webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Other OS's and Devices > I think I might have found the first acceptable replacement for WebOS
I think I might have found the first acceptable replacement for WebOS
  Reply
Like Tree35Likes

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02/23/2013, 07:19 AM   #61 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 22
I absolutely love(d) the Macintosh user experience, (I've only ever owned a Mac ((since 1995 - and been using since 1989) it is a shame Apple have decided to shift towards an iOS look and function which is a complete disaster, as iOS is clunky. Yes it works, and is well integrated and quick, but it simply lacks the intuitive feel and use that Mac OS and WebOS have.

I have an iPhone 5 (along with a Veer I replaced a broken Pre 3 with), the iPhone 5 is a lovely phone, and to be honest as a Phone, it is basic and easy to use and looks cool, with Apps and if for Music and Apps, games, Video SMS/messages is all it's required for, and Multitasking is not an issue - it may be clunky but it sure as hell is most integrated and visually nicest user experience - which just works.

As a Tablet, my Touchpad is head and shoulders above my Missus's iPad 3. The iPad simply struggles to perform as intuitively and fluidly and nicely as my Touchpad - though the Touchpad lags because of the Hardware, never the OS.
Multitasking is a essential on a Tablet more so than on a Phone - for example, switching Apps, listening to a Youtube music while browsing or typing is a pain in the ****.

I just wish the Touchpad HARDWARE was better and faster - the User interface is brilliant.
I can't stand the jerkiness and ad hoc bolt ons that is Android, and my dad has a Blackberry Tablet which is quite nice, but can't compare to WebOS. The Windows Phone is refreshing, but long winded with tile after tile after tile, and the Multitasking isn't up to WebOS standards.

HP really royally shagged it all up.

I am going to take a look at Umbuntu, and see what it's all about.
Is it available in England?
le_risque is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by elpollodiablo1 likes this.
Old 02/23/2013, 07:30 AM   #62 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 74
I think one of the things that might make Ubuntu a winner is the fact that a lot of existing programs for the Ubuntu desktop that can (supposedly) be easily ported to the mobile version. If that's true then they'll have quite a huge catalogue at launch AND a Ubuntu desktop version that will work quite closely with your Ubuntu phone or tablet. This, I think, is probably the main missing component from Webos that rlnd is talking about where Webos veered off from Palmos, that tight integration with your Win or Mac desktop through Palm desktop. I've used Palm products all the way back to the Palm IIIe but I think the thing to keep in mind is that Palm had to move on. Palm OS Garnet was REALLY long in the tooth. There were also a ton of third party apps that addressed a lot of the shortcomings with that OS, an area that Webos never managed get sufficient support in. This was a big reason why Palm chose to launch Webos with a Palm OS emulator in the app catalogue to hopefully address some of those shortfalls in the short term until a native solution could be created.

What palm did with Webos was to look ahead to where they thought things were headed and that was that they firmly believed that the web was going to become a central part of everyone's lives, hence the name WEBos. In that respect I think they hit the nail right on the head. When I think of how much the web is now part of our daily lives, it's quite a change from where we were through the first ten years of 2000.

Palm's biggest issue was the fact that they couldn't get their product out to market fast enough. Imagine if Webos had released only a couple of months after iOS. To be honest, when I use iOS it reminds me of Palm OS. Lame, pseudo multi tasking, a grid arrangement of icons, being forced to use iTunes for everything ( similar to palm desktop ), and now it's iOS that is starting to look long in the tooth. Every update barely brings anything truly new to the party just more features grafted onto an ageing system. I feel like iOS is at the same spot now where Palm was back then, top of the heap but everyone else slowly chipping away at that lead.

Getting back to Ubuntu, I feel like the strategy companies are missing out on is that they need to sell more COMPLETE system options. I'm really surprised that a company like Samsung doesn't sell a full home entertainment option, like a TV that comes with a tablet that doubles as a tightly integrated remote control for that TV. Have the TV integrated with an internal hard drive and now you've got a home PVR. The tablet has access to the big media companies like Amazon where you can rent/download movies, music etc. This is the area where Ubuntu might have a shot. If they can convince someone big to use their software in an integrated way then they might be onto something big.

Last edited by mjensen71; 02/23/2013 at 07:36 AM.
mjensen71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by elpollodiablo1 and RumoredNow like this.
Thanked By: fatclue_98
Old 02/23/2013, 07:37 AM   #63 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjensen71 View Post
I think one of the things that might make Ubuntu a winner is the fact that a lot of existing programs for the Ubuntu desktop that can (supposedly) be easily ported to the mobile version. If that's true then they'll have quite a huge catalogue at launch AND a Ubuntu desktop version that will work quite closely with your Ubuntu phone or tablet. This, I think, is probably the main missing component from Webos that rlnd is talking about where Webos veered off from Palmos, that tight integration with your Win or Mac desktop through Palm desktop. I've used Palm products all the way back to the Palm IIIe but I think the thing to keep in mind is that Palm had to move on. Palm OS Garnet was REALLY long in the tooth. There were also a ton of third party apps that addressed a lot of the shortcomings with that OS, an area that Webos never managed get sufficient support in. This was a big reason why Palm chose to launch Webos with a Palm OS emulator in the app catalogue to hopefully address some of those shortfalls in the short term until a native solution could be created.

What palm did with Webos was to look ahead to where they thought things were headed and that was that they firmly believed that the web was going to become a central part of everyone's lives, hence the name WEBos. In that respect I think they hit the nail right on the head. When I think of how much the web is now part of our daily lives, it's quite a change from where we were through the first ten years of 2000.

Palm's biggest issue was the fact that they couldn't get their product out to market fast enough. Imagine if Webos had released only a couple of months after iOS. To be honest, when I use iOS it reminds me of Palm OS. Lame, pseudo multi tasking, a grid arrangement of icons, being forced to use iTunes for everything ( similar to palm desktop ), and now it's iOS that is starting to look long in the tooth. Every update barely brings anything truly new to the party just more features grafted onto an ageing system. I feel like iOS is at the same spot now where Palm was back then, top of the heap but everyone else slowly chipping away at that lead.

Getting back to Ubuntu, I feel like the strategy companies are missing out on is that they need to sell more COMPLETE system options. I'm really surprised that a company like Samsung doesn't sell a full home entertainment option, like a TV that comes with a tablet that doubles as a tightly integrated remote control for that TV. Have the TV integrated with an internal hard drive and now you've got a home PVR. The tablet has access to the big media companies like Amazon where you can rent/download movies, music etc. This is the area where Ubuntu might have a shot. If they can convince someone big to use their software in an integrated way then they might be onto something big.
True, iOS hasn't aged well. The basic core is there and other bits seem grafted on - the only thing they've managed to do right is get it to move FAST and stable with Great hardware, and of course the Apps just work.

I think Johnny Ive needs to do a radical rewrite.
le_risque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/23/2013, 10:29 AM   #64 (permalink)
Member
 
fatclue_98's Avatar
 
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
How good ubuntu is remains to be seen. Same thing they said about ICS and BB10
Ubuntu for desktop has been around for some time now. If you've ever meta-doctored, then you've had Ubuntu to thank.
fatclue_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/23/2013, 10:58 AM   #65 (permalink)
Member
 
laingman's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
Ubuntu for desktop has been around for some time now. If you've ever meta-doctored, then you've had Ubuntu to thank.
Ubuntu for phones I meant. Having been around here for a while I heard how ics was gonna put webOS to shame and more recently the coming of BB10 is going to be the savior of webos lovers longing for new hardware
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/23/2013, 11:51 AM   #66 (permalink)
Member
 
barryb20's Avatar
 
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_risque View Post
Is it available in England?
Yes it is I just installed Ubuntu on my Series 9 dual booting with Windows 8.

I have a MBP (well had, it died, not paying over 400 for a logic board!) and Ubuntu is a lot different user experience from OSX, more akin to Windows (Pre Win 8) imo.

You can try it with a USB install How to create a bootable USB stick on OS X | Ubuntu or DVD install How to burn a DVD on OS X | Ubuntu so don't need to worry about formatting your Mac.

If you are talking about Ubuntu Touch I have given my impressions on that i another thread here: Ubuntu touch, developer preview Nexus 7

Hope that's what your after?

Thanks,

Barry
barryb20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/23/2013, 01:56 PM   #67 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
Vistaus's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
Ubuntu for phones I meant. Having been around here for a while I heard how ics was gonna put webOS to shame and more recently the coming of BB10 is going to be the savior of webos lovers longing for new hardware
But BB10 is more similiar (or copied, actually) to MeeGo Harmattan and Jolla Sailfish OS (and that includes the up gesture that both MeeGo Harmattan and Sailfish have).

Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2013, 01:01 AM   #68 (permalink)
Tazmorator
 
berdinkerdickle's Avatar
 
Posts: 11,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
...clip...The thread is about the similarities of Ubuntu and webOS, not "I hate webOS because (insert punk ***** criticism here)".
Thanks for the reminder.
__________________
Just call me Berd.
berdinkerdickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2013, 12:05 PM   #69 (permalink)
Tazmorator
 
berdinkerdickle's Avatar
 
Posts: 11,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnld View Post
I use WebOS daily and I don't think that multi tasking is the only thing that makes your life simpler or easier. My Palm 755P was much more of a get the job done smart phone than WebOS.

WebOS kept none of the features that made Palm OS so popular and that is why it failed. People can blame HP or CEOs all day long but WebOS doesn't do anything "great".

Just my WebOS daily user opinion.

If webOS is so inferior to PalmOS - you were able to "get the job done" so much easier with your 755P, then why don't you just go back to using it?
__________________
Just call me Berd.
berdinkerdickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2013, 12:55 PM   #70 (permalink)
Member
 
fatclue_98's Avatar
 
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
If webOS is so inferior to PalmOS - you were able to "get the job done" so much easier with your 755P, then why don't you just go back to using it?
Ouch! I certainly won't defend rnld's comment but I think I know where he's coming from. None of the Palm OS devices ever made it past EDGE on GSM or Rev.0 on CDMA so "going back" is simply not an option. But you have to agree that the 755's form factor is superior to any webOS device. That keyboard, how I miss that keyboard! If rnld's work only involves shooting emails and sms, then his comment carries weight. I know I can type a helluva lot faster on a Treo keyboard than my Pre3.
fatclue_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2013, 01:06 PM   #71 (permalink)
Tazmorator
 
berdinkerdickle's Avatar
 
Posts: 11,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
Ouch! I certainly won't defend rnld's comment but I think I know where he's coming from. None of the Palm OS devices ever made it past EDGE on GSM or Rev.0 on CDMA so "going back" is simply not an option. But you have to agree that the 755's form factor is superior to any webOS device. That keyboard, how I miss that keyboard! If rnld's work only involves shooting emails and sms, then his comment carries weight. I know I can type a helluva lot faster on a Treo keyboard than my Pre3.
That's actually a very good point that I overlooked. As far as the radio and internet, they were truly left behind.
As far as the "Ouch" comment, I'm not sure why you say that.
I really couldn't see why someone would stop using the 755P when it filled their needs so well, and moved to webOS when they say it doesn't fill their needs.

.
I do really miss my TreoPro on At&t.
To me, that was the best treo ever.
I really did like WM Professional.
__________________
Just call me Berd.
berdinkerdickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 02/27/2013, 01:18 PM   #72 (permalink)
Rnp
Member
 
Rnp's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,291
I liked the Treo Pro, but I don't like the WM Pro.

What I really, really, really miss is the Documents To Go V.11 for Palm OS.

To me, no one Office Suite is better than that... I never created a new office file since my Treo 680...


Best Regards...
__________________
"If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
(Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
Rnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2013, 01:20 PM   #73 (permalink)
Member
 
fatclue_98's Avatar
 
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
That's actually a very good point that I overlooked. As far as the radio and internet, they were truly left behind.
As far as the "Ouch" comment, I'm not sure why you say that.
I really couldn't see why someone would stop using the 755P when it filled their needs so well, and moved to webOS when they say it doesn't fill their needs.

.
I do really miss my TreoPro on At&t.
To me, that was the best treo ever.
I really did like WM Professional.
The ouch was because, to me, your response sounded harsh. Kind of like what I used to hear in the seventies here in S. Fl. "if you don't like it here, why don't you go back where you came from". Funny thing is that 40 years later, I still hate the heat and humidity of Miami.

The Treo Pro was missing one little item from being the best all-around WM device: hardware soft keys. I don't know why Palm omitted them on their last, and best, device.
fatclue_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2013, 01:22 PM   #74 (permalink)
Member
 
fatclue_98's Avatar
 
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
I liked the Treo Pro, but I don't like the WM Pro.

What I really, really, really miss is the Documents To Go V.11 for Palm OS.

To me, no one Office Suite is better than that... I never created a new office file since my Treo 680...


Best Regards...
You really need to try Smart Office P.

Makes DocsToGo look like a Dr. Seuss book.
fatclue_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Vistaus likes this.
Old 02/27/2013, 01:30 PM   #75 (permalink)
Tazmorator
 
berdinkerdickle's Avatar
 
Posts: 11,058
I guess it's fair to say it sounded a little harsh.
I apologize.
__________________
Just call me Berd.
berdinkerdickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Tags
alternative to webos, ubuntu

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0