webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Other OS's and Devices > is BB10 a natural choice for webos fans
is BB10 a natural choice for webos fans
Like Tree60Likes

Old 05/01/2013, 06:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hi All,
This is my first post here. I used to be a regular at Crackberry.com but now a days only go there to read Chris's posts on BBRY stock. The intention of this post is not to troll but just out of curiosity to see what webos fans think about BB10. Do you guys think that BB10 is a natural extention of webos and in future migrate to BB10 or prefer iOS/Android/WP8. what do you think
veeru789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/01/2013, 06:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

(to proper forum)

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/01/2013, 07:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I still don't get why people keep asking this. Yes, BB 10 is nice. No, BB10 didn't invent their interface and swipe up. They just plunged together the interface of MeeGo and Sailfish OS and added the swipe up from MeeGo (Sailfish has a side swipe) and webOS. Seriously, because of one single swipe (that MeeGo already had before BB10 and not to mention webOS) it's natural to move on to BB10? Or is the cards, which again, MeeGo already had and Sailfish too? The cards work nice but they're not original.

There's not much else that BB10 has in common with webOS unless you wanna count BB Hub in 'cause it's Synergy-like but then again: that's copied to some extent from both MeeGo and Sailfish OS (MeeGo has a left side swipe unified inbox and Sailfish has had Peek mode before BB10 came around). I like the Hub (although I'm not sure if I want a BB10 device) but it's not original.

Isis Web - the successor of the Touchpad's stock web browser
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Thanked By: Remy X
Old 05/01/2013, 08:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

The question wasn't whether BB10 ripped off a lot of other stuff, it was whether BB10 is a natural upgrade for a webos user left wanting...
Noremacam is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sledge007 and jrb363 like this.
Thanked By: veeru789
Old 05/01/2013, 08:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

Not for me. QNX seemed like such a blatant ripoff of webOS, I never warmed up to it (not to mention, I felt it wasn't better than webOS). Now with all the wait of BB10, gone is the card system we're fond of and now BB10 has this hub thingy, which is the multi-tasking switching hub.

I was reading The Verge's review of Q10 the other day. I read it b/c I'm a regular Verge reader but then I realized something... the I was utterly disinterested in the new BB hardware. I just have no interest at all. Then it hit me. The non-webOS users must feel the same way no matter how much we attest to and try to evangelize the greatness of webOS... bleh.
laoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/01/2013, 10:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

One of the main issues holding some webOS users back from embracing BB10 and RIM, is the fact that they are struggling. No one wants to swim from one sinking raft to another which is starting to take on significant volumes of water... If changing to BB10 means putting money into an OS that may not be here in two years, well they've already done that.

Personally, I'm waiting to see how Ubuntu Touch pans out. It's very gesture-centric and has a lot of nice features. I find that the overall feel when using it is one of immediacy. It feels like all functions are right there waiting, without a lot of wasted time/motion. It's very sleek and effective. The learning curve is not so steep and that helps get converts also. It has elements to the UI which I could say are like webOS, but the overall feel is very different... As it should be...

No OS wants to be compared too heavily with another anyway. They make sure they differentiate on purpose, both for marketing and legal reasons.

I'm sure there are many former webOS users now buying into BB10, but I highly doubt they would say it is a "natural extension" of the OS they left behind.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ewl88, sledge007, chalx and 4 others like this.
Old 05/01/2013, 11:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noremacam View Post
The question wasn't whether BB10 ripped off a lot of other stuff, it was whether BB10 is a natural upgrade for a webos user left wanting...
But my question remains valid: why? The up gesture? Really? The cards can't be it for sure because about every OS has a card-like view now (Android, Windows Phone when you hold the back button, BB10, MeeGo, Sailfish OS, Ubuntu Touch although that's on a seperate home screen so that one's arguable).

Old 05/01/2013, 12:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

I was over at T-mobile yesterday and played with a BB Z10 for a solid 30 minutes. It is not a natural progression for me as a long-time webOS user. The Hub was about the only thing that made sense to me as something that seemed well thought out and "webOSy" in that it put everything in a synergistic way... but that's about where it ended. I've been playing with an HTC One for the past 24 hours and with tweaking it comes a lot closer to what I can accept as a replacement than BB10.

I love our Crackberry brothers and sisters, but I see BB10 as needing a lot of tweaking and refining similar to where the original Palm Pre was when it was first released. I can see it getting better and better if they put the time in and don't pull the plug like what happened with HP.

Liked by MDsmartphone, ArchonAdvisors, jrb363 and 2 others like this.
Thanked by ananimus, veeru789
Old 05/01/2013, 12:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Agree with the above. I'm carrying a Z10 right now and while I like it, there's only a few things that it really outshines my Pre 3 on. Definitely a testament to how well the Pre 3 form factor is, but webOS was really starting to show its age for me on that device. One important one for me is the browser and just how it blows away the Pre 3 as far as being standards-compliant. The rest? It's a toss up. The maps is great with having turn by turn, but I really enjoyed 72ka's homebrew Google Maps client for webOS. Apps/gaming I don't really care too much about aside from weather, facebook and twitter. Phnx was a better client than the stuff I've seen so far (Neatly). It's pretty early on so I'll stick around to see how things develop and hopefully improve. Oh yeah, and having LTE is a nice improvement. It's fast.

However,
if webOS ever rises from the ashes and has a standards compliant browser and support Verizon LTE... I would run back so quickly it's not even funny.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by MDsmartphone, HelloNNNewman, workerb and 2 others like this.
Old 05/01/2013, 12:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Z10 and HTC One are on my radar also, but screen sizes >4" are real pain in the a**.
Old 05/01/2013, 01:14 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalx View Post
Z10 and HTC One are on my radar also, but screen sizes >4" are real pain in the a**.
I'm with you on that one! I've been carrying the One around and it's frakking HUGE. It's a beautiful device and lots of stuff to do on it (awesome camera), but I keep reaching for my Pre2 just because it's such a good size. I'll unbox my Pre3 this weekend and I'll be in heaven for size and OS. But I'll use the One as my work device and leave it on my desk after work. I've got long fingers but still... the size of those phones truly make them 2-hand devices.

Liked by chalx likes this.
Old 05/01/2013, 01:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Don't you guys realize that you need some room to type on? I've had a Motorola Milestone XT720 in the past with 3.7" and it was a disaster to type on a virtual keyboard that small. The Pre 3 is fine because that's a physical keyboard tied to a 3.65" screen. To type with as less mistakes as possible on a virtual keyboard you need somewhere in between 4" and 4.4".

Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 05/01/2013, 02:06 PM   #13 (permalink)

Or you just buy SwiftKey and typos are all but a distant memory.
Old 05/01/2013, 02:07 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
Don't you guys realize that you need some room to type on? I've had a Motorola Milestone XT720 in the past with 3.7" and it was a disaster to type on a virtual keyboard that small. The Pre 3 is fine because that's a physical keyboard tied to a 3.65" screen. To type with as less mistakes as possible on a virtual keyboard you need somewhere in between 4" and 4.4".
I had no problem with vkb on Iphone 3G @ 3.5" screen.On other hand, Android native vkb is small even on 4.2" device. Anyway, for me 4" screen is ideal but no one is developing 4" top of the line models anymore except Apple. Today I saw HTC M4, a midrange One variant with 4.3" screen, so soon even midrange models will be > 4"
Old 05/01/2013, 02:12 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
I'm with you on that one! I've been carrying the One around and it's frakking HUGE. It's a beautiful device and lots of stuff to do on it (awesome camera), but I keep reaching for my Pre2 just because it's such a good size. I'll unbox my Pre3 this weekend and I'll be in heaven for size and OS. But I'll use the One as my work device and leave it on my desk after work. I've got long fingers but still... the size of those phones truly make them 2-hand devices.
It's huge, but still it's remarkable device. I envy you (for One but also for Pre3-I would not use it but it's also beautiful device)
Old 05/01/2013, 02:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalx View Post
I had no problem with vkb on Iphone 3G @ 3.5" screen.On other hand, Android native vkb is small even on 4.2" device. Anyway, for me 4" screen is ideal but no one is developing 4" top of the line models anymore except Apple. Today I saw HTC M4, a midrange One variant with 4.3" screen, so soon even midrange models will be > 4"
Motorola Razr M has a 4.3" display in a 4" body. Also, look at Alcatel's new Android line-up, it has a few smaller than 4.3" models as well. Apple's vkb is good, true. But I wasn't talking about the iPhone.

Last edited by Vistaus; 05/01/2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05/01/2013, 02:51 PM   #17 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I ordered a Huawei Ascend P2 on a company discount for EUR 299,- Will get it in the next few weeks :-) I doubt I'll like Android but it's a quad core with sources released so will try my own port of Open webOS on it when I get time :-)

In the meanwhile I'll stay with my Veer as daily driver

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Last edited by Herrie; 05/01/2013 at 03:12 PM.
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/01/2013, 05:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
I disagree. You need a quality keyboard on a comfortable device and time to get used to it. I'm just as good on my 3.5" iPhone 4S keyboard as I am on the 4.7" LG Nexus 4. I find the 4.3" HTC 8X easier to type on than then 4.5" Nokia Lumia 920 - not a huge difference size-wise, but the 920 is so much heavier that it's somehow more frustrating (but oh that camera).

As for if BlackBerry 10 is a natural fit for webOS fans. I wouldn't say there's anything yet that's a natural fit for the webOS crowd. I've been toying around with a Z10 for several days now, and while it's a nice device, the gestures don't feel at all as natural as they did on webOS. You can swipe up to go into the multitasking grid on the Z10, but because it scrolls up and down between the 8 running apps (yes, 8), you can't swipe those cares away. And you can swipe back, but it seems to more require a hold-and-swipe instead of the fluid gesture area swiping of webOS. BlackBerry Peak is a unique concept, but it's in serious need of refinement (in my eyes).
Liked by HelloNNNewman and johncampanale like this.
Old 05/01/2013, 06:06 PM   #19 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

@Derek: But again: I wasn't talking about the iPhone. That's a different story. I was talking about Android phones mostly. And I had that XT720 for over a year so that's more than enough experience. Bigger isn't better per se but it's more comfortable to type on a Razr M than on a small sized Android phone for sure.

Old 05/01/2013, 06:13 PM   #20 (permalink)

If your deciding to leave webOS, then yes, BB10 will be more familiar to you than iOS, Android, or WP8.
AlexanderJJJ is offline   Reply With Quote