, what, have a printer built into the top of it? </sarcasm>

It just right now what they're doing now seems so pointless from a marketing standpoint.

As I said above I hate apple with a passion (it stems from my days in a commodore 64 club in the early 80s) and can't see myself ever buying their stuff.

But I know if I round up a dozen of my friends and show them both's spiel not one of them would get the touchpad even if they could.
    I think that last part is a lie. I had a presentation over webOS in one of my professional tech speech classes last week and everyone was asking me about webOS afterwards.

I think the market will become saturated with tablets and have plenty of opportunity for other companies and prices are going to become so much lower than they are now. It might take a while but I think the market will be more equal in a few years.
    Sprint Love
    He mad.

Especially since Apple barely mentioned their competitors. The whole thing was just "this is what we have, it's real, and it's available next week."
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    We don't know the price of the TouchPad and any bull**** rumour that comes from some techblog doesn't sway me at all. HP will need to price match Apple. THey do have the scale in order to make pricing competitive.
    Not in the tablet space, they don't. No one does as of yet. You think HP is going to ship 6 million Touchpads at launch just to try and get volume pricing somewhere in the same ballpark as Apple? If so, I look forward to picking one up a few months later for $300 from one of the stores blowing it out.

Apple was the first mover. They of course were able to ship version 2 before most people get version 1 because it's easier to go from 1.0 to 2.0 than from 0.0 to 1.0. Next year, we'll be seeing TouchPad 2 and the likes. If people want a competitive product to the iPad, HP needs to release this summer. If HP would have released and the iPad was coming out the same month, we'd hear "Man! HP is screwed! iPad 2 is coming out the same month as the Touchpad!!!"

Your requirements are not able to be met by anyone other than Apple. It's not logical nor is it consistant.
    You're missing the point. Apple is merely meeting its own 12 month refresh cycle. HP isn't even matching that, and from all indications, they aren't even at .9, much less 1.0. No one is really at 1.0 yet, despite having been trying since last year.

And when TouchPad 2 launches, Apple will have enjoyed almost 24 months of complete dominance in this space along with an app and content ecosystem that likely cannot be equaled. That is the problem.
    How does this make any sense? Why is the TouchPad going to be a "bargain basement price" when it's released 3-6 months after the iPad 2? Are the specs going to be worse? There is a whole lot of stupidity being posted in this thread. The TouchPad needs to be competitively priced with the iPad. Spec wise it is competitive. Some of the stupidity is astounding. People want the TouchPad to out spec, out battery life, and out everything the iPad when Apple is spending millions of dollars to billions on technology just as HP is. You're never going to see that. Quit being daft.
    The elephant in the room here is the TouchPad isn't competitive with the iPad in the way that really matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    Do you REALLY believe that the Apple have milions of IPads 2 to 26 countries?

I believe that have just some thousands now...
    According to the same rumor mills that predicted many of today's announced features, the iPad2 has been in full production since at least early Feb (Link). Since Apple already has been producing over 3 million iPads each month, there are probably already millions of the new ones available.

Well for starters I think the Xoom might want to have a word with them about that last line...
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Not in the tablet space, they don't. No one does as of yet. You think HP is going to ship 6 million Touchpads at launch just to try and get volume pricing somewhere in the same ballpark as Apple? If so, I look forward to picking one up a few months later for $300 from one of the stores blowing it out.

You're missing the point. Apple is merely meeting its own 12 month refresh cycle. HP isn't even matching that, and from all indications, they aren't even at .9, much less 1.0. No one is really at 1.0 yet, despite having been trying since last year.

And when TouchPad 2 launches, Apple will have enjoyed almost 24 months of complete dominance in this space along with an app and content ecosystem that likely cannot be equaled. That is the problem.
    This is just wrong. The TouchPad is competitive with the iPad 2. When the TouchPad 2 launches, I'm willing to bet it will be competitive with the iPad 3. HP is expecting to ship millions of webOS devices. We don't know the breakdown. HP orders parts in the millions as apart of their PC business. That gives them the ability to get pricing as a part of a package with other product. This isn't complicated.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    The elephant in the room here is the TouchPad isn't competitive with the iPad in the way that really matters.
    Yes. It's more than competitive because it offers a better mobile OS.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I'm waiting for the "Oh one more thing" but not sure if it'll happen.

I was kind of hoping for a substantial OS upgrade at this announcement but I guess that will come a little later as we get closer to the iPhone 5's announcement.

I want finger swiping between applications. And god, would someone slap Jobs and convince him to use a cover-flow like multi-tasking feature. They can sooth his ego by tricking him into thinking its not ripping off the competition because its just an evolution of coverflow.
    Global Posts
    832 Global Posts
    The A5 is an ARM chip but typically they won't tell us what speed it is. We know its dual core and I'm sure everything is snappy so why tell us? Translation it is slower than other chips but that doesn't matter, and since they won't tell us we can't use it on a chart against them.
    It's all relative terms, 'volume', so they can say whatever and not get yelled at for it. This volume is bigger than this volume so we're the first even though we weren't.
    Sprint Love
    <<thread moved to proper forum>>
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    it's available next week."
    I wish I was in the market for an iPad. After all of the "coming months" and summer 2011, those four words sound like frickin' magic.

nnb
    I heard the same thing about the Pre and the Pixi and the Pre 2...
    The A5 is an ARM chip but typically they won't tell us what speed it is. We know its dual core and I'm sure everything is snappy so why tell us? Translation it is slower than other chips but that doesn't matter, and since they won't tell us we can't use it on a chart against them.
    Consumers don't care what the actual speeds are, as long as it says Apple + Dual-Core + Shiny = zombies who will buy.
    Sprint Love
    BTW, who here wants to bet that the TouchPad's battery won't (in real world use) last as long as the Ipad 2's? Palm, Android phones have not yet matched battery life of the iPhone in any phone of comparable size.
    Pre 2's chip is faster than iPhone 3g, but iPhone 3G OS is definitely faster in real use than WebOS. THAT is what matters.
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    To do what with? people can talk about multi-tasking all day but what is it you plan to swipe?

We still have see nothing to suggest that HP or anyone else is going to present a competitive ecosystem and that's the heart of winning share.
    Quote Originally Posted by H-Cubed View Post
    Apple iOS 4.3 coming March 11 with iPad 2, includes new AirPlay features and FaceTime -- Engadget

When you decide to have your own conference you make arrangements for pricing, release date and carriers.

Not of this "Coming soon we will have a great product" stuff! I am not planning on getting a tablet but things like this just further solidify the reason as to why I am considering moving to another platform. Even tho I love WebOS.
    I couldn't agree more!

After buying an iPod, I seriously would consider switching to the iPhone if it ever hit Sprint. Yes, there are features of webOS that handle things much better (multi-tasking), but overall, the whole OS was very well thought out and extremely smooth. And apps...my word...
    Apple is already working on iPad 3, while HP has still to bring to the market first generation TouchPad.