webOS Nation Forums

webOS Nation Forums (/)
-   Other OS's and Devices (http://forums.webosnation.com/other-oss-devices/)
-   -   Ubuntu Phone OS (http://forums.webosnation.com/other-oss-devices/321046-ubuntu-phone-os.html)

Thehack904 01/07/2013 03:38 PM

Ubuntu Phone OS

So do you think it will be possible to run Ubuntu Phone on a Pre 2?

Jozz 01/07/2013 05:19 PM

That depends if it meets the minimum requirements of Ubuntu Phone OS: [url=http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone/operators-and-oems]Operator and OEM partners | Ubuntu for phones | Ubuntu[/url]
Looks like Ubuntu needs an A9 Cortex CPU and the Pre2 has an A8 Cortex, according to wikipedia: [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_Pre_2]Palm Pre 2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]
I'm not sure, but I think it's not going to work.

[edit] I don't think Ubuntu supports the hardware keyboard.

Grabber5.0 01/07/2013 05:28 PM

I'd rather run webOS on Ubuntu OS hardware. :-P

usafandersons 01/07/2013 05:37 PM

webOS on Ubuntu

[QUOTE=Grabber5.0;3372125]I'd rather run webOS on Ubuntu OS hardware. :-P[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. I think this is the best possible opportunity to get Open webOS on some new hardware, in the quickest manner. I'd love to see it on some of the current projects but I have a feeling that mounting the ROM for Open webOS is going to be easiest on these phones... Don't get me wrong i know nothing about coding but it just seems like the be possiblity to get something new up and running and 100% functionalible

xandros9 01/07/2013 09:53 PM

[QUOTE=Grabber5.0;3372125]I'd rather run webOS on Ubuntu OS hardware. :-P[/QUOTE]

Which means the GNex as of now, conveniently.

Vistaus 01/08/2013 06:27 AM

[QUOTE=Jozz;3372122]That depends if it meets the minimum requirements of Ubuntu Phone OS: [url=http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone/operators-and-oems]Operator and OEM partners | Ubuntu for phones | Ubuntu[/url]
Looks like Ubuntu needs an A9 Cortex CPU and the Pre2 has an A8 Cortex, according to wikipedia: [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_Pre_2]Palm Pre 2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]
I'm not sure, but I think it's not going to work.

[edit] I don't think Ubuntu supports the hardware keyboard.[/QUOTE]

HW keyboard is not the problem.

Also, it'll probably run fine with an A8 but it will run slow.

Thehack904 01/08/2013 02:56 PM

Wonder if the O/S can be tweaked/rebuilt for the A8 cpu. I would be more than willing to work on this. I love webos...but the more I use my Pre2 the more it seems dated. Good lord if I have to reboot, it takes forever.

Remy X 01/08/2013 04:23 PM

[QUOTE=Thehack904;3372303]Wonder if the O/S can be tweaked/rebuilt for the A8 cpu. I would be more than willing to work on this. I love webos...but the more I use my Pre2 the more it seems dated. [B]Good lord if I have to reboot, it takes forever[/B].[/QUOTE]

This is because webOS tries to boot every device component and service before finally showing the desktop. Not every OS does that. So sometimes you might be better off doing a Luna restart instead of full reboot.

Thehack904 01/09/2013 07:56 AM

[QUOTE=Remy X;3372321]This is because webOS tries to boot every device component and service before finally showing the desktop. Not every OS does that. So sometimes you might be better off doing a Luna restart instead of full reboot.[/QUOTE]

Most of the time I do just a Luna restart. But there are the times I need to reboot the phone.

HelloNNNewman 01/09/2013 08:15 AM

<thread moved as this has nothing to do with webOS>

oholika 01/12/2013 09:46 AM

Any plans to run ubuntu phone on the touchpad?

geekpeter 01/12/2013 10:08 AM

[QUOTE=oholika;3372963]Any plans to run ubuntu phone on the touchpad?[/QUOTE]

i think we can already probably run the armel model thats already out there from within our ubuntuchroot if we tried, thing is do we need it over the likes of the cyanogenmod ports? the android side atm provides the biggest "app" bump we could get anyways until we ever get some form of native android app running ability within webOS. ([i]not even going to entertain the idea of ACL now tho[/i])

what could/can the firefox OS, ubuntu OS etc give you that you couldnt get from android on your touchpad? IF you were that desperate for an app that you had to boot out of webOS, we already know from our own webOS experience that people arent that interested in an "emerging" app catalogue, they want "everything now".

EDIT: actually news reports say february for the first arm based release for ubuntu phone os.

b3d0u1n 01/12/2013 10:09 AM

^^^ Hopefully, because I despise Android and webOS is getting slightly unusable.

Vistaus 01/12/2013 01:49 PM

[QUOTE=geekpeter;3372965]i think we can already probably run the armel model thats already out there from within our ubuntuchroot if we tried, thing is do we need it over the likes of the cyanogenmod ports? the android side atm provides the biggest "app" bump we could get anyways until we ever get some form of native android app running ability within webOS. ([i]not even going to entertain the idea of ACL now tho[/i])

what could/can the firefox OS, ubuntu OS etc give you that you couldnt get from android on your touchpad? IF you were that desperate for an app that you had to boot out of webOS, we already know from our own webOS experience that people arent that interested in an "emerging" app catalogue, they want "everything now".

EDIT: actually news reports say february for the first arm based release for ubuntu phone os.[/QUOTE]

Plus, what you're forgetting: we don't know how it scales. Ubuntu Phone is made for screens around 4 inch, how would that scale on a big screen 9.7"?

geekpeter 01/12/2013 02:45 PM

[QUOTE=Vistaus;3372993]Plus, what you're forgetting: we don't know how it scales. Ubuntu Phone is made for screens around 4 inch, how would that scale on a big screen 9.7"?[/QUOTE]

true, but youd think with all the OS we have now that work on both tablet and phone that they would follow suit, hard to imagine their only interested in phones and not tablets as well.

oholika 01/13/2013 02:25 AM

I think it's worth to wait for another six weeks to see what ubuntu delivers. It would be really cool to have a full featured and touch optimized ubuntu on the tablet. But I totally agree with Geekpeter, that there is no need for another Android distribution.