webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Other OS's and Devices > I think I might have found the first acceptable replacement for WebOS
I think I might have found the first acceptable replacement for WebOS
Like Tree35Likes

Old 02/19/2013, 12:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

While I would prefer to stick with Webos doesn't seem like it will be a valid choice in the near future (next year). Currently the alternatives to WebOs are pretty bad. Android and IOS are kind of a joke in comparison to webos' user experience and Windows 8 isn't much better. Yeah they have apps but if getting around to them is a pain what is the point? That is my personal opinion.

I have been using a Pre- for the past 3+ years(on sprint), have a few Touchpads only running webos, and a Pre 2, I have developed apps and championed Webos to everyone and anyone willing to listen. I have not been impressed at all by other systems. I have been kind of worried where I may go once all my WebOS devices die.

This is the first time I feel like there is an acceptable alternative. and it happens to come from an OS that I moved away from after using for a few years (move to different linux distro).

Ubuntu seems have a lot of qualities that WebOS has and improves on more of them. Some examples are gestures (how to see your favorite apps similar to launch bar/wave bar), swiping to delete (used in notification ), notifications and setting in top left with pull down drawer, search from home screen(just type). Where they have improved includes the ability to display two apps on the screen at 1 time(side stage), The ability for multiple account on the tablet, the ability to run full desktop apps. The ecosystem across different devices from smartphones, tablets, computers to TVs, is the best out their right now.

Another bonus for me is that it is Open Source

There is one main thing that would make it even better, and that would be apps as cards, those darn cards make multitasking so simple on touch devices.

So to me this is the only option out there.

Check out the video and let me know what you think.

Published TP Apps:
Anagramarama HD
Published Phone Apps
Anagramarama
DDII Free
elpollodiablo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Adyuga, TUFF Stough and RumoredNow like this.
Thanked by Adyuga, RumoredNow
Old 02/19/2013, 12:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpollodiablo1 View Post
While I would prefer to stick with Webos doesn't seem like it will be a valid choice in the near future (next year). Currently the alternatives to WebOs are pretty bad. Android and IOS are kind of a joke in comparison to webos' user experience and Windows 8 isn't much better. Yeah they have apps but if getting around to them is a pain what is the point? That is my personal opinion.

I have been using a Pre- for the past 3+ years(on sprint), have a few Touchpads only running webos, and a Pre 2, I have developed apps and championed Webos to everyone and anyone willing to listen. I have not been impressed at all by other systems. I have been kind of worried where I may go once all my WebOS devices die.

This is the first time I feel like there is an acceptable alternative. and it happens to come from an OS that I moved away from after using for a few years (move to different linux distro).

Ubuntu seems have a lot of qualities that WebOS has and improves on more of them. Some examples are gestures (how to see your favorite apps similar to launch bar/wave bar), swiping to delete (used in notification ), notifications and setting in top left with pull down drawer, search from home screen(just type). Where they have improved includes the ability to display two apps on the screen at 1 time(side stage), The ability for multiple account on the tablet, the ability to run full desktop apps. The ecosystem across different devices from smartphones, tablets, computers to TVs, is the best out their right now.

There is one main thing that would make it even better, and that would be apps as cards, those darn cards make multitasking so simple on touch devices.

Click to view quoted video
Well, as difficult as it is to admit, you're right. I've had he exact same thought. I think they picked up where HP f' ed up.
Old 02/19/2013, 01:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Ubuntu Mobile is looking pretty nice. If they can garner a lot of disaffected users from the marginal Operating Systems (webOS, Symbian, Bada, etc...) that will be some instant traction when added in with the Ubuntu Desktop fans who will switch.

bluenote advises that on Feb 21st, 2013 you will be able to flash a Developer edition to Samsung Galaxy Nexus or LG Nexus 4 phones: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...h-preview.html

It's coming on pretty quick and I'm keeping my eye on it...
Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Open webOS Alpha 2
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/19/2013, 02:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

I don't own an iphone or iPad but my wife owns a first generation iPod touch. How can anyone say that iOS is a joke compared to WebOS?

I use WebOS every day and always find it refreshing to use iOS.
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/19/2013, 02:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Lack of native multitasking is somehow refreshing?

Well, to each their own
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by ArchonAdvisors, Rnp, Vistaus
Old 02/19/2013, 03:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
Lack of native multitasking is somehow refreshing?

Well, to each their own
Multi tasking is over rated and cluttering on a phone to me.
Old 02/19/2013, 03:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

<thread moved to proper forum>

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/19/2013, 03:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnld View Post
Then you must not use your phone as a business device. Without multitasking on my phone, I'd be screwed.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, MDsmartphone, xandros9 and 6 others like this.
Thanked By: johncampanale
Old 02/19/2013, 03:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't own an iphone or iPad but my wife owns a first generation iPod touch. How can anyone say that iOS is a joke compared to WebOS?

I use WebOS every day and always find it refreshing to use iOS.
Very Easily Actually:

Can you multitask on IOS, and none of that psudotasking? have multiple apps open at the same time running and gathering/processing information? Do you know which apps are open and running on IOS by just looking at it and can close them with 1 motion? how about notification, can you dismiss/interact with them from anywhere(might be able to do that now in iOS 6)? can you legally tweak IOS to the way you want it? How does it do with linking all your accounts together in one place and propagates it through to the default apps so any Im/text/email/call all come from the same contact in every app?

Obviously iOS has its advantages, if it didn't, it wouldn't be as big as it is now. It is built and optimized for its hardware giving it probably the best performance out of all the devices. It easily connects with only the Istore/Itunes ( which is see as a drawback but that is just me) for your music and movie needs and keeping all your stuff in one place. It has tons and tons of apps which people seem to like(I am one who would rather use a mobile website then an app). iOS is pretty basic and simplistic. Very locked down, which makes people feel secure. Although there are many way people use their iOS devices that make their digital foot print very insecure(but that is for another time).

But as a design/integration for a tablet and phone device, I still believe WebOS has a better implementation. I am just talking strictly OS not 3rd party apps. WebOS takes better advantage of the real estate available to it for tablets. Where iOS doesnt (IOS is basically just an "over sized phone interface on tablets" said an Ipad/iphone owner to me)

So that is how I can say iOS is a joke compared to WebOS

*disclaimer, I have not used an iOS device lately so there might be a few of the question that are now possible. which is good to see that have finally caught up to a 3-4 year old OS. I don't want this to turn into a long forum about iOS vs WebOS, that has been hashed out many a times.

Published TP Apps:
Anagramarama HD
Published Phone Apps
Anagramarama
DDII Free
Liked by ArchonAdvisors, Vistaus and Remy X like this.
Thanked By: bradmeister1
Old 02/19/2013, 03:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

It's amazing, I would miss is the way webos multitasking, use cards to move, although applications will look great I love some of Enyo, and I wonder if it will have something like synergy?, If so, my next tablet Ubuntu will, but the phone still does not convince me obuntu.
MAMISHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/19/2013, 04:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

I agree that Ubuntu is the next best thing to webOS. I use Ubuntu as my main OS for my PC and I could not be happier. The speed, beauty, and security of Ubuntu puts Windows and IOS back in the stone age and I am very excited about the Ubuntu phones.

However, there is no need to replace webOS. If you remember Ubuntu was the first system that opne webOS was ported on so we can all have the best of both worlds!!!!

UBUNTU AND WEBOS TOGETHER IS THE PERFECT MARRIAGE!!!!!
Mmacholda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/19/2013, 04:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

You're right. I also hope to stay with webOS. I like the cards and everything. When I'm on Android or iOS, it feels like PalmOS. Of course, much better looking, smoother, and much more modern. But still: one application at the time (and a list of recently used apps). I haven't been much on these devices, so I could be missing something.

However, this Ubuntu OS seems nice to me. I like it on the desktop, and now I see it on a portable device... well, if I can't do anything anymore with webOS, that would be my number two then.
Mr.Pleasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/19/2013, 04:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Between webOS and WP7, I'm pretty tired of jumping into a brand new OS and waiting for it to catch up to the big guys. I'm sure I'll end up flashing it to my Nexus 4 to give it a whirl every now and then, but nothing can really replace Android as my daily driver. Not yet, at least.
Old 02/19/2013, 04:54 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
Then you must not use your phone as a business device. Without multitasking on my phone, I'd be screwed.
Of course I use it for business.
Old 02/19/2013, 05:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tazmorator (Leader Emeritus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
Between webOS and WP7, I'm pretty tired of jumping into a brand new OS and waiting for it to catch up to the big guys. I'm sure I'll end up flashing it to my Nexus 4 to give it a whirl every now and then, but nothing can really replace Android as my daily driver. Not yet, at least.
Yeah, I quit being an early adopter years back.
In all technology, I try to stay a year behind.
This also allows me to get things cheaper.
I didn't have too hard a time conforming to Android, but I also liked wm on my Treo pro.
I'll be with Android with all its lack of elegance for some time.
Old 02/19/2013, 06:56 PM   #16 (permalink)

I've got a Galaxy Nexus and a Nexus 7 waiting for Thursday to get here. Plan to take both of these offerings from Ubuntu for a full test ride. I'm with the OP... I think Ubuntu's going to pick up right where HP dropped the ball with WebOS...

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
gihmley is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 02/19/2013, 07:07 PM   #17 (permalink)

How does Ubuntu measure up in apps? I know there's more to it than apps, don't want to jump from one dead-in-the-water ship to another.
Old 02/19/2013, 10:39 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncot View Post
How does Ubuntu measure up in apps? I know there's more to it than apps, don't want to jump from one dead-in-the-water ship to another.
I am not aware of the current app status for Ubuntu, But they say it does run desktop apps that work on the ARM version of ubuntu. so right off the bat it will have a bunch of Linux programs. Which I think is pretty sweet.

Published TP Apps:
Anagramarama HD
Published Phone Apps
Anagramarama
DDII Free
Old 02/20/2013, 12:52 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
I must agree with you. For phone use, there are much more important stuff than elegant multi tasking.

anyway, Ubuntu for tablet looks interesting and it will be interesting to see it in action. Maybe there is slight chance it could run on Touchpad some day.
Old 02/20/2013, 01:28 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpollodiablo1 View Post

Click to view quoted video
Other operating syestems have multitasking in one form or another but the difference is that webos lets you be in charge. The way I do it is I have my most used app by itself and another four or so in a stack to the right and I just roll like that all day. Ulnless ubunto or z10 can do that it will be my pre2 for a very long time. Tablets I dont care that much about, just dont have time for so many devices. I have a touchpad only because it was made by palm
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternative to webos, ubuntu

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0