webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Other OS's and Devices > Arrgh! Slate 7" Tablet
Arrgh! Slate 7" Tablet
Like Tree23Likes

Old 04/17/2013, 12:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Slate 7 Tablet | HP® Official Site

"Carry your world in the palm of your hand. Available April 2013.", they say...

How about I carry a Palm in the Palm of my hand...

Okay done venting...
mdram is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, xandros9, cujoq37 and 3 others like this.
Old 04/17/2013, 01:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Some smart a*se Advertising Exec clearly thought it subliminally 'advantageous', perhaps!

$170 for a 7" tablet.. the 'GO' is gone.. but perhaps HP were more deeply 'stunned' by the results of the
TP Firesale than they care to admit!

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT A-D. ~ HP iPaq. hx-2110. WM 6.01.
TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Mini-5101.120Gb SSD. 3G/Wifi/BT. Win7.
Mutoidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2013, 01:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
Some smart a*se Advertising Exec clearly thought it subliminally 'advantageous', perhaps!

$170 for a 7" tablet.. the 'GO' is gone.. but perhaps HP were more deeply 'stunned' by the results of the
TP Firesale than they care to admit!

its only a shame that for a low grade "cheap" 7" tablet its still overpriced, compare their "cheap" offering to cheapo chineese 7" tablets and the HP offering looks weak allround.

Sanei N77 7" 8GB Android 4.0.3 ICS Tablet PC All Winner A13 1.2GHz MID WiFi 3G | eBay

stuff like the above is easily just as good and far far cheaper, and theres a massive range of cheapo chineese branded and knockoff tablets these days which are pretty damned good for their low prices, just dont use their wallchargers and stick to your own microusb cables etc to recharge them.

id rather just take time to find bargains like the 1 i linked, esp if your talking about a generic "android" device.
Old 04/17/2013, 02:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

<thread title updated>

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: mdram
Old 04/17/2013, 02:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rnp

Speaking in Brazilian Portuguese: <<removed by moderator - swearing (in any language) is not allowed>>

Best Regards...

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/25/2013 at 06:35 PM.
Rnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/18/2013, 03:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

new HP Slate buy one, never ( its not webOS,) or any HP product after selling out webOS.
Traderhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by cujoq37 likes this.
Old 07/25/2013, 11:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

Well that didn't take very long for a Firesale, now did it? Originally listed for $169, they are now selling it for a back to school special at $99 at Walmart.
HP Planning to Release $99 Android Tablet through Walmart in Back-to-School Deal | Androidheadlines.com

Not planning on buying one for myself....unless they drop to $50, then I might consider it.
Old 07/25/2013, 11:55 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
Well that didn't take very long for a Firesale, now did it? Originally listed for $169, they are now selling it for a back to school special at $99 at Walmart.
HP Planning to Release $99 Android Tablet through Walmart in Back-to-School Deal | Androidheadlines.com

Not planning on buying one for myself....unless they drop to $50, then I might consider it.
it is quite funny, i wonder if we will ever see how much $$ they may lose over this episode? do they still have their windows varient on the go or was that just "planned" and not actually put into play? would be interesting to see their ££/$$ gaisn from both.

i doubt they would learn any lessons even at this late stage tho.
Old 07/25/2013, 12:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Aside from my webOS devices, the only thing HP branded that I've owned is a 24" monitor...which is still going pretty strong, going on 5 years with it now. (Knock on wood) I can't see me running to HP for anything in the near or distant future.....but you never know.
Old 07/25/2013, 12:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

It reads like their advertising for this slate is just a bunch of subliminal hits on the previous Palm failures. The thing offers absolutely nothing any other 7" Android device didn't already have -- last year

fxspec06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9, sledge007 and geekpeter like this.
Old 07/25/2013, 12:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
It reads like their advertising for this slate is just a bunch of subliminal hits on the previous Palm failures. The thing offers absolutely nothing any other 7" Android device didn't already have -- last year
Pretty lack-luster effort....one would think they might have learned something from their first attempt....if you even call that attempting.
Old 07/25/2013, 05:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post

Firesale? Seems like you didn't read the article

"The US$99 tablet is manufactured by China-based BYD and is the second tablet that HP has outsourced to the China-based maker. The device adopts a 7-inch touch panel and Intel’s Medfield-based single-core processor."

Not the same device. This seems to be a cheaper version of the already low end Slate 7 and it's powered by...an Atom Medfield CPU .
Seems like Intel made them a good offer to get riddle of their Medfield stock.
Vity Traff is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sledge007 likes this.
Thanked By: sledge007
Old 07/25/2013, 05:43 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vity Traff View Post
Firesale? Seems like you didn't read the article

"The US$99 tablet is manufactured by China-based BYD and is the second tablet that HP has outsourced to the China-based maker. The device adopts a 7-inch touch panel and Intel’s Medfield-based single-core processor."

Not the same device. This seems to be a cheaper version of the already low end Slate 7 and it's powered by...an Atom Medfield CPU .
Seems like Intel made them a good offer to get riddle of their Medfield stock.
wasnt the touchpad go made in china?, china is likely where the wild touchpad-go's have emerged from escaping the skips/dumpsters, or was it just china one was first spotted?

nm, even if this is a new device its still more expensive than china models of equivalent specs, id rather keep throwing cash at the 2-3 chineese sites ive got several devices from than HP.
Old 07/25/2013, 05:55 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
it is quite funny, i wonder if we will ever see how much $$ they may lose over this episode? do they still have their windows varient on the go or was that just "planned" and not actually put into play? would be interesting to see their ££/$$ gaisn from both.

i doubt they would learn any lessons even at this late stage tho.
Windows variant of the Slate 7"? When did HP announce that?
Old 07/25/2013, 06:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vity Traff View Post
Windows variant of the Slate 7"? When did HP announce that?
they have/had their ElitePad's running winblows8.

HP ElitePad 900 64GB - HP Store UK

Also their Pavillion laptop(s) are/were touchscreen with windows8 as well, tho ofc dont qualify as a tablet.

There is also their Envy X2 line which technically is both laptop and tablet.
Old 07/25/2013, 07:03 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
they have/had their ElitePad's running winblows8.

HP ElitePad 900 64GB - HP Store UK

Also their Pavillion laptop(s) are/were touchscreen with windows8 as well, tho ofc dont qualify as a tablet.

There is also their Envy X2 line which technically is both laptop and tablet.
Ah that...I thought you were talking about a 7" low end Win 8 tablet! I've tested the ElitePad, good device but definitively aimed to business crowd. The Elite Book Rove also fall in this category. The X2 is being replaced by the Split X2 and there's also a 20" portable desktop the rove. So I think their Win 8 tablet like offering is still strong.

Quote:
wasnt the touchpad go made in china?, china is likely where the wild touchpad-go's have emerged from escaping the skips/dumpsters, or was it just china one was first spotted?

nm, even if this is a new device its still more expensive than china models of equivalent specs, id rather keep throwing cash at the 2-3 chineese sites ive got several devices from than HP.
As far as I know almost all of our electronic gadgets are made in China. That said The difference is that the Go (and all the Touchpad family) has been conceived and designed internally by HP/Palm where the Slate 7 is a cheap platform bought from a Chinese manufacturer that they put in a case with HP and Beats logo.
99$ for an Atom medfield powered tablet with 512 of RAM? it's not expensive...it's a scam

Last edited by Vity Traff; 07/25/2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07/25/2013, 07:09 PM   #17 (permalink)

im assuming if their prices arent dropping that someone somewhere must be buying their windows8 variants then, which is strange given all the bad press lately that windows8 has been getting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23316207

was a recent article id seen regarding that potential issue.

oh and

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...-still-useless
Old 07/25/2013, 07:37 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
im assuming if their prices arent dropping that someone somewhere must be buying their windows8 variants then, which is strange given all the bad press lately that windows8 has been getting.

BBC News - Microsoft and Blackberry cut Surface and Z10 prices

was a recent article id seen regarding that potential issue.

oh and

Windows RT 8.1: Still slow, still plagued by the Desktop, still useless | ExtremeTech
HP doesn't make Win RT devices, all of their Win 8 devices are full Windows.
Windows RT as it's now is just a half baked product. Not enough Windows (can't run legacy win32 softs, not versatile, underpowered ...) for people coming from the PC world, too windows to seduce people who are just looking for a consumption device. And the question is why bother to make windows run on ARM if the result is a windows unable to run windows apps? Especially when you consider the next gen Atom cpu will likely offer same performance as ARM processors? I think the answer lies in Microsoft's "one Microsoft" strategy. For me, RT and windows phone will eventually merge meaning, everything from 3" to 10" + the Xbox will run on a regular windows with just the addition of the possibility to run legacy apps on bigger devices. And if you think of project Midori that future should be platform agnostic as well.

Last edited by Vity Traff; 07/25/2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07/25/2013, 08:08 PM   #19 (permalink)

It would be really nice to see WebOS internals compile Open WebOS for the Slate 7 simply on principle. Not expecting it to happen however.
joeytino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/25/2013, 08:34 PM   #20 (permalink)

IIRC, Microsoft is the only one still making WindowsRT devices, and those are gaining almost no traction, even with the recent discounts. RT has fulfilled its purpose in forcing Intel to produce more energy-efficient x86 designs, so i suspect i'll just be another "cardboard cutout", decoy of a product that's only maintained for the sake of vanity, only to be killed off 3 years later...

Last edited by Remy X; 07/25/2013 at 09:15 PM. Reason: was = has
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by fxspec06 likes this.