webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Other OS's and Devices > Ubuntu touch, developer preview Nexus 7
Ubuntu touch, developer preview Nexus 7
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By barryb20
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow
  • 1 Post By geekpeter
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow

Old 02/23/2013, 04:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hi All,

after seeing this being released and someone posting on how they think it could replace webOS I gave it a spin on my Nexus 7.

Bearing in mind this is a developer preview and not all features are functioning it feels solid, but a bit slow. The design and layout is nice and fresh and utilises Ubuntu's unity launcher for quick launching applications.

This is hidden and uses a left hand swype to reveal. The one thing it has over other launchers is the number of applications available due to its vertical orientation which is nice.

Swype from the right and it swaps between running applications though unfortunately one at a time and full screen, down from the top an Android like notification bar and up from the bottom allows you to switch between the different home screens.

I could not find a way to close running applications which was annoying as running applications are listed on the Applications page (you can quick jump to running apps from here) at the top and you need to scroll down to get to other applications.

The keyboard needs a lot of polish, first it is too small and secondly the responsiveness is just OK, I would say Ubuntu Touch > Touchad > Android for ease of K/B use. Also bear in mind the TP is bigger device but also slower than the N7.

Now the gestures, no where as smooth or intuitive as webOS even the original pre was smoother. OK perhaps unfair as this is a developer preview but it is running on a quad core tablet!

The OS shows promise but has to come a long way to even touch Android in its present state and Google are not going to sit still.

It will be interesting to see how openwebOS is once it gets to beta and I flash it on my N7.

Just so everyone knows I also have a Nexus 4 but my Pre 3 gets used everyday but I am no webOS die hard.

I have owned Symbian, WP7/8, iOS, Android, MeeGo and webOS handsets (and bberry but that's work) so like to think I have had fair experience on a number of platforms

Barry
barryb20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 02/23/2013, 01:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

we all screamed for acl for android compatability, i wonder how much easier or harder transparently merging ubuntu's offering into open webos would prove.

if we cant get android, then maybe ubuntu touch apps in webos cards would do instead.
Old 02/23/2013, 02:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Thanks for the Preview of the... Preview.

I'm still waiting for my GNex. The sled dogs have it and are running east from Saskatoon even as we speak. Once Canada Post gets it off the sled at the border and onto a USPS truck I'll have it in my hands and will try the GNex port.

If they are following the Android "Close Apps, we don't close no stinkin' Apps" path then that does not bode well. I realize GNex is the least powerful device they are porting to ATM. Still, it is the one I picked for good or ill. I still hold out some hope that webOS Ports will get something going for that device as well.

If I understand correctly the unified code is a goal and there are some fundamental differences between the phone and tablet versions at this stage of development.

Once again, I very much appreciate your review.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by barryb20 likes this.
Old 02/23/2013, 02:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hi Rumored,

Your welcome, I had a Gnexus and it is a nice handset. I got the nexus 4 then realised that for now its not supported yet :-(

Peter, it would be good if the Ubuntu touch apps would easily be ported to openwebOS but for me that wouldn't be a deal breaker from using webOS.

Barry
Old 02/24/2013, 02:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryb20 View Post
Hi Rumored,

Your welcome, I had a Gnexus and it is a nice handset. I got the nexus 4 then realised that for now its not supported yet :-(

Peter, it would be good if the Ubuntu touch apps would easily be ported to openwebOS but for me that wouldn't be a deal breaker from using webOS.

Barry
we need apps from somewhere, ill take anything realistic/doable over what we have atm which is very little.
Old 03/12/2013, 11:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Reprinted from my thread: I Wanted to Try Ubuntu Touch

Quote:
I last got a daily build flashed on 03-06.

So today, 03-12, I'm updating to the latest daily. I'll try and pay attention to what may have changed...

And just found this in the Googlesphere... "Unsupported packages from an untrusted PPA" or in layman's terms: third party, unverified Core Apps.

Click to view quoted image

Here's the site: https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-touch-...+archive/daily

I may get adventurous enough to try one and see how it looks. I'm trying to find out more. Don't want to brick my new toy just yet. LOLz.

@barryb20... are you keeping up with this? Have you flashed back to Android?

One thing you wrote was that you found no way to close Apps. That's not a situation I favor. Fortunately there is a way. When the App is in Focus, swipe your finger up from the bottom bezel and a box appears midscreen with a search glass like symbol cut through on the left with an equal sign. Without letting up on the screen slide your finger into that box and a settings panel opens. Tap the X in the bottom left corner to close the App.

Give us an update if you are still playing with this on Nexus 7.

Old 03/12/2013, 01:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Reprinted from my thread: I Wanted to Try Ubuntu Touch

@barryb20... are you keeping up with this? Have you flashed back to Android?

One thing you wrote was that you found no way to close Apps. That's not a situation I favor. Fortunately there is a way. When the App is in Focus, swipe your finger up from the bottom bezel and a box appears midscreen with a search glass like symbol cut through on the left with an equal sign. Without letting up on the screen slide your finger into that box and a settings panel opens. Tap the [I]X in the bottom left corner to close the App.

Give us an update if you are still playing with this on Nexus 7.

Hi,

Nope flashed back to Android again. Sounds like the app closing is less than intuitive, or as simple as webOS or even Android for that matter!

Will be interesting to see how it compares to Firefox OS as well as it matures

Barry

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 03/12/2013, 05:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Let's see... iOS... Double tap Home button to get list of running Apps > Double tap home to call up little red x in corner of each App > Tap red x on each App you want to close.

In Android, the only way I've found to close Apps is A) use a Task Manager set to kill when the App is not used for a certain amount of time (this is not recommended under Android) or B) reboot. Remember - under ICS and above, opening the list of running Apps and flicking them off the screen only removes them from the list - it doesn't close a thing. It's a false sense of closure.

Ubuntu Touch... Bring App into focus > Slide finger up from bottom and enter settings card > Tap x to close

I'd call it a tie between iOS and UT. iOS lets you close more at once, but UT lets you close one faster. And if you know you are done with it just close before exit so less Apps are persisting. Android posts as a DNF (did not finish) - Apps are supposed to stay open forever so they can spy on you to their dev's content.

I agree though, NOTHING will beat just minimizing a card and flicking it off the screen. One simple, easy to use and very much fun solution that no one has equaled. Of course webOS gets the crown. Look at what forum we're posting in!!!!!

Last edited by RumoredNow; 03/12/2013 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Bad comma, how did you get in there?
Liked by TUFF Stough likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0