webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Other OS's and Devices > I think I might have found the first acceptable replacement for WebOS
I think I might have found the first acceptable replacement for WebOS
Like Tree35Likes

Old 02/20/2013, 01:31 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalx View Post
I must agree with you. For phone use, there are much more important stuff than elegant multi tasking.

anyway, Ubuntu for tablet looks interesting and it will be interesting to see it in action. Maybe there is slight chance it could run on Touchpad some day.
What could possibly more important that multi-tasking? Apps selection I suppose, anything else?
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/20/2013, 01:35 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
Yeah, I quit being an early adopter years back.
In all technology, I try to stay a year behind.
This also allows me to get things cheaper.
I didn't have too hard a time conforming to Android, but I also liked wm on my Treo pro.
I'll be with Android with all its lack of elegance for some time.
You are a bigger man than me conforming to android that easily. I pick up a S3 and pull down the shade thing, then have to reach all the way down to the bottom to push it back up. I just shake my head in disgust
Old 02/20/2013, 01:54 AM   #23 (permalink)

Htc has decided to remove the dedicated multitasking button and gone back to the double tap method claiming that people don't use it enough. I'm like that's interesting, probly true
Old 02/20/2013, 06:31 AM   #24 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAMISHO View Post
It's amazing, I would miss is the way webos multitasking, use cards to move, although applications will look great I love some of Enyo, and I wonder if it will have something like synergy?, If so, my next tablet Ubuntu will, but the phone still does not convince me obuntu.
Synergy is there in the form of Online Accounts (that's what it's called on Ubuntu). And Enyo apps run just fine in Firefox on Ubuntu Desktop so I would assume that Firefox on Ubuntu Tablet would also be able to run Enyo apps. Note: Enyo 2 apps, Enyo 1 isn't even working right on Chrome.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/20/2013, 11:20 AM   #25 (permalink)

Yes WebOS has multi cards that open at the same time, but small screens, no updates and it's cluttered. Just this user's opinion.
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/20/2013, 11:47 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnld View Post
Yes WebOS has multi cards that open at the same time, but small screens, no updates and it's cluttered. Just this user's opinion.
I can appreciate the opinion

For me it just works and works well. Being able to minimize the apps to a card view and simply flip from one to the other is incredibly quick and easy for me. Going from email over to a company website over to another website for separate info, then back to email. Simple and uncluttered to me.

... and as far as the 'no updates' comment... duh. There won't be any for a while.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by johncampanale likes this.
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 02/20/2013, 12:15 PM   #27 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gihmley View Post
I've got a Galaxy Nexus and a Nexus 7 waiting for Thursday to get here. Plan to take both of these offerings from Ubuntu for a full test ride. I'm with the OP... I think Ubuntu's going to pick up right where HP dropped the ball with WebOS...
And we'll want constant updates right here.

Based on rwhitby saying don't buy anything assuming Open webOS porting might succeed, I never even looked at a Gnex.

Now I'm kicking myself in the behind for not having one on hand.

That's no slam at the Ports team either. Obviously the Canonical mob has a lot of players working hard on this project. It's ambitious as heck and they must have been at it for quite some time to be where they are at...
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/20/2013, 12:34 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post

For me it just works and works well. Being able to minimize the apps to a card view and simply flip from one to the other is incredibly quick and easy for me. Going from email over to a company website over to another website for separate info, then back to email. Simple and uncluttered to me.

... and as far as the 'no updates' comment... duh. There won't be any for a while.
Well, I don't appreciate the opinion. Yours on the other hand I agree with.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/20/2013, 02:20 PM   #29 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
...I never even looked at a Gnex.

Now I'm kicking myself in the behind for not having one on hand...

[Solved] Best Offer accepted at eBay for a used GNex 19520M, arriving by post from the friendly Canadians.

gihmley, I'll be a few days behind you.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/20/2013, 03:01 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post

There will never be another update for WebOS. Open WebOS is another story, but that won't work on anything Palm or HP.
Old 02/20/2013, 03:29 PM   #31 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

No official update, I could see an unofficial update/service pack in the future...

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Thanked by johncampanale, Vistaus
Old 02/20/2013, 04:31 PM   #32 (permalink)

The thing that bums me about the possibility of moving to another OS is that I would miss webOS' multitasking. I don't think I could get by without it at work. And, for me, it's great to use at church. I can have a Bible app, Note-taking app, and the online sermon notes web page open at the same time, gesturing back and forth as needed. I NEED multi-tasking!!
semprini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/20/2013, 04:39 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by semprini View Post
The thing that bums me about the possibility of moving to another OS is that I would miss webOS' multitasking. I don't think I could get by without it at work. And, for me, it's great to use at church. I can have a Bible app, Note-taking app, and the online sermon notes web page open at the same time, gesturing back and forth as needed. I NEED multi-tasking!!
And a magnifying glass!
Old 02/20/2013, 07:06 PM   #34 (permalink)

I use WebOS daily and I don't think that multi tasking is the only thing that makes your life simpler or easier. My Palm 755P was much more of a get the job done smart phone than WebOS.

WebOS kept none of the features that made Palm OS so popular and that is why it failed. People can blame HP or CEOs all day long but WebOS doesn't do anything "great".

Just my WebOS daily user opinion.
Old 02/20/2013, 08:17 PM   #35 (permalink)

I find it interesting to see all the comments saying that multi-tasking isn't necessary, which of course, it isn't, at least not to sell devices to the masses... (Unless they're PC's...which all modern people are currently familiar with)
But unless you've seriously used webOS, you have no idea how much it makes your device simpler, and easier to do practical work with. It's easy to say that "well you can to back to the menu an re-open an app and look at it to see what you need, and then you can go back to the menu again and re-open the first app again and act on that info.". But if they are both open and all you do is swipe left copy and swipe right and paste, its waaaaay easier. And to be able to see both at the same time in invaluable in many cases. I find that I don't work in a linear fashion, so I want to be able to flip to anything at any time to move, copy, share, compose and paste and not have to go into a "home screen" to find what I'm already working on. And on a tablet, or a phone, its even more important, because you can't just click your taskbar and go back to another app, and they are MOBILE devices, which means most of the time you are using them you are not sitting in a dedicated place and you need to work easily, with a minimum of "clicks" and "swipes" to get something done on the fly. I could never be "comfortable" working with Android or iOS. ( I have cm9 on my TP, and I've used iOS too). I could train myself to accept it if that was my only option. And I see people who have trained themselves to be able to use those OS's remarkably fast. But an OS or UI should compliment the user, not limit them, or require unnecessary steps to navigate all the things they are involved in at any one point in time. And with webOS and real multi-tasking, the way we are all accustomed to functioning, is far simpler and natural, and makes it just easy to do what you want to do.
So yes, you can get the job done with any platform, but why not get it done naturally, the way you're accustomed to and beautifully efficiently?

I like the ubuntu concept, and they appear to have done a very good job of improving the other-than-webOS experience, and have taken up the value of gestures. I'm interested in it from an ecosystem standpoint and the potential for a more unified experience between devices. If they are successful in delivering on all their promises it will be a compelling option for many of us. But lets remember that we need to be able to interact with multiple apps at the same time without having to go through unnatural machinations to make it a practical system for the humans that need to get things done in the most natural, practical manner.

Pre3 is here !! Loving it
Sprint FrankenPre2 - Touchpad - Homebrew galore
History: Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Palm Pre

Last edited by hulickr; 02/20/2013 at 08:34 PM. Reason: spelling (yeah, I'm anal)
hulickr is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by broncot and elpollodiablo1 like this.
Old 02/20/2013, 08:56 PM   #36 (permalink)

What's needed on a smartphone is a solid contact system - NOT google or yahoo, a hearty calendar, the ability to view a document, pdf or spreadsheet then web browsing, etc.
Old 02/20/2013, 09:12 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpollodiablo1 View Post
Very Easily Actually:

Can you multitask on IOS, and none of that psudotasking? .
With jailbreaking which is legal, you can install some apps/tweaks that allow you swipe left and right to get to prior app, there is an app task switcher that can be gotten to fairly easily. Someone figured out recently also how to create a generic "patches" app that lets people publish their own patches. The jailbreak is a fairly one or two button simple solution as long as you make sure not to update to an o/s version which is not supported as Apple does not allow you to downgrade.

I still use the touchpad daily and would likely take it for travel work purposes as long as it had ubuntu or android dual-booted for browser issues.
But the LTE network and the stability of the IOS browser makes the iphone very reliable and the phone opens attachments easily so that is also very helpful. The sandboxing makes it hard to attach something to an email rather than starting from where the attachment lies and there are both app store and jailbreak workarounds but I have not had time to explore them yet, I am using tablets with bluetooth keyboards mostly for longer emails or the laptop. The reliability for work when I travel though is very key and a relief. I am a big fan of webOS but it is less and less reliable browser wise as it gets further away from the Leo webOS killer date.

I would really like to know if this ubuntu touch preview could be booted or dual booted on the touchpad....
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/20/2013, 09:18 PM   #38 (permalink)

You can multitask on an iPhone, just not have multiple windows open at once. Just hold down the home key and a list of active icons appear that can be brought to the screen. A music app like pandora will play even when not on the screen if you choose.
Old 02/20/2013, 09:52 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnld View Post
You can multitask on an iPhone, just not have multiple windows open at once. Just hold down the home key and a list of active icons appear that can be brought to the screen. A music app like pandora will play even when not on the screen if you choose.
Do iphone users even bother with that multitasking you talking about? It seems to me that if HTC claims that users don't even use the dedicated multitasking button that there is even less use of the double tap
Old 02/20/2013, 10:16 PM   #40 (permalink)

I do.. But I'm a dedicated multi-tasker. . I've managed with inferior multitasking since the days of Windows Mobile 5. It isn't as nice as webOS, but it works as long as the apps are coded to handle it.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternative to webos, ubuntu

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0