webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Other OS's and Devices > If you should choose:
If you should choose:
View Poll Results: if you should choose:
iOS 4 12.90%
Android 11 35.48%
Windows Phone 7 22.58%
BlackBerry 10 9 29.03%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By creepingmee
  • 2 Post By RumoredNow
  • 1 Post By purplepansy

Old 01/15/2013, 03:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Suppose the webOS story comes definetely to an end (not that i'm wishing it..) which platform from the existing ones would you choose to develop for:

iOS
Android
Windows Phone
BlackBerry 10

?

And why?
sgamao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2013, 04:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

To develop for? All of them because it spreads the cost and maximises possible return

To use? They're much of a muchness imo but I've gone for WP8 solely based on hardware (and a deep loathing for iPrunes)
Nokia Lumia 920 (daily driver ) - HP TouchPad 32Gb (in daily use) - TouchPad 16Gb (out on loan to a friend) - Pre 3 (AT&T - unlocked) - Pre3 (EU - dev mule) - Veer Panda (AT&T - unlocked, dunno what I'm gonna do with it) - Pre (much abused n stored for sentimental reasons)
webOSnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2013, 04:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

PhoneGap allows one to develop for all of them + webOS... so theoretically i'd say " e) all of the above".... but since i don't build for those platforms and would much rather spend my free time working on openwebOS itself, my actual answer (webOS) is more representative of the homebrew developers here than of the average mobile dev who actually makes money publishing apps....

That said, the less established platforms allow one to stake one's ground, and have fewer competitors. The Apple and Android stores have swelled to a size where each app is comparable to no more than a grain of sand... Unless an app is featured in the catalog (or on some website ) or is put out by a major company, you might get only 10 downloads in six months, which, you know, isn't worth the effort...
Remy X is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: purplepansy
Old 01/15/2013, 05:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

I would choose Windows Phone, because I am a Windows user, even though I donít have any expirience with this OS. This would foster the software ecosystem I am using and working with. Also IF the webOS story would come to an end, I would probably choose Windows phone over other mobile OSes, but surely not before I have tested and compared, as I am unfamiliar with all of them.
in isagar2004ís post: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...rrow-keys.html
gerzhwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2013, 06:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

Already on Jellybean here.

If I would develop, I would do it with jQuery and Phonegap (or mybe Enyo) and compile it for all those platforms.
Old 01/15/2013, 09:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

Ok, I'm not a developer and if I were I don't see why I would not do multiples, but, if I had to choose one at the moment it would be Android.

iOS seems too restrictive, WindowsPhone too small a market and BB10 practically non-existent at the moment.

That will change rapidly though.

As a user I would also opt for Android for similar reasons. Maybe BB10 if it takes off in a big way but not at the moment. I can't stand the look of metro but I can see I may be forced down that road on laptops/desktops in the future at which point it may become more attractive.
andyhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2013, 09:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

None of the mentioned ones to me are a step up from webOS at the moment so I will continue to use my pre3.

I am hoping something better comes along like ubuntu phone or firefoxOS etc that's better than iOS or android...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
creepingmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by purplepansy likes this.
Old 01/15/2013, 10:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have high hopes for BB10 but I'm waiting to see how consumers embrace it.
Old 01/15/2013, 10:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

Android
Fairly easy-to-use, easy to test on my devices.
dmklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2013, 11:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

I started with webOS development, but since everything went down hill, i started making stuff for android (mainly because my new phone was android (android is a pain to get webapps running great on)). Since im using cordova and enyo2, i will be putting apps out on every platform. Just finished porting my android app to BB10, and next will be iOS and then Windows 8.
Two Outta Three! - A coin flip game
Chore Tracker Pro - A chore organizing app
Peek-A-Dash - A tumblr dashboard client that runs in a multitasking system popup

Donate link to support my work
thricetwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2013, 01:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgamao View Post
Suppose the webOS story comes definetely to an end (not that i'm wishing it..) which platform from the existing ones would you choose to develop for:

iOS
Android
Windows Phone
BlackBerry 10

?

And why?
You left out the emerging Operating Systems that will release soon...

Tizen
Sailfish
FireFox
FaceBook
Ubuntu

Or some retro ones that still have communities...

Symbian
MeeGo
Bada

This is a huge part of the problem and why Operating Systems are failing to gain traction. Consumers with huge blind spots that can't see past the big players throwing money around.

So, uh yeah, most developers go where the cash is greenest and that means iOS or Android...

Last edited by RumoredNow; 01/15/2013 at 02:29 PM.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by creepingmee and Remy X like this.
Old 01/15/2013, 02:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
You left out the emerging Operating Systems that will release soon...

Tizen
Sailfish
FireFox
FaceBook
Ubuntu

Or some retro ones that still have communities...

Symbian
MeeGo
Bada

This is a huge part of the problem and why Operating Systems are failing to gain traction. Consumers with huge blind spots that can't see past the big players throwing money around.

So, uh yeah, most developers go where the cash is greenest and that means iOS or Android...
I was gonna say Ubuntu Phone :P You do have a good point, you walk into an AT&T store (in my tiny tiny town) and all you see is iPhone in your face at the door, and Android everywhere else... Blackberries get shoved into the corner and Windows Phones are special order.
webos_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2013, 03:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
Ok, I'm not a developer and if I were I don't see why I would not do multiples, but, if I had to choose one at the moment it would be Android.

iOS seems too restrictive, WindowsPhone too small a market and BB10 practically non-existent at the moment.

That will change rapidly though.

As a user I would also opt for Android for similar reasons. Maybe BB10 if it takes off in a big way but not at the moment. I can't stand the look of metro but I can see I may be forced down that road on laptops/desktops in the future at which point it may become more attractive.
Why would iOS be to restrictive. I'm just going off of what i've heard, but most routers need to be tweaked for android use. It also seems very unrefined on my old RAZR (Correct me if I'm wrong). I'm gonna stick with webOS phones from HP and Palm.
boovish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2013, 07:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boovish View Post
Why would iOS be to restrictive. I'm just going off of what i've heard, but most routers need to be tweaked for android use. It also seems very unrefined on my old RAZR (Correct me if I'm wrong). I'm gonna stick with webOS phones from HP and Palm.
I believe andyhurley is referring to the terms of entry to get Apps posted on the Apple Store catalog. They have very specific requirements from what I've heard and those conditions straightjacket a lot of the creativity that might otherwise be brought to bear on customizing/personalizing the OS and the User Experience... Basically it becomes necessary to have your App behave lockstep with what Apple deems the User Interface should be in terms of behavior and execution.

Of course there is Cydia. I don't know anything about it though. Is anyone making $$$ off Cydia?
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/16/2013, 12:52 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
None of the mentioned ones to me are a step up from webOS at the moment so I will continue to use my pre3.

I am hoping something better comes along like ubuntu phone or firefoxOS etc that's better than iOS or android...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
Yep me too. I'm still using my Sprint Pre, only because I'm on a Sprint Family plan. Otherwise, I'd be on At&T and using a Pre 3. I've explored my family's Android phones, and my brother's iPhone, and find myself swiping, then cursing when I realize the other OS aren't as intuitive. HP really blew it with their handling of Palm.

Last edited by purplepansy; 01/16/2013 at 12:55 AM. Reason: emoticon didn't work
purplepansy is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 01/16/2013, 07:03 AM   #16 (permalink)

Android because of the ability to install apps from anywhere.
hmns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/16/2013, 07:37 AM   #17 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
I believe andyhurley is referring to the terms of entry to get Apps posted on the Apple Store catalog. They have very specific requirements from what I've heard and those conditions straightjacket a lot of the creativity that might otherwise be brought to bear on customizing/personalizing the OS and the User Experience... Basically it becomes necessary to have your App behave lockstep with what Apple deems the User Interface should be in terms of behavior and execution.

Of course there is Cydia. I don't know anything about it though. Is anyone making $$$ off Cydia?
Oh. They do that so everything doesn't look like a super basic mobile app
boovish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/16/2013, 11:51 AM   #18 (permalink)

Already running on iOS with an Android backup. I took a brief Windows Phone 7 detour but got off that road. I'm on Sprint and the situation with webOS just became a little to much to deal with. I was a good boy and donated to webOS Internals before I left though.
Good OL MC is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0