View Poll Results: Who Will Be Getting The iPad 2?

Voters
268. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

53 19.78%
  • No

78 29.10%
  • Hold Out for HP TouchPad

137 51.12%
Page 10 of 43 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
    I wouldn't say game over but if in fact iPad price start at $400, it will be really tough for the competitors. Why would want to pay more for a tablet that does have any apps? By the time other tablets get some decent apps, there will be a rumor for ipad3. I guess only apple haters are going to pay more to get different tablets.

Sent from Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    it means nothing to me
    Lovely. But I suspect you're wrong about that. If you love WebOS to the exclusion of all else, this would affect you a great deal. It would potentially force HP to postpone or cancel the TP, or force them to reduce features and functionality to cut cost, or make so little money on the project that it is not worth doing, or something. What Apple does tomorrow WIL affect you, like it or not.

You can't afford to pretend Apple doesn't matter. They are driving this entire industry. I assure you, when the pilot of the plane sneezes, that could have grave repercussions for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Lovely. But I suspect you're wrong about that. If you love WebOS to the exclusion of all else, this would affect you a great deal. It would potentially force HP to postpone or cancel the TP, or force them to reduce features and functionality to cut cost, or make so little money on the project that it is not worth doing, or something. What Apple does tomorrow WIL affect you, like it or not.

You can't afford to pretend Apple doesn't matter. They are driving this entire industry. I assure you, when the pilot of the plane sneezes, that could have grave repercussions for you.
    "What Apple does tomorrow WILL affect you, like it or not." Really??

What if he's not buying a tablet? What if he already has a tablet and isn't planning on buying another one? What if HP decides this is a very important market for them and decides to go ahead and take a loss to get a foot hold? What if Apple is actually doing the same to make sure they keep their dominance?
    Last edited by GMoney749; 03/01/2011 at 09:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    "What if HP decides this is a very important market for them and decides to go ahead and take a loss to get a foot hold?
    HP needs to do something to get a foot hold, and this seems like the easiest way to do it. HP won't make all their money from one device anyway. They need people to buy into the webOS ecosystem. Selling a hot commodity cheap will get people into webOS, which opens the door for smartphone purchases and even webOS desktop/laptop purchases.

If Apple sells the iPad 2 at $399, HP must match or beat that price.

Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Interesting. I saw and frankly don't understand 4% market share = 51% industry's profit. I'm familiar with Canalys report though.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    Interesting. I saw and frankly don't understand 4% market share = 51% industry's profit. I'm familiar with Canalys report though.
    What's not to understand? Apple is able to combine low cost in production and shipping with high-priced, premium devices. Or are you saying you don't understand how Apple is able to get people to pay the prices they charge? One word: Value. You don't just buy a phone when you buy an iPhone, you get an established, comprehensive, useful, responsive ecosystem too. Apparently, a lot of people have realized this ... and few, if any other companies can approach it.

Posts like THIS are just plain rhetoric and proof of the far reach of extreme Apple "phan-aticism" (a word form a recent post of YOURs, BTW), run amuck; again, you are drinking way too much of that fruit flavored "koolaid".

Apple is a great and innovative company... lets not allow my post here to be misinterpretted, ok, but, they aren't "deity", man, really!

When I said "game over" in my post above, I didnt, in the farthest reaches of possiblities, think their compeititors like HP would be so scared that they'd cancel thier entries into it - are you serious? They will try REALLY hard to compete, including HP, I just don't think they will be able to compete with a $399 iPad2 that has those leaked specs and performs accordingly well. I think that the Apple momentum will win a majority of the market, as a result. Thats just logical.

They just won't likely get a significant piece of the pie, and will, accordingly make much smaller profits than they hoped for, but to cancel the TP???..

LOL

That's really, REALLY not pragmatic or even close to being a scenario that will play out, in this business world.
    Last edited by LCGuy; 03/02/2011 at 08:28 AM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

I think you missed my point. I don't drink that much Kool-aid. You should be more worried about the people drinking too much H8tr-aid. (Hope I got that right).

To pretend that what Apple announces today doesn't matter is just plain nuts regardless of who you a rooting for. That's all I was really trying to say.
    I think you missed my point. I don't drink that much Kool-aid. You should be more worried about the people drinking too much H8tr-aid. (Hope I got that right).

To pretend that what Apple announces today doesn't matter is just plain nuts regardless of who you a rooting for. That's all I was really trying to say.
    No, I didn't miss your point - your post was quite clear, and, - most, if not all who read it would likely see it as you parading Apple around as "untouchable, so why even bother competing".

I don't see anyone "pretending" anything. The poster you responded to said it didnt make any difference to him, and, it probably wouldn't, but, you chimed in with this post of yours, and, come on, it just seems like you are on their payroll.

Seriously.

Not kidding.

Really.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

According to the Street, the iPad 2 could start at $399. I'm not sure if it has to be the iPad 2, or just the original. At $399, I believe it is game over for the competition for at least another year. None of the major players can come close to that. I believe they are already doing the best they can, and are still higher than the iPad.

I realize this thread has a shelf-life of less than a day, but it is fun to speculate. I think they would have gone that low if they had any pressure from the competition on the price front. As it stands, $499 still makes them the low-price leader in the premium market if the rumored TP pricing holds.

So, what would happen. Does Moto, Sammy, and everyone else start a price war? Can they? Does HP make any changes to meet the price? What could they change at this point? I think RIM would be least affected, as their offering seems more like an accessory to BB phones. Those who want to augment their BB experience would probably buy the PB regardless of price comparison.

For me, the difference would be that I would buy two on day one rather than the one I plan to buy. There is increasing reason to believe that it will be available immediately. The iPad channel is drying up fast. That also suggests that they will not be continuing the original as a low-end offering as they are clearing the channel.

Thoughts?

Apple's iPad 2: The Price Is Right - TheStreet
    I think if the ipad is reduced to $399 range, i dont think the TP need to be that price or lower, it can go for the current price or comparable to the ipad2, reason being, if i was comparing between the ipad and the TP, ill pick the TP over it based on features(primarily the front facing camera, and more-so if it comes w/ the likes of Skpe or some Gtalk love).

What would be awesome, would be if HP offers the TouchPad for some ridiculously low price for like 30 days or less as an introductory price/period and after that time frame go back to their original price point.
    I Imagine this could be a huge factor. It will drive up the cost (and likely the price) of competing devices and make it difficult for other manufacturers to meet demand. At the same time, it will lower apples costs, and allow them to control the low end market with their discounted ipad1's.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    It's a tremendous advantage to already know that you're going to sell something like 40 million iPads this year and more going forward because your suppliers can bank on it and go ahead and build the necessary factories.

Can HP tell you how many TouchPads they will need next year? I doubt it. If it's a flop then they won't need any. You can't afford to build a factory based on that kind of speculation so they will have to take whatever you can get to them without the increased capacity and hope that someone doesn't come along who is willing to pay more.
    I agree. OTOH, HP isn't exactly an obscure name in the hardware biz, so maybe that gives them more leverage than some other novice in the (current definition of the) tablet market.
    Well, if it is true that they're lowering the price on a brand new device, with a faster processor, two cameras and other enhancements, then Apple, the company that all the fans here say is untouchable and doesn't worry about what everybody else is doing, did so based on competition, right? Or are they just feeling generous? Or do we just ignore that aspect of the story because of the need to shout Apple from the rooftops at all times?

Once again, competition is good for everybody. Even a fool and his money.
    Last edited by GMoney749; 03/02/2011 at 12:25 PM.
    competition drives innvovation and in the end WE benefit. a 399 iPad would be a huge success to the people that want a tablet for some light email and browsing the web (ie older, less technologically inclined folk)
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    It's a tremendous advantage to already know that you're going to sell something like 40 million iPads this year and more going forward because your suppliers can bank on it and go ahead and build the necessary factories.

Can HP tell you how many TouchPads they will need next year? I doubt it. If it's a flop then they won't need any. You can't afford to build a factory based on that kind of speculation so they will have to take whatever you can get to them without the increased capacity and hope that someone doesn't come along who is willing to pay more.
    HP doesn't even know how many of their Windows-based Slate devices to build let alone a device that's still months away from a crowded marketplace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    HP doesn't even know how many of their Windows-based Slate devices to build let alone a device that's still months away from a crowded marketplace.
    I think the situation with that was that they didn't want to build Slates, but they probably had an obligation to release something, hence the 10,000 device release

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    I think the situation with that was that they didn't want to build Slates, but they probably had an obligation to release something, hence the 10,000 device release

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    That may or may not be the case now.

I think the point he was making, however, was that when the HP Slate was at the same pre-release point the TouchPad is now, they pretty much had the same intentions for it. Steve Ballmer was onstage at last year's CES talking about how awesome it was was for media consumption and e-Reading for mainstream consumers. We went from there to...here. That only underscores HP's inability to reliably set substantial sales expectations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garage91 View Post
    competition drives innvovation and in the end WE benefit. a 399 iPad would be a huge success to the people that want a tablet for some light email and browsing the web (ie older, less technologically inclined folk)
    Exactly. I've never understood how people who aren't employees and/or don't own stock get so excited about Apple's dominance in a market and how much money they're making. Just means you pay more.

I happened upon Jobs on the way to the bank the other day, we were both laughing.
    Ipad2 Specs:
    Dual Core
    Up to 2X faster CPU
    Up to 9X faster Graphics
    Same low power as A4
    First Dual core tablet to ship on volume
    And GyroScope

and 33% thinner than original.
    Comes in Black and White

How will HP answer this?