webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Other OS's and Devices > BB10 transition
BB10 transition
Like Tree11Likes

Old 07/04/2015, 03:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

I've picked up a Blackberry Z10 to try the waters as a replacement for my Pre3 and looking for some help.
Although the appearance isn't nearly as nice as webOS, the stability (I'd have multiple crashes a day) and full functionality (I can use the browser!!), plus the apps, is pushing me toward BB10.
I don't like the way the Calendar handles all day events. Since my Treo I would make all day events and later plug them into my schedule during the day, with BB10, they are almost lost at the top of the screen (I'll have between 5-12 a day). Is there an option or third party app that works better?
I have a bunch of Amazon coins and want to buy some apps, one app is in both Amazon and App World, the later being marked as for Blackberry. Will I notice a big difference between an Amazon and BB10 version of the same app? They have different version numbers, so it's not the same app re-packaged.
How do I ignore an autocorrect option on the space bar? I don't want to turn off the autocorrect, but sometimes I want the word I typed.
I don't like the Crackberry forums, they all seem to be fanboys or perpetual whiners. I'm ecstatic at the functionality of a phone again and everybody complaining gives me a headache. This community is still the best (I've been around since TreoCentral days!).
TIA
Old 07/05/2015, 12:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncot View Post
I've picked up a Blackberry Z10 to try the waters as a replacement for my Pre3 and looking for some help.
Although the appearance isn't nearly as nice as webOS, the stability (I'd have multiple crashes a day) and full functionality (I can use the browser!!), plus the apps, is pushing me toward BB10.
I don't like the way the Calendar handles all day events. Since my Treo I would make all day events and later plug them into my schedule during the day, with BB10, they are almost lost at the top of the screen (I'll have between 5-12 a day). Is there an option or third party app that works better?
I have a bunch of Amazon coins and want to buy some apps, one app is in both Amazon and App World, the later being marked as for Blackberry. Will I notice a big difference between an Amazon and BB10 version of the same app? They have different version numbers, so it's not the same app re-packaged.
How do I ignore an autocorrect option on the space bar? I don't want to turn off the autocorrect, but sometimes I want the word I typed.
I don't like the Crackberry forums, they all seem to be fanboys or perpetual whiners. I'm ecstatic at the functionality of a phone again and everybody complaining gives me a headache. This community is still the best (I've been around since TreoCentral days!).
TIA
I personally prefer Native apps whenever I can get them, although the Android run-time on BB10 isn't too bad (assuming you're on OS 10.3 and up).

To ignore the auto-correct option on the space-bar, swipe up on the space-bar (as if you were "flicking" in a suggested word on any other letter key).
viewtiful_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2015, 05:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Considering that blackberry might be moving to Android you might be replacing an abandoned phone OS with another abandoned phone OS. This forum seems to be not very active with just a handful of people still posting.
DWill22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2015, 05:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWill22 View Post
Considering that blackberry might be moving to Android you might be replacing an abandoned phone OS with another abandoned phone OS. This forum seems to be not very active with just a handful of people still posting.
You may be jumping the gun a bit there. There are rumors of an Android-powered BlackBerry handset, but they're just that, rumors. That, plus the fact that it's just a single handset, and not the entire line, means it's too early to speculate about the future of BB10, IMO.
Old 07/05/2015, 05:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

You really think it is a rumor? Considering how their marketshare has fallen to the point that even windows is ahead and their sales continue to decline. The only people I see with blackberry these days are old folks.
Old 07/05/2015, 05:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
You really think it is a rumor? Considering how their marketshare has fallen to the point that even windows is ahead and their sales continue to decline. The only people I see with blackberry these days are old folks.
As the Android handset has not been officially confirmed by a BlackBerry representative, it is, by definition, a rumor. So yes, I really think it is a rumor.

Even admitting that it is an incredibly plausible rumor, I still think the rumor by itself is not enough information to accurately predict the demise of the entire BB10 OS.
Old 07/05/2015, 05:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

BlackBerry is still actively developing BB10 so even if at some point down the road they were to discontinue support/new devices for the OS it would still be a viable choice for at least the next couple years especially with it's Android app support and developers (at CrackBerry) getting Google Play Services working on it.

Right now it's by far the most functional and appealing mainstream mobile OS so unless you absolutely need one of the half-dozen or so apps that still aren't working on BB10 there is no reason not to switch to it.
Old 07/05/2015, 07:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

I've been drooling over the Blackberry "Slider" (code named Venice). It looks like it could be the first acceptable replacement for my Pre 3. Recent rumors say that it may be running Android. Sheesh, I just can't win. I jumped on the OpenSolaris bandwagon and next thing I know Sun folds. Then I buy in on the Moxi DVR system and soon afterwards, they pull the plug. Then I buy into Palm and WebOS and we all know how that played out. So I moved onto Blackberry to check it out while I waited for the Slider running BB10. BB10 is no WebOS, but it is an acceptable alternative. I tried iOS and Android ans was less than pleased.

So, what products do you want killed? I can be hired at reasonable rates.
Old 07/05/2015, 08:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
I've been drooling over the Blackberry "Slider" (code named Venice). It looks like it could be the first acceptable replacement for my Pre 3. Recent rumors say that it may be running Android. Sheesh, I just can't win. I jumped on the OpenSolaris bandwagon and next thing I know Sun folds. Then I buy in on the Moxi DVR system and soon afterwards, they pull the plug. Then I buy into Palm and WebOS and we all know how that played out. So I moved onto Blackberry to check it out while I waited for the Slider running BB10. BB10 is no WebOS, but it is an acceptable alternative. I tried iOS and Android ans was less than pleased.

Any positions open at Samsung? I'd like to see their mobile business fold. :P
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by TJs11thPre likes this.
Old 07/05/2015, 08:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
Any positions open at Samsung? I'd like to see their mobile business fold. :P
At the moment, it's only bending, but things are edgy...

(Yes, I know I'm the only one laughing at this weak gag)
Thanked By: xandros9
Old 07/05/2015, 09:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

Wow, not sure what I started here!
I can't see Blackberry really thinking they can do better than LG or the other Android wanna be's with simply putting another skin on a phone. The dual BB10 and Android versions of the Venice makes sense, they sell BB10 to those interested and gain some sales with Android only people. I don't like IOS (having used it for work) and don't want Google knowing everything I do on my phone (I grew up under the 1984/Big Brother stuff), so they're out as options. I can see BB10 dying and the apps losing function someday, but right now its so far ahead of webOS, and if the Venice comes out with BB10, I will totally buy into the ecosystem.
Old 07/06/2015, 08:40 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggendel View Post

Holy moly! I'm now a "harbinger of failure" The Customers You Do Not Want - If these harbingers of failure love what you do, you are in trouble
Thanked By: TJs11thPre
Old 07/06/2015, 12:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

One thing to be wary of is that is kind of discussing mass market versus niche products.

It's possible for a niche product to be viable - luxury products are an obvious example.

Apple's emphasis on design made it the favourite of 'tastemakers' in the advertising and other creative industries and it has colonised the mass market from a point of being the 'classy' choice. They actually profit from their phones, which is why there's less focus on data-mining.
Old 07/09/2015, 04:11 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbosdell View Post
BlackBerry is still actively developing BB10 so even if at some point down the road they were to discontinue support/new devices for the OS it would still be a viable choice for at least the next couple years especially with it's Android app support and developers (at CrackBerry) getting Google Play Services working on it.

Right now it's by far the most functional and appealing mainstream mobile OS so unless you absolutely need one of the half-dozen or so apps that still aren't working on BB10 there is no reason not to switch to it.
Thanks. I'm actually considering a BB Q10 to replace my Pre-. I would have gotten the BB Classic, but Sprint doesn't carry it. I prefer a phone with a physical keyboard, and the large slabs are too big for me.
purplepansy is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by cbosdell likes this.
Old 07/09/2015, 05:33 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewtiful_jon View Post
You may be jumping the gun a bit there. There are rumors of an Android-powered BlackBerry handset, but they're just that, rumors. That, plus the fact that it's just a single handset, and not the entire line, means it's too early to speculate about the future of BB10, IMO.
BlackBerry

They should have done this a long time ago at much better terms but they always thought they could make it on their own. Same mistake Palm made.
Old 07/09/2015, 10:31 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
BlackBerry

They should have done this a long time ago at much better terms but they always thought they could make it on their own. Same mistake Palm made.
I guess it's easy enough to make this argument from a business perspective, but from a user perspective, I'm glad BlackBerry and Palm made their respective "mistakes." Both the OSes and hardware are excellent.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07/13/2015, 11:21 AM   #17 (permalink)

So, I'm making progress adapting to BB10 and enjoying it.
One app I'm challenged with is my finance. I had been using GlitchTech's Checkbook since 2010 and would like to keep the data. I bought the Android version but there's no search option.
I tried Moneywiz which could import from CSV, but it closes during import, both on the z10 and my CM TouchPad.
Anybody found a suitable replacement that can import CSV? I wouldn't mind having a native app for going forward, but would like to be able to access my old records without having to carry both phones. Two apps would be fine, not two phones.
Thanks,
Tom
Old 07/13/2015, 02:11 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
So, I'm making progress adapting to BB10 and enjoying it.
One app I'm challenged with is my finance. I had been using GlitchTech's Checkbook since 2010 and would like to keep the data. I bought the Android version but there's no search option.
I tried Moneywiz which could import from CSV, but it closes during import, both on the z10 and my CM TouchPad.
Anybody found a suitable replacement that can import CSV? I wouldn't mind having a native app for going forward, but would like to be able to access my old records without having to carry both phones. Two apps would be fine, not two phones.
Thanks,
Tom
I've never used it but "Checkbook Pro" has good reviews and mentions it can import and export CSV. You can email the author with specific questions. Considering his only other app is a "whack-a-mole" derivative, I'd definitely ask if a user's guide exists so you can peruse it as a minimum.
Old 07/13/2015, 11:36 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Wow, not sure what I started here!
I can't see Blackberry really thinking they can do better than LG or the other Android wanna be's with simply putting another skin on a phone. The dual BB10 and Android versions of the Venice makes sense, they sell BB10 to those interested and gain some sales with Android only people. I don't like IOS (having used it for work) and don't want Google knowing everything I do on my phone (I grew up under the 1984/Big Brother stuff), so they're out as options. I can see BB10 dying and the apps losing function someday, but right now its so far ahead of webOS, and if the Venice comes out with BB10, I will totally buy into the ecosystem.
I did go ahead and get a Sprint Q10 on Ebay which arrived today. I'll miss my Pre-. I had four of them, and one Pixi over the years. Posts from former WebOS users on WebOS Nation and Crackberry helped me with my decision. Thanks everyone.

I'm not gone from WebOS Nation though. I have a Touchpad that I use daily. The only issues I have with it are the "Can't Read Mime" problem and browser not able to display some pages. I'm still watching to see what LuneOS evolves into.
purplepansy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/14/2015, 06:59 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepansy View Post
I did go ahead and get a Sprint Q10 on Ebay which arrived today. I'll miss my Pre-. I had four of them, and one Pixi over the years. Posts from former WebOS users on WebOS Nation and Crackberry helped me with my decision. Thanks everyone.

I'm not gone from WebOS Nation though. I have a Touchpad that I use daily. The only issues I have with it are the "Can't Read Mime" problem and browser not able to display some pages. I'm still watching to see what LuneOS evolves into.
My wife gave me the Passport for my birthday as I had been coveting it since release and I have to say it's a great phone. BB10 is pretty nice and having a full keyboard again has been wonderful. It's very well built and the capacitive abilities of the keyboard work really well. So far all of the apps I've needed are available either natively or as an Android app. Although it comes with only the amazon app store,there were a number of apps not available there and adding Google play took maybe 15 minutes and I had everything I needed. The only bummer is that work still does not support BB10 so no work email yet. (Hopefully that will soon change.) The OS reminds me of WebOS to a point, and I find it relatively intuitive. Battery life is quite good and although it is a wide phone, I have not had much trouble getting used to it.

I know there is a lot of talk that BB10 is dead, I hope that is not true as I've had both android and IOS phones and I never really liked them and I've tried. I've found BB10 easier and it works well for me. If you need a new phone and miss a real keyboard, give the Passport A shot.
joeytino is offline   Reply With Quote