webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Other OS's and Devices > Touchstone wireless charging on the samsung galaxy s3
Touchstone wireless charging on the samsung galaxy s3
Like Tree3Likes

Old 10/09/2012, 04:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

I miss webos as much as all of you but you dont have to get rid of your touchstones! Check out this seller... i bought one myself

Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 Wireless Charge Back Cover - Blue | eBay
Old 10/12/2012, 02:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
I miss webos as much as all of you but you dont have to get rid of your touchstones! Check out this seller... i bought one myself

Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 Wireless Charge Back Cover - Blue | eBay
Please tell us how this works for you. If I have to switch, the Galaxy S III is the phone I am looking at...or perhaps the GS III Mini.

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Rockbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/17/2012, 10:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

Looking at the ebay listing, looks like 73 have been sold. That's kind of interesting, that there are 73 former Palm phone owners who have touchstones that have found this item and purchased it as well. There are about 16 left. I hope they can be found again if I have to leave webOS and go with the Samsung Galaxy S III.

Any updates on getting this item and how does it work on your touchstone? Is the S III too long/big such that the bottom edge hits the table before getting a secure fit? If so, perhaps I can design a Touchstone Elevation Device...I'll call it TED...and make millions!

I just noticed something...in the photos on the ebay sale site, once the S III is on the touchstone, there is a message that says "Wireless Charging..." so does this mean that versions of Android 4.x and later are 'set up' for wireless charging capability?

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Last edited by Rockbeast; 10/17/2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10/17/2012, 01:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
Looking at the ebay listing, looks like 73 have been sold. That's kind of interesting, that there are 73 former Palm phone owners who have touchstones that have found this item and purchased it as well. There are about 16 left. I hope they can be found again if I have to leave webOS and go with the Samsung Galaxy S III.

Any updates on getting this item and how does it work on your touchstone? Is the S III too long/big such that the bottom edge hits the table before getting a secure fit? If so, perhaps I can design a Touchstone Elevation Device...I'll call it TED...and make millions!

I just noticed something...in the photos on the ebay sale site, once the S III is on the touchstone, there is a message that says "Wireless Charging..." so does this mean that versions of Android 4.x and later are 'set up' for wireless charging capability?
Those 73 might not all be former webOS-heads. Touchstones are resold on eBay and quite cheap...

I imagine with all the "PowerMat" after market products out there that Android does indeed have wireless charging potential at ICS and above...
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/17/2012, 03:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have my SIII wired to sit on the TouchStone and it works great! I can't speak for the back sold on eBay because I wired the phone myself, but if positioned correctly, it does not require the TouchStone to be raised (Sorry, no TED needed ). While mine may not look as "pretty" as the one on eBay, I literally paid nothing for it. All you have to do is solder 2 wires to the coil from the Palm backing and make them stick inside the SIII. I would not solder to the phone in case of warranty problems. I just used electrical tape to make sure the wires do not come out.

For more info refer to this thread:

http://forums.webosnation.com/other-...after-mod.html

and

Touchstone Mod for the S3 - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

and

[GUIDE] Galaxy Nexus MOD/Palm Touchstone-No soldering on phone!! - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
kryptonite_2448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/18/2012, 10:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

is this the official cover, or a very well made mod? I think modded covers have slight bulges.

I'm going to be jumping ship unfortunately this winter, and the S3 is my choice because I can't live without my touchstones anymore.
JTH182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/23/2012, 05:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

I don't know how the European variant back cover is, but it looks different than the US variant. My US SIII doesn't have an embossed Samsung logo, plus has Galaxy SIII at the bottom cover. Also, the seller notes: "This back cover cannot close perfectly with wireless charging module, it will have around 1mm gap between the phone."

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
kryptonite_2448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2012, 10:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonite_2448 View Post
I have my SIII wired to sit on the TouchStone and it works great! I can't speak for the back sold on eBay because I wired the phone myself, but if positioned correctly, it does not require the TouchStone to be raised (Sorry, no TED needed )...
Hey, you are killing my potential market with talk like that! Everybody needs a TED! THAT was going to be my tagline.

I'm probably getting a S3 in the next few days, and I plan to purchase one of these backs (still have some on ebay) so I can continue to use my 3 touchstones...TED or no TED.

Old 12/20/2012, 11:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

Well I did it, I now am an Android 4.1.1 user with a Samsung Galaxy S3. So I will be ordering the 'touchstone' back and keep some hope alive as I wirelessly charge the S3 on a Palm Touchstone.

Old 12/20/2012, 02:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Well, wether I'll miss webOS (cause I'm still using it with Pre3 and TouchPad) nor I missing the Touchstone because I've done the mod of my S3 and so I've got the best of both :-)
Gwidion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/20/2012, 08:41 PM   #11 (permalink)

The preassembled back is done fairly well, although you do have to be careful when removing it, and putting it back on. I have heard reports from a certain individual that one of their contacts broke off. Mine works well, but due to the fact I use an Otterbox Defender case, I don't use it very often. The case is too thick for it to make contact, and it's a PITA to take off.

FWIW, it's the exact same back cover I got with my original, with SAMSUNG in the the exact same location. Must be a regional thing.

It does take awhile to get used to. It took me almost two weeks to get the hang of it. I didn't root mine until a few weeks ago, and that was with the stock Samsung TouchWiz ROM, but have since changed ROMs to Paranoid Android.

It seems a little daunting at first. I felt like I was being spun around in circles trying to find the right way to do it, (so many different threads, and forums etc) but it is really easy. I think accessing Alpha feeds in Preware was probably (subjectively) harder to accomplish than rooting this phone....although the instructions were laid out in one location.
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rockbeast likes this.
Thanked By: Rockbeast
Old 12/20/2012, 08:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

I always found Android rooting to be slightly daunting, because no one ever tells you if a certain phase will brick the device if it failed.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2012, 12:23 AM   #13 (permalink)

If you don't mind a little Chinese, you can see here some step-by-step photos:

無線是男人的浪漫!無線充電正夯 (2) Samsung S3 無線充電實作 - PALMisLIFE 討論區 - Powered by Discuz!
chenkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2012, 02:54 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
I always found Android rooting to be slightly daunting, because no one ever tells you if a certain phase will brick the device if it failed.
There was only one phase. Hook the phone up with a USB, and click Start (on Odin)...wait 5 minutes and you're done.
Old 12/21/2012, 03:35 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
There was only one phase. Hook the phone up with a USB, and click Start (on Odin)...wait 5 minutes and you're done.
It doesn't help though when you're in Odin mode it screams something about do not turn the phone off in any circumstance. There's no telling if it already wiped something or not (though it shouldn't until a command has been sent). In my experience most of the guides were outdated, so start following one and find there's a new method, then follow another one, then see more updates. Waste of bandwidth. At least everything goes smoothly after installing the recovery, since there's usually only one official download provider for each ROM project.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2012, 08:36 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
It doesn't help though when you're in Odin mode it screams something about do not turn the phone off in any circumstance. There's no telling if it already wiped something or not (though it shouldn't until a command has been sent). In my experience most of the guides were outdated, so start following one and find there's a new method, then follow another one, then see more updates. Waste of bandwidth. At least everything goes smoothly after installing the recovery, since there's usually only one official download provider for each ROM project.
I shut mine off when I flashed it the first time, I didn't have all the required drivers as I hadn't installed Kies prior. No damage. I believe once you see that progress bar moving...then you shouldn't shut it off until it's finished. Used the stock ROM the first time, CWM was a separate install (same method) the second time. Realized after attempt 4 to flash P.A. my CWM wasn't up to date, and updated through CWM, then flashed P.A.

It's a bit of learning curve, but in all honesty, it wasn't that bad.
Old 12/21/2012, 09:54 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
The preassembled back is done fairly well, although you do have to be careful when removing it, and putting it back on. I have heard reports from a certain individual that one of their contacts broke off. Mine works well, but due to the fact I use an Otterbox Defender case, I don't use it very often. The case is too thick for it to make contact, and it's a PITA to take off.

FWIW, it's the exact same back cover I got with my original, with SAMSUNG in the the exact same location. Must be a regional thing.

It does take awhile to get used to. It took me almost two weeks to get the hang of it. I didn't root mine until a few weeks ago, and that was with the stock Samsung TouchWiz ROM, but have since changed ROMs to Paranoid Android.

It seems a little daunting at first. I felt like I was being spun around in circles trying to find the right way to do it, (so many different threads, and forums etc) but it is really easy. I think accessing Alpha feeds in Preware was probably (subjectively) harder to accomplish than rooting this phone....although the instructions were laid out in one location.
I'm going to get a cheap grippy (silocine?) cover from walmart today, to tide me over until I get a 'real' case. I wonder if there is a case that will let me charge on the touchstone? Like you said, I figured the Defender (Otterbox) is too thick. I am ordering a coupld of grippy armor type cases that are very cheap on amazon. One is pretty thin, so less protection but possible wireless charging. Is it possible with the Defender case to only take off the outer case, leaving the inner case on and charge? I was wondering if that might not be such a pain. I do like the defender protection though...and it's belt clip. With a phone this large, I will need to wear it on a belt clip unless I'm wearing slacks with large pockets. Jeans are too constricting to allow something bigger than my Pre2 without warping it. Why are my jeans so tight? I'm so stylin'...that's why.

Old 12/21/2012, 11:25 PM   #18 (permalink)

It will not charge through the inner hard plastic shell, but will if you set the phone inside the soft outer rubber. I've used the belt clip a few times and found it annoying, so I don't use it much....read:at all. If you're wearing skin tight jeans....then it probably won't be very comfortable in your pocket...lol...but for normal jeans I don't have an issue. I usually wear American BDU style pants at work, and have no problems having it in my pocket....Worst case scenario...I put it in one of my jacket pockets.
Old 12/27/2012, 09:32 AM   #19 (permalink)

Well I couldn't find a cheap silicone cover to tide me over until I got a more substantial case (cheaply) from Amazon. I ordered 3 cases...2 are less than $6 each but are coming from Hong Kong...so they will take about 3 or 4 weeks. But I also ordered an Otterbox Defender off Amazon for about $25. It should arrive tomorrow...pray I don't damage my phone before then! So far, I've been very careful...I thought about crossing my fingers too for 'luck', but I found it was hard to hold on to the phone...so I'm sticking with being careful and praying.

Once I get the other two cases, I will give them a try with wireless charging. Perhaps I will have some useful testing results to share in February. That reminds me, I better get busy and order the modded Samsung S3 back from ebay (I don't think I'm capable enough to mod it myself)!

Old 12/27/2012, 09:36 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
Well I couldn't find a cheap silicone cover to tide me over until I got a more substantial case (cheaply) from Amazon. I ordered 3 cases...2 are less than $6 each but are coming from Hong Kong...so they will take about 3 or 4 weeks. But I also ordered an Otterbox Defender off Amazon for about $25. It should arrive tomorrow...pray I don't damage my phone before then! So far, I've been very careful...I thought about crossing my fingers too for 'luck', but I found it was hard to hold on to the phone...so I'm sticking with being careful and praying.

Once I get the other two cases, I will give them a try with wireless charging. Perhaps I will have some useful testing results to share in February. That reminds me, I better get busy and order the modded Samsung S3 back from ebay (I don't think I'm capable enough to mod it myself)!
Be careful, I smashed my screen on day 4 From the hack-jobs I've seen, you're probably better to go with the eBay version.....some of them didn't look very eye-pleasing

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0