webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Other OS's and Devices > sailfish OS
sailfish OS
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow

Old 12/13/2012, 01:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Has anyone here heard about sailfish OS it looks amazing it has true multitasking in a demo of sailfish they where showing how you could still see what was going on in the app they where even playing and pausing songs in the music player while they where of of the app. But that's not the best part the best part is their using the open mobile acl as there main way to get apps meaning it will ship with 700,000+ apps from the get go!!!!

It seems like the perfect OS to move to from webos!
minipot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2012, 01:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

Sailfish? Jolla... yeah.. that's based on Nokia's old Maemo OS, that runs on my N900.

If you look up demo videos of the N900 from 4 years ago, that has card-like windows and true multitasking. Another under-appreciated OS...
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2012, 01:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

You can still see what goes on in an app when it's carded on webOS. It'll just respond slower because it's not foreground. It's possible to make a sort of "presentation interface" to trigger when the app is carded. Anything important is served as a dashboard, because otherwise pushing left and right on Card View is for navigating between cards, not apps. ACL is vaporware right now, and that's not our fault.

I'm not seeing what's new?
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2012, 02:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
[...] I'm not seeing what's new?
What's new is that an Android user is discovering that there's something better than Android. People are used to non-user-friendly UI and then get very excited when they discover something normal...
Old 12/13/2012, 10:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

What's new is that this isn't based off maemo its based of meego which Nokia gave up. Jolla isn't the OS it's the group behind it who all left Nokia to continue work on an OS they loved and belived in that shows some dedication also sailfish OS is having hardware built for it. something not happening in the webos world.

Oh and I'm not an android user discovering new things I used webos long before I ever even touched android though I do use android now and may I add the android community is a lot more welcoming than that of webos you only have to ask on xda to have some kindly veteran put matters to rest.
Old 12/13/2012, 10:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

@minipot - sorry if you don't feel welcomed You definitely are!! It will take some time for our members to realize that with our new Passport log-in service, avatars are shared across all of our sites. So just because your pic shows a robot, you'll have to excuse some if they have a knee-jerk reaction.

As for your topic... the Meego OS has a following just as dedicated and enthusiastic as webOS. Both have similar features and unfortunately, similar histories. I don't think (personal opinion) of it as much more than 1 step ahead of webOS in development because the Jolla group just recently took over it's development. Yes, it's another option for webOS users that is more similar than Android. BUT.. as stated above... ACL is complete vaporware. At this point that company is all talk and promises and hasn't delivered anything but smoke for a couple of years now. Don't get too excited about ACL.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: minipot
Old 12/13/2012, 11:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

@HelloNNNewman thank you oh and I looked it up and from the info I found they're not using acl they're using their own comparability layer
Thanked By: HelloNNNewman
Old 12/13/2012, 11:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

BTW... if you look at the new BB10 UI over on our Crackberry.com site, you will see that it is very similar to the Meego UI in terms of the window panes for open apps (which BB calls "active frames"). I hope Jolla does well with this and can push it Internationally in the near future.

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 12/13/2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12/13/2012, 05:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by minipot View Post
[snip]
What's new is that this isn't based off maemo its based of meego which Nokia gave up. Jolla isn't the OS it's the group behind it who all left Nokia to continue work on an OS they loved and belived in that shows some dedication also sailfish OS is having hardware built for it. something not happening in the webos world.
[/snip]
I already know. Meego is a merge of Maemo with Intel's offering... as a device owner, i keep track of that stuff. Maemo already had multitasking and card-like windows. That was my point.

Jolla is the group and the name behind the project, so i don't see how i was wrong to use that. Using both names lends more specifics to the discussion.
Old 12/14/2012, 08:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by minipot View Post
... the best part is their using the open mobile acl as there main way to get apps meaning it will ship with 700,000+ apps from the get go!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
BUT.. as stated above... ACL is complete vaporware. At this point that company is all talk and promises and hasn't delivered anything but smoke for a couple of years now. Don't get too excited about ACL.
It is as HelloNNNewman has stated above BUT Sailfisch will NOT use ACL, Sailfish is going to use Myriad's Alien-Dalvik:
https://twitter.com/JollaMobile/stat...24818908008449

Also in one of the official videos Myriad's logo is shown for a short time:
Sailfish OS demoed on N950 by Jolla - YouTube
Old 11/18/2013, 10:48 AM   #11 (permalink)

Sailfish looks very interesting in that it will have a unified messaging app more like webOS than the N9's implementation and their design philosophy has been explained in greater detail. The Jolla phone will be available for the lucky pre-order candidates on the 27th of November. [Exclusive Interview + Forum Opening] Sailfish OS Design Talk with Jaakko Roppola | Jolla Users Blog
kingstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/18/2013, 10:54 AM   #12 (permalink)

From what some developers have said (even some Nokia devs) about Jolla's upcoming phone - it's amazing. I'm definitely interested in checking one out when they hit.

Old 12/09/2013, 10:46 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
From what some developers have said (even some Nokia devs) about Jolla's upcoming phone - it's amazing. I'm definitely interested in checking one out when they hit.
The OS is now updated and ready for installation when the pre-orders get their phone in the mail or buy them at the shop. I hope I can import one sometime in January.
kingstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2013, 12:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingstu View Post
The OS is now updated and ready for installation when the pre-orders get their phone in the mail or buy them at the shop. I hope I can import one sometime in January.
At 399Euros ($547.39) the phone is a bit pricey off contract. And still hard to come by outside of Europe ATM.

They (Jolla) have said Sailfish will be portable in the near future... I'm hoping it makes it onto the Nexus 4 real soon. I can do without "The Other Half" as I test the OS and decide if I want to invest in hardware.
Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Open webOS Alpha 2
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2013, 12:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

It looks really nice...hmmm. And in other news...holy crap! Remy X isn't dead. Where ya been?

Apps....it's always about apps... I just don't use that much...
Old 12/09/2013, 12:44 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
It looks really nice...hmmm. And in other news...holy crap! Remy X isn't dead. Where ya been?

Apps....it's always about apps... I just don't use that much...
You realize that post from Remy X was a year ago right?

And I agree.. I hardly use any apps on a daily basis. The ones I use occasionally aren't always available on webOS, but again, it's not a daily need. I almost feel the app need is pushed more by those reporting on things than actual users.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums

Developer of: SMS Auto Forward/Reply, GPS Viewer,
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix
Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2013, 12:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Whoops. I saw December and got excited. Bummer.
Old 12/09/2013, 04:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
You realize that post from Remy X was a year ago right?

And I agree.. I hardly use any apps on a daily basis. The ones I use occasionally aren't always available on webOS, but again, it's not a daily need. I almost feel the app need is pushed more by those reporting on things than actual users.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
Sailfish is using Alien Dalvik to tap into the Android ecosystem... Unlike ACL it is here now, works, is proven in the field with actual end users, and capable of running 4.X compatible Apps.

That would be nice to have - instant ecosystem. Ubuntu Touch is now doing a 180* shift and is considering including some way of running Android Apps. Betcha "dollars to donuts" that they DON'T pick OMWW's ACL for that task.
Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Open webOS Alpha 2
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Grabber5.0 likes this.
Old 12/09/2013, 08:19 PM   #19 (permalink)

interesting to see this thread 'wake up' with one year elapsed to provide a metric of their progress.

phone's still not out, but their website is pretty. good luck to 'em. it would need a webOS theme with gestures in the appropriate direction (close app = swipe UP, not down) before i bought one, but i'll look at it if it becomes available here.

sure wish a group of ex-palm/hp employees could have done something similar with webOS
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2013, 06:49 AM   #20 (permalink)

For those who have a Nokia N9 and would like to try Sailfish OS:
Get Sailfish On Your N9: Full Unabridged Guide | Latest Jolla Sailfish News

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0