webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Other OS's and Devices > BB10 Stealing from webOS DRASTICALLY
BB10 Stealing from webOS DRASTICALLY
Like Tree16Likes

Old 01/30/2013, 02:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

This is an official problem until open webOS is fully released. We need a class action lawsuit
boovish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/30/2013, 02:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Specific examples?
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/30/2013, 03:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

Chill.

1) webOS is now open source (and was fully released four months ago). There's not much to prevent copying of things like the user interface anymore.

2) A class action suit is on behalf of a large segment of aggrieved customers, say people who saw their contacts/calendars/memos wiped out by faults in the Palm Profile system. You might be thinking of a patent suit, but in that case, see point the first.

3) BB10 actually doesn't steal that much from webOS. They use app card "frames" for multitasking, but they're displayed in a grid and you can only have eight open at once, and you get to the multitasking grid by swiping up. The BlackBerry PlayBook stole so much more from the webOS user interface paradigm and HP laughed it off as "a fast imitation".
Liked by Rnp, dignitary, OldSkoolVWLover and 1 others like this.
Old 01/30/2013, 07:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
Chill.

1) webOS is now open source (and was fully released four months ago). There's not much to prevent copying of things like the user interface anymore.

2) A class action suit is on behalf of a large segment of aggrieved customers, say people who saw their contacts/calendars/memos wiped out by faults in the Palm Profile system. You might be thinking of a patent suit, but in that case, see point the first.

3) BB10 actually doesn't steal that much from webOS. They use app card "frames" for multitasking, but they're displayed in a grid and you can only have eight open at once, and you get to the multitasking grid by swiping up. The BlackBerry PlayBook stole so much more from the webOS user interface paradigm and HP laughed it off as "a fast imitation".
Oh than please disregard this thread
boovish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/31/2013, 04:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

The multitasking part is not stolen from webOS but from MeeGo/Sailfish OS.
The PlayBook is indeed stolen.

If HP should sue anyone then it'd be Google because Daydream is a blunt copy of Exhibition Mode and Exhibition Mode isn't open sourced by HP.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by boovish likes this.
Old 01/31/2013, 05:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah, not much there that's all that similar to webos. Sorry for the people who were counting on moving to BB as a reasonable substitute.

The cards are on a grid, only eight, can't move or stack them. Don't see any flicking off the screen to close, No advanced gestures or full screen to full green method.

I would bet they decided it was safer not to go crazy imitating webos and risk lawsuit, maybe if the playbook was more successful it would have been worth the risk
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/31/2013, 10:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yeah, excatly what has me excited to take this new BB for a spin. I see synergy in the Hub. I see elegant multitasking in Flow. There's just type on the physical keyboard model.

Of course it could all be like 2009 all over again, where a once-great Corp comes up with a brilliant play at the last second of 4th-and-long but the ball gets dropped by receiver Leo in the end zone, at the end of a 16-month pass.

*crossing fingers* it doesn't come to pass.
Old 01/31/2013, 11:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauro1 View Post
Yeah, excatly what has me excited to take this new BB for a spin. I see synergy in the Hub. I see elegant multitasking in Flow. There's just type on the physical keyboard model.

Of course it could all be like 2009 all over again, where a once-great Corp comes up with a brilliant play at the last second of 4th-and-long but the ball gets dropped by receiver Leo in the end zone, at the end of a 16-month pass.

*crossing fingers* it doesn't come to pass.
Actually I have seen a few videos of flow and it looks pretty impressive which it should be, they had a long time to figure it out and no doubt will be continually improving it.

Plus with new hardware it should be mighty fast
Old 02/01/2013, 02:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

BB10 intrigues me. the "multi" tasking limit of only 8 open apps is not a huge issue for me as I don' often have more than 8 things open on my Pre3 or Veer at one time anyway. I like the gestures and the hardware looks slick.
Old 02/01/2013, 03:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

My impression is that the BlackBerry Hub is a better implementation of webOS' Synergy. At least when reading about it my first thought has been "they have copied webOS Synergy". But I still have to try it myself to see how well it works in reality. I also like the peek gesture to have a look into the inbox.
Old 02/01/2013, 04:30 AM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
Actually I have seen a few videos of flow and it looks pretty impressive which it should be, they had a long time to figure it out and no doubt will be continually improving it.

Plus with new hardware it should be mighty fast
Don't count your horses on that, latest news says Blackberry's net worth dropped down immensive after the presentation of BB10.
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 02/01/2013, 04:47 AM   #12 (permalink)

Thing I don't like is the led. I prefer to know what arrived instead of having to check. Have to check out this flow thing myself to see how exactly it works. Hard to tell from videos
Liked by Rnp and kataran like this.
Old 02/04/2013, 12:16 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Thing I don't like is the led. I prefer to know what arrived instead of having to check. Have to check out this flow thing myself to see how exactly it works. Hard to tell from videos
I know what you're saying. incoming notifications need to be acted on by swiping right. Looks like the OS gives the user a sound notification, but no quick preview unless you swipe to view.

I do like how BB10 separates your business and personal information. Companies IT departments now have the ability to control or wipe their data, without touching yours. Very interesting.
ariker01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover and Vistaus like this.
Old 02/04/2013, 10:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
I do like how BB10 separates your business and personal information. Companies IT departments now have the ability to control or wipe their data, without touching yours. Very interesting.
Divide (The Divide platform enables BYOD mobility - Divide) does the same on Android/iOS. I use it on my LG Optimus G and it works just fine.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2013, 04:15 AM   #15 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
Divide (The Divide platform enables BYOD mobility - Divide) does the same on Android/iOS. I use it on my LG Optimus G and it works just fine.
Yes, but BB10 does that without a 3rd party app and it does it with instant profile changing in the same interface and stuff.
Old 02/05/2013, 12:36 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
The LED is there because it uses less battery power than lighting up the whole LCD screen.
samab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2013, 12:53 PM   #17 (permalink)

Actually, using different LED blink patterns and vibrate patterns for different event classes is better than lighting up the screen. I keep my phone in my pocket, and from the way it vibrates I know whether I got a text or an email or a social network notification. I can put my phone on my desk, work, glance at it every once in a while and be able to identify what type of notification it is.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2013, 05:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

The only thing stolen is the Just Type functionality. Even Michael Fisher of Pocketnow (who still uses his HP Touchpad up till today) admitted that in the BB10 review.
Old 02/05/2013, 05:50 PM   #19 (permalink)

I somehow crashed the demo Z10 at the local Bell store, just by entering a calendar event...

Pry my keyboard from my stone dead hands. I dare you. Death to all slates.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2013, 08:34 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
Yes, but BB10 does that without a 3rd party app and it does it with instant profile changing in the same interface and stuff.
that is really cool from an IT enterprise stand point, too bad it's a lil late as many places have gone to bring your own device programs.

I still am intrigued by BB10, this feature may have kept places from opening up when they were still BB centric. Lots of ITs have opened up the last few years.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0