webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Other OS's and Devices > Sad But Moving On to Something Else
Sad But Moving On to Something Else
Like Tree10Likes

Old 12/17/2012, 10:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

I have a Pre2 with VZW and am very pleased with it. Unfortunately, like many of us here on this forum, I was very disappointed when HP pull the plug on webos. What a terrible mistake! How can so many supposedly smart people screw up so badly. One mistake after another.

Any case my question is this. Without any new Webos phone coming from HP or anyone, have some of you thought about what you might switch to? I love the way that WebOs handles my email. I have two Exchange account2, 2 gmail account, 1 yahoo, and 1 hotmail and I can see all this in one place. I asked someone with a Droid if it can do this and they assured me that it can, but didn't do it.

Any case, I've been looking at the new Windows phone because at this point I don't think we're going to see a miracle in the near future and I'm concern about my Pre2. It's been a good and trusty friend, but it's showing its age and as with man-made things it will eventually stop working.

This may not be the best place to post this, but I'm thinking aloud and a bit sad for what could have been.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday to all. Let's hope that Next Year will be better.
NewPreKnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2012, 11:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm in a similar boat. I have a Pre2 with Verizon, and I've been having trouble with it lately...missed calls, missed texts, missing calendar events, sluggish behavior, locking up device, and of course I've always had the infamous Verizon GPS Palm issues.

Anyway, I can't continue having issues since my company provides my phone. They need reliability and my current phone isn't providing that. They won't let me buy a Pre3, too risky in their minds. Given the state of things, I have to agree. So, I am left with what else is out there. I do not care for the limited interface options for iOS, so I am looking at Android.

I have considered the Samsung Galaxy SIII (S3) and the Samsung Galaxy Stratosphere II. The Strat II has a horizontal slider physical keyboard, and isn't too big. I think it comes with Android 4.1 Jellybean, which might make it a Global Ready phone. I think there might be a free offer at Best Buy on this phone at the moment.

The S3 shipped with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, but I read some articles that said 4.1 Jellybean was rolling out starting on 12/14/2012 which should also make this phone Global Ready. There was a sale yesterday at Bestbuy for $49...today it is $149, but still $50 off the Verizon price.

Anyway, that is what I have been thinking...good luck, I don't have any info on the new Windows OS mobile.

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Rockbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2012, 12:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
I'm in a similar boat. I have a Pre2 with Verizon, and I've been having trouble with it lately...missed calls, missed texts, missing calendar events, sluggish behavior, locking up device, and of course I've always had the infamous Verizon GPS Palm issues.

Anyway, I can't continue having issues since my company provides my phone. They need reliability and my current phone isn't providing that. They won't let me buy a Pre3, too risky in their minds. Given the state of things, I have to agree. So, I am left with what else is out there. I do not care for the limited interface options for iOS, so I am looking at Android.

I have considered the Samsung Galaxy SIII (S3) and the Samsung Galaxy Stratosphere II. The Strat II has a horizontal slider physical keyboard, and isn't too big. I think it comes with Android 4.1 Jellybean, which might make it a Global Ready phone. I think there might be a free offer at Best Buy on this phone at the moment.

The S3 shipped with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, but I read some articles that said 4.1 Jellybean was rolling out starting on 12/14/2012 which should also make this phone Global Ready. There was a sale yesterday at Bestbuy for $49...today it is $149, but still $50 off the Verizon price.

Anyway, that is what I have been thinking...good luck, I don't have any info on the new Windows OS mobile.
I never expected to move from WebOS so I never really bother to learn about the other OSs out there. Having said that, I would be tempted to go with the Droid, but for some maybe unsupported reasons, I don't want to give Google any more power :-)

So I'm looking at the Windows HTC 8X or whatever.

Boy don't know about you, but I was really dreaming about the PRE 3 and went to any and all Web demos on the new phones and Tablet. I was so excited. Oh well, maybe I will have to go over to the darkside :-(
Old 12/17/2012, 12:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

interesting that 1 of you thinks of the windows solution and the other android, wonder what attracted you both to different corners of the room.
Old 12/17/2012, 12:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

And here I am looking at another dead end device for my next purchase...

Nokia E7-00 running Symbian.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2012, 12:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
And here I am looking at another dead end device for my next purchase...

Nokia E7-00 running Symbian.
my cousin has the n900 and loves the phone, just now dispises symbian, or more the fact that symbian isnt doing for him what he wants, on a phone he loves and he cant exchange/hack/bolt in place an alternative.

hes still got it and still uses it tho.
Old 12/17/2012, 12:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
my cousin has the n900 and loves the phone, just now dispises symbian, or more the fact that symbian isnt doing for him what he wants, on a phone he loves and he cant exchange/hack/bolt in place an alternative.
I'm sure it would end up being a toy for me to play with and would not replace my beloved Panda as a daily.

I've tinkered with 'droid and tried an iPhone 3GS, but they don't do anything much for me. Of the "also rans" I think Symbian probably has the best chance of holding my attention for awhile. Or maybe a MeeGo if Sailfish makes any headway.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2012, 12:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
interesting that 1 of you thinks of the windows solution and the other android, wonder what attracted you both to different corners of the room.
As I think I mentioned, I haven't looked at the newer Windows OS for smartphones, so one reason I wasn't pulled towards that corner of the room was because I don't know anything...about Windows mobile OS...and about many other things.

In my office, there are mostly iPhone folks and Android folks. Maybe there are some Blackberry (I know we HAD some in the past). I'm not pulled towards the iOS corner, mainly because it is so rigid...it's their way or the highway...and the highway is no longer easy to get to if you are using Apple Maps.

Android seems to have more customizability with how you set up your phone. Also, I like that Duarte's influence on the UI of the OS at least may give me some vestige of webOS experience. And how about that Google Navigation? It's pretty good.

Having said all that, I do have a question...how many corners are in this room?

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Old 12/17/2012, 12:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

in this thread so far weve covered ios, android, blackberry, symbian and ofc webOS. Thats 5 already i suppose theres as many corners as needed.

all those corners makes a pretty interesting room, so its down to how many people crowd/lurk in those corners
Old 12/17/2012, 01:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

As I listen to you all I think my heart tells me to go with the Windows phone, but my head tells me that I may be safer with the Droid or Android Why?

What if Microsoft is run by just a bunch of suits (which is probably what happened at HP), then when things don't proceed as well as they hope, they will abandon you. People at HP didn't have the vision, the heart and the commitment.

But if the company has heart and belief, which Google might have more of (I'm just guessing), then for good or bad, Google makes a better choice since they will stick it out. Here's my guess, but fwiw, Microsoft is an older company (not as old as Kikkoman since 1661) and maybe the people don't love to fight like they use to and they are a bit fat and happy. I don't know if they are as driven and as passionate as I would like them to be. I wonder how many MS employees have iPhone?

Both companies have the money so it may boil down to this:

Who has the engineer? Who has the fighters? Who has the most heart? Who's going to watch my back? Who really cares?

Microsoft or Google?
Old 12/17/2012, 01:52 PM   #11 (permalink)

I'm surprised no one mentioned the new BlackBerry 10 phones coming out in the new year. Of all phone OS's, I think this one may be the closest to what we have on WebOS. As far as I can tell, the BB10 devices employ gestures, not unlike what we had on the Pre. And, since BB10 is based on the real-time QNX OS (which is now owned by RIM), it's going to be a rock solid platform. I had read that something like 80% of car in-dash systems run on QNX, so it's quite widespread. Can you imagine the integration possibilities when your QNX phone connects with your QNX in-dash system? Go Canada!!!

On a side-note, I just now activated my eBay unlocked AT&T Pre 3 on the Bell Canada network. I am ticked pink by how amazing this phone is. It does what I want with great finesse and it's intuitive. At the Bell store, the rep who transferred my info from my Pre was going on about Android, but when I showed off the capabilities of the Pre 3 to him (and made sure to speak loud enough that the iPhone wannabes nearby could hear), I could tell his mind was blown. This is a guy who is trained to deal with all the phones and platforms and yet he quickly indicated my phone was intuitively far superior to anything else out there. So, as I don't need a whole whack of fart apps, I should be quite happy to keep this new baby for another year or so to give the BB10 platform time to mature. And I loved the fact that when I typed in my old profile email address, the system did all the work for me in transferring my email accounts, contacts, and apps over. This is genius!

Last edited by Lightscapes; 12/18/2012 at 11:27 AM.
Lightscapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by k4ever and Remy X like this.
Old 12/17/2012, 03:17 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightscapes View Post
I'm surprised no one mentioned the new BlackBerry 10 phones coming out in the new year. Of all phone OS's, I think this one may be the closest to what we have on WebOS. As far as I can tell, the BB10 devices employ gestures, not unlike what we had on the Pre. And, since BB10 is based on the real time QNX OS (which is owned by RIM), it's going to be a rock solid platform. I had read that something like 80% of car in-dash systems run on QNX, so it's quite widespread. Can you imagine the integration possibilities when your QNX phone connects with your QNX in-dash system? Go Canada!!!

On a side-note, I just now activated my eBay unlocked AT&T Pre 3 on the Bell Canada network. I am ticked pink by how amazing this phone is. It does what I want with great finesse and it's intuitive. At the Bell store, the rep who transferred my info from my Pre was going on about Android, but when I showed off the capabilities of the Pre 3 to him (and made sure to speak loud enough that the iPhone wannabes nearby could hear), I could tell his mind was blown. This is a guy who is trained to deal with all the phones and platforms and yet he quickly indicated my phone was intuitively far superior to anything else out there. So, as I don't need a whole whack of fart apps, I should be quite happy to keep this new baby for another year or so to give the BB10 platform time to mature. And I loved the fact that when I typed in my old profile email address, the system did all the work for me in transferring my email accounts, contacts, and apps over. This is genius!
Hmmm, I've not considered the Blackberry 10. I will have to investigate. Thanks for the tip.
Old 12/17/2012, 03:31 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
in this thread so far weve covered ios, android, blackberry, symbian and ofc webOS. Thats 5 already i suppose theres as many corners as needed.

all those corners makes a pretty interesting room, so its down to how many people crowd/lurk in those corners
I'm sorry to do this...go off topic...but I've never been able to post about this before...I've been to a house that has an octagon room...it was designed around an octagon table.

So, if you ever visit the McAnn-Sleeper House in Gloucester, MA, you can discuss ALL the mobile OS's you want in the Octagon Room! This is a pretty cool house to visit...take the tour!

Liked by geekpeter likes this.
Old 12/17/2012, 03:53 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewPreKnox View Post
What if Microsoft is run by just a bunch of suits (which is probably what happened at HP), then when things don't proceed as well as they hope, they will abandon you. People at HP didn't have the vision, the heart and the commitment.
When considering a phone from Microsoft, bear in mind how quick they abandoned FSX.
MS have demonstrated just how happy they are to leave people high and dry.
And at virtually no notice. I wouldn't touch a phone of theirs with a bargepole.
NickM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2012, 03:57 PM   #15 (permalink)

On the subject of moving on, I have stuck with my Pre 2 since June, but the final straw today is that it won't find all of the music in the music library. I use my music player a lot.

So, it'll be going to Cash Converters tomorrow morning, and hopefully there'll be something there which can a) make/receive calls b) send/receive texts c) play mp3 and mp4s.

Can't really say I'm going to shed a tear for the Pre 2.
NickM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2012, 04:28 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM99 View Post
When considering a phone from Microsoft, bear in mind how quick they abandoned FSX.
MS have demonstrated just how happy they are to leave people high and dry.
And at virtually no notice. I wouldn't touch a phone of theirs with a bargepole.
Oh boy, you're reminding me of "BOB". This is what I mean about "suits". I know that profit is important, but when there's no vision and heart then it's just a paper loss to them when they move onto something else (Like HP).

Crud!

I don't want to go to google. Maybe BB10 could be a good alternative. But who know, I may have limited options.
Old 12/17/2012, 05:41 PM   #17 (permalink)

Timely thread. I have mentioned several times in the past I am in the same boat. My Pre2 has been good to me. But with no updates to the OS and the phone showing age, I too will be moving on soon (I am kind of hoping for a Gram announcement soon will change my mind). I am bull headed at times and because of that dont make the best decisions. I do NOT like Android or the IPhone so I was considering a htc Win 8 phone.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
etphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2012, 05:41 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:

hes still got it and still uses it tho.

Why does he have Symbian on a phone that runs Maemo out of the box? I have my N900 running Maemo, and it's very enjoyable, but of course i gravitate towards webOS.

Maemo can accept linux packages for Debian (which it is based on), but i've not really bothered to play with any of that, since i have other things on my mind and am more of a web developer, even in my free time.

So either his phone isn't an N900, or a strange N900, or the OS is not Symbian, and he's looking in the wrong place for whatever solution he needs... either way i wish him luck.
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: geekpeter
Old 12/17/2012, 05:44 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM99 View Post
On the subject of moving on, I have stuck with my Pre 2 since June, but the final straw today is that it won't find all of the music in the music library. I use my music player a lot.

So, it'll be going to Cash Converters tomorrow morning, and hopefully there'll be something there which can a) make/receive calls b) send/receive texts c) play mp3 and mp4s.

Can't really say I'm going to shed a tear for the Pre 2.
Have you tried the Media Indexer Refresh app first? This will find all your music.
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2012, 06:22 PM   #20 (permalink)

About two weeks ago I made the move towards the galaxy S3.

I don't love the factor form... but I can live with it.

What I really miss above all is switching between apps... it's absolutely unnatural and rude to switch between apps. I don't understand why the WebOS behaviour hasn't been implemented yet.
andresmmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0