webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Other OS's and Devices > Surface 7 inch?
Surface 7 inch?
  Reply
Like Tree4Likes

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04/11/2013, 01:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 1,567
Microsoft may release 7-inch tablet this year - GadgetBox on NBCNews.com

So everyone wants a smaller 7 inch tablet...

HP makes the Slate 7, Microsoft goes for a 7 inch...

Slate 7 Tablet | HP® Official Site

Slate 7 Tablet | HP® Official Site

Microsoft CFO Quits over luke warm Windows 8?

Microsoft CFO exits; company tops earnings expectations - Business on NBCNews.com

Both will be over priced...

Compete with China and they will fail...

Got my kids for the Holidays back in December a NextBook 7 inch for $79, HP for $169, should price it at $89, Microsoft Price is not stated, but they will sell for like $300... miss the boat....

Sorry you want to be part of the mobile sell the tablet at cost, make money on the apps... or the eco system (keyboard, cases, etc..)

XBOX sold at loss, Amazon Kindle sold at loss, etc...

Last edited by John Steffes; 04/22/2013 at 08:38 PM.
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by geekpeter likes this.
Old 04/17/2013, 03:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Moderator
 
OldSkoolVWLover's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,732
I get your argument John.... the console (or Amazon) game is different though. I agree though the products will stagnate at those price points though. MS at least has somewhat of an ecosystem in its OS to attract a certain set of people to a slightly higher priced tablet (since their PCs are so saturated). If a company can make good accessories there is surely money to be made there, apps is still a tough sell IMHO because margins just aren't there and the buy isn't guaranteed to be a strong as with a console.
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2013, 04:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 1,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
I get your argument John.... the console (or Amazon) game is different though. I agree though the products will stagnate at those price points though. MS at least has somewhat of an ecosystem in its OS to attract a certain set of people to a slightly higher priced tablet (since their PCs are so saturated). If a company can make good accessories there is surely money to be made there, apps is still a tough sell IMHO because margins just aren't there and the buy isn't guaranteed to be a strong as with a console.
To compete you have to look at the overall picture, the apps may be a very small margin, but that is where the money is, the device, because of competition price does not matter, specially for HP, a android device is an android device, sure a few bells and whistles (better camera, or faster processor), but android is android, ics, jelly bean, the games are all the same, not even coded to handle all the newer specs... lowest common denominator... So make the money on the games not the device...

The eco system, that is also a big money maker...

Got the touchpad, bought the keyboard, the touchstone, the case, the padded case for the case (to protect it even more)... some AC adapters, USB cables branded for the tablet...

All the firesale was the tablet, the rest were full price maybe $10 off here or there...

Microsoft, yes they are the big players with lots of money to throw, but that does not mean it will be better... like the competition, overtime html5, games, apps, will all be the same, have game x on ios, android, windows rt, and webOS the game works the same on all four, so why do I need device x when I can get y for 1/16 of the prices? The web (html5), is the web, does not matter, which browser?

After all tablets are mostly media consumption devices...

FYI new news reports apple is missing it's mini sales, stock tanks..., Microsoft/HP might have already missed the boat...

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/stoc...umps-1C9389349

Apple tumbled sharply, briefly breaking below $400 a share for the first time since December 2011, after DigiTimes reported that iPad mini shipments will fall 20 to 30 percent quarter-over-quarter to 10 to 12 million units in the second quarter.

Last edited by John Steffes; 04/17/2013 at 04:46 PM.
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2013, 04:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Moderator
 
OldSkoolVWLover's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,732
Wow didn't hear they were missing their mini sales (or was that a joke?) my mom got hers on order because they were sold out in store when dad went to buy it for her.

I get where you are coming from 100%, if HP was gonna do that I think they missed the boat on their ability to do it. MS can afford to do whatever they want, and maybe they are rethinking strategy with all the sale prices on Win8 installs. Up until now MS was the if you want it you'll pay for it club when it came to computer software, so who knows what there real end game is any more.
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2013, 04:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Mutoidi's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,598
@ John Steffes ~

"...All the firesale was the tablet, the rest were full price maybe $10 off here or there.."

No - here, all accessories were marked down to 50% of RRP.

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

__________________

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT A-D. ~ HP iPaq. hx-2110. WM 6.01.
TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Mini-5101.120Gb SSD. 3G/Wifi/BT. Win7.
Mutoidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2013, 05:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 1,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
@ John Steffes ~

"...All the firesale was the tablet, the rest were full price maybe $10 off here or there.."

No - here, all accessories were marked down to 50% of RRP.

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

Got my firesale tablet at bestbuy, keyboard was $69.99 then I got price matched to $34.99, Screen guard was $29.99 price matched to 9.99 (took a few weeks, have the original price receipt from bestbuy), then the custom fit foli from staples was $29.99 then price matched to $19.99, touchstone was $49.99 price matched to $39.99 (again it took a few weeks, have the original price receipt from staples)... Also got a warranty replacement custom fit foli (with the receipt), and that one also is now showing it's age with the same problems around the USB port and power button...

I had to get a manager at both stores as they did not want to price match me, even though there ad said they would (as they said it was a clearance item)...

But that is where HP/Palm made their money... a touchstone charger for my phone was $29.99, you now can find them on Amazon or eBay for under $3, and someone is still making a profit.. New battery $19.99 from Verizon, now one can get them for under $1...

My PrePlus was free from Verizon (with a 2 year contract but it was like $499 without), I can get a replacement for under $60 now, and someone is still making a profit...

eco system, that is the profit margin... Apple has it, go into their store, they will sell the IPad Mini, but wait there's more you need a magnet case (hey it turns off or on just by closing or opening it), you need a screen protector, you can even pay for a laser etching you name and address... They know how to make a profit...

HP/Palm (or Jon R.) knew how to make a profit, price the phone low, hook them on the eco system...

Original Pre, but hey you can charge wirelessly just need a new battery door $$$, TouchStone charger, $$$, USB cable $$$, AC power adapter $$$$.... Same with Pixi/PixiPlus, comes without touchstone ready back, but we got many styles we are only producing a small number so get them while there hot... $$$

Last edited by John Steffes; 04/17/2013 at 05:14 PM.
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2013, 06:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Moderator
 
OldSkoolVWLover's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
HP/Palm (or Jon R.) knew how to make a profit, price the phone low, hook them on the eco system...
I know I've said this on the forums ad nauseum, but I agree and would say the same of Mark Hurd, I do think some of the pricing problems we saw were a direct result of Leo. If anyone disagrees, that's fine, not gonna change my mind on this one, Leo showed us his true intentions and it had nothing to do with six weeks of weak US sales.
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by geekpeter likes this.
Old 04/18/2013, 07:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Mutoidi's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
Got my firesale tablet at bestbuy, keyboard was $69.99 then I got price matched to $34.99, Screen guard was $29.99 price matched to 9.99 (took a few weeks, have the original price receipt from bestbuy), then the custom fit foli from staples was $29.99 then price matched to $19.99, touchstone was $49.99 price matched to $39.99 (again it took a few weeks, have the original price receipt from staples)... Also got a warranty replacement custom fit foli (with the receipt), and that one also is now showing it's age with the same problems around the USB port and power button...

I had to get a manager at both stores as they did not want to price match me, even though there ad said they would (as they said it was a clearance item)...

But that is where HP/Palm made their money... a touchstone charger for my phone was $29.99, you now can find them on Amazon or eBay for under $3, and someone is still making a profit.. New battery $19.99 from Verizon, now one can get them for under $1...

My PrePlus was free from Verizon (with a 2 year contract but it was like $499 without), I can get a replacement for under $60 now, and someone is still making a profit...

eco system, that is the profit margin... Apple has it, go into their store, they will sell the IPad Mini, but wait there's more you need a magnet case (hey it turns off or on just by closing or opening it), you need a screen protector, you can even pay for a laser etching you name and address... They know how to make a profit...

HP/Palm (or Jon R.) knew how to make a profit, price the phone low, hook them on the eco system...

Original Pre, but hey you can charge wirelessly just need a new battery door $$$, TouchStone charger, $$$, USB cable $$$, AC power adapter $$$$.... Same with Pixi/PixiPlus, comes without touchstone ready back, but we got many styles we are only producing a small number so get them while there hot... $$$

You did well John.. Yes!
But here, it was all over within 1.5 hours!
The retail outlet (Harvey Norman Electronics - who had sole distribution rights on about 6000 imported TP's and their related accessories) did not know what had hit them!
I believe, over that fateful W/E in August, the CEO of H.N. spoke with the CEO of HP Australia and said 'What the hell is Leo doing - you realise it will be cheaper for you to sell these units @ $100, than it will for you to pay us to take them all OFF the shelves again and ship them back to you?"
At 10:30 on Monday morning all the store managers got a text saying 'Firesale starts at @ 2:00 this afternoon!'
I think I got there at about 10 minutes past 2:00 and walked out 10 minutes later.
The rest is history.

Of course, many many producers actually make their (excessive) $'s on 'accessories' and 'merchandising' etc!
But not in this instance in this country!

__________________

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT A-D. ~ HP iPaq. hx-2110. WM 6.01.
TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Mini-5101.120Gb SSD. 3G/Wifi/BT. Win7.
Mutoidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/18/2013, 07:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
geekpeter's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
Of course, many many producers actually make their (excessive) $'s on 'accessories' and 'merchandising' etc!
But not in this instance in this country!

this will be why apple dont really revamp the design/shape of their devices to ensure accessory manufacturers feel safe knowing their products will work on new and old and get their moneys worth over time.

Its also why the android crowd tends to have it harder in that area being that theres a new android device/shape/size released stupidly fast leaving only "generic/universal" types of accessorys which arent always ideal.
__________________
Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/18/2013, 07:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Mutoidi's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
this will be why apple dont really revamp the design/shape of their devices to ensure accessory manufacturers feel safe knowing their products will work on new and old and get their moneys worth over time.

Its also why the android crowd tends to have it harder in that area being that theres a new android device/shape/size released stupidly fast leaving only "generic/universal" types of accessorys which arent always ideal.
Yes.. and Apple recently also created a market for 'adaptors', by altering the format of one of their I/O sockets!
But clearly, HP were also trying to create their own 'family' of devices and accessories too!

And as Steve Jobs once famously said of Bill Gates:: 'He'd be a broader guy if he had dropped Acid once...'
Leo?? No way!

__________________

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT A-D. ~ HP iPaq. hx-2110. WM 6.01.
TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Mini-5101.120Gb SSD. 3G/Wifi/BT. Win7.

Last edited by Mutoidi; 04/18/2013 at 04:04 PM.
Mutoidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/18/2013, 03:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 1,567
More Microsoft Windows 8 issues?


CFO quits to Windows 8 luke warm sales???

Microsoft CFO exits; company tops earnings expectations - Business on NBCNews.com

They should release Surface 7 with Windows Embedded 7 with full Office 2010... Dump Windows 8, ctrl-alt-del, fdisk... that will fix it...

http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft...eatures-216780
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Mutoidi likes this.
Old 04/22/2013, 08:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 1,567
They finally release the HP Slate 7 specs...

Slate 7 Tablet | HP® Official Site

was starting at 169.00 now starting at 169.99, no longer available in April?

Last edited by John Steffes; 04/22/2013 at 09:01 PM.
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/26/2013, 02:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 1,567
HP Slate 7 (E0H92AA#ABA) went from notify me, to buy now...


Slate 7 Tablet | HP® Official Site

Free shipping... Two Business Days FREE
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/26/2013, 11:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 755
If you have ever tried the no name tablets from China, many don't connect to Google Play and wifi is a joke with no range at all.
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/2013, 09:04 AM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 1,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnld View Post
If you have ever tried the no name tablets from China, many don't connect to Google Play and wifi is a joke with no range at all.
Got my kids a NextBook 7P12-8G for $79, now $69.99 (http://www.walmart.com/ip/EFUN-Nextb...Black/22127002), it has Google play and flash (ICS), the kids love their tablets, they are not the nexus, or Samsung, but here is the biggest statement, android is android...

The apps are designed around smaller screens (phones), older OS (Gingerbread), so specs really do not matter, angry birds, flow free, Skype, draw something, all work the same...

The price is the factor...

I also have a NextBook 8P12-4G, was $89, it had getjar, rooted, took Google Play modules from NextBook 7P12-8G, did a factory reset, Google Play now works 100%.

I have played with other tablets Motorola Xoom, Samsung, Lenovo, ASUS, Polaroid, Toshiba, Touchpad, etc...

All the same... Root, install GP, Factory Reset, all work 100%...

Range of WiFi, on the NextBooks we have are great...

Last edited by John Steffes; 05/01/2013 at 12:21 AM.
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by geekpeter likes this.
Old 05/01/2013, 12:15 AM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 1,567
Bump NextBook back on sale again... $69.99 lost $0.99 now $69.00

EFUN Next7P12-8G Android 4.0 Tablet PC, Black - Walmart.com

Cheap China tablet compare the price/features to Slate 7... $169 .99

Slate 7 Tablet | HP® Official Site

“Can't wait for Slate 7! Finally something to look forward to…
Good work HP!”

– Iren M., Texas

Android is Android, why pay more, are the differences really worth $100.99 (updated price) more?, when most apps could care less about screen size, beat audio, dual core, or android version...

Eat that HP...

Last edited by John Steffes; 05/09/2013 at 07:02 AM.
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2013, 01:07 PM   #17 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
RumoredNow's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,226
From Derek's new job writing some for AC in addition to his webOS Nation gig.

HP Slate 7 Review | Android Central
__________________
Nokia Lumia 925 (T-Mobile Variant): Windows Phone 8.1 Preview for Developers
LG Nexus 4 (16GB): Ubuntu for Devices --channel=devel
Asus Nexus 7 (2012 WiFi 32GB): Factory Google KitKat 4.4.4 + francoKernel & Xposed
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: xandros9
Old 05/08/2013, 01:45 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
geekpeter's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
From Derek's new job writing some for AC in addition to his webOS Nation gig.

HP Slate 7 Review | Android Central
Surprising the device has poor battery life given that its 3500 mAh and well, a tiny device in general, also like how derek still manages to sneak in a touchpad/webOS picture in there.

good read allround tho, indepth and covers loads as usual, think the only thing he didnt cover was if the bluetooth on the device would actually pair up with keyboards and work properly, or if you got your mousepointer when pairing a mouse as a few at that price range will pair but not actually be useable for input.
__________________
Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<

Last edited by geekpeter; 05/08/2013 at 01:52 PM.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2013, 01:47 PM   #19 (permalink)
Rnp
Member
 
Rnp's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,286
Oh, but this 7 is nothing...

Now, the HP have the Slatebook 10!

http://www.tabtech.de/android-bzw-go...rk-aufgetaucht

Tá de sacanagem, né?


Best Regards...
__________________
"If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
(Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
Rnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2013, 02:03 PM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
geekpeter's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
Oh, but this 7 is nothing...

Now, the HP have the Slatebook 10!

HP SlateBook 10 x2: 10-Zoll-Tablet mit Tegra 4 und Android 4.2.2 im Benchmark

Tá de sacanagem, né?


Best Regards...
looks exactly the same as their elitepad 900

EDIT: oh title says slatebook, even their picture has elitepad written on it ¬ ¬
__________________
Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Microsoft Surface blackfireball5 Open webOS General Discussion 9 10/29/2012 09:38 AM
Amazon Reportedly Plans 8.9-Inch, 10.1-Inch Kindle Fires ilovedessert The 'Off Topic' Lounge 0 11/22/2011 02:10 AM
7-inch TouchPad Hyperion HP TouchPad 5 06/13/2011 12:08 AM
anyone using the new 13 inch macbook? mrgarza The 'Off Topic' Lounge 0 06/12/2006 09:01 PM
Qtek 9100 an inch away hofo_mofo Other OS's and Devices 21 09/23/2005 09:48 AM


 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0