webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Other OS's and Devices > Samsung Galaxy SIII....a week and half into it
Samsung Galaxy SIII....a week and half into it
Like Tree11Likes

Old 10/01/2012, 01:39 PM   #21 (permalink)

I could honestly deal with a landscape slider if I had to, but even those are rare now. I was hoping I would find some options for the GS3 since all versions are the same exact form factor (unlike what Samsung has done previously and made the phones different by country/carrier).
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/20/2012, 11:26 PM   #22 (permalink)

I've been gone from the Pre for probably about 6 months? I went to the GS2 and found it initially with mixed feelings. Little did I know that the Sprint Samsung GS2 had it's own version of ICS instead of the non bloatware one like on the nexus. I found custom roms such as AOKP then Paranoid Android and then started liking it better as I was not locked out of customizing the OS to fit my viewing and utilization. The biggest drawback on the GS2 was the really crappy reception of the radio signal and GPS really sucked. It very rarely could lock on. So applications like Navagation didn't work and Google Maps sent me in wrong directions as it put me a couple miles away. The great thing about the GS2 was the powerful CPU. All apps were snappy and fast. Even having many apps opened didn't cause slowness. The size was definitely bigger and probably a bit more useable as the browser supported web sites better. This was definitely a plus. The harder part was trying to get my thumb to extend all of the way to the top of the screen. Some times two hands was the only way to go.
Wimax was okay when you had service. Manytimes going form 3G to WiMax it would connect but never provide internet service... a Wimax problem. You had to toggle the 4G on and off to get it to work.

Anyway, Many of my co-workers got the Verizon or ATT Samsung GS3. They all loved it. GPS works instantly! So mapping and navagation works extremely well. No more getting lost or taking a wrong road. The radio signal seems a bit better than the S2, so that is good. 4G LTE however is non existent in the Washington DC area and I will have to wait till the end of the year before it is rolled out. Other parts of the country is similar. Though tomorrow I'll be in San Antonio, and hopefully will be able to test the 4G LTE speeds and connectivity. 3G however works fine and for the most of the time I don't really need 4G as the apps are lightweight enough on the transfer of data that I really shouldn't notice the difference, only when I upload pictures or download updates on apps or work tethered through USB or Wifi hotspot.
The GS3 seems a bit more manageable with the hand because it is curved a bit so you can stretch the fingers better than with the GS2. So far I love the GS3 and I've rooted it with Paranoid Android ROM which allows for screen configuration for sizing, and tablet like views. Of course, the apps are typically backwards compatible so all of the apps were transferred easily either through Google Play (apps catalog) or by installing the app it self from the SD card.
One thing, Xvid movies don't seem to play with the volume loud enough for some reason. Will have to try other video players.
My 2 cents and I say if the GS2 didn't have the critical bugs with the radio sensitivity or the GPS issues, it's powerful enough and can run Jelly Bean (which is the new Android OS for the Tablets), I would have said I'd skip the GS3. The GS3 is a great smart phone in my opinion and I'm not finding anything i really don't like about it.. Oh.. yes, I do miss the physical keyboard.. the one on the Treo 650 worked best!
bobwonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/04/2012, 07:16 AM   #23 (permalink)

A little update, (not meant to bore, so if you aren't interested don't waste your time .)...almost two months in, now that I have a little more know how with the phone.

I just took my Otterbox Defender case off, the poly-carbonate screen cover is scratched badly, I just filled out an online warranty claim for it. It said normal scratches probably weren't covered, but if it was scratched so badly that it's hard to see through, then a claim could be made. (Not an official statement, just from what I could find from user comments). The phone, aside from a little dust that got in-between and I work in a very dusty environment, appears mint.

I haven't really used the mp3 player. I'm in and out of different vehicles at work all day long, the FM transmitter I have is a little (2 AAA batteries) box on a 3" cord, and not very practical when I have the phone in my windshield mount. I did use it the other day however, just in my chest pocket using the external speaker and I was impressed. (I've blown several of my old Pre- speakers that way). I am unable to use earphones while working, mine are still wrapped up, never used....Although they do look nice, with 3 different sized gel-covers.

The learning curve wasn't too bad...it did take me a couple of weeks to get used to it. Power button and up/back swipes were the hardest to unlearn. Multitasking well it isn't webOS, and to be honest, I still don't have it nailed down, but I have my own way of getting to what I need.

Can't say I'm much of a widget user. The sliding dock is a nice feature, most of my apps that I use the most are in the three docks, with stackable folders as seen in the screenshots.

Someone had mentioned they didn't see what the big deal with LTE was as they couldn't tell the difference on their Pre+ between their DSL and 3G speeds. I notice the difference. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm thinking that's like saying you don't notice the difference between regular gas and premium in your SUV...but try it in a sports car, you notice the difference.

A lot of apps talked about on this site, regarding "must-haves" I have had little to no interest in...or they are simply unavailable for me to use in my country. Examples are WhatsApp(unlimited text messages is in my plan, and I'll tweet if it's international), Pandora(not available outside USA), GoogleVoice(no interest), VisualVoiceMail(no interest)

I'm just listing a few apps here that I use frequently. Maybe someone will get an idea of other interests.
I carried the webOS torch for the last three years, and no, I didn't need all these extra apps, but there are quite a few I enjoy using.
Voxer (push-to-talk...walkie talkie) is a favorite. Also sends map location, as well as able to text and/or send pictures.
Instagram it's fun, you can make some cool pictures, especially if combined with other photo editors.
Color Splash FX. turn a photo into B&W, and re-integrate selective natural colors, or add your own colors.
Gesture Search. Start writing with your finger what you're looking for on your phone, it finds it.

Another cool feature, all my photos are automatically uploaded to Dropbox every time I enter a WiFi area. No need to store locally, or transfer my photos.

When my phone is locked, the In Case of Emergency numbers are available to call as well as 911. Mom, Dad, and girlfriend's phones can be called. Also the message "If this phone is found, please call...." is displayed on the lock screen.

My bank app. Yes I can use the browser, no I don't use it, the app is far easier to navigate around in.

Car Mode will tell me who is calling/texting. No need to look

The alarm clock has a built in quiet alarm that gradually builds until the main alarm goes off. Unfortunately, even at the quietest setting, it, 99% of the time, wakes me up instantly. Nice feature, but I never use a snooze, must be an old army habit. When it's time to wake up, you'd best get up right now.

Forgot about Groupon, I'm a sucker for a good deal.

Last edited by sledge007; 11/04/2012 at 07:56 AM.
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/04/2012, 08:28 AM   #24 (permalink)

the gestures are a big thing when youve used android/fruity/webOS and maybe more, i get so annoyed with myself for repeatedly trying the easy webOS way on other devices and feel i get angry with the other devices for not doing what i want how i want, even if i did get used to the others (which i wont now tbh) it would feel like a large backward step.

apps wise im probably like you, i dont feel the need for the so call "must have" apps i keep seeing, i occasionally try them, but dont really see the point in many, which tbh is how i was suckered (id like to blame others but its my fault) into buying android devices and an ipad3 when a lot of people i see/know or read here kept insisting the grass was greener and id be better off there.

The perfect device to me is one i can do the most with, i kinda hate draggign around multiple devices to do things they each cant do alone, so far webOS gives me the most, easy of use, full geek and normal use seeing as i like my emulators/network abuse/ubuntu/paching the device to suit me etc. Android and apple cant do this much for me, certainly not apple, and android should be able to do some of that but often fails unless i have a specifically supported device for the apps in question, otherwise tis a gamble.

at least your still giving it a good go and hopefully reporting more stuff thats useful to you as a good guestimate of what webOS still requires in the future to catchup.
Old 11/04/2012, 09:49 AM   #25 (permalink)

I notice a difference between wifi (comcast cable) and Sprint 3G, especially dealing with youtube videos. Actually any kind of 4G phone does better than my 3G phone, but since I don't watch video that much its not enough of a big deal to make me even think of of giving up my pre2.

I'm not buying anything that doesn't run webos.
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 11/04/2012, 03:00 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
[snip]
Someone had mentioned they didn't see what the big deal with LTE was as they couldn't tell the difference on their Pre+ between their DSL and 3G speeds. I notice the difference. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm thinking that's like saying you don't notice the difference between regular gas and premium in your SUV...but try it in a sports car, you notice the difference.
[/snip]
Me. That was me.

But then 3G varies from place to place. When i lived in the Pacific Northwest, EVDO signal was at times not available even in the same exact spot, as the signal seemed to drift, and it was much weaker than the same thing in Southern California (Orange County)....

So i think having a cell phone tower only some 150 feet away makes a difference, the transponder saturation (number per square mile per x number of users) is a lot more favorable here than in many parts of the country. It's like Japan in terms of signal quality and available bandwidth.

And, i've heard someone say about 6 months ago that AT&T's 4G connection is a slight bit slower for them than Verizon's 3G (EVDO). I was surprised to hear that, but if that's the case in some locations, then our difference of opinion makes sense now. Bell Canada is GSM-based (SIM cards, etc) like AT&T, i have CDMA-based Verizon, and the 3G speeds of the Big Two in the US never compared well. So if there is bandwidth throttling or a lot of fallback to non-LTE signal for them, then my normal VZW 3G speeds end up on par with their "improved" 4G speeds on the AT&T network, and perhaps this extends to Bell as well.

I'm not saying this is the case between you and i, i'm just saying the 3G is never the same and the difference across networks can be staggering. And the rendering speed of a phone's browser muddles the results even further. I'll do a proper speed test to see what kind of signal i actually get.

And too bad about your phone's screen, both the accident and the OtterBox scratches. I'm thinking, if you stuck a Zagg screen protector on top of brand new polycarbonate shield, it should keep the screen looking new and clean for as long as you keep the phone. If it does get scratched, file a warranty claim on the film

I appreciate your review of the Galaxy. Pretty unbiased, and confirms to me that i won't be upgrading anytime soon, considering the kind of hardware that's considered "new and improved" today. Makes me feel lucky i bought the phones i already have (the stainless-steel-and-mirrored-glass LG flip phone, the N900 running Maemo and my Pre+ with its sturdy resin (polycarbonate?) screen)
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/06/2012, 05:54 AM   #27 (permalink)

@ Remy...yes the screen incident was a little depressing...my own fault, I should have known better. I'm well over it by now though. Really impressed with my response from Otterbox, I sent them the email on Sunday morning around 6, by 9 I had an email back from them saying my new case was being shipped, for free, via FedEx from Colorado...almost straight south from here. I get to keep the parts from the damaged screen ie holster, and the main case. I did order one of those Touchstone covers, so I'm going to try and mod the Defender back so they will work together. I don't think those Otterbox screen protectors are actually designed to work with an additional screen protector, could be wrong, but they are pretty thick as is.

FYI out west Bell Mobility has their own towers in major urban areas, and have an agreement with Telus to piggyback off their towers outside of those areas. The reverse is true for out east, Telus has their own towers in the cities, and piggybacks off Bell's towers outside of those areas. It was part of the agreement made when the two of them allowed each other into their territories.

I worked in cell tower construction for years, and they have pretty controlled operating radiuses. Being directly under a tower (or rooftop) is probably one of the worst places you can be for signal. The antennas are arranged in 3 sectors, 120 degrees apart (typically). They are also angled either up or down in order to limit (or direct) where and how much traffic goes through them. It used to be prior to 3G days, that an antenna could only handle so much traffic, but when they upgraded to 3.5G (called that because it was expandable to 4G) all they had to do was add another tower mounted radio receiving unit, which increased the data flow, and increased volume)

Just a comparison of LTE (above SpeedTest screenshot) and HSPA+ The difference is staggering...and it's not even 5AM right now...so I don't imagine there's an issue with high volume.

Otterbox left Colorado, now in Tennessee, Alberta tomorrow....the scenic route....say hi to Bev for me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2012-11-06-04-50-47.jpg (103.4 KB, 17 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by sledge007; 11/06/2012 at 06:54 AM.
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/06/2012, 08:01 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:

Otterbox left Colorado, now in Tennessee, Alberta tomorrow....the scenic route....
I'm in Tennessee...can I play with the otterbox as it passes through? [I'm guessing FedEx through Memphis? Rats, I'm on the other end of the State!]

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Rockbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by bevcraw likes this.
Old 11/06/2012, 08:12 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
I'm in Tennessee...can I play with the otterbox as it passes through? [I'm guessing FedEx through Memphis? Rats, I'm on the other end of the State!]
Probably coming through my side of the state (Memphis) -- moving other people's packages seems to be our main business here.

The up side is that we have a lot of fulfillment warehouses here. I once ordered a Touchstone on sale from ATT after 4 pm one day and it was in my mailbox the next day.
Old 11/06/2012, 12:01 PM   #30 (permalink)

Thanks for all the updates and in depth review, gives me stuff to think about long term
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Old 11/11/2012, 09:51 AM   #31 (permalink)

I'm with you Sledge - finally retired the pre2 for the android megasupercrazywackyphone.

Didn't go with the galaxy sIII - didn't like the look. Still, it's been a generally great experience. Bigger screen is nice, high resolution is really nice, and I don't miss the hardware keyboard nearly as much as I thought I would - I've been using swype lately and it's -fast-. Best of all, you can really feel the influence webOS had on the newest android builds. Multitasking feels -very- familiar. I've even been using a lot of google-now lately, and it's got a tap/hold swipe-up motion to use it (wish it was just a quick swipe up like the old pre, but hey, we can't have everything i suppose).

There's a few general complaints I could make (battery life is so/so), but I had those complaints with my palm as well.

As for necessary apps - my short list:

Google Chrome
Google Currents (awesome stuff right here, turns various news sources around the internet into neat and clean little magazines that you can set up to be downloaded/stored for online or offline reading - and it's free)
ES file explorer (so nice to switch to "lan" and browse/use all the files on my shared home network)
Dice player (to play the various video files on my home network wirelessly)
MHL video-out with screen off and touchscreen mouse (a custom app that shuts the screen off when you MHL it to a HDTV, and turns the screen of the phone into a mousepad while it's happening - this thing is pretty cool from time to time, basically makes the phone into a makeshift HTPC which has saved me from having to buy/build one for the bedroom)
Skype (video calls with the wife are fun)
Swype (it takes a few days to get used to using it, but once you get it you can text -extremely- quickly)

At any rate, the time had certainly come to move up. The pre (and frankenpre2 and of course the pre3) were fine phones, but they just can't stack up to the latest creme of the crop.

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html

If you find anything I do here is useful, please feel free to
!!!

Long Live webOS and our Palm gear!
ncinerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2012, 01:24 PM   #32 (permalink)

What did you get... Note2?
Old 11/11/2012, 04:27 PM   #33 (permalink)

I also don't like the looks and feel of s3. Saw a girl with a new LG something anroid phone for metro pcs and I really liked it. It was big enough but not crazy big and it felt good in the hand. If I had to switch to android I would want something like that.

PS. I especially don't like the white s3. Beauty in the eyes of the beholder as they say

Last edited by laingman; 11/11/2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11/13/2012, 12:52 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
Saw a girl with a new LG something anroid phone for metro pcs and I really liked it. It was big enough but not crazy big and it felt good in the hand.
If you just saw her, how do you know how it feels in her hand? o_O

I haven't looked at metro phones in over a decade now... good to know they are getting decent phones.

@sledge you get your TS back in yet?
Old 11/14/2012, 05:58 AM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
If you just saw her, how do you know how it feels in her hand? o_O

I haven't looked at metro phones in over a decade now... good to know they are getting decent phones.

@sledge you get your TS back in yet?
yeah, metro is not all crap anymore. Plus they merged with somebody recently so thats good news for people with bad credit or for those who dont want to bother with the contracts. She said she paid $169

Anyway its somebody I know and I used it for a while, even downloaded some music players to try out. I am not sure what size screen it had but it seemed just right, even had some kinda texture to the back which I appreciated unlike the smooth plastic of the S3. At no time did I feel like I was trying not to drop it, it was a pleasure
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 11/14/2012, 06:18 AM   #36 (permalink)

Not yet...mind you this is coming from Hong Kong....when TeckieGirl sent me that shirt, I got it almost 2 months from the time it was post marked.
Old 11/14/2012, 11:44 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Not yet...mind you this is coming from Hong Kong....when TeckieGirl sent me that shirt, I got it almost 2 months from the time it was post marked.
WOW Canadian customs is cracking down and US customs seems to be getting better.

When the Pre3 Mugen batteries shipping from HK, you folks in Canadia got yours before any of the US folks.
Old 11/14/2012, 02:26 PM   #38 (permalink)

Ordered a touchstone wall charger and it took so long I forgot about it

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0