webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Other OS's and Devices > Android KitKat seems to have Synergy now
Android KitKat seems to have Synergy now
Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By FenrirWolf
  • 2 Post By Herrie
  • 2 Post By gizmo21
  • 3 Post By Herrie
  • 3 Post By Grabber5.0

Old 11/04/2013, 12:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

As it seems Android 4.4 has a cloud access framework so it could be easy to add cloud support to every app, sounds like synergy to me.

No doubt on android it will be much more used by cloud services and apps then on webOS, but it is to be seen if it is as OS integrated as in webOS (Contacts,Notes,Calendar,Tasks,Photos,Files) or even more like music,books...

androidpolice.com:New Storage Access Framework Makes Opening Files A More Consistent And Attractive Experience

--

Last edited by gizmo21; 11/04/2013 at 02:28 AM.
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: renater
Old 11/04/2013, 04:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

The version have is 11.3.3387. Sucks pretty bad that I bought the maps and now it's un usable.

It did work once when I first tested it tho
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/04/2013, 08:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Synergy is one of the things I miss most since jumping ship to Android. It's about time someone finally copied it.
FenrirWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ananimus likes this.
Old 11/04/2013, 08:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
The version have is 11.3.3387. Sucks pretty bad that I bought the maps and now it's un usable.

It did work once when I first tested it tho
(Think this somehow got misposted. See post #5 here: NDrive in your pocket for audio only guidance)
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/05/2013, 03:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
Synergy is one of the things I miss most since jumping ship to Android. It's about time someone finally copied it.
Still seems like a poorly implemented solution. GadgtSpot looked into it and were disappointed by it.
Old 11/05/2013, 06:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

good find, and we seem not to be alone by thinking webos was far ahead.
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and ananimus like this.
Old 11/05/2013, 08:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
good find, and we seem not to be alone by thinking webos was far ahead.
Well it's our longtime webOS fan Patrick Campanale who wrote it, so he might be a bit biased
Old 11/05/2013, 09:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

He is right though.

Developer of: SMS Auto Forward/Reply, GPS Viewer,
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix
Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, guilledil and ananimus like this.
Old 11/05/2013, 08:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
He is right though.
And that's totally disappointing news. I've been lurking this thread, wanting someone familiar with Synergy to say this is the new awesome. Here we are though, disappointed to hear another "me too" still couldn't do it.

So, what, is there something in the fundamental database structure in webOS that makes Synergy possible? Why can't anyone else quite get it right?
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2013, 04:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'm embarrassed to say this, but after all these years I still don't understand what synergy is
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2013, 04:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm embarrassed to say this, but after all these years I still don't understand what synergy is
Synergy,

Synergy is the interaction of multiple elements in a system to produce an effect different from or greater than the sum of their individual effects. The term synergy comes from the Greek word synergia συνέργια from synergos, συνεργός, meaning "working together".

Synergy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So the calendar in webOS takes Google, Yahoo, Palm Profile, Exchange, etc... and puts them all together, but yet keeps them separate.

So the contacts in webOS takes Google, Yahoo, Palm Profile, Exchange, Skype, LinkedIn (used to), etc... and puts them all together, but yet keeps them separate.

Allows you to take all the things that make your digital life bring them together in the Palm of your hand (from CES 2009 Palm)...

Palm Pre CES Press Event - YouTube
John Steffes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2013, 08:27 AM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
That's fine... synergy is one of the features you don't think about while using webOS but you'll miss them when you try to move on.

Basically it is the concept that you have one calendar app and one contacts app and one messaging app and can sync contacts and events from all the different sources into that one app. On other systems you either have a ton of calendar apps or at least a ton of different apps syncing your stuff. It's quite some pain and the main reason my Android-Test-Device knows only a fraction of my contacts (those which are on my google account anyway ).
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2013, 11:59 AM   #13 (permalink)

Actually in a way Google does not want Synergy. They want everything to be central to them, and the only cloud service you're using if you have an Android device, it's them.

Pry my keyboard from my stone dead hands. I dare you. Death to all slates.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
ToniCipriani is online now   Reply With Quote