webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Other OS's and Devices > Ubuntu Phone OS
Ubuntu Phone OS
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Grabber5.0

Old 01/07/2013, 03:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

So do you think it will be possible to run Ubuntu Phone on a Pre 2?
Thehack904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2013, 05:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

That depends if it meets the minimum requirements of Ubuntu Phone OS: Operator and OEM partners | Ubuntu for phones | Ubuntu
Looks like Ubuntu needs an A9 Cortex CPU and the Pre2 has an A8 Cortex, according to wikipedia: Palm Pre 2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm not sure, but I think it's not going to work.

[edit] I don't think Ubuntu supports the hardware keyboard.

Last edited by Jozz; 01/07/2013 at 05:21 PM. Reason: added more info.
Jozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2013, 05:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'd rather run webOS on Ubuntu OS hardware. :-P
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9, exeicker and geekpeter like this.
Thanked By: xandros9
Old 01/07/2013, 05:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
I totally agree. I think this is the best possible opportunity to get Open webOS on some new hardware, in the quickest manner. I'd love to see it on some of the current projects but I have a feeling that mounting the ROM for Open webOS is going to be easiest on these phones... Don't get me wrong i know nothing about coding but it just seems like the be possiblity to get something new up and running and 100% functionalible
usafandersons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2013, 09:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
Which means the GNex as of now, conveniently.
My OneDrive referral link: OneDrive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2013, 06:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozz View Post
That depends if it meets the minimum requirements of Ubuntu Phone OS: Operator and OEM partners | Ubuntu for phones | Ubuntu
Looks like Ubuntu needs an A9 Cortex CPU and the Pre2 has an A8 Cortex, according to wikipedia: Palm Pre 2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm not sure, but I think it's not going to work.

[edit] I don't think Ubuntu supports the hardware keyboard.
HW keyboard is not the problem.

Also, it'll probably run fine with an A8 but it will run slow.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Jozz
Old 01/08/2013, 02:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Wonder if the O/S can be tweaked/rebuilt for the A8 cpu. I would be more than willing to work on this. I love webos...but the more I use my Pre2 the more it seems dated. Good lord if I have to reboot, it takes forever.
Old 01/08/2013, 04:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehack904 View Post
Wonder if the O/S can be tweaked/rebuilt for the A8 cpu. I would be more than willing to work on this. I love webos...but the more I use my Pre2 the more it seems dated. Good lord if I have to reboot, it takes forever.
This is because webOS tries to boot every device component and service before finally showing the desktop. Not every OS does that. So sometimes you might be better off doing a Luna restart instead of full reboot.
Remy X is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 01/09/2013, 07:56 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
This is because webOS tries to boot every device component and service before finally showing the desktop. Not every OS does that. So sometimes you might be better off doing a Luna restart instead of full reboot.
Most of the time I do just a Luna restart. But there are the times I need to reboot the phone.
Old 01/09/2013, 08:15 AM   #10 (permalink)

<thread moved as this has nothing to do with webOS>

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2013, 09:46 AM   #11 (permalink)

Any plans to run ubuntu phone on the touchpad?
oholika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2013, 10:08 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oholika View Post
Any plans to run ubuntu phone on the touchpad?
i think we can already probably run the armel model thats already out there from within our ubuntuchroot if we tried, thing is do we need it over the likes of the cyanogenmod ports? the android side atm provides the biggest "app" bump we could get anyways until we ever get some form of native android app running ability within webOS. (not even going to entertain the idea of ACL now tho)

what could/can the firefox OS, ubuntu OS etc give you that you couldnt get from android on your touchpad? IF you were that desperate for an app that you had to boot out of webOS, we already know from our own webOS experience that people arent that interested in an "emerging" app catalogue, they want "everything now".

EDIT: actually news reports say february for the first arm based release for ubuntu phone os.
Old 01/12/2013, 10:09 AM   #13 (permalink)

^^^ Hopefully, because I despise Android and webOS is getting slightly unusable.
b3d0u1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2013, 01:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
i think we can already probably run the armel model thats already out there from within our ubuntuchroot if we tried, thing is do we need it over the likes of the cyanogenmod ports? the android side atm provides the biggest "app" bump we could get anyways until we ever get some form of native android app running ability within webOS. (not even going to entertain the idea of ACL now tho)

what could/can the firefox OS, ubuntu OS etc give you that you couldnt get from android on your touchpad? IF you were that desperate for an app that you had to boot out of webOS, we already know from our own webOS experience that people arent that interested in an "emerging" app catalogue, they want "everything now".

EDIT: actually news reports say february for the first arm based release for ubuntu phone os.
Plus, what you're forgetting: we don't know how it scales. Ubuntu Phone is made for screens around 4 inch, how would that scale on a big screen 9.7"?
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2013, 02:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
Plus, what you're forgetting: we don't know how it scales. Ubuntu Phone is made for screens around 4 inch, how would that scale on a big screen 9.7"?
true, but youd think with all the OS we have now that work on both tablet and phone that they would follow suit, hard to imagine their only interested in phones and not tablets as well.
Old 01/13/2013, 02:25 AM   #16 (permalink)

I think it's worth to wait for another six weeks to see what ubuntu delivers. It would be really cool to have a full featured and touch optimized ubuntu on the tablet. But I totally agree with Geekpeter, that there is no need for another Android distribution.
oholika is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0