webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Other OS's and Devices > BB10 Stealing from webOS DRASTICALLY
BB10 Stealing from webOS DRASTICALLY
Like Tree16Likes

Old 02/05/2013, 09:02 PM   #21 (permalink)

At this point, I welcome..
No BEG!... any hardware company to copy webOS, put all of its useful features into some hardware, bring back the features we all came to love and dearly miss on other platforms... Those confused folks at hp won't do it.

Please, SOMEONE, STEAL FROM WEBOS!

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX, but webOS is always in me...
MDsmartphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by C-Note likes this.
Old 02/06/2013, 04:36 AM   #22 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

NO. Just NO. As much as I love webOS, webOS is not webOS if it's copied out by someone. Just leave webOS like it is, add a few much-needed features and put it on some new hardware. That's all that's needed.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2013, 02:22 PM   #23 (permalink)

You guys are going to love BB10. I just had my phone shipped since it won't launch till March, and it is AMAZING! I realize that it has been ages since I've had my Pre 2, but this is so much better. I can understand why some of you don't like that notifications don't pop up when in an app, but after a while, it becomes extremely intuitive. Nothing distracts you from what you're doing. Each app takes 100% of the screen real estate. If you want to see the notification, or the time, battery, signal, etc., you swipe up very slightly and everything is shown...you can take your finger off to go back to the app (which doesn't pause at all during this process), or you can keep swiping to the right and the hub shows up with all notifications and such.

Performance, obviously, is much better than WebOS, and not even my Nexus 4 compares to the speed of BB10. You really have to use this thing to realize how blazingly fast it is. In a lot of areas, (like the keyboard), it is more responsive than iOS! Oh, and the coolest thing is being able to turn on the screen with a quick swipe up. If you keep your finger and swipe back down, the screen goes off right away. Very cool way of seeing your notifications quickly. Obviously, continuing the swipe up a little more unlocks the screen.

P.S. If you guys see the store demo, it is horrible! It's a crappy app that has nothing to do with the OS. Hopefully, they'll fix it before US launch, but I suggest trying to play around with one that isn't stuck in the demo app.
InvalidUser0510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Lightscapes likes this.
Old 02/07/2013, 03:33 PM   #24 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

That swipe up from the lock screen to wake the device instead of pressing the power button is actually not invented by BB as that was on MeeGo already.

But I have to admit: I'm not a BB fan at all but BB10 actually looks amazing. The card view reminds me of MeeGo and Jolla Sailfish OS but nonetheless very nice. The biggest thing I don't like is the Z10 design so *if* I ever come to a point where I'd get a BB then I'll hope they have a better design in place.
Old 02/07/2013, 03:36 PM   #25 (permalink)

Still lots and lots of OS tweaking to do (kinda like webOS 1.x), but it's got promise if they listen to the users feedback and update quickly.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2013, 04:28 PM   #26 (permalink)

Does z10 have touchstone? If not I just cant do it, sorry.
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2013, 05:25 PM   #27 (permalink)

I haven't seen/heard of any inductive charging for BB10
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2013, 05:52 PM   #28 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
I haven't seen/heard of any inductive charging for BB10
Not only that but the Z10 itself isn't even equipped with... well, whatever's necessary to wirelessy charge it.
Old 02/07/2013, 06:39 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
Does z10 have touchstone? If not I just cant do it, sorry.
No, it doesn't have inductive charging. However, it does have a removable battery door, so just like the S3, it is definitely possible for an after market battery door that allows inductive charging.

P.S. I had a Nexus 4 before the Z10, and I have to say that inductive charging on it is complete garbage! I've had it turn off a few times even though it says charging, or it stops charging midway for some reason and I come back to find it half charged, etc. I had so much issues with it that I started charging it solely via USB. It's definitely not as reliable as my Pre 2 was.
InvalidUser0510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2013, 10:08 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvalidUser0510 View Post
No, it doesn't have inductive charging. However, it does have a removable battery door, so just like the S3, it is definitely possible for an after market battery door that allows inductive charging.
This is what I was thinking too, the SGS3 didn't come with it out of the box, but technically it is capable, probably in a slightly different way than the Z10, but this stuff is evolving on various platforms.
Old 02/08/2013, 04:04 AM   #31 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Yeah, but the software needs to support it too. And even if BB10 supports it, then there is still the problem of placing the things right on the battery door so it'll be a tricky process nonetheless.
Old 02/08/2013, 04:08 AM   #32 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

The difference between the S3 and the Z10 when it comes to adding inductive charging support is that the S3 when announced was supposed to have inductive charging, so it has exposed contacts when you remove the battery door that can be repurposed for Touchstone charging. The Z10 has no such contacts, so you'd be hacking directly into the battery connection, which is significantly more difficult and risky.
Liked by dignitary likes this.
Thanked By: dignitary
Old 02/08/2013, 07:06 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
Yeah, but the software needs to support it too. And even if BB10 supports it, then there is still the problem of placing the things right on the battery door so it'll be a tricky process nonetheless.
I dunno about the software part.... webOS internals (Rod at least) has been modifying devices for inductive charging for a while. As Derek just pointed out, it may take more work, but it's not a software issue. I think what you are thinking about is exhibition which is software, running CM on a touchpad inductive charging still works, but the exhibition part isn't the same as webOS. Basically if you add inductive charging to any device, you won't see exactly what you see from webOS you will see what you would see when the phone is normally plugged in because it won't know the difference.
Old 02/09/2013, 04:00 AM   #34 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I'm not talking about Exhibition Mode, I'm talking about the fact that the software needs to know somehow that it's being charged wirelessly instead of via a cable.
Android already supported wireless charging before the Nexus 4 because of the Linux kernel supporting it for a long time so it's easy to hack such devices, like Rod does. But BB10 isn't based on the Linux kernel and AFAIK they haven't build their own support into the software side for it (like MS with WP8).
Old 02/09/2013, 05:53 AM   #35 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

Technically it doesn't need to know it's being charged wirelessly, if you hack it together correctly. If you get the power going in through the USB port where it'd normally be charging it'd never know the difference.
Old 02/09/2013, 06:27 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
Technically it doesn't need to know it's being charged wirelessly, if you hack it together correctly. If you get the power going in through the USB port where it'd normally be charging it'd never know the difference.
Ed Zachary, the software doesn't know where the power comes from.. unless you have software dependent functions based on different types of charging.
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 02/10/2013, 03:44 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
Still lots and lots of OS tweaking to do (kinda like webOS 1.x), but it's got promise if they listen to the users feedback and update quickly.
This. Good to hear webOS users embracing the Hub. But as a for instance, either Engadget or The Verge (maybe both) have given big for managing lots of messages in the Hub. Too much tapping around to get to what you want.
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/10/2013, 11:03 PM   #38 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
Yes, but BB10 does that without a 3rd party app and it does it with instant profile changing in the same interface and stuff.
So? I tap the home button twice and boom, I'm in an enterprise-level secured, fully-encrypted work environment. Just because BB!0 has it natively doesn't discount the fact that iOS and Android have a very worthy version of it of their own and had it at the same time that BB10 finally released theirs.

BB10 is nice, but in my opinion not compelling enough to switch to from another platform. I know that's not a popular opinion amongst a large number of remaining webOS fans due to some of the similarities between the platforms, but this is something BB should have had two years ago--not 2013.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/11/2013, 04:39 AM   #39 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I still don't see the similarities except for the BB Hub. Like I said in another thread: BB10 is more like a clone of MeeGo Harmattan and Jolla Sailfish OS.
Old 03/11/2013, 09:45 PM   #40 (permalink)

Dang, I said please disregard this thread and theres 37 replies and talk about BB10, BYOD, and finally inductive charging. Probably other stuff but I didn't see it
boovish is online now   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0