webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Other OS's and Devices > I think I might have found the first acceptable replacement for WebOS
I think I might have found the first acceptable replacement for WebOS
Like Tree35Likes

Old 02/21/2013, 12:40 PM   #41 (permalink)

For me the Convergence of my phone, laptop and tablet is what inspires me the most. the killer feature if the Ubuntu Phone is that you could plug it into a large screen/mouse/keyboard and use it as a desktop. I'll happily spend my budget for both my computer, and phone to get a high-performance device that can do both.
Syndiotactic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2013, 02:37 PM   #42 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

A first preview of the process and the results at sister site Android Central: Ubuntu Touch developer preview: What you need to know | Android Central

And the wiki from Canonical: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Install

Last edited by RumoredNow; 02/21/2013 at 02:48 PM.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2013, 04:53 PM   #43 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnld View Post
I use WebOS daily and I don't think that multi tasking is the only thing that makes your life simpler or easier. My Palm 755P was much more of a get the job done smart phone than WebOS.

WebOS kept none of the features that made Palm OS so popular and that is why it failed. People can blame HP or CEOs all day long but WebOS doesn't do anything "great".

Just my WebOS daily user opinion.
That is why if failed? And what about the webOS users (like me for example) that never used PalmOS?
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2013, 04:59 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
That is why if failed? And what about the webOS users (like me for example) that never used PalmOS?
It's a small group of users. Palm was very popular. WebOS was not. That is fact, not opinion.
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2013, 02:50 AM   #45 (permalink)
Tazmorator

Quote:
It's a small group of users. Palm was very popular. WebOS was not. That is fact, not opinion.
But you're using the 'facts' of popularity to argue which OS is/was superior.
Back then, Palm ruled the Portable Personal Electronic Assistant. What really were the choices then? PalmOS or ?
When webOS (the OS) came out, it was given rave reviews. PalmOS users were flocking to webOS because Palm was who they were hoping in.
Go back to in these forums and read all the disappointment that all our palm apps were gone with PalmOS.
webOS execution 1; Junk hardware.
People raved how they loved webOS, but the hardware was cheap.
After a couple more botched attempts to get webOS out there, the userbase fell away. The developers moved onto the bigger userbase.
So less and less users - less and less chance for success.
Apple did things right, and Android did things right. Though they both had their own stratigy.
Apple built solid reliable easy to use devices with great support, and they're reaping the fruitage many times over.
Both Palm and HP botched their execution of webOS. But it wasn't the inferiority of the OS.
Obviously, early Android didn't succeed because of its ease of use and stability of an OS - far from it.
Old 02/22/2013, 03:28 AM   #46 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

There is little wrong with the Veer and Pre3 hardware wise. HP WAS on the right track with those. Compared to a Pre2 the Pre3 is really a big improvement in all possible aspects.

If they would have only given it a bit more love it could have succeeded without any doubt.

Touchpad is a different story, the hardware is OK, but it was 2nd rate hardware because Apple used up all 1st rate hardware already. Touchpad is still quite fine hardware wise, but it's a bit thick and heave compared to the competitors.

Still it's one of the best tablets you can buy for the money, even today when they go around $ 200,- for a 32GB.
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by berdinkerdickle likes this.
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 02/22/2013, 04:10 AM   #47 (permalink)

I absolutely believe that WebOS failed because it turned it's back on Palm users and didn't compete with the other options out there. No question the early hardware stunk.

Palm OS, Blackberry, iPhone were all out in 2007 when the 755P was released. So was the sidekick.

The iPhone predates the Pre by 2 years. The iPhone 3G by 1 year. The iPhone 3GS was released around a week after the Pre. The Palm Centro was the 2nd rated smart phone in internet traffic in 2008.

They blew it with the Pre and WebOS in my opinion. Yet - I still use a WebOS phone because it has a physical keyboard.

I get why some like WebOS but it's now just a tinkerers platform.
Old 02/22/2013, 04:36 AM   #48 (permalink)
Tazmorator

Personal Digital Assistant.
1997 Palm Pilot.
By 2004, when the 650 was released, (which was huge) what else was there?
By the time the 700, this place (TC) was booming because, yes, PalmOS ruled.
We here at TC became less active by the time of the 755. Because there were more choices as you mentioned.
This isn't meant as a history lesson (I'm not being snarky)
This is just clarifying why Palm ruled then.
Not because it was a better OS than webOS.

Yes, PalmOS users left by the thousands because PalmOS was no more.
And there was no ease of transition to webOS - despite Classic.
I personally left PalmOS for the TreoPro.
I actually liked WM.
So I didn't feel as betrayed as I know many here felt.
The bitterness in these forums was unprecedented.
Old 02/22/2013, 05:07 AM   #49 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
There is little wrong with the Veer and Pre3 hardware wise. HP WAS on the right track with those. Compared to a Pre2 the Pre3 is really a big improvement in all possible aspects.

If they would have only given it a bit more love it could have succeeded without any doubt.

Touchpad is a different story, the hardware is OK, but it was 2nd rate hardware because Apple used up all 1st rate hardware already. Touchpad is still quite fine hardware wise, but it's a bit thick and heave compared to the competitors.

Still it's one of the best tablets you can buy for the money, even today when they go around $ 200,- for a 32GB.
Indeed. My Pre 3 even impressed some iPhone 4S users in my area. The Pre 3 has a decent CPU (well, at the time it hit market at least) and everything feels snappy without disabling logging. Plus the build quality is really, really good. They should've pushed the Pre 3 out first instead of the Veer. But the Pre 3 definetly was on the right track. It could've made a change if only they gave it a chance and poured some money into marketing it.
The Touchpad hardware-wise is also not that bad. They should've optimized it a bit more but hey, with overclocking to 1,5 GHz it flies. It's a bit thick indeed but that's not really what killed it because other thick tablets were selling quite fine. They should've opted for a rubber back though because the plastic makes it hard too hold (slippery). But otherwise, the Touchpad is decent once you overclock it a bit. For 399 instead of 499 it would've sold much better.
Old 02/22/2013, 02:19 PM   #50 (permalink)

I'm not bitter. My Treo 600 lasted from 2003 until the 755P was released in 2007. I joined this forum when I got the 755P. There was nobody more excited about WebOS being released than I was. Then I got a Pre but took it back because every time the slider was used, it rebooted. I eventually got a Pixi that I still use today although the rubber is coming off. On a scale of 1 to 10 and understanding that it is underpowered, having a keyboard is a 10, everything else is a 2. It's my only mobile phone.

My wife a loooong time palm user - back to the pilot days, had enough of WebOS and got a Photon that she doesn't fully love but thinks it's a million times better than WebOS.

Just 2 people's opinions.
Old 02/22/2013, 02:29 PM   #51 (permalink)
Tazmorator

I'm sorry, I wasn't attempting to imply you might be bitter.
But man o man! So many hung out here to **** and moan instead of just getting over it and moving on.
When Palm didn't do what I wanted, I just went somewhere else (Android).
But I saw no point in hanging out here to complain that webOS wasn't what I wanted.

As to the physical keyboard; I thought it would be a big deal to me. But now I prefer my soft keyboard on my ThunderBolt.
Old 02/22/2013, 02:37 PM   #52 (permalink)

Just an FYI the iPhone 4 was released at the same time the Pre 2 was released on Verizon. It's tough to get a new user to go with the Pre 2 and not the iPhone 4. The Evo had been out for a year when the Pre 2 was released. The Pre 2 was yesterday's news at that point.
Old 02/22/2013, 02:40 PM   #53 (permalink)

I don't ***** and moan. That's an unfair statement. I am a user so I read the forum and sometimes correct misinformation. Simple.

I doubt I will ever enjoy a virtual keyboard.
Old 02/22/2013, 03:31 PM   #54 (permalink)
Tazmorator

Quote:
Just an FYI the iPhone 4 was released at the same time the Pre 2 was released on Verizon. It's tough to get a new user to go with the Pre 2 and not the iPhone 4. The Evo had been out for a year when the Pre 2 was released. The Pre 2 was yesterday's news at that point.
I'm not sure where you're going with this.

Quote:
I don't ***** and moan. That's an unfair statement. I am a user so I read the forum and sometimes correct misinformation. Simple.

I doubt I will ever enjoy a virtual keyboard.
I was talking about those back when PalmOS users hung out here to vent their disappointment over and over.
I would say to them; Move on and let those who enjoy webOS, enjoy the forums designed to assists those who like webOS.
Old 02/22/2013, 04:26 PM   #55 (permalink)

I was making an observation as to when the Pre 2 was released what the competition was.
Old 02/22/2013, 08:13 PM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
I'm sorry, I wasn't attempting to imply you might be bitter.
But man o man! So many hung out here to **** and moan instead of just getting over it and moving on.
When Palm didn't do what I wanted, I just went somewhere else (Android).
But I saw no point in hanging out here to complain that webOS wasn't what I wanted.

As to the physical keyboard; I thought it would be a big deal to me. But now I prefer my soft keyboard on my ThunderBolt.
I like the virtual keyboard for just type, making calls and in general when it's awkward to open the slider. It takes more concentration tho

I like the physical keyboard for same reason I love to drive stick shift. Really enjoy running my fingers across the keys. Also I got my volume cranked up and I LOVE to hear that sound it makes when it changes a word for me.

Also to talk on my pre2 with the slider open feels just right to me
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 02/22/2013, 10:23 PM   #57 (permalink)

For a minute there I thought I was on XDA, this thread has evolved from the OP's query to a typical round of webOS vs. the world. The thread is about the similarities of Ubuntu and webOS, not "I hate webOS because (insert punk ***** criticism here)". Mods, please don't flog me for my colorful use of the Queen's English.
fatclue_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by HelloNNNewman likes this.
Old 02/22/2013, 10:29 PM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
For a minute there I thought I was on XDA, this thread has evolved from the OP's query to a typical round of webOS vs. the world. The thread is about the similarities of Ubuntu and webOS, not "I hate webOS because (insert punk ***** criticism here)". Mods, please don't flog me for my colorful use of the Queen's English.
How good ubuntu is remains to be seen. Same thing they said about ICS and BB10
Old 02/23/2013, 06:00 AM   #59 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
I'm not bitter. My Treo 600 lasted from 2003 until the 755P was released in 2007. I joined this forum when I got the 755P. There was nobody more excited about WebOS being released than I was. Then I got a Pre but took it back because every time the slider was used, it rebooted. I eventually got a Pixi that I still use today although the rubber is coming off. On a scale of 1 to 10 and understanding that it is underpowered, having a keyboard is a 10, everything else is a 2. It's my only mobile phone.

My wife a loooong time palm user - back to the pilot days, had enough of WebOS and got a Photon that she doesn't fully love but thinks it's a million times better than WebOS.

Then try the Pre 3 because the Pre 3 really is the best webOS phone to date. Solid hardware, not underpowered at all (if you're an heavy user you only need to disable the logging).
Old 02/23/2013, 07:10 AM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:

Thats a bad statement. A phone the photon is not better than webos. Newer, bigger, faster but not better that webos. What are you doing with a pixie if the photon is one million times better. Just move on and be done with it

Tags
alternative to webos, ubuntu

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0